Thread: Preview December 7th 2005

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Preview December 7th 2005

Preview - Danes and Norwegians - Part I

Preview time! This time the preview features the Norwegians and Danes, the viking factions most active in Western Europe.

Some of the units

Norwegian svirrur
    Spear throwing was considered a manly act in both peacetime and war, and these svirrur (comes from the sound of a thrown spear) form a quite cheap unit of javelinmen used by the Danes and Norwegians.

Danish spearmen
    The spearmen, with their famous shieldwall or fylking, often formed the bulk of the viking armies. These men were supposed to take the charge of the enemy. When the formation was broken, the huskarls and other axe or sword-armed troops filled the gaps.

Norwegian Geirrmen
    The best of the viking spearmen used chainmail and were quite capable fighters also against enemy infantry. The most professional viking armies would employ mostly professional spearmen like these to form the shieldwall.

Danish hurkarls
    No viking faction would be complete without the infamous huskarls. Being some of the best axemen in the world at the time, these men serve an important purpose both for fighting in the line, flanking and similar.

Horsemen
    While vikings weren't known for their cavalry, the vikings most likely had the knowledge needed to field a basic light cavalry mostly for chasing routers and scouting out enemy positions. The danes at the end of the period fielded some more professional cavalry, but the Norwegians and Swedish never used anything of higher quality until in the late high Medieval period.

Norwegian Archers
    Without cavalry, the viking armies needed archers for harassing and forcing the enemy into stupid moves. Archers both had the task of demoralizing, harassing and forcing enemy manouvres. As a result, viking archers were often very skilled. Some historians even claim they used longbows, although much evidence suggests these longbows were by no means comparable to those of the Welsh, for instance.

Some special, not very common, units in the Danish and Norwegian armies:

Jomsvikings
    The joms vikings, according to both sagas and historical facts, were a special elite of vikings gathered in the city of Jomsborg, which seems to have been located along the southern Baltic coast in modern Germany or Poland. It's unclear how much is legend and how much of the tales have some substance to them. In any case, it seems clear that these mean were a dreaded elite with high morale and outstanding combat skills, but rare on the battlefields, which is also how they'll appear in AoVaF.

Danish berserkers
    No viking mod would be complete without the legendary berserkers. These men are led into bravery by religious beliefs. The sagas speak of Valhalla, where brave men who died honorably in battle will meet the Gods in the afterlife.

Some of the units in action

Norwegian Huskarls doing well against a group of Danish spearmen.

As the Danish spearmen are about to break, the Norwegians send their horsemen into their rear, while the huskarls continue to chop a way through the surviving Danes.

A Danish general with his huskarls has been surrounded by Norwegian geirrmen and huskarls, but manages to resist the Norwegian pressure despite inferior numbers.

Danish horsemen get a nasty surprise as they foolishly charge an isolated group of Norwegian geirrmen, who manages to turn around to face the threat in time.

The Danish archers desperately resort to their small axes when the Norwegian geirrmen and huskarls charge them from two directions, and put an end the bloody battle.

Danish and Norwegian banners

Norwegian banner

Danish banner

Thanks to www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.use for free image hosting.
    Some of the displayed content units might be work in progress.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 12-07-2005 at 18:16.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Preview December 7th 2005

Excellent!!! OMG...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Great peview!
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

Looks very nice, good work :)

Looking good :)

Keep up the good work.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Daaammmmnnn! Those are some SEXY-lookin' units.

Are the archers going to have an armour-piercing melee attack? (On account of the axes.)

Keep up the good work, men!
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Thumbs up Re: Preview December 7th 2005

Wow... lovely.

Well what can i say other than that's some absolutly fantastic units thre is nothing i can critisise they er magnificant... stil it would do the beserkers good if they had a shield but they er great too without it.. it's just me
    "…Birds of battle screech, the grey wolf howls, spears rattle, shield answers shaft. …Then many a thegn, laden in gold, buckled on his sword-belt. …The hollow shield called for bold men"s hands..."

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mujalumbo
    Are the archers going to have an armour-piercing melee attack? (On account of the axes.)
    Exact unit stats are still being discussed but we have a fairly good idea of what we want in terms of behavior of the units, with the exception for a few details, such as this one. The archers will probably be able to do some harm vs armored opponents when sent charging into their rear, due to their lightness and mobility, but they will for instance not be what militia sergeants in M:TW were. So their strength might end up lying in the charge stats rather than in armor piercing ability.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Wow, this mod is really coming into it's own. Great job, I love all of it. You've done a very interesting thing with the banners, they look great.

Age of Vikings and Fanatics: Total War has officially joined the ranks of EB and Napoleanic: TW as one of the most anticipated mods... of course it doesn't mean much to anyone, but to hell with you!!!...

Looks good!

(but what happened to th spearpoints of those javelins?)

Those banners were superb, and the units looks splendid. Great work.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Looks lovely. The detail on shields and banners is top-class; I also really like the way the units look credible, they actually look more warriors who are used to fighting, more gritty than most other mods.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Everything looks great, guys, but the spearheads on the javelins confuse me too.

The bersekers can't bite their shields when they don't have any. :)

Seriously, this is looking so very great. Colour me impressed.

Very good preview...
    cheers..

cheers for the preview

i specially like this

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y1..._berserker.jpg

i would like to see more big men with long blonde hairs and bears with animal's furs and terrible axes for the northern factions :º) my dream battles

United on Earth Member al'Callaendor's Avatar

Default Re : Preview December 7th 2005

very nice work !
    The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth,
    and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of
    Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet
    fall under the Shadow

Twice and twice shall he be marked,
    Twice to live, and twice to die.
    Once the heron, to set his path.
    Twice the heron, to name him true.
    Once the dragon, for remembrance lost.
    Twice the dragon, for the price he must pay.

Simply WOOOOW...

Excellent paint, excellent historic accuracy, excellent looking, the best banners I ever see in any RTW mod.

I´m eager to see the asturican and andalusian units in action.

Very, very good work.
    Last edited by Nacheras; 12-13-2005 at 18:53.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Preview December 7th 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nacheras
    I´m eager to see the asturican and andalusian units in action.

Very, very good work.

May I say that Skel made his first Andalusian unit and that it totally kick a**
    Last edited by Meneldil; 12-12-2005 at 16:29.

Default Sv: Preview December 7th 2005

Aaaah man this looks so good!!!
    And i second what others said about the banners.

Amazing work guys.

Gwledig of the Brythons Member Agraes's Avatar

AOVAF still THE mod I wait the most

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

Man, this mod looks load-blowingly good!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."