Thread: What did the picts look like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What did the picts look like?

I was just wondering what the picts looked like in the various historical accounts.

I've looked at a lot of Pictish stones and have a general idea of what they wore in terms of clothes and how they wore their hair, but I'm not really sure as to what their hair color was like and things like that.

Default AW: What did the picts look like?

Ginger, i would imagine.

Default Re: AW: What did the picts look like?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyKapp
    Ginger, i would imagine.
    That's what I heard too.

Default Re: What did the picts look like?

Dunk, ugly and constantly bickering over stuff too, I would imagine - at least, that's what their descendance would lead us to believe...
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus
    Dunk, ugly and constantly bickering over stuff too, I would imagine - at least, that's what their descendance would lead us to believe...
    How did the Picts wind up in Greece?

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Picts appearance varied by region and time period. Originally, many were said to have black hair, with long slender faces, and were sometimes considered somewhat short. Those living in the south (in the kingdom of Fibb) were sometimes described with blonde hair though (as they would have been married in with Britons and then Saxons), and in the north, as Gaels influxed from Ireland, a lot of them took on traits like brown hair, and they were no longer called short, but sometimes described as being very tall. They probably originally dressed like most Celts, but after the Gaelic invasions a lot began to dress the same as Gaels (bare-legged, wearing knee-length shirts, a lot of cloaks and robes, etc.).

Don't know why this is asked here though. Picts didn't exist yet. They confederated into a body after the end of EB's period. Till then, it's just Caledonian tribes (some of which dyed their hair a red color, which we'll be representing).
    Last edited by Ranika; 12-15-2005 at 01:07.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.