Thread: How to use JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME)

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Default How to use JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME)

HOW TO USE JONESOFT GENERIC MOD ENABLER (JSGME)

This method is really easy to install-uninstall mods without modifying the original RTW installation.
    All this tutorial is based in RTW 1.2, but some tests show that it is also functional in RTW 1.3 and BI, but not all the features are tested.

First of all it is necessary to download the tool here:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones.../products.html
    (thanks to JoneSoft for this free, useful, and user-friendly tool)

In the package you will find JSGME.exe, that you must copy in the Rome - Total War directory where you want to install the mods.
    In the same directory, create a folder named MODS.

Inside MODS folder you must create one new folder per mod, with the structure of the folders that RTW have. That means the Data folder and all the files inside.
    Here you can see the folder ITW (Iberia Total War), with Data inside and all the files of the mod, except text folder. To sum up: Rome-TotalWar\MODS\mod_name\Data\
    There are animations, campaign or packs, together with folders that don't exist in the original game (marked in blue).
    In addition, there are two aditional mods, with the text files in different languages (in green).
    The structure of those folders are then: ITW_text_English\Data\text\text_file.txt

There are also a folder named !BACKUP that is created by JSGME if it doesn't exit. There you will have the backups of all the original files substituted by the modded ones, so don't touch them.

We are in position to enable the mods we want: click on JSGME.exe (or in the shortcut if you create one).
    The user interface is very simple. Just the list of available mods on the left, the list of activated mods on the right, one button (>) to enable the selected mod and two to disable the selected mod (<) or all the activated mods (<<).
    If the mod is large, the activation may take some seconds up to one or two minutes. When the clock disappears, close JSGME.
    Play RTW as usual.

You can different mods in the same installation, but be careful with the activations.
    Don't activate incompatible mods at the same time, as the backups will be messed up.
    By incompatible I mean mods that share some files, and those of one mod will substitute those of the other one.

The deactivation of one mod won't leave any other trace that some empty folder (those that were not present in the original game) and map.rwm of the new campaign. Just delete it if the mod was substituing the imperial_campaign.

In case of BI the system is similar, although I haven't tried with large mods.
    You can see here an example with the mod for all the factions and the rebels by ER.
    It is at the same time a mod for RTW and BI, but it is in the same folder. The structure is the same for RTW but for BI is:
    Rome-TotalWar\MODS\mod_name\bi\Data

I hope this tool (and this tutorial) will be useful, and all the feedback about features and limitations of this system will be welcome.
    Last edited by Monkwarrior; 12-16-2005 at 16:43.

Default Re: How to use JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME)

Nice tut, but can I, lets say, work on a mod on the same directory as my vannila BI without affecting the original BI.

Quote Originally Posted by killerxguy
    Nice tut, but can I, lets say, work on a mod on the same directory as my vannila BI without affecting the original BI.
    I'm not sure if I've well understood your question.
    For modding, I usually deactivate the mod, make the changes and re-activate. This is just to prevent messing up the files and the backups.

In fact, I'm now working in the campaign part of the mod, so I splitted the mod in two parts, one with all the models/textures for battle units, which is always installed, and other part with all the campaign stuff (buildings, maps...). This is the part I deactivate before doing any modification.

I hope this will help you.

Handy tutorial, nice work Monkwarrior.

Is it normal for the actual mod folders to duplicate in the RTW folder though? As well as being in the MODS and BACKUP! folder? Even though MODS folder was the destination for extracting/ copying the actual mod to?

Hmmm seems my map problem in the other thread has just been answered too.
    Last edited by SomeNick; 04-20-2006 at 05:22.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out Shogun : Total War Mod for RTW in development! >>> http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...p?showforum=97

Quote Originally Posted by SomeNick
    Is it normal for the actual mod folders to duplicate in the RTW folder though? As well as being in the MODS and BACKUP! folder? Even though MODS folder was the destination for extracting/ copying the actual mod to?
    This tool makes a complete copy of your mod in the corresponding data folder of RTW directory, whereas your original copy in MODS folder remains intact (this means that the files are duplicated).
    At the same time, the original files that have been replaced, are "backuped" (is it correct? ) in the BACKUP! folder, and they will be used to restore the clean RTW installation when the mod is deactivated.

This is the reason because two mods cannot be activated at the same time, unless they are completely complementary.
    In case you activate a second mod, the backup of the files of the first mod will replace the original ones in BACKUP! and you won't be able to restore the clean installation any more, because the original files will be lost.

I hope I have answered your question (in spite of my poor English ).

All good.

Thanks again : )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out Shogun : Total War Mod for RTW in development! >>> http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...p?showforum=97

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    In case you activate a second mod, the backup of the files of the first mod will replace the original ones in BACKUP! and you won't be able to restore the clean installation any more, because the original files will be lost.
    And this is why all mod teams should use the -mod: switch and quit relying on other tools to perform functionality that's already available in the RTW exe. Your average user is going to screw his install sooner or later.

ER needs to update his signature:

Cool modders use the built in -mod: switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie
    ER needs to update his signature:
    I'm just happy when people read it.

As I see you've been following this, does this deliver 100% functionality?

I'll happily link to your tutorial when you write it
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    I'm just happy when people read it.

As I see you've been following this, does this deliver 100% functionality?

I'll happily link to your tutorial when you write it
    So far I've been able to resolve everything Orb (aka Centurion Cato) has thrown at me for FRRE using the -mod: switch. There are some things that have to go in the vanilla folder, but they don't have to overwrite anything.

BHCWarman88

This is Really Confusing to me..

What mod enabler should i use for RTW v1.5? U said that it only works up to v1.3.
    Carai an Caldazar!

Is it possible to use JSGME with RTW 1.5? Has anyone done this successfully? When I tried it always had problems with opening the .CAS files after I had activated the mod.

After trying out the program some more with vanilla 1.5 I figured out that it actually works fine with it.

Sorry for a late answer.
    JSGME is working for me in RTW 1.5 (the new version of ITW is released with it).
    For the moment I haven't found any feature of the game that JSGME isn't able to manage.

Does it work for MTW? The link does not work.
    offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombasticus Maximus
    Does it work for MTW? The link does not work.
    Never tried with MTW, but after seeing how it works, I would say: "in principle" yes.

I saw the link didn't work some time ago and I thought it was temporary. Perhaps the company disappeared.

I quick search in google gave me this:
    http://www.beerymod.com/sh3_011.htm

I've found the new home page for this program. Its at http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

ty for the link update and tut.

Champion of the Norse Member Charles the Bold's Avatar

That link is broken aswell.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Not sure anyone uses this method any more, most mods are now mod-foldered so can be installed to same RTW installation without problems. That is recommended method if you're making a new mod.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the: