Thread: Any storms at sea in 1.5 Imperial Campaign?

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Default Any storms at sea in 1.5 Imperial Campaign?

Has anyone seen a storm at sea in 1.5 Imperial Campaign? They were absent from 1.3 Imperial although I saw one in the prologue. So far I haven't seen any in 1.5.

Guess I'll have to try toggling FOW...if I can remember how to do that.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Default Re: Any storms at sea in 1.5 Imperial Campaign?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't played the game long enough with patch 1.5 so I'm not sure about the storms.

Regarding toggling fog of war, all you have to do is press ` and then type toggle_fow.

Ausculta mihi! Tibi dico!

I need to change my armor Member Sir Robin's Avatar

That's true I have not noticed any myself lately.
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Dunno about 1.5 yet, but in 1.3 I've had storms, and I didn't play that version much.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanvs
    Dunno about 1.5 yet, but in 1.3 I've had storms, and I didn't play that version much.
    Storms? or Storms at Sea? They are *not* the same thing. Storms were working, but Storms at Sea appeared broken (again) in 1.3.

?

well, the kind that damages your ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanvs
    ?

well, the kind that damages your ships.
    Floods can do that I believe, and they do occur right by the ocean periodically. It will show rainfall and a watery surface icon, even over water. Disasters are FUBAR in 1.3 and 1.5. They took several steps backwards.

I've been working with this for the past several hours with FOW toggled off. I've tried manipulating the disaster file and cannot trigger anything reliably. I've managed to get precisely 2 floods...and make Etna smoke regularly in about 80 turns of testing for about 20 turns at a stretch, then editing and retrying with a fresh campaign. Etna will go off on its historic schedule, but it will not erupt at random...so far.

Not a single storm at sea so far. Looks broken. If it actually works it is so rare as to be useless.

Another thing that is odd, neither Etna nor the floods have killed *anyone* as best I can tell--some times the message shows zero, zero, sometimes there is no info given.

In campaigns in 1.3 I was able to get a few earthquakes in the desert.

Havnt seen any storms or storms at sea.... but im not playing with FOW switched off. Although i have seen Etna go off since installing the patch.

@Red Harvest: I think in the Imperial Campaign disasters are scripted according to historical occurrence, at least volcano eruptions, earthquakes and the plague in Macedonia are. From what I´ve experienced that does not go for storms, about floods I´m not sure.
    You´ll need to play a provincial campaign to test random occurrence of all disasters.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Ah I remember storms well....

Back in v1.2, you knew when the god's hated you. I lost many more characters in that storm.

I seldom if ever notice them now.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    @Red Harvest: I think in the Imperial Campaign disasters are scripted according to historical occurrence, at least volcano eruptions, earthquakes and the plague in Macedonia are. From what I´ve experienced that does not go for storms, about floods I´m not sure.
    You´ll need to play a provincial campaign to test random occurrence of all disasters.
    The scripting is there for specific events, but there are supposed to be "random" events as well. In 1.2 I could get a number of these to actually fire during the IP. Getting them to fire in 1.3 or 1.5 is very problematic.

These are in the "base" folder used by all, not the IP folder.

Post Re: Any storms at sea in 1.5 Imperial Campaign?

Yeah, it looks as though by default (IE a clean v1.5 text file) the descr_disasters @ \base has many disasters turned off completely. If winter and summer both contain 'false', I'm assuming that these features won't work, regardless of whether they've been scripted in descr_events @ \imperial_campaign.

Even disasters that were common in previous versions of RTW seem to have been ommitted for some reason.

Off-topic:
    What does the horde disaster, which occurs in the sea (climate: temperate_forest_deep) represent? Is it something to do with the spawning of pirate vessels? It would be good to know

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic
    Yeah, it looks as though by default (IE a clean v1.5 text file) the descr_disasters @ \base has many disasters turned off completely. If winter and summer both contain 'false', I'm assuming that these features won't work, regardless of whether they've been scripted in descr_events @ \imperial_campaign.

Even disasters that were common in previous versions of RTW seem to have been ommitted for some reason.

Off-topic:
    What does the horde disaster, which occurs in the sea (climate: temperate_forest_deep) represent? Is it something to do with the spawning of pirate vessels? It would be good to know
    Both being false is acceptable. True would limit it to one season or the other. False means both are possible. So far I've not had any luck altering these switches.

I think the old horde was a pirate ship brigand spawn. Not sure what it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    Both being false is acceptable. True would limit it to one season or the other. False means both are possible. So far I've not had any luck altering these switches.

I think the old horde was a pirate ship brigand spawn. Not sure what it does now.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I would've just assumed that if both seasonal values were 'false', then these would not work in an imperial campaign.

Played part of an imperial campaign recently (although can't remember whether it was v1.3 or v1.5, done a lot since then ), and they were A LOT of half-to-full stack pirate ships milling about in most oceans. Do you think this improves RTW in the sense that more consideration needs to be put into fighting sea battles? Or do you think the frequent and powerful (typically 3 gold chevrons in experience) pirate ships have replaced rival factions' navies, and can be seen as more a hinderence than anything else?

By the sounds of things, if storms at sea were more frequent, the AI pirate ships would obviously suffer the most from this as they appear to have a significantly larger fleet than any other AI-controlled faction.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

I've found in RTW, the pirates are mostly stuck on the left near Iberia, or in the North sea, leaving my modest Julii navy consisting of around 8-10 ships to rule the waves with some kind of maritime equivalent of an iron fist. This is unlike in BI where the gold pirate fleets immediately turn my Romano-British ships into driftwood as soon as they leave port.

So to CA I say, bring back the storms!

Plus allow us to drown stubborn admirals who refuse to join other admiral's fleets!

And let us also drown the unwanted sprogs of our most perverted inbred generals before they mature and turn our faction's family tree into a bunch of crippled six-toed, chinless nancy boys who jump whenever they see their own shadow and who can't wield anything mightier than a wooden tea-spoon in battle!

If it's not too much to ask.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

I haven't seen any storms at sea in my current v1.5 VH campaign. I've seen one flood.

Yeah, floods happen occasionally in RTW v1.5. As mentioned in other topics, once you receive a flood in a province, the damage done to the terrain is irreplaceable. Even with various types of roads present, any unit's movement points are signifcantly reduced, and in some cases units move across the terrain rather than stick to the road.

Think once a flood occurs, the settlement garrison is unharmed (although buildings may be damaged), but any units ungarrisoned in the province will take casualties. Think this is the same with volcanic eruptions.

RTG Main Topic

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

I don't think that game even parses descr_disasters.txt file (the one containing info about random disasters, not the one about historic ones).

For test, fill descr_disasters.txt file (data\world\map\base) with bunch of garbage characters.

Then delete map.rwm (so that map info gets regenerated).

Start campaign, play several turns, exit.

Not a single error message, nor crash (even with -show_err option).

P.S.
    It would be good if someone else could confirm this with his own testing.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

I have had floods and earthquakes in 1.5 BI...

what is strange however that an amry in the field got hit massivly by an earthquake. An army in openfield, no trees to fall on their head or rock slides... I lost 60% per unit of that army... and it was a full army.. ouch!

Would be more logical to have that mortality rate in a city...
    carpe noctum (and their women!)

In all things, look to history Member Pontifex Rex's Avatar

No storms since the early games but I just had a flash flood that hit Thssalonica afew years back that killed 93 soldiers and 521 people. The flood showed quite nicely on the map.
    Pontifex Rex

let me ask an interesting question (for me at least heh):

is the player still alerted to disasters that occur outside of their fog of war?

No storms at sea in my 1.5 Carthage campaign (and I control the entire Mediterranean), though I did get a random earthquake a few turns ago.

I remember a storm at sea in my Makedon campain last days. I also noticed the usual Vulcan eruption at Capua and the Makedon plage early on.

Edit: Yes, I speak about 1.5
    Last edited by teja; 03-03-2006 at 20:53.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Well Vulcan eruption and Macedon plaque are not random events. They always happen at predefined time.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

However: Storms happend in my campains several times now. I think they wait for invasion fleets filled up with soldiers which is no fun ..grrrrr

Just got a flash flood in my Carthage game in, of all places, Dimmidi. Now there's a big lake right in the middle of the Sahara desert....