Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod

Default Re: DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod

sounds very impressive and a lot of hard work

hmm yeah, it is a great mod :) and i suppose buu's skiing holiday is also impressive and a lot of work?

I would like to suggest some modifications/addictions to Dux Mod relating to the game “mechanism” and to the units:

Venice :- PAVISE SPEARS- Spear with Pavise (typical italian inf) slow (you can use Paesants bif)- replace mtw general chivarly sergents
    - LIGHT CAV- (in italian Cavalleggeri) Spear or sword ,Fast,low cost
    - BELLATORES- Light infantry-axe-poor defence-good morale-fast
    - ITALIAN MERCENARY-(Milanese,Florentine,Pisan and other..)-medium infantry-replace generic mtw Order foot.
    - Add for Venice and Latin states SAILORS -generic marine infantry armed with bow

Latin States:- MELINGOI JAVELINMEN- Light infantry-Jav-axe-small shield-poor armour-fast
    -GREEK ARCHONTES-medium cav-
    -ITALIAN MERCENARy-up
    -PAVISE SPEARS-up

Papal :- ROMAN NOBLES - Knight-cav (same as feudal)spear,small shield
    - ITALIAN MERCENARY-up

Hre : - BRABANCON MERC.CAV -Horse Archers,small shield,sword
    - SAXON AXEMEN -medium infantry(60 men),axe ,no shield,poor armour,good morale
    - LOW COUNTRIES PIKEMEN -medium inf-pike-no shield-medium low morale-poor armour

England :- WELSH MERCENARY CAV-Light cav-sword-small shield- fast
    :- BIDOWER- (Gascon) -light infantry -javellin-small shield- axe-poor armour ,good morale-fast

Sveden :- SKYTTEN- armoured cav with crossbow-good armour-sword-high cost-

Bulgars :- VOYNUK MERCENARY- (serbian) medium infantry (100), spear,discipled
    - VLASTELA MERCENARY- (serbian) Knight-cav ( same as feudal)
    - ZAMANITCHKA VOYSKA(serbian)-replace generic mtw Slav Warriors (the same but in slav lang)
    - ZERA-Horse archer- replace generic mtw horse archer
    - VLACH CAV- medium cav

Hungarian:- CROATIAN INFANTRY-medium infantry(100)-spear-
    -JOBBAGIONES CASTRI-Heavy infantry(60)-sword-small shield-
    -ZAMANITCHKA VOYSKA-up

France :- BRABANCON MERC. CAV.-Horse archers,small shield,sword
    - FLEMISH SPEARS - medium infantry(100)-spear-large oval shield-

I think could be nice to translate the name of the following units in Greek(for Byza)and add this:

Byzantine
    - VARDARIOTAI or PARAMONAI-imperial guard-elite (40 men) - sword and oval shield-
    - KONTARATOI-Heavy infantry(100)-spears-discipled...replace mtw generic Byzantine infantry.
    - SKYTHIKON - Horse archers-fast-sword-small oval shield-
    - LATINIKON -(frank cav same as feudal cav or Knight)
    - PELTASTOI - light infantry -jav -fast-poor armour-medium morale-small shield-axe
    - KATAPHRAKTOI-I dont Know why you not included this cav....
    - GEORGIAN MERCENARY-You can make a unit with 60 men with sword and oval shields like feudal maa (use Viking bif) or like Mtiulebi.

For crossbow and pavise crossbow were only mercenaries not native units in Byza Army.
    If possible, remove or replace generic mtw names "Chivalry" or" Order" for all factions.

Referring to the game play I think that a decrease in the cost of Horse archers should be advisable. 500 florins for a “spendable” unit seems much (on my opinion) and in fact I didn’t see many gamers expose themselves to the archers/xbows shooting. Losses caused by Horse archers with a lower price should acquire a greater “value” and could became more “important” in the battle overall economics. The same is, on my opinion, for the CUMAN CAV whose price is too high. If you consider the hipotesys not to use it in skirmish its price is overestimate. Of course I agree that the price of a CAV unit with ranged weapon should be high considering the “double” opportunity of this unit to cause damage to the enemy … anyway this “opportunity” seems more theoretical than real if we consider the great “fire power” of archers and xbows… so the real employ is when inf are in close combat staying behind them..

I realize that the cost of all units has been proportioned but a lower price for CAV ARCHERS should promote a nicer “SKIRMISH PHASE”.

I think also that could be good to add in each faction some new “HIBRID UNITS” to use as infantry support. I will try to provide in next post some more detailed info about other factions..

Greetings..

Max the Leveller cannot write on this forum but to greet all vik players
    Last edited by _mas_; 01-06-2006 at 15:52.

why can max not post?! and i didnt read that whole post (looked a bit long) but the improvement i saw looked about right, dont forget tho, danish nobles should be cheaper, and danes should get scandinavian axemen :)

why can max not post?!
    I think because he is a new member(Junior member) cannot post now...
    Last edited by _mas_; 01-06-2006 at 16:57.

o, okay :P

Good suggestions there, they 're all taken into account and when Buu returns, we 'll see what can be realised. But do keep in mind:

-We have only 255 slots for units and we already use 210, so I would prefer not to have the same unit with a different name occupy an extra slot, eg. like the Latinikon, which is represented by Latin Knights at a +100 cost or the skythikon, already represented by various steppe mercs. I can comment many of them, and will start to discuss thoroughly about them when work for the patch is about to commence (a week I guess). Then we'll try to find the right graphics for any additions and hopefully even get some completely new ones;)

-Horse Archers are priced 400, same as a Pavise Crossbowmen unit, and they may have -2 def compared to them and naturally a lower armour rating, but: they are a fast cavalry unit, they have +1 charge, +4 ammo and a considerably faster shooting rate. So they are fulfilling quite distinct roles, and can be used as flankers to great effect, given that the morale level is lower than VI 10k, thus upgrading the use of fast cavalry, nomatter what their combat stats are. They also carry out one of the most important missions in the current game, that of chasing routers. We 've already seen quite a few games with the routed army regrouping and then picking one by one the dispersed enemy units. The use of HA is more related to how a player uses them than all other unit types. When a single HA can go easily to the other flank, and your pavs or archers must make a small sprint there, then you get some tactical flexibility, making the enemy dance to your tune. Dispensible they are not;) I can't really stress the importance of having such a unit when the enemy is unable either to catch em, or has to weaken his pav line. That's why you'll see people getting archers, apart from their xbows.
    Also Cuman HA cost 1000 for the Cumans and 1100 for all others. If you take into account all their stats (3-3) and abilities, then you get not a HA per se, but a flexible fast cav which can fight, charge effectively non-knights, shoot, catch all other fast cav (as it is within the fast+1 category, giving them a charge boost) and as such, it is a significant investment.

-Hybrid units are quite plenty I'd say, and they should remain a property of mostly eastern armies, as to portray their reliance on a different set of tactics than westerners. It really does add up to variety.

Regarding Scurv's suggestions, the danish axemen are already quite powerful, with an attack of 5+AP and a defense of 5 as well. One thing's for sure, their morale will be lowered, no doubts about that. Maybe a -1 defense is also in order, so that their def score will be more in line with their armour rating of 4, and will reduce their ability to withstand lots of punishing (as a mrl of 9 and def of 5 can prove quite a pesky unit on hold at times). Also, if you're referring to Svean Axemen, they are a faction specific unit, Danes are already powerful in all aspects, the Sword Brethren Cavalry makes 'em strong in a field where historically Scandinavian factions suffered.
    Last edited by L'Impresario; 01-06-2006 at 19:26.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

i dont give a @£&%! about historical accuracy

Well don't worry, historical accuracy doesn't give a "atpoundandpercentexclamationmark" for you as well;)
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -Version 0.4 is out

well atpoundandpercentexclamationmark you!

And here's some info regarding some weird CTDs that occurred during the loading screen for no apparent reason:
    About 7 units (Voi,DanishNobles,MazovianSpearmen, RussianHalberdiers,PestMilitia,NeapolitanInfantry,CatalonianFootKnights) who use 2 specific "body types" can cause a CTD when they are picked and their faction colour is among the new faction ones, apart from their own (eg. Novgorod Militia can use the novgorod faction colours without problems). So until this issue is taken care of, it's advisable that you avoid taking a different new faction colour when playing with the Polish,the Novgorodians, the Russians/Kievans, the Hungarians, the Sicilians, the Aragonese and the Papacy, at least if you intend on using the above-mentioned units.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -Version 0.4 is out

Hello All !.

Im back from holiday now, hope you all had a happy new year.

Me and Alex will be starting work on a small a patch for the next version of Dux. All feedback has been taken on board and will be descussed in detail before we proceed. Thanks eccpecially to MaxTheLeveller for his detailed suggestions.

The patch will be completed by next weekend at the latest. Untill then we will be in the final stages of playing and testing the current version and hope some of you can join me if you're not too busy.

Ill be online today from about 7GMT onwards. See you then !

Thanks All!

Buu
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

glad you had a happy holiday, and look forweard to patch ^^

Thanks eccpecially to MaxTheLeveller for his detailed suggestions.
    ehhmmmm......Lol mine suggestion....... Max only greet all and translate my post

About Skytikon:

Its true Skytikon its a generic terms .....
    but the Latinikon not allowed for Byza

About Western European light infantry support:

We can create (see my suggestion) hybrid light infantry support with decent attack but poor
    defence (gascon bidower for example) can be USABLE infantry....(300-400 florins max)
    Same way for javelin men can be upgraded in attack and armed with small axe and jav....

MTLIULEBI was a medium infantry(60)too, armed with sword

For Egyptian can you add KURDISH JAVELINMEN light infantry ,jav and axe

Sorry for my Zulu's English

Mas
    Last edited by _mas_; 01-08-2006 at 16:49.

Well, Latinikon is the Latin Knights unit as I mentioned before...the Byz should have them, according to the Unit_Prod file.
    Western Factions do have hybrids, such as Gascon Crossbowmen, Longbowmen, Order Foot Crossbows, Scandinavian Mercenaries, etc, but they can't be made very good in hand to hand combat. 300-400 florins is the price of most archers who have 2-3 combat points, like Thuringian archers, Bulgarian Brigands, Dejma. They can be used effectively for flanking but don't pit em vs strong units. That's the idea with Javellins as well. They shouldn't be able to fight, unless they are multi purpose units like Vlach Auxillaries, Nubian Javelinmen etc.
    I'll be back with more later;)
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -Version 0.4 is out

I think we should have a unit of pirates :P also im finding archers great in combat compared to vi....

Hungarian arc-cav shield Szekely

Yes, I know the site this pic's taken from heh
    Those crazy hungarians, so many horse archery sites ;)

Regarding archers, they appear to be stronger indeed, due to somewhat higher morale and less cavalry charging them around. But the vanilla archers do have a -1 to defense vs cav, although the fact that they are usually less tired by the point they enter battle is a decisive factor. But I guess you are referring mostly to crossbows, which need a little softening before a charge. In 3v3s and 4v4s they are in more precarious situations tho, and rout accordingly.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -Version 0.4 is out

well actually i wasnt, i never use xbows

i meant that scandinavian archers and others (those djema things) all seem much better than before, to the extent i feel i gain more from 4 scandinavian mercs than 2 xbows and 2 other units....

Scandinavian mercs, dejma and such units are on the "elite" end of archers, more like hybrids (scand mecs mostly). They do cost more than normal archers and xbows leaving other parts of your army weaker, plus if you don't want them to die when faced with a pav or a disposable archer unit, you 'll prolly have to rush heh
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -Version 0.4 is out

or cav the buggers :P

Sorry mas, i thought it was Max's words you were posting. Thankyou for your input m8.

I think there is more people playing Dux mod now in the evening than playing regular VI

I'll let you all know when a patch is released, it will be a very small one i expect just to correct a few errors and maybe add a few more new units ;)

See you all later
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

yeah, a very good game yesterday evening (shame i lost ) but im nout sure about more than regular vi players? :P maybe one day :D

On more players in DUX than in VI, it happens from time to time, like few days back we had 4v4 battle in DUX when all in all there were only 15 players in lobby (and i bet most of them were in MTW).
    Think that future looks bright for DUX
    ˝...then the Lord said, thou shalt not rush or thou shalt be crushed...˝ Book of Luke, Letter to N00bs
    Bow to me or the hippie gets it

If you want replace shield,this is a JPEG 256 col. 8 bit need to convert to bmp ...

1-Hospitallier
    2- "
    3- "
    4- Genoese Crossbowmen
    5- English Foot Knights
    6-Teutonic Order
    7-Teutonic Foot Knights
    8-Usable for Russian/Byzantine

Only a test on Druzhina, itsnt nice but need correctly scale it.......

Greetings

Mas
    Last edited by _mas_; 01-13-2006 at 16:02.

i like the english one :p

Hmmm the last one could be used for Druzhina inf cause right now they take the prize for the most ugly shield in DUX
    ˝...then the Lord said, thou shalt not rush or thou shalt be crushed...˝ Book of Luke, Letter to N00bs
    Bow to me or the hippie gets it

hmm its close competition, have you seen the catalonion guard shileds?

A very big thankyou to Tosa Inu for creating the following hotlinks to the Mod download an to this thread.

Anyone who wishes to download or learn more about this mod, please direct them to the following:

http:\\mizus.com\dux - for direct download
    http:\\mizus.com\infodux - to a direct link to this topic

Cheers !
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast