Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROMANI: The MOST powerful and easy faction...

Default Re: ROMANI: The MOST powerful and easy faction...

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    You'll have won by 200BC... You won't even get to see the Marian Reforms.
    50 provinces is no longer the victory conditions.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

My Iberian Campaign went a bit better than my African. I was able to knock out KH, however, Iberia then knocked me out shortly after.

But no problem. Sweboz are preoccuiped with Phalava and the Getai. THey have the Aedui as their protectorate, so the Aedui are some what passive.

Avernii attemped to attack me on my home base, Italy, and I responded back by sacking 4 of their provinces (made me a Gallicus!).

I slaughtered almost all their fully stacked armies with a combination of Triari (phalanx) backed by peltasts. I took the forum's advice and saved my javelins for the Gaestae. Boy did that work, I crushed them real quick, and finished them off with my Gallicus and his bodyguard, who are responsible for the morale of all my troops! I can't lose with this guy!

But the Camillian reforms have come so know I'm going to build some reformed armies. Iberia is starting to advance into Gaul, and their armies are a bit tougher than the Averni.

Carthage is at war with the Ptolemies. I was thinking about capitalizing on this and sacking the coast line again, but rather I want to secure Gaul first.

The poor Yeuzhi

Hellas are moving about, never seen them here before.

War above Greece

No one has dominant claim in this area, yet.

Some pointers. Protectorate nations, like the Yuezhi, Aedui, and the Sarmarotae- are all exteremly passive. They don't rebel against their masters and don't expand much, if at all!
    Last edited by Chester; 01-04-2006 at 12:02.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

In the new victory conditions, does protectorate owned province count as owned province, i.e. if the objective is hold region ABC, isn't it enough if the protectorate faction holds that province or do you have to hold it personally?

BTW I'm sure the game won't be finished by 200 BC. I've already taken all easy grabs, now the hard part remains. However when I attacked my ally Iberia my diplomat managed to make them a protectorate, which made my economy flourish so I can build plenty of temples and better roads in Gaul. After some thinking, I decided not to conquer Greece and instead send the legion intended for Greece to Africa, to eliminate the Karthies as a threat together with my general Africanus. I only need to take one more settlement to the west, then their influence in Africa is confined to their Saharan and southeast African settlements, which will simplify things a lot. In the meantime, the legion in Iberia will be sent through the Iberian territories and south to crush the Carthaginian influence in the peninsula.

At the same time, the Getai gave me an offer I couldn't refuse - alliance and map information, the latter revealed that they had expanded A LOT - almost 10 provinces or so. Even better - they were at war with the powerful Sweboz, and I had previously noticed how karthies, getai and sweboz had been allying with each other forming some kind of pact against me with the Aedui, before Aedui were eliminated. This alliance quite effectively crushed the pact plans.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 01-04-2006 at 13:05.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

In the new victory conditions, does protectorate owned province count as owned province, i.e. if the objective is hold region ABC, isn't it enough if the protectorate faction holds that province or do you have to hold it personally?
    No, they don't - we can't do anything when it comes to protectorates. Except bug them so that they generate infinite amounts of money for the protector.

After some thinking, I decided not to conquer Greece and instead send the legion intended for Greece to Africa, to eliminate the Karthies as a threat together with my general Africanus. I only need to take one more settlement to the west, then their influence in Africa is confined to their Saharan and southeast African settlements,
    How was the Carthagian resistence? Did the PTolemaic armies march in on you while your troops were in Africa?

I found Carthagian armies much more difficult in battle than the barbarians. The phalanx is more difficult to beat than Gallic heavy infantry, imo. My Triari phalanx merely held a tight line for the barbarian's to fall against, then my peltests, positioned behind my triari, just fired javellins on them unmercifully.

I could route entire Avernii Armies with minimal losess. I'm talking about 2000 kills to 100 losses.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    How was the Carthagian resistence? Did the PTolemaic armies march in on you while your troops were in Africa?

I found Carthagian armies much more difficult in battle than the barbarians. The phalanx is more difficult to beat than Gallic heavy infantry, imo. My Triari phalanx merely held a tight line for the barbarian's to fall against, then my peltests, positioned behind my triari, just fired javellins on them unmercifully.

I could route entire Avernii Armies with minimal losess. I'm talking about 2000 kills to 100 losses.

I'm enjoying killing the barbarians too (Getai in my case) although I take a more traditionally roman approach as opposed to phalangites. I do fear proper phalanxes though, my wars for Sicily and the first punic war were very dear.

I used Leuce Epos. They are almost perfect, as they are heavy enough to charge after the javelins are expended. The trick is to engage your infantry but keep them from dying for long enough... Another good trick is to use roarii and such to charge the phalanxes' sides while your hastati are frontally engaged. Or some mercenary Gaesatae.... So beautiful
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Strategically, the carthaginian resistance is really difficult, with all their settlements, good economy and quite good troops. Their phalanxes are great, but since they lost their key settlements in North Africa they've only been able to field quite crappy troops in Africa (elephants being an exception - but sotaroas with fire missiles handle them pretty well) so they've been quite easy in the battles, but they have some good troops in Iberia, which I'm about to face. The Ptolemaioi haven't interfered yet, probably because I've still not gone further east than Kart hadast (and the settlement just south of it) itself, but I intend to do so now that I landed a second legion in the region.

So, in total I have 3 legions and one half army (of auxiliaries and mostly cavalry) engaged in fighting the carthies, whereas I could handle the Arverni with 1 legion, and the Aedui with 2 legions. I expect to be able to deal with Iberia with 1 legion, maybe 2 if I can afford it, and when the time comes, Epeiros, Macedon and Greece with 1 or 2 legions. So I can say the carthies are probably the toughest opponents of the Romani.

The gauls were easier to beat in battle, because like you said they're fairly easy to rout. Leuce epos, equites and general's bodyguard to their rear works very well after pinning with infantry. I managed to destroy the Arverni before they managed to field any better troops, but the Aedui were tougher. In one battle I faced an army with 3 gaesatate but leuce epos and sotaroas are great . If they concentrate all their fire on the gaesatae, they often inflict enough casualties to make for a quick rout once the close combat starts, and a cavalry charge hits the gaesatate.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Two questions question:
    - there was some talking about early and late principes/triarii before the OB release. How are the late principes/triarii unlocked?
    - after the marian reforms, are the reformed legionaries available for recruitment also in level II governed settlements?
    Under construction...

1. Currently late Triairii etc. are unlocked after 209 BC but this will change too.

2. They should be and will be but I think currently they are not.

Ya reforms hit some time during the 209 season, although Rome in my campaign can't built any.

Only Triarii or all Polybian units?
    Only the city Roma or the whole faction?
    Last edited by cunctator; 01-04-2006 at 19:51.

Gah, the protectorate bug kinda ruined my Romani campaign, so I reloaded an older save before Iberia became my protectorate, and the campaign got very enjoyable again. I checked and it seems EB adds money to all non-player factions at the end of a turn, which is a great idea considering how the base AI is quite crippled (but also the cause of the protectorate bug). I'm sad to hear the legions aren't implemented yet, but hopefully I'll be done before 180 or 170 BC, so that I won't need marian reforms (but polybian reforms).
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 01-05-2006 at 21:19.
    Under construction...

The city of Roma can't create the 209 reforms. The reforms introduce new hastati, Triarii, and Princeps.

Iberia have been breaking my back now for a few turns. I blockaded most of their ports (I probably wasted more in ship upkeep then Iberia did in trade decline) and took out two of their most powerful and experienced armies. Both were pyhrric victories but meh. I can tell I've hurt them economically since they now make arimes of skirmishers rather than heavy infantry.
    Last edited by Chester; 01-05-2006 at 20:40.

What are you all talking about with the reforms? Are they bugges or something? Explain to me, or point to a thread which explains or something... I've been greatly looking forward to these reforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    What are you all talking about with the reforms? Are they bugges or something? Explain to me, or point to a thread which explains or something... I've been greatly looking forward to these reforms.
    Well... from what is being said, it seems that there are reforms for the Romans at 209 B.C. whereby they get new Hastati, Principe and Triarii units.

Yes that is historically correct i believe... Where's the bug?

Not sure what bug you're talking about...

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Like Dayve, I'm a little puzzled by some of the statements in this thread that seem to imply a bug with the reforms. This for example:

The city of Roma can't create the 209 reforms.
    Does it mean that you can't build late hastati etc after 209 in Roma? If not, what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Does it mean that you can't build late hastati etc after 209 in Roma? If not, what does it mean?
    When I have questions about bugs, I go to the bug forum :P Just sayin.
    Oh, and also the Roman and Seleucid flags seem to be switched.

I've been looking forward to those reforms

Is there an easy way i can fix this myself? or will i have to start a campaign as someone else...

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeroFromVero
    When I have questions about bugs, I go to the bug forum :P Just sayin.
    Thanks for the heads up MeroFromVero. Since the reforms still work in other cities, it is not a biggie. I just survived the 14AD bug, so I can survive this!

In my game, I'm unable to build the NEW reformed units in ROMA the CITY. In the city of ROMA I can only create the old units.

All my other cities on the Italian penninsula are able to build 209 reformed units, just not in ROMA.

This has already been reported in the bug forum.

This is the gameplay forum.

Potatoes, potàtoes.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

I was just clarifying to the others since I seemed to confuse them.

In that case I'll forgive you, this one time.

Don't let it happen again.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12