Thread: When do the Marian reforms start? (spoiler request)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default When do the Marian reforms start? (spoiler request)

Can anyone tell me when the Marian reforms happen in EB? I understand from the previews that there are two reforms (one separating early/late pre-Marian units; one Marius itself). But when do they happen? I ask because with 4 seasons, I suspect it is quite a wait and it may be frustrating to keep hoping for something that is a while off. Also, if there are any special requirements - like vanilla's imperial palace - can anyone tell me what they are?

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Default Re: When do the Marian reforms start? (spoiler request)

The reforms currently occur at 107 BCE exactly, and there are no additional requirements. Later we'll make the date change dynamically depending on game state.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

There is also a Camillan reform prior to the Marian reforms, which should give everyone more familiar hastati, principes, triarii, velites, and equites. I cannot recall which specific date on which it happens.

We plan on making the reforms more dynamic, based on factors which led to the reforms in the first place. Such as Rome going to war against particular cultures, leading to a change in equipment and tactics.
    Cogita tute

That will take awhile. It takes 3 mintues for the AI to make all it's turns (I'm in 226 BC). (granted at the start of the game it takes mere seconds, but builds on fast)

Not taking into account my moves. 4 turns per year * 165 years*3 minutes per turn

That totals 33 hours, not including my moves, to get to the marian reforms from the start.

If I spend 8 minutes (this is conservative to take into account the error on the assumption that the 3 mintures for AI happened continuously) per move that would bring the total up to 121 hours, or 5 days worth of Straight playing.

Is there any way to speed up the AI's 3+ minutes.
    Last edited by Chester; 12-29-2005 at 12:00.

Short of buying new hardware? Just hope they can optimise it somewhat I guess.

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

The first reforms happen in 209 BC, so you'll get something new to play with relatively soon

Clock how long the AI takes in on your CPU in the later campaign. If it's under a minute then it's my cpu that sucks.

I don't recall it being this slow in Vanilla. It was always really fast. RTR and EB both slow down greatly during the AI turn in the mid-later campaign.

To my mind, the longer it takes the better, what's the point of seeing everything the game has to offer straightaway?

It's not a race, it's about having fun, and for me, that means taking ages over things, this is not a historcial version of Doom afterall.

Well, 100's of hours and straight away are both extreme ends. I don't think I would want the reforms to happen in 2 hours of game play.

My biggest problem is the 3 mintutes it takes the cpu to make it's moves in the mid to late game. It's very boring waiting around. I often play my guitar during this wait. Or read a book or go make some tea.

Infact, I don't play RTR or EB without my guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mark
    The first reforms happen in 209 BC, so you'll get something new to play with relatively soon
    Yep. All it takes is 20 hours of nonstop playing. Or 14 hours with just pressing "end turn".

hee hee
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Inepticus
    It's not a race, it's about having fun, and for me, that means taking ages over things, this is not a historcial version of Doom afterall.
    Uh, what?

Default AW: When do the Marian reforms start? (spoiler request)

Also, I can't imagine it's possible to reach the Marian reforms in the OB without any unavoidable CTDs.

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Feel free to consider the Marian reforms as an unimplemented feature, to be included later, if it helps.
    Cogita tute