Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Greatest Generals

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Default Your Greatest Generals

Do you have any interesting generals that you want to tell about? Here's the place to post their screenshots and tell their stories. They don't necessarily have to have a lot of Command stars or Management scrolls. Maybe they've gotten some unusual traits or ancillaries, or have obtained high office in their faction. Perhaps they've won at the Olympics, or achieved greatness through conquering some city or ancient landmark.

(You can get a good screenshot, clear of clutter, in the PreBattle scroll (where you have the option to fight or run away), by clicking on the general's portrait).

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Your Greatest Generals

As the Romani, I got one with "Vanquisher of the Galli" a few minutes ago, which I'm pretty proud of as it's still only 260 BC. I decided my fleet wasn't ready for an invasion of Carthage so I halted my expansion south after taking Sicily, and concentrated on expanding north, contrary to what the real roman policy seems to have been. After taking most of the rebel cities, 1 Aeudi city in northern Italy and 2 Arverni cities (Gergovia and the city with a name resembling "Vienna"), I got the message that my general could perhaps soon go to Rome and declare himself Imperator . He only has 2 command stars, but that'll hopefully be possible to change in the coming decade of warfare in Gaul...
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 12-30-2005 at 23:03.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Chremonides for Koinon Hellenon. He didn't have a single command star or white management thing, but he had 10 influence. He had a bunch of philosopher type ancillaries, the only one I remember of the top of my head is Zeno. He led my armies into a lot of battles against Macedon and lost almost as many. His troops had no confidence in him and his movement points were restricted because of injuries sustained in battle. His only victory against a substantial Macedonian force was outside of Chalkis in 270 BC. He and most of my army died defending Athens in 264. His son died the same turn in an unsuccessful defense of Thermon.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    Chremonides for Koinon Hellenon. He didn't have a single command star or white management thing, but he had 10 influence. He had a bunch of philosopher type ancillaries, the only one I remember of the top of my head is Zeno. He led my armies into a lot of battles against Macedon and lost almost as many. His troops had no confidence in him and his movement points were restricted because of injuries sustained in battle. His only victory against a substantial Macedonian force was outside of Chalkis in 270 BC. He and most of my army died defending Athens in 264. His son died the same turn in an unsuccessful defense of Thermon.
    Cool story! Sounds like your typical Athenian.

My pride and joy. After 14 years of warring with neighboring tribes on the British Isles, conquered all of it with his loyal troops. He has way too many traits to capture in a screenshot, even in the pre-battle screen. So much more to say about the man and the campaign...... but..... too tired...... right now......

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Wow, I've never seen an EB general with stats like that...
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    Wow, I've never seen an EB general with stats like that...
    Barae always gets great stats like that (unless he dies early on, of course). To be honest, if it wasn't for barae my casse campaign would have turned out somewhat differnt.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Ah? Maybe we've missed something in his traits.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Since when does he get stats like that? I've never seen that, but I've also not had a chance to play the latest release. That seems pretty off.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

I've gotten him with 10 Influence, 10 Management, and 8 Command before with some bonuses to command so he always fought with 10 anyways. No screenies though since my computer started going crazy.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

My best general has 10 influence, 10 management but only 2 command... Despite him having fought loads of battles and taking many cities... He first saw action in a campaign to bring all of northern Italy under Roman control... Which he did very well... Then he was rushed to Sicily with his army after the Cartheginians annihlated my army there... He destroyed the Cartheginian army as they had done to mine, then exterminated the population of Lilibeo as punishment since it was Carthage who started the war for no apparent reason...

Since then i've taken Aleria and Caralis (forgot their EB names) and exterminated those too... The Cartheginian cities have such high populations... I'm having to exterminate every city i take! Which doesn't bother me... They are baby killing scum afterall.

Barae has gotten those kinds of stats every time I've played the Casse, haven't found another general that the traits are that friendly to yet.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambiorix
    Barae has gotten those kinds of stats every time I've played the Casse, haven't found another general that the traits are that friendly to yet.
    That will be tweaked, he definitely shouldn't be getting stats like that so easily.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Ranika forced us to make Barae an uber-general, under threat of ancient Celtic torture implements.
    Cogita tute

when roman generals gain the vanquisher trait, it says something along the lines of troops being able to declare their general imperator and gain a triumph in rome, has anyone's general achieved this yet? and if so how much does it take?

Quote Originally Posted by mattholomew
    when roman generals gain the vanquisher trait, it says something along the lines of troops being able to declare their general imperator and gain a triumph in rome, has anyone's general achieved this yet? and if so how much does it take?
    Funny you should ask...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58979

I would definitely love to see someone take screenshots of their progress towards a triumph versus any faction!

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Hehe, one of my Epirote generals, Helenus, was a total disapointment rotting in Taras with nothing but negative traits...

until, he got married that is...

His wife gave him a trait that gave him 1 influence point, and where that took him...

He is now my faction heir (I'll try to get a screenie)

Great job traiters .

Yes, Barae is amazing. My only problem was that in my campaign he was killed in the very first battle against the neighbouring city! Along with his brother Sentata. They were both boggled in the mass of humanity while trying to plow through the enemy ranks.

So, here I was left with his 60+ year old brother Margorix as the only family member with two young boys who would not be ready for years to come. To my amazement, despite his old age, Margo lived for another 8 years, conquering the entire British Isles for me, including Ireland. I am looking for a screenshot of his, but not sure if I ever kept one. He exceeded Barae in his stats, becoming Margorix the Conqueror close to the end of his life. Sadly, he perished quietly while on his triumphant march back home from Ireland at the age of 75 or 74, but not before adopting three successful commanders, who took over from him the task of governing the realm. In the recognition of Margorix efforts, I have allowed his veterans to go back home to their wifes.

Bah, enough with this Braeus character. My prized possession is my current faction leader in my KH campaign, the highly talented Akrotatos.

Liberator of both Olympias and Delphi, plus a crapload of awesome traits to boost. This man is amazing. (Though he tends to get sick every winter. But then again, don't we all.) Though I don't really get why he only has 1 command star, when he has won major battle after major battle without a single loss.

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateSlave
    So, here I was left with his 60+ year old brother Margorix as the only family member with two young boys who would not be ready for years to come. To my amazement, despite his old age, Margo lived for another 8 years, conquering the entire British Isles for me, including Ireland. I am looking for a screenshot of his, but not sure if I ever kept one. He exceeded Barae in his stats, becoming Margorix the Conqueror close to the end of his life. Sadly, he perished quietly while on his triumphant march back home from Ireland at the age of 75 or 74, but not before adopting three successful commanders, who took over from him the task of governing the realm. In the recognition of Margorix efforts, I have allowed his veterans to go back home to their wifes.
    A good story!

Quote Originally Posted by cdbavg400
    Liberator of both Olympias and Delphi, plus a crapload of awesome traits to boost. This man is amazing. (Though he tends to get sick every winter. But then again, don't we all.) Though I don't really get why he only has 1 command star, when he has won major battle after major battle without a single loss.
    Amazing! On the command stars, the way to get more is to fight difficult battles, win or lose. You may see that he has a trait "Likes Easy Battles" which means the odds are usually in his favour (the bar between the general's portraits on the prebattle scroll).

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm...It is strange for me too. I have this general campaigning against the Dacians. He has taken 3 settlements, killed 2 faction leaders and destroyed completely 4 stacks (all with the same 1-stack army) and didn't get a single command star. It doesn't really matter though cause he has so many morale boosting traits that his army is on a permanent +5 morale.

BTW, he got a "vanquisher" trait, but it is not a "Vanquisher of Getai" or something, does that count towards the Triumph?

I'll post a pic of him when I get back on my PC.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

That's the vanilla VictorRomanVirtue trait and has nothing to do with triumphs. (non-Romans get VictorOthersVirtue). It gives you an Influence bonus and makes people want to assassinate you, but no triumph.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Your Greatest Generals

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    Amazing! On the command stars, the way to get more is to fight difficult battles, win or lose. You may see that he has a trait "Likes Easy Battles" which means the odds are usually in his favour (the bar between the general's portraits on the prebattle scroll).
    I have gotten "likes easy battles" for skirmishes where I had only a minor advantage over the enemy. What is exactly the treshold? Is it 3:2 or more like 6:5?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

3:2 is the threshold for an "easy" battle for an attacker (between 0.75 and 1.5 is an "even" battle). The trait that tracks it, and the degree of success after each battle, is hidden, and is reset every battle.

The displayed traits that give you "Likes easy battles" and "Barely victorious" may not be working as expected, but fighting 3 battles with odds greatly in your favor, followed by 1 battle with the odds against you, should give you "Even Odds Fighter".

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    3:2 is the threshold for an "easy" battle for an attacker (between 0.75 and 1.5 is an "even" battle). The trait that tracks it, and the degree of success after each battle, is hidden, and is reset every battle.

The displayed traits that give you "Likes easy battles" and "Barely victorious" may not be working as expected, but fighting 3 battles with odds greatly in your favor, followed by 1 battle with the odds against you, should give you "Even Odds Fighter".
    Thanks for the answer. I don't really get it, but then I probably never will.
    Last edited by Ludens; 01-05-2006 at 20:51.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

If you could do math in the traits files more easily, it wouldn't be so complicated.
    I'll continue refining and trying to provide a trait that gives you an idea how hard your general is working towards getting command stars. There's got to be an easier way to do it.

Actually, what are the benefits of more command stars? Because I don't see better performance in battle between an army comanded by barae (10 command stars), and my faction heir (4 command stars). What are exactly the bonuses that stars gives you?. They don't even help you control your troops, it's very annoying those celtics warriors who don't obbey you when you send them flanking the enemy, and they instead throw themselves into the melee!
    Last edited by Nagarythe; 01-06-2006 at 10:37.

Nobody's really sure what it does. I believe it gives a morale boost to the men close to the general (close being determined by the number of stars). It might make these men attack better, but investigation hasn't seemed to show this. It probably helps in autocalc battles.

Details here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44549

It doesn't make AI generals fight smarter, it doesn't make your men obey their commands better.

In EB, higher command translates generally to higher morale (depending on the situation, of course). It's a major factor in the traits "Confident Troops", "Very Confident Troops", etc.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As promised, my best general, still invict after 5 years of war against the Getai, taking 4 cities and still young enough to become easily the best general I've had.

Gaius Fenius Cyprias!

Last edited by SwordsMaster; 01-07-2006 at 02:02.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

You mean 5 turns right? Otherwise he was 14 when he started fighting. In which case; well done there, I didn't know that could happen.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast