Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Greatest Generals

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Your Greatest Generals

Lol I got a general with the trait "on his deathbed" after forced marching him around a little too much. His hitpoints were reduced severely but still he had to fight a battle that turn... I assume it's impossible to actually script him to die, but only increase the likelyhood of it in battle and to assassins? In any case it was as if he was dead because he couldn't move very far at all that turn. Winter campaign restriction AND bad health = bad combination. When I sent another general to take over the army, he turned out to be a lazy guy. Having sat all his life as a governor in a city, he got exhausted by marching for 3 turns or so in a row...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

I can make it very easy for a general to die in battle, but you have to know his exact name to kill him with a script, and that's not possible for any generals who might show up during the campaign. We could make a list of names and script-kill those people at random times, but I can't imagine many players who'd like their star general to get killed at random, with no explanation. That goes beyond making the game difficult into just being sadistic.

-- besides, it would cripple the poor AI --

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, sorry, I took the screenshot and then kept playing for a few turns, so now he is 21 and has 2 command stars and he has started at 16 which is what happened... I'll update the shot later today.

Last edited by SwordsMaster; 01-07-2006 at 23:24.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

*lol* I sure believe that this Guy is a national Heroe, that guy is brilliant.
    I sure could use Generals like that as the Casse, faction leader died early and tragically in a battle. And Mowg has a tendency to be a drinking depressive corrupt bastard

Lord of all that is Good Member Thorn Is's Avatar

LOL Salazar

most of my generals usually start off really awsome, with great potential, then after almost constant wars, in times of relative peace they grow into drinking, depressive, corrupt bastards - with HUGE sleeping disorders...

I had my campaigning general taking over North Italy. He gained good trait after good great, he stopped for 2 or 3 turns for reinforcements and picked up Lazy among others, in winter he can barely walk now.

Another thing, the board trait is annoying the hell out of me now. I get it allot and its just a piece of pointless micromanagement to me. I'm at the point that I just ignore it now unless it’s with someone that I'm using.

Member Member King of the dutch's Avatar

I must agree with that. Plus, as someone else raised before in another thread, governing cities is not really boring stuff. Don't forget the guy is not actually sitting in one. Plus a vigourus character would be running around constantly supervising building and troop raising and being in de didactiklon (or something) reading up on Alexanders battletactics. Besides that some 'races' are better suited for governing and others for fighting but they all get equally bad when left alone. Most of my familymembers suck. I appointed a factionheir and ran around with him conquering reading and so and he just kept getting worse. And i don't really see how i can get my gens 'good' again. It feels out of my hands and that its a lot easier to become bad and stay that than become cool at all!

Another thing i would like to say is that i find that rebel generals are without ecception until now damn good generals! What annoys me though is that i can't find his stats back in his traits and ancillaries. Now i know this sounds silly but i feel 'cheated' that way. In vanilla you could deduce his stats from his T&A. But now it seems he already has great stats (from nowhere) and the T&A add to it. I will post a screen for proof. I know that you guys 'make' these generals so i can't really feel cheated but i wanna see where its coming from and be awed by this combat monster. Not see 'confident commander' (+1) a galloper (+1) some priest (+1 maybe 2 whatever equals 3 or 4) and then having 7 or 8! stars. Where are the other 4/5 coming from?

Well....enough of this already. Otherwise...great game enyoing myself just pointing out some 'thangs'

grtz

Quote Originally Posted by King of the dutch
    Where are the other 4/5 coming from?
    The background script makes AI generals a little bit beefier to make up for the fact that the AI has no clue how to capitalize on or improve its generals' traits.
    Oh, and also the Roman and Seleucid flags seem to be switched.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I had a great Baktrian general called Pantaleon the conqueror. He conquered half of the seleucid empire and got 10 influence, 3 command and many movement traits, and was sharp/charismatic/vigorous. Then he died in a dirty little battle of minor importance when he sallied against a seleucid force of futile strength... Sometimes the greatest of generals end up being killed by rooftiles or other unexpected, unglorious, things... I think he deserves a hero cult building set up in the city where he died
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by MeroFromVero
    The background script makes AI generals a little bit beefier to make up for the fact that the AI has no clue how to capitalize on or improve its generals' traits.
    Hey, that's not the background script, that's the traits file!

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    I had a great Baktrian general called Pantaleon the conqueror. He conquered half of the seleucid empire and got 10 influence, 3 command and many movement traits, and was sharp/charismatic/vigorous. Then he died in a dirty little battle of minor importance when he sallied against a seleucid force of futile strength... Sometimes the greatest of generals end up being killed by rooftiles or other unexpected, unglorious, things... I think he deserves a hero cult building set up in the city where he died
    Sounds like Pyrrhos.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Sometimes the greatest of generals end up being killed by rooftiles or other unexpected, unglorious, things... I think he deserves a hero cult building set up in the city where he died
    If the player could only change the names of things in his game with ease... Ah man, that would absolutely rock. We could name things like that all the time - make a previous ruler divine and set up temples to him, etc.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would it be that impossible though?

make a building structure (divinise blah) and then allow other buildings depending on it to be built.... Could it really not be done?

Imagine the person that you wanted to divinise had a button on its scroll that would run a script to take his name and put it on a building list that would become available. Or something.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

No, it's not possible. You can't edit game files during the campaign without all sorts of issues. The script has to work within the confines of the game engine.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

In BI you can rename settlements manually, apparently; if a script could be made to change settlement names when ownership changes, that'd be awesome.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

In BI i renamed almost every one of my WRE cities to great-ish governors... Couldn't rename them after generals though since they all rebelled... After fighting 4 battles and winning, even tiny ones, they lose 4 loyalty rings, until eventually they have none and rebel...

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    In BI i renamed almost every one of my WRE cities to great-ish governors... Couldn't rename them after generals though since they all rebelled... After fighting 4 battles and winning, even tiny ones, they lose 4 loyalty rings, until eventually they have none and rebel...
    You can rename them in the game? Or do you have to edit a file somewhere? Anybody have any screenshots (I haven't even had a chance to play BI yet. )

You can rename them in the actual game simply by opening the settlement scroll and clicking on the settlement name - i shall get you a screenshot now.

Here you go.

BI is good but it's like going from playing EB to playing vanilla again... Horrible bright units that hurt your eyes, infantry and cavalry moving at the speed of sound, archers and peltasts decimating an army before melee even starts, chain routing after 2 seconds of combat, sometimes even before battle lines are joined the enemy will route... BUT! The game has excellent modding potential should a group of people such as you EB guys have a go at it...
    Last edited by Dayve; 01-11-2006 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    Hey, that's not the background script, that's the traits file!
    Duibuqi.
    Oh, and also the Roman and Seleucid flags seem to be switched.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Wtfiolanium? Genius.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

I forgot how horrible the Vanilla map was. Thank you EB team, you're the greatest.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Actually, I *think* RTW 1.5 can do the same trick as BI about the name changes. Though I barely use them since I'm a historical kind of guy who feels uncomfortable changing "Roma" to "EB is teh r0x."

*runs off testing to see if he's right...*

Edit: Yes I am. In RTW 1.5 Vanilla, with no BI installed, I can change the name of cities in-game. By the way, are you guys porting to 1.5 for EB 1.0, or going straight to BI?

However, I have no clue if any kind of scripting can somehow tie the cities' names to, say, temples.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 01-15-2006 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    Yeah, I heard about that. Haven't gotten around to modding the BI traits files. I have some idea about what causes that.

We'll have to get the scripters checking 1.5 to see if they can access this renaming function. I doubt it, it's probably something only the player can do, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Bearer of Vilya, Editing Slave Member LordElrond's Avatar

I've been campaigning with Pyrrhos for a while in my Epeiros campaign and just lately hes picked up some amusing traits. He managed to get an eye cut out, so he was limited 5% movement points and -2 line of sight. And now his legs gotten cut up and another 10% movement was taken off or so. I'll post a screenshot if I can later. Its just funny to have an old hobbled/disfigured man leading my armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Oh. My. God.

As the Casse I got a Caledonae general who has fought a battle almost every turn I've had him. He's gotten some great bonuses, amounting to about +10 morale for his troops. Other than that he's not all that great, 3-4 each of management, command, and influence. But the high morale is VERY nice.

Those battle scarred traits are great...reminds me of the old general Ariaus from the 10 Thousand, who had to ride around in a cart because he was so banged up, but still got out and put on his armor when the enemy approached.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

As the Romani, my general, Caivs Avrelivs Cotta has developed a huge list of traits, most of which are good. He is a great defender, hates carthage, gives great morale to the soldiers, and my favorite trait is his stiff leg, which, although it reduces movement,"at least he can predict the weather accurately" He has earned the name Africanvs and is conqueror of carthago, he also has 8 influence. I think i got him named imperator but each time i win a decisive battle the game ctds. (if i retreat or win less decisively there is no ctd, i'm not sure if this is coincidence) but i love all the traits in EB. i'll try to get a screenshot up soon.

each time i win a decisive battle the game ctds.
    That's happened to me before. Annoying, isn't it?
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

This is my pride and joy, Ansuhárjáz, heir to the Sweboz throne. Him and his brother (the king) have led my armies in all of my conquests. He usually has 7 stars, but the pic was taken while he was laying siege, and he gets some bonuses for that. Hopefully I'll be able to make him the uniter of the German tribes, which I plan to do as soon as my 'March to the Adriatic' campaign is over.

Did I mention that his bodyguards have triple gold chevrons? I don't even know why I bother raising full armies, his bodyguards alone should be enough to win most battles.

Someone should put up a "Your Crappiest Generals" thread. I'd win that one hands down.

It seems for every good general I end up with I have another two who are chinless, inbred, cowardly, hideous, remarkably stupid, eunachs. Still. It makes things interesting. I've set one such person as my heir in my relatively new Arche Seleukia campaign.. just because I could. Here's hoping he ruins things!
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Here's my best general thus far, he conquered half of the Seleukid Empire but for some reason has got the title "the philosopher".

He got the plague when assaulting Seleukeia : nice gift the seleukids gave me After that conquest things have gone not so good, the Seleukids have beaten my army outside Seleukeia (I had put it under a younger general to give him some experience), recovered the city north of it, and the Yuezhi have massacred the expedition that I had sent to deal with their last province, killing the faction heir.

My Greatest General is with the Koinon Hellenon. A real Spartan! And died like one to, in the defence of Sparte.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast