Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Post Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

RTG Open Beta v0.2 (EXE Installer)

The next version of the RTG Open Beta is now available for download. This version of RTG Open Beta v0.2 is an EXE Installer. You will need to install this open beta on a clean vanilla install, which has also been appropriately patched. Also, the default destination directory (the ...\data folder) must be selected as the target installation directory. This is to ensure the installer works correctly. Here are the download mirrors:

RTG Open Beta v0.2 @ Rapidshare

RTG Open Beta v0.2 @ Megaupload

The download is compressed in ZIP format, and is around 47MB in size. If you have broadband internet connection, the download time shouldn't be too long. Although with slower connection speeds it may take a while, especially if the file hosting URL is busy.

You'll need a ZIP extractor tool such as WINZIP to open the ZIP file, if you don't have this you can find out more (and download) below:

WINZIP

For vanilla RTW patches which are required for this mod to work properly, you can download them from TW.COM or say, DOWNLOAD.COM (use the search tool to find the RTW patches), here are links:

TW.COM Downloads

DOWNLOAD.COM

There should be 4 files included with the download, these include the RTG installation program, installation instructions, a version of the RTG readme, and also a short RTG guide.

For more info on installation, please refer to the installation instructions included with the download.

For a list of changes, adjustments, fixes etc since RTW vanilla v1.5, please refer to the readme file.

For an overview of the mod, and what you're likely to expect, please refer to the short RTG guide.

Enjoy the latest version of the RTG Open Beta!

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Default Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

when i play imperial campiagn it crashes back to the single player menu. what do i do?

uninstall RTG by running the uninstaller.then uninstalled BI. installed RTW, patched it up to 1.2 installed BI patched it to 1.5 then 1.6 (BI) deleted the old RTG v0.1 ran defrag twice made a shorcut for vanila RTW and BI (made a back up) from a different location. ran defrag one more time. lastly edited descr_model_battle file so pikemen will use underarm animations also edited prefrencesfiles. (unit size default: 65)
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 05-06-2006 at 02:59.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    when i play imperial campiagn it crashes back to the single player menu. what do i do?

uninstall RTG by running the uninstaller.then uninstalled BI. installed RTW, patched it up to 1.2 installed BI patched it to 1.5 then 1.6 (BI) deleted the old RTG v0.1 ran defrag twice made a shorcut for vanila RTW and BI (made a back up) from a different location. ran defrag one more time. lastly edited descr_model_battle file so pikemen will use underarm animations also edited prefrencesfiles. (unit size default: 65)
    Did you manage to get the mod working after working through the stages above?

RTG v0.1 and RTG v0.2 are almost identical downloads, apart from that v0.2 contains the latest tweaks and adjustments. I think if you try and install v0.2 over the top of v0.1, you will most likely run into problems. I should've included an uninstaller for v0.1 to make life easier, or instead just release future changes as small ZIP files that can be replaced manually to save reinstalling vanilla versions from scratch.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic

Great!

Does the hidden resource/ZOR come with version come with 0.2?
    Hey, Im back

Yeah, the ZOR was part of the original v0.1 open beta release, and is included in v0.2 as well. I'm sure the maximum number of hidden resources you can have is 64, so the existing ZOR structure could easily be expanded in future.

RTG Main Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic
    Did you manage to get the mod working after working through the stages above?
    no.

should I try and uninstall RTW agian and do the process all over again (except deleting RTG v0.1 already deleted) or is there a easier way?

should I try and uninstall RTW agian and do the process all over again (except deleting RTG v0.1 already deleted) or is there a easier way?
    Yeah, unfortunately you'll need to completely reinstall by the sounds of things. If you tried to run the EXE installer over the top of the v0.1 patch, it is likely that the install would have become corrupt. It needs to be installed over a vanilla version to work properly. I'd also recommend reinstalling BI, because I'm considering making use of some of the features that are available in BI.

Make sure you remove v0.1 if you haven't already - just delete whatever is left after you run the uninstaller for RTW.

If you're useful with manual installations (IE drag-and-drop, copy-and-paste techniques etc), I'd recommend using the self-extracting ZIP download for a more hands-on approach.

I should've made a smaller download that would let the user copy a few files manually into the various folders, there wasn't too many large scale changes made in the v0.2 patch.

Sorry if this has caused you frustration and / or problems!

[EDIT:]Btw, if you use the self-extracting ZIP download, you should be able to use the JSGME. For more info on how to use it, click here
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 05-06-2006 at 15:32.

RTG Main Topic

it works now! i think it didnt work before cause i forgot to delete the files mentioned in the installation.txt .

btw are you making new faction symbols? will it be for a new version of RTG or an add-on?

Great news!

Kaweh K is creating new faction symbols, battlefield standards, and hopefully some brand new loading / transition etc screens if he has the time. I'll probably include these in a new version of the mod because quite a few files need to be modded manually to get symbols, logos etc into the game.

On top of this, I've also been modding various other text files quite extensively, so it looks as though the next version will be another complete unistall process (unless you use the JSGME mod enabler and the self-extracting ZIP download ).

RTG Main Topic

Great news!

Kaweh K is creating new faction symbols, battlefield standards, and hopefully some brand new loading / transition etc screens if he has the time. I'll probably include these in a new version of the mod because quite a few files need to be modded manually to get symbols, logos etc into the game.

On top of this, I've also been modding various other text files quite extensively, so it looks as though the next version will be another complete unistall process (unless you use the JSGME mod enabler and the self-extracting ZIP download ).
    im not trying to rush you or anything but it looks like the next version will be released quite fast eh?

Kaweh K is creating new faction symbols, battlefield standards, and hopefully some brand new loading / transition etc screens if he has the time. I'll probably include these in a new version of the mod because quite a few files need to be modded manually to get symbols, logos etc into the game
    this will make RTG much more different and make it seem like a whole new game! (which is good of course)

here are some proposals for the next RTG beta version:

a new settlement Knossos at Crete. (if not there already) new unit cards. (downloadable sperately) since general bodyguards are overpowering with 3 hitpoints why not improve other stats def. in particular. stronger elephants. (more attack or def) peasents should have no morale bonus town watch morale reduced to good morale.(they are quite strong with excellent morale) stronger missiles perhaps double current missile attack settings, infantry is almost impervious from missiles attacks.
    set the deafault denarii to 15000 or 13000 for quick battles and custom battles. since unitsare more expensive and for bigger quick battles. historical unit names:Eastern Infantry=Sparabara any unit with word "pikemen"=Phalangtite/s Hypasipists=Royal Pikemen Agyraspid=Silver Shield Pikemen.pikemen should use underarm animations. looks hard to hold a 16 ft. pike with one hand. desert axemen should be stronger and should use barb. swordsman animation axes shouldn't stab.

maybe(and some what i would like): new look for Ptoleamic armoured general and Barbarian Chosen Warlord (Britain) thats just what i think dont like how they look that much. new look for Praetorians maybe a special uniform different from other legions. that be very cool if you could. more units in particular for Greek cultures. different look for German Night Raiders, since Gauls have night raiders too, they should have a more blonde hair since the most Germans in the game have blonde hair.(look at Alemanni night raiders from BI) new hastati look for julli just give them chain mail shoulders or a different look similar too princepes but lighter armor giving them a younger look then princepes. new look for triarii a darker armor similar too princepes. a gladius for triarii spears for primary weapon secondary weapon gladius which would be stronger. night battles with archers' skymod. i saw at TWC forums some would like that. Iberians with more heavy cavalry units. maybe you can use that early generals' bodyguard for Brits for other barbarian generals' early bodyguard but make them look more like a generals' bodyguard such as better armor or helmet or a different face, thet look like rebel's barbarian warband. and maybe more historical battles. new custom battle maps particulary in Greece.(a good map with mountianious background but flat perfect for a battle)new look for praetorian cavalry a more barbaric look such as no helmet. new equites look a more royal look but still light cav.new inf. unit for parthians Immortals strong def. moderate attack. reskin desert axemen with armor showing its changes in stats if you change its stats. new unit for Eqyptians "Thebeian Swordsman"? (made that up) or Egyptian Swordsman with a weapon that looks like a curved spoon. (see one of the egyptian loading screens the one when their charging)

p.s. if you ever use the mod switch please make that version downloadable sperately.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 05-07-2006 at 17:19.

Well, i downloaded your mod seasoned (may i call you seasoned?... its better than calling you alky :D) at the begining of the weekend knowing that i will have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Haven't played rome for a while and i must admit, i was sceptical about your mod giving me that "something" again.
    I am pleasently surprised :).

It is what it says "total gameplay".

I have played the Sarmatians, Iberia and am now playing Numidia.
    How hard to manage your finances?
    Sarmatia ran into money hell, and i got stabbed in the back by gaul when i started to go for north africa when i was Iberia.
    Now i am having a real tough time with Numidia... bloody carthage. *shakes fist*
    No sooner than i get an army together to take a full stack rebel settlement, i am nearly in the red again.... i love it!
    Then to p*ss on my fire, a half stack rebel appears on my way to the affore mentioned settlement!!! I love it even more :).

I don't consider myself a n00b to the total war games in the slightest, but this is a real challenge.
    I must admit, several times i have felt the urge to "add_money", but have resisted to this point :D.

What i'm trying to say is, thanks for doing this seasoned, this will keep me out of trouble for a few weeks ;). I haven't had this much fun with R:TW since playing darth's mod.

Ok, one bit of criticism. (yup, only one... i can't knock it on anything else at the moment)
    This 2 hit point thing... while it does what its meant to do (lengthen battles though i'm not too bothered with that) but it does make missile weapons rather ineffective.
    I might be noticing this more because 2 of the factions i chose are mainly based on missile warfare (Numidia (early stages) and sarmatia).
    One example is 3 full units of balearic slingers barely made a scratch on some town militia using all their ammo!
    Maybe this is something you wanted, but food for thought none-the-less :).

or Egyptian Swordsman with a weapon that looks like a curved spoon.
    I believe thats a khopesh.
    Laters

Duke0
    Last edited by Dukezer0; 05-07-2006 at 23:07.
    An innacurate paradox of random variation.

Thanks for the extended feedback The Spartan and Dukezer0, I'll reply individually because of the size of the posts

here are some proposals for the next RTG beta version:

a new settlement Knossos at Crete (if not there already)
    Crete already contains Knossos, this is located in Crete Prima province.

new unit cards (downloadable sperately)
    Unit & Unit Info cards are not the biggest priority at the moment. I agree, it would be good for areas such as these to be 100% complete, but I’m not the most artistic or graphical person. Also, if there is a chance that new unit reskins become available, this once again makes the UI cards out-of-date; it’s a repetitive process that is probably best left alone until other areas are completed.

since general bodyguards are overpowering with 3 hitpoints why not improve other stats def. in particular. stronger elephants. (more attack or def)
    Yeah, good points about attack and defence attributes for units such as these. I’ll spend some time testing out individual units in combat against each other after tweaking the stats and see how things shape up.

peasents should have no morale bonus town watch morale reduced to good morale.(they are quite strong with excellent morale)
    I’ve found that peasants can be disposed of without taking many casualties, mainly because of their inferior stats. The reason I’ve brought the stats up on units such as peasants and town watch is because there are the starting recruitment levels for all factions. If I reduce the stats on these units, there may well be a significant gap between the lowest and then the next tier of recruitment. I’ve tried to smooth things out and balance the unit recruitment tier system as you see in the latest version.

stronger missiles perhaps double current missile attack settings, infantry is almost impervious from missiles attacks.
    I know missile units have difficulty softening up opposition units because of the improvements to the stats. S’pose I could tweak missile damage and test out the results, these units are pretty worthless if they can’t inflict casualties I guess.

set the deafault denarii to 15000 or 13000 for quick battles and custom battles. since unitsare more expensive and for bigger quick battles.
    I’m sure you can do this manually by simply (double) clicking the denarii box and editing the denarii amount to whatever you want.

historical unit names:Eastern Infantry=Sparabara any unit with word "pikemen"=Phalangtite/s Hypasipists=Royal Pikemen Agyraspid=Silver Shield Pikemen.
    Thanks for this, I’ve been meaning to make unit name changes but never seem to get round to it If I make the unit name changes, you’ll have to put-up with the vanilla unit voices once a unit type such as this is clicked, prompting a vocal response.

pikemen should use underarm animations. looks hard to hold a 16 ft. pike with one hand.
    Yep, I agree.

desert axemen should be stronger and should use barb. swordsman animation axes shouldn't stab.
    This can be arranged.

maybe(and some what i would like): new look for Ptoleamic armoured general and Barbarian Chosen Warlord (Britain) thats just what i think dont like how they look that much.
    If someone is generous enough to create / donate new models / textures for these units I’d be grateful. As mentioned, art and graphics are not my strong points, plus I don’t have any software or experience to create areas such as this.

new look for Praetorians maybe a special uniform different from other legions. that be very cool if you could.
    As above.

more units in particular for Greek cultures.
    This may be a possibility, but new units to faction rosters means more time spent on balancing factions, which pushes future release dates further and further back.

different look for German Night Raiders, since Gauls have night raiders too, they should have a more blonde hair since the most Germans in the game have blonde hair.(look at Alemanni night raiders from BI)
    Hmm, this is interesting. Perhaps I can implement this model from BI into RTG, I’ll have a look at the unit in more detail.

new hastati look for julli just give them chain mail shoulders or a different look similar too princepes but lighter armor giving them a younger look then princepes.
    As mentioned earlier.

new look for triarii a darker armor similar too princepes. a gladius for triarii spears for primary weapon secondary weapon gladius which would be stronger.
    As mentioned earlier.

night battles with archers' skymod. i saw at TWC forums some would like that.
    I’ve already implemented these 2 areas into RTG, and belive me they look stunning

Iberians with more heavy cavalry units. maybe you can use that early generals' bodyguard for Brits for other barbarian generals' early bodyguard but make them look more like a generals' bodyguard such as better armor or helmet or a different face, thet look like rebel's barbarian warband.
    Hehe, I know these ‘rebels barbarian warband’ are not the best in graphical terms, I had to make use of a combination of the vanilla models to create these units to fill in the gaps left by replacing chariot generals.

and maybe more historical battles.
    There is too much work involved with creating historical battles from scratch. I’ve only scratched the surface in this area, basically modding what already existed rather than creating new historical battles.

Things such as learning how to use the camera, specifying deployment coordinates etc etc takes a while to pick-up. I haven’t really got a great deal of time to spend at the moment, so I can’t see an area such as this going ahead.

new custom battle maps particulary in Greece.(a good map with mountianious background but flat perfect for a battle)
    Same as above.

new look for praetorian cavalry a more barbaric look such as no helmet.
    As discussed earlier.

new equites look a more royal look but still light cav.
    As discussed earlier.

new inf. unit for parthians Immortals strong def. moderate attack.
    As discussed earlier.

reskin desert axemen with armor showing its changes in stats if you change its stats.
    As discussed earlier.

new unit for Eqyptians "Thebeian Swordsman"? (made that up) or Egyptian Swordsman with a weapon that looks like a curved spoon. (see one of the egyptian loading screens the one when their charging)
    As discussed earlier.

p.s. if you ever use the mod switch please make that version downloadable sperately.
    I’m certain you can use the mod switch if you download the RTG Open Beta v0.2 (Self-Extracting ZIP) version. Simply download the file, copy the folder into the RTW base folder (EG C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War), then make use of the JSGME mod enabler. Check out the tutorial in the Scriptorium for more info on how to use this.

I’d like to thank your extensive contributions and continued feedback The Spartan, you’re helping to push the mod in the right direction!

RTG Main Topic

when you play a quick battle, one of them (Julii vs.Gaul) has totally random units and black peasents unit cards to fix that go to data/world/maps/custom/quick,and delete all files in that. it also prevents same quick battles showing up so you can always enjoy different quick battles.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 05-08-2006 at 20:31.

when you play a quick battle, one of them (Julii vs.Gaul) has totally random units and black peasents unit cards to fix that go to data/world/maps/custom/quick,and delete all files in that. it also prevents same quick battles showing up so you can always enjoy different quick battles.
    That's another thing to fix, I should've mentioned that Quick Battles were incompatible with the mod. Thanks again!

RTG Main Topic

You're welcome ;).

Ok, one more thing as i have just noticed it.
    The britons are stuck in england. They have about 3 full stacks and have no denarii to build a boat.
    Though i do believe this is a problem with R:TW anyway, i don't think its the cause of your mod entirely.

Maybe something you want to check out?

Still having a good time with it :). Just now nearly kicked carthage out of africa and the money is starting to flow and allied with Ptolemaic dynasty :D.

Next stop.... Iberian peninsula (nearly totally under gaul rule :O)

Laters

Duke0

Quote Originally Posted by Dukezer0
    Well, i downloaded your mod seasoned (may i call you seasoned?... its better than calling you alky :D) at the begining of the weekend knowing that i will have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Haven't played rome for a while and i must admit, i was sceptical about your mod giving me that "something" again.
    I am pleasently surprised :).

It is what it says "total gameplay".

I have played the Sarmatians, Iberia and am now playing Numidia.
    How hard to manage your finances?
    Sarmatia ran into money hell, and i got stabbed in the back by gaul when i started to go for north africa when i was Iberia.
    Now i am having a real tough time with Numidia... bloody carthage. *shakes fist*
    No sooner than i get an army together to take a full stack rebel settlement, i am nearly in the red again.... i love it!
    Then to p*ss on my fire, a half stack rebel appears on my way to the affore mentioned settlement!!! I love it even more :).

I don't consider myself a n00b to the total war games in the slightest, but this is a real challenge.
    I must admit, several times i have felt the urge to "add_money", but have resisted to this point :D.

What i'm trying to say is, thanks for doing this seasoned, this will keep me out of trouble for a few weeks ;). I haven't had this much fun with R:TW since playing darth's mod.

Ok, one bit of criticism. (yup, only one... i can't knock it on anything else at the moment)
    This 2 hit point thing... while it does what its meant to do (lengthen battles though i'm not too bothered with that) but it does make missile weapons rather ineffective.
    I might be noticing this more because 2 of the factions i chose are mainly based on missile warfare (Numidia (early stages) and sarmatia).
    One example is 3 full units of balearic slingers barely made a scratch on some town militia using all their ammo!
    Maybe this is something you wanted, but food for thought none-the-less :).

I believe thats a khopesh.
    Laters

Duke0
    Tried to reply to your post last night Dukezer0, but the forums went down after I'd started the reply. Thanks for your positive feedback on the mod anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying playing RTG!

Yeah, I've tried to make the financial situation more difficult to control, basically by recoding all of the regional resources available on the campaign map. In vanilla, many regions contained too many high-earning trade resources, and this allowed incomes to soar through the roof, a good example of this was Cyprus and its Purple Dye.

As mentioned earlier, I may well look into the damage capability of missiles for a future version of the mod, because these unit types are obviously at a disadvantage against say infantry. The problem lies in trying to select a damage rating that is feasible across the board. EG, if I increase the damage rating of javelins for example so that they're more effective against infantry, then it may be much easier to bring down say elephants because of the combat bonuses peltasts receive vs this unit type. In other words it may be a coding headache until the desired results are achieved

Which difficulty settings do you play on? In my tests, I select VH for the campaign map and M for the battles. I'm sure that the AI receives financial bonuses on VH (campaign map), as there was a topic discussing this in detail a while ago, as well as the variation between M and VH battlefield difficulties (M was actually tested to be more difficult by some COM forum testers). These discussions took place when RTW was in its infancy stages, but since these findings were made available, I've always selected M over VH for battles to eradicate the morale / combat bonuses that were found to be included with VH battlefield difficulty.

Cheers
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 05-09-2006 at 18:06.

RTG Main Topic

The britons are stuck in england. They have about 3 full stacks and have no denarii to build a boat.
    Though i do believe this is a problem with R:TW anyway, i don't think its the cause of your mod entirely.Duke0
    actually i find it easy. i took over the whole island.

give Ireland more settlements

actually i find it easy. i took over the whole island.
    I was refering to the AI britons :).
    In other words it may be a coding headache until the desired results are achieved
    Yea, i can understand that ;). Balance is what makes your mod quality and one wrong tweek could jeapordize it.
    Yeah, I've tried to make the financial situation more difficult to control, basically by recoding all of the regional resources available on the campaign map. In vanilla, many regions contained too many high-earning trade resources, and this allowed incomes to soar through the roof, a good example of this was Cyprus and its Purple Dye.
    Yup, i've noticed :D.
    That i think for me is the real attraction. Gone are the days where i control 10+ settlements with over seas trade and have all the denarii anyone could wish for :). Thus continuing to be a challenge during the middle and late parts of the campaign.
    Which difficulty settings do you play on?
    VH/M :).
    IMO with a mod, the player cannot accuratly "feel" what the modder is trying to do if the battle setting is higher than M because i'm sure that all battle testing was done on M setting.

Cheers

Duke0
    Last edited by Dukezer0; 05-09-2006 at 23:53.

You're welcome ;).

Ok, one more thing as i have just noticed it.
    Though i do believe this is a problem with R:TW anyway, i don't think its the cause of your mod entirely.

Maybe something you want to check out?

Still having a good time with it :). Just now nearly kicked carthage out of africa and the money is starting to flow and allied with Ptolemaic dynasty :D.

Next stop.... Iberian peninsula (nearly totally under gaul rule :O)

Laters

Duke0
    I'm sure that the Britons were given the preferred naval invasion ability, but sometimes this is not enough. More often than not it actually depends on what the AI's abilities are. IE, build boat, ship army stacks to mainland Europe, gain foothold etc etc. Its alright me saying these things (sarcastically even ), but its a question of whether the AI is actually able to implement such stages.

I'm surprised to hear that Gaul have overrun the Iberian peninsular. In my own test campaign results, usually Iberia secure a strong position, as well as Carthage. Mind you, variation and the unexpected is not a bad thing...

With regards to the difficulty level, yeah all my own tests were conducted using Medium battle difficulty and Very Hard campaign difficulty. As you've mentioned, medium battle difficulty tends to be the benchmark, I don't really trust the higher difficulty settings after discovering what they originally (and what may still be) included.

RTG Main Topic

I'm surprised to hear that Gaul have overrun the Iberian peninsular. In my own test campaign results, usually Iberia secure a strong position, as well as Carthage. Mind you, variation and the unexpected is not a bad thing...
    Iberia has been wiped out by gaul, and carthage has been wiped out be me :D.
    I like the "unexpected", each game is different. Apart from the romans being hardcoded conquerors, everything seems to be even. Thrace are giving brutii (and julii) a hard time though... which is nice :), and Dacia is rocking germania's world right now ;).

I'm sure that the Britons were given the preferred naval invasion ability
    You are right seasoned, they have now built a couple of boats, taken ireland and arrived on the european mainland with 3 full stacks .

One thing seasoned about this missile unit scenario, have you thought (how simple it may be) of just upping the missile attack by about 3-5 accross the board and seeing how it goes?
    I understand about the extra bonus jav units will get against elephants and chariots but to be honest, i have not noticed this apparent bonus to be substantial.
    Of course i might be wrong with this because i tend to surround elephants with spear units :p.

Anyway, thanks for your info SA.

Laters

Duke0

I like the "unexpected", each game is different. Apart from the romans being hardcoded conquerors, everything seems to be even. Thrace are giving brutii (and julii) a hard time though... which is nice :), and Dacia is rocking germania's world right now ;)Duke0
    ya one time playin as julii the Gauls and Macedonians were attacking me at the same time. where as playin as Britons the Brutii made the Macedonians as their protectorate really as the beginning of the game.

One thing seasoned about this missile unit scenario, have you thought (how simple it may be) of just upping the missile attack by about 3-5 accross the board and seeing how it goes?Duke0
    maybe you can upgrade javelins and maybe give elephants higher defense or an additional hitpoint. they are weaker now because every unit has 2 hitpoints.

One thing seasoned about this missile unit scenario, have you thought (how simple it may be) of just upping the missile attack by about 3-5 accross the board and seeing how it goes?
    I understand about the extra bonus jav units will get against elephants and chariots but to be honest, i have not noticed this apparent bonus to be substantial.
    Of course i might be wrong with this because i tend to surround elephants with spear units :p.

Anyway, thanks for your info SA.

Laters

Duke0
    Yeah, I'll test out different combinations of missile attack values. Obviously each missile type will do varying amounts of damage, so the stats don't have to be similar to each other when comparing say, slingers and archers. Hopefully I should be able to get away with making a few changes to the stats, and won't have to overhaul the whole stat system again. This is a lengthy process which has already been carried out several times before the first open beta was released.

I could always weaken the damage missile weapons such as javelins do against elephants & chariots if required.

As to the Britons, well hopefully they shouldn't spam into mainland Europe now that chariot units have been restricted to the British Isles, and woad units (woad warriors, not the berserkers) are only recruitable in brito-celtic provinces (IE all of Britannia & Gaul).

RTG Main Topic

maybe you can upgrade javelins and maybe give elephants higher defense or an additional hitpoint. they are weaker now because every unit has 2 hitpoints.
    The armoured elephants for both carthage and seleucids are at the maximum hitpoints available, which is 15. War elephants should have one less than this (14), whereas standard elephants should have two less (13).

As you've suggested, I'll try increasing defence / attack stats and / or reduce the damage bonus that javelins can do to chariot & elephant units.

Btw, how do you guys find chariots in melee in RTG? Do you think they've been improved over vanilla RTW?

RTG Main Topic

Btw, how do you guys find chariots in melee in RTG? Do you think they've been improved over vanilla RTW?
    Its funny you ask that because i was going to comment on it :).

I have finished my campaign with the numidians, i was a bit over-zelous in taking italy . Though i was giving the romans hell, i found i had too many elephants and numidians legionaires.... thus denarii hell :(. I took it too far and had to quit .

But that gave me an excuse to give everyones fav a try... the selucids :), and.......

I LOVE THE SCYTHED CHARIOTS!!!!
    They respond and operate so much better IMO, though not to piss on your fire seasoned, there are other mods which do this too. Is there something specific that you changed? I have only used them twice and cannot tell any difference apart from the affore mentioned ;).
    I am eager to know because i usually loathe to use chariots but i must admit i am having a ball with them at the moment :D.

And its a good thing that they are ZORed, they are quite powerful but only producable in a small area (area around babylon, am i right?) so thats all good.

On a different note, this time carthage have taken over (well, close) the iberian peninsula and macedon have become thrace's protectorate (last time thrace pwned macedon :D) so again, different outcome ;).

If you don't mind SA, i will keep posting my experiences? :).

Laters

Duke0

Its funny you ask that because i was going to comment on it :).

I have finished my campaign with the numidians, i was a bit over-zelous in taking italy. Though i was giving the romans hell, i found i had too many elephants and numidians legionaires.... thus denarii hell :(. I took it too far and had to quit.
    Hmm, perhaps units such as this could be added to the ZOR list? An AOR feature would be nice, but it would involve a serious bit of coding to get working properly - its basically making units available for recruitment per region by all 19 playable factions...

But that gave me an excuse to give everyones fav a try... the selucids :), and.......

I LOVE THE SCYTHED CHARIOTS!!!!
    They respond and operate so much better IMO, though not to piss on your fire seasoned, there are other mods which do this too. Is there something specific that you changed? I have only used them twice and cannot tell any difference apart from the affore mentioned ;).
    I am eager to know because i usually loathe to use chariots but i must admit i am having a ball with them at the moment :D.

And its a good thing that they are ZORed, they are quite powerful but only producable in a small area (area around babylon, am i right?) so thats all good.
    The main areas that were changed included mount armour and mount hitpoints. After several test runs and tweaks, I reached the version currently featured with the open beta. Also, since the chariots are now drawn by cataphracts (which are noticiably heavier than other horse types), the impact is probably much greater when they engage due to the additional weight they are pulling.

Well all chariot types are only available to recruit in regions such as Britannia, Ponto-Cappadocia, Assyria, Mesopotamia and the Nile. This should hopefully curtail chariot spam armies, and stops skewing the results of the AI's auto-calc battles

On a different note, this time carthage have taken over (well, close) the iberian peninsula and macedon have become thrace's protectorate (last time thrace pwned macedon :D) so again, different outcome ;).

If you don't mind SA, i will keep posting my experiences? :).

Laters

Duke0
    Yeah go for it, feedback in whatever form can only help improve a mod even further, and its good to hear which factions are doing what on the campaign map
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 05-11-2006 at 23:38.

RTG Main Topic

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast