Thread: What book are you reading?

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Looked at the sampler for this:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Told-You-So-Wee.../dp/1609804740

Seems he called it right all along.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Anyone read any Borges and willing to provide this here man with a starting point? Thanks in advance.

Reading Ubik again, at least until I get my hands of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

All I have of his is a collection.
    Labyrinths Selected Short Stories & Other Writings: Jorge Luis Borges
    Edited by Donald A. Yates & James E. Irby

It includes short stories, essays and the like. Can't for the life of me remember anything about it though.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Reading The Hobbit for the first time. After that, I may immediately jump into the Lord of the Rings for the first time.

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Meh Tolkien. I am 99% sure it's a gay fantasy

Forcing myself to finish the third part of The Hunger Games to please my sister, but it sucks. Badly. I kinda liked the first, movie is better, second and third are meh.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-23-2013 at 10:29.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Read the Ice and Fire series in a roll and now trying not to think about what happens next...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post

Read the Ice and Fire series in a roll and now trying not to think about what happens next...

Winds of Winter should be (hopefully) close.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer
    by Welty, James

Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering (4th Edition)
    by Fogler, H. Scott

Quanta, Matter, and Change
    by Atkins, Peter

Hooray for uni starting again today. :(

The Great Influenze by John Barry

It's ok and shockingly about the Great Flu Pandemic

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I've started on the Mistborn series of Brandon Sanderson. (the guy who finished wheel of time). Very refreshing in the fantasy genre.
    Status Emeritus

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Safon. A fascinating book.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Why the West Rules -for now
    Ian Collins
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg.

I feel my Total War time is about to be cut short.

Also, James Clavell's Shogun.

The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature. by Timothy Ferris

I have only read the first chapter so far. His basic premise he wants to show is that the democratic revolution during the Enlightenment was due in no small part to the rise of science in the Renaissance and Age of Reason. He harps on the fact multiple times already that science demands respect for different opinions (freedom of speech) and the ability to freely associate in order to spread scientific results and findings (freedom of association).

This is all fine and dandy but none of this really matters one bit to me because the very first question I have which he has not addressed yet is how science which was only available to rich aristocrats/middle class businessmen somehow promoted the ideals of democracy to the lower classes who probably had no idea why the elite were playing around with weights and measures.

The real reason is the rich continually talked about those ideas to get the poor on their side. In the same way they said to slaves at the time: "All men are created equal.... oh we won? Yea, we just meant white guys"

Getting poor people to parrot the points of the rich, even if it's science, isn't that hard.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been reading a series of books recently called Warrior of Rome.

Been finding it quite enjoyable. It follows a Angle barbarian called Marcus Claudius Ballista (Angle name: Dernhelm) later on in his career as a Roman Dux Ripae through various defeats and victories.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature. by Timothy Ferris

I have only read the first chapter so far. His basic premise he wants to show is that the democratic revolution during the Enlightenment was due in no small part to the rise of science in the Renaissance and Age of Reason. He harps on the fact multiple times already that science demands respect for different opinions (freedom of speech) and the ability to freely associate in order to spread scientific results and findings (freedom of association).

This is all fine and dandy but none of this really matters one bit to me because the very first question I have which he has not addressed yet is how science which was only available to rich aristocrats/middle class businessmen somehow promoted the ideals of democracy to the lower classes who probably had no idea why the elite were playing around with weights and measures.
    Going to finish this book tonight. What should I read next?

Stay tuned, I will edit this later tonight with the answer.

Ok, I couldn't decide what to read that day. I eventually settled on more Sherlock Holmes. Just finished the Memoirs, so now I need to read two more novels and two more collections of short stores.

Hey folks,

I'm reading "The Eagle in the Sand" by Simon Scarrow. It's the 7th book in the "Eagle" series.

Not the most demanding of reads, but who doesn't enjoy a bit of Roman fiction?

This is so cool!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Behavior Analysis and Learning: Fifth Edition

Behavior Analysis and Learning, Fifth Edition is an essential textbook covering the basic principles in the field of behavior analysis and learned behaviors, as pioneered by B. F. Skinner. The textbook provides an advanced introduction to operant conditioning from a very consistent Skinnerian perspective. It covers a range of principles from basic respondent and operant conditioning through applied behavior analysis into cultural design. Elaborating on Darwinian components and biological connections with behavior, the book treats the topic from a consistent worldview of selectionism. The functional relations between the organism and the environment are described, and their application in accounting for old behavior and generating new behavior is illustrated.

Expanding on concepts of past editions, the fifth edition provides updated coverage of recent literature and the latest findings. There is increased inclusion of biological and neuroscience material, as well as more data correlating behavior with neurological and genetic factors. The chapter on verbal behavior is expanded to include new research on stimulus equivalence and naming; there is also a more detailed and updated analysis of learning by imitation and its possible links to mirror neurons. In the chapter on applied behavior analysis (ABA), new emphasis is given to contingency management of addiction, applications to education, ABA and autism, and prevention and treatment of health-related problems.

The material presented in this book provides the reader with the best available foundation in behavior science and is a valuable resource for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in psychology or other behavior-based disciplines.
    Humans are social animals. Most of the daily life of people takes place in the company of others. An
    important aspect of human social behavior involves what we do with words, as in speaking, writing,
    signing, and gesturing. Behavior analysts use the term verbal behavior to refer to this kind of human
    activity. In this chapter, verbal behavior is analyzed according to the same principles of behavior
    that have been used throughout this book. The analysis explores the role of contingencies of
    reinforcement in the regulation of verbal behavior.

In terms of behavior analysis, Lee notes that language tends to obscure environment–
    behavior relationships. Language usually directs research attention to grammar, syntax, and unobservable
    mental representations and processes (structure), rather than to the objective conditions that in sequence
    influence the behavior of a speaker or writer (function). Catania has also noted that the “language of
    reference” implicitly proceeds from words to objects in the world. The possibility that environmental
    contingencies regulate our speaking and writing is usually not considered. Catania states:
    We also speak of language as if it were directed toward events or objects. We say that words or sentences
    refer to, deal with, speak of, call attention to, or are about things. The language of reference implicitly
    includes the direction from verbal behavior to environment. Everyday language doesn’t include words
    that emphasize the opposite direction. What if our everyday language has prejudiced us about the ways
    in which our verbal behavior works? We hardly ever say that we utter nouns in the presence of relevant
    objects or that sentences are occasioned by relevant events. Instead, we say that words refer to objects
    or that sentences are about events. There are good reasons for these usages . . . [but] they may be
    misleading in an analysis of the behavior of speakers and listeners or readers and writers.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 11-22-2013 at 22:19.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

@Montmorency, Mrs. Lemur is a very high muckety-muck in the world of Behavior Analysis. If you ever want to talk to her, let me know. She's done favors all over the place for people who need their, um, I don't know what you call it, but the thing where someone trying to get their BCBA has to pay for time going over sessions and so forth. She knows a lot of people. I had no idea you were into the field.

What I'm reading: Equoid, but Charlie Stross. The best $1.99 I spent this week. (And he even forced the publisher to release it without DRM. How can I not reward that kind of behavior?)

I had no idea you were into the field.

I'm not (yet?), I'm just checking it out for, uh...

What can I say, I love behaviorism.

I might be able to heavily incorporate this stuff into something else that I might do in the future, though.
    Vitiate Man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    What can I say, I love behaviorism.

I might be able to heavily incorporate this stuff into something else that I might do in the future, though.
    Personally, behaviourism is not one of my favourites. It is like trying to look at basic instinctual responses, anything more complex and it starts to fall apart rather easily. Many other branches include looking at these underlying structures in a far more succinct manner.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

It's not so much about "instinct" as the fact that all biological mechanism and function is fundamentally stimulated.
    Vitiate Man.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

It's been a while since I've finished reading it, but there's a book that I can highly recommend. It's originally written in German and titled "Melnitz", but it in the Dutch translation the title was "Het lot van de familie Meijer". Author's name: Charles Lewinsky.

Basically; it's about a jewish family in Switzerland throughout the years 1870 till 1945. The family and their experiences are entirely fictional, but a lot of work went into the historical background.
    To me it gave a good deal of insight into jewish culture (which I otherwise know little about) and how they fared in the period before WW2. Not much else that I can tell about it without spoilers. It's a little early to tell because I tend to lose perspective once I'm impressed by something, but it might be one of the best books I've ever read.

The Rise of Nagash
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Blog Entries

Read Enders Game and the Speaker of Death. Might start on Xenocide soon.

I blame Lemur.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Read Enders Game and the Speaker of Death. Might start on Xenocide soon.

I blame Lemur.
    Now that you have read the Enders Game, how does the book compare to the movie?

BTW, I loved Enders Game but didn't like Speaker for the Dead at all. So much so that Xenocide sits on my shelf unread.
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 11-29-2013 at 12:36.
    This space intentionally left blank

Lemur 

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Might start on Xenocide soon.

I blame Lemur.
    Oh no, you can't blame me for Xenocide. That's where the series begins its steep, sudden, and irreversible dive. I tell my friends the same thing about Ender's Game that I do about The Physiognomy: just read that one book. Ignore the others. Your life will be better for it.

Currently reading: Collapse.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    It's been a while since I've finished reading it, but there's a book that I can highly recommend. It's originally written in German and titled "Melnitz", but it in the Dutch translation the title was "Het lot van de familie Meijer". Author's name: Charles Lewinsky.

Basically; it's about a jewish family in Switzerland throughout the years 1870 till 1945. The family and their experiences are entirely fictional, but a lot of work went into the historical background.
    To me it gave a good deal of insight into jewish culture (which I otherwise know little about) and how they fared in the period before WW2. Not much else that I can tell about it without spoilers. It's a little early to tell because I tend to lose perspective once I'm impressed by something, but it might be one of the best books I've ever read.
    Got it on the shelve, never read it. I know how critical you are so I'll give it a try, that's a solid recommendation if you say that

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast