Thread: [Aedui] Neitos reform and early battle line.

Default [Aedui] Neitos reform and early battle line.

I saw the words "Neitos reform" on the last upgarde of the aedui "barracks."

I built it and had no reform and no Neitos to recruit. So the question is : does it suffice to build the building or are there other requirements to meet ?

Concerning the aedui's early troops.

It is just awesome : highly mobile, devastating showers of javelins and throwing spears, good light infantry and of course the gaesatae play an unique role as the ultra elite unit (one per army, it is more than enough to punch a hole through the enemy's ranks.) The cavalry is really decent as long as you don't expect it to plough through infantry and the sotoroas (bowmen) make a good cavalry killer when they are out of arrows. All in all i felt it very well balanced as well as in terms of upkeep as in terms of overall efficiency.

It is very efficient against the earlier roman troops (way to go, don't let those pesky romans expand ; crush them right after you crush the arverni) and highly efficient against phalanxes (fast troops are very usefull to surround and destroy phalanxes.) I had a hard time against epeirotes troops and fought on par with the sweboz. I never faced heavy cavalry so i can't tell how well those troops perform in font of them.

Now i have a permanent crash to desktop so the aedui fun is over... let's have some casse madness.

Default Re: [Aedui] Neitos reform and early battle line.

Yes, I'd like to know what it takes to reach the Neitos reforms too.
    Could a EB member enlighten us? :)

i am not sure but i think you have to take certain cities but maybe i am wrong. I read in the text files and thought i saw something like that. Sorry cant tell which though

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Currently the Neitos reforms, IIRC, happen at the same time as the Polybian reforms.
    Cogita tute

Ok, thanks for the clarification Khelvan

Playing as the Arverni (practically the same as the Aedui in the early stages) I can say that while the barbarians rock against phalanxes, they do NOT against triarii, for the simple reason that those buggers don't ever seem to break when in battle line, regardless of outflanking/complete surrounding. I've pulled off the latter many times, but twice I have seen the classic Bastogne situation -- 'poor bastards, they got us surrounded.' Twice I have had hordes of barbarians fleeing under a blinking white flank from a line of triarii standing like a stone wall.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I had no problem breaking Triarii. Just hit them from the rear with something powerful ... and then, when they turn to engage their enemy ... I hit them again.

The best unit for this are, of course, the Gaesatae, but any shock infantry or even cavalry will do quite well. This tactic had me scoring a full three Heroic victories against Rome, and several Clear ones.

"Aye, there's the rub" Member PSYCHO V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keba
    I had no problem breaking Triarii. Just hit them from the rear with something powerful ... and then, when they turn to engage their enemy ... I hit them again.

The best unit for this are, of course, the Gaesatae, but any shock infantry or even cavalry will do quite well. This tactic had me scoring a full three Heroic victories against Rome, and several Clear ones.

Yer Triarii are very tough little buggars. You'll need some Geasatae to fight against them.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

I've found that you rarely beat early Triarii head on. I usually convince them all hope is lost and cut them down while they flee.

On Medium battle difficulty, I've managed to rout them. Get your Gaesetae all riled up and send 'em in head on. Flank and charge with whatever you have. Works good.

Problem with the Romans is, they have what you have, only better. Hastati > Botoraoas <sp>, Principes > Mala Galaros <sp>.

I haven't played far enough to recruit Neitos yet. Got bored with my Aedui campaign. Rome declared war, I've destroyed all their gold and silver chevron armies, captured northern Italy, and they still think they can force me to become a protectorate.
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra