Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign
    Go Open Office

That wonderful piece of software saved me £100 (instead of buying Microsoft Office).
    A friend of mine bought a new computer but hesitated to pay Bill another $100 for his bloody Office prog. I sent him the Lemur's link and he loaded Open Office instead. Now he is enthusiastic about its quality and easy handling. I am going to switch a.s.a.p. as well. Thanks for the suggestion, Brother Lemurmania.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    Hello.

I bring you new goodies.
    Yay! A freeware alternative for the pesky RealPlayer SchmealPlayer! I never knew this existed. I am downloading it now!

Thank you, Brother, for making my life fuller and more rewarding!

The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Dang, I knew that RealPlayer clone was out there, but I never got around to finding it. Viva la Org! Viva la Free Goodies! Viva la Open Source!

You guys rock my tiny world.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Added R'as al Ghul's additions, and put Open Source software first (in their respective categories).

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

VideoLAN Player

Homepage: www.videolan.org (Latest version 0.4.8a)
    Category : Media Player
    What's the deal : The only media player on the market (I'm not fully sure though) that comes with all codecs needed for playback. This 9.25-MB-size media player creates instant solution in case you may be needing extra codecs with another player. It can handle Xvid, Divx avi's and .Mov files (I did not test it about Real Media) right away without installation of an additional piece of codec.
    Open Source : Yes !

AlexPG and AdrianII will like this

K-Lite Codec Pack

Homepage : www.codecguide.com
    Category : Codec Pack
    What's the deal : Most of you must be pretty familiar with playback issues when it comes to different kinds of files (Especially .avi's). This superior pack that is generally updated and coming with Media Player classic within will be installed after a fresh system installation, and you'll nearly never need an additional search for a codec. The installer comes with several options that increase and add more detail level to what kind of codecs you'd like to install.

The point is if you already have installed any codecs or codec packs like this, uninstall them before trying this. This is vital for a less problematic OS afterwards. Best time is right after you fresh OS install as I said above.

The website has K-Lite Codec Pack, Mega Codec Pack, Quick Time Alternative and Real Alternative. Yeah the recent alternative thingies that were liked a lot are originally hosted here. And Mega Codec Pack is K-Lite Codec Pack + QT Alt. Player + R Alt. Player

Home of the Underdogs
    http://www.the-underdogs.org
    Description: Gargantuan selection of free games, emulators and abandonwares.

Maid Marian
    http://www.maidmarian.com
    Description: Web browser-based multiplayer games and 3d avatar chatrooms (via Shockwave). Tank Ball is a great multiplayer game. Moon Base is an interactive 3d chatroom and others more.
    ps. (credit Mithrandir for this).

King's Quest IX: The Silver Lining.
    http://www.kqix.com
    Description: King's Quest game made by fans.
    Last edited by Quietus; 01-25-2006 at 06:16.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

You're welcome.

Don't forget to get rid (uninstall) of the old stuff.
    Might give you pains otherwise. (software conflicts)

Stay tuned. I'll be back with more.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Yay! A freeware alternative for the pesky RealPlayer SchmealPlayer! I never knew this existed. I am downloading it now!

Thank you, Brother, for making my life fuller and more rewarding!

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Hello.
    Here's the next batch.
    It seems all the really important apps have been covered.
    The Thunderbird was mentioned already but not included in the list.
    We really need to get people away from security risks like Outlook
    so here you are:

Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5

Open Source: yes
    Freeware
    Description: Full-Featured Email-client
    Simple to use, powerful, and customizable, Thunderbird is a full-featured email application. Thunderbird supports IMAP and POP mail protocols, as well as HTML mail formatting. Easily import your existing email accounts and messages. Built-in RSS capabilities, powerful quick search, spell check as you type, global inbox, deleting attachments and advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set.
    Additional features: Junk Mail Filters, Anti-Phishing Protection, Advanced Security, Automatic Updates, Customize Thunderbird
    Homepage: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Knoppix Live-CD Operating System
    Freeware
    Description: What is KNOPPIX®?
    KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).
    Comment: It's very popular as a rescue system and brings a lot of tools and it's not only suitable for advanced users.
    Homepage: http://www.knoppix.org/
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

You can get other Live-CD Operating systems here: http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php
    It's a good way to test linux without installing it.

The next one I downloaded for my girlfriend who is an avid patience player. Those of you who have tried to
    find a freeware patience collection that doesn't pester you with ads or other shenanigans will confirm that
    it's almost impossible to find anything other than 123freepatience and likewise crap.
    Open source is again the savior and brings us Pysol!

Pysol
    Freeware
    Description: PySol is an exciting collection of more than 200 solitaire card games. Its features include support for lots of distinct games, very nice look and feel, multiple cardsets and table tiles, sound and background music, unlimited undo & redo, load & save games, player statistics and log files, hint system, demo games, support for user written plug-ins, integrated HTML help browser and lots of documentation.
    Among the supported games are classics like Aces Up, Baker's Game, Canfield, FreeCell, Forty Thieves, Golf, Klondike, Pyramid, Scorpion, Spider, Yukon, and many more...
    Homepage: http://www.pysol.org/

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    Don't forget to get rid (uninstall) of the old stuff. Might give you pains otherwise. (software conflicts)
    You bet I didn't forget. I used my RegCleaner and Killbox (brilliant, efficient, and free!) to erase even the minutest trace of the hated R-word.

Ffdshow
    Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow
    Freeware
    Open Source: Yes
    Description: DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing several video formats, including DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. (In english: watch all types of movie formats without having to intall any codecs or codec packs - which can cause problems)

Media Player Classic

Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
    Freeware
    Description: Extremely light-weight media player for Windows. It looks just like the good-old Media Player v6.4, but has lots of nice extra features. No install, just one exe file - the best movie player for windows.
    The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.....

New content added! Thanks as usual.

Quietus - I didn't add your links because I don't think they fit. They are good stuff, but maybe not here. Two of those links are online things, and thus not software for users to download. HOTU is a pretty cool site, but I would prefer individual entries.

I'm not ignoring you, man.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

From the Instant Messenger thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60334

Sick of having to run mulitple IM Clients to chat with everyone, as well as dealing with the adware that accompanies the "official" clients? Here you go...

GAIM
    Homepage: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
    OpenSource
    Description: Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Trillian
    Homepage: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/
    FreeWare
    Description: Trillian is a fully featured, stand-alone, skinnable chat client that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. It provides capabilities not possible with original network clients, while supporting standard features such as audio chat, file transfers, group chats, chat rooms, buddy icons, multiple simultaneous connections to the same network, server-side contact importing, typing notification, direct connection (AIM), proxy support, encrypted messaging (AIM/ICQ), SMS support, and privacy settings.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

My brothers and sisters! We have a new home! Behold, the Tosa has given us a Hard- and Software forum! And yea, there shall be much rejoicing. Forsooth, let this thread be moved to its rightful home!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    New content added! Thanks as usual.

Quietus - I didn't add your links because I don't think they fit. They are good stuff, but maybe not here. Two of those links are online things, and thus not software for users to download. HOTU is a pretty cool site, but I would prefer individual entries.

I'm not ignoring you, man.
    No complaints here. :)

However, just a slight clarification, King's Quest IX isn't a web-browser game. The release was just delayed because the fan-developers were shutdown by the owner of the franchise. The ok was given after the petition.

ps. may want ask this thread be moved to the new Software/Hardware forum. :)

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Gallery
    A slick, intuitive web based photo gallery with authenticated users and privileged albums. Easy to install, configure and use. Photo management includes automatic thumbnails, resizing, rotation, etc. User privileges make this great for communities.
    Basically, it's a canned php website for displaying photos. It has an amazing amount of features and admin options built-in and is very simple to setup/use.

Open source: Yes.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Updated. If you have any questions or comments about categorization of entries, please post! And any new software you have.

I PM'd Beirut about moving the thread to the new forum, and haven't gotten a response. If a mod doesn't see this soon, I'll ask again.

A new one from the makers of WinAmp:

Songbird
    Homepage
    Description: Songbird is a Web player built from Firefox's browser engine. Songbird is open source, will run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and supports user contributed, cross-platform extensions. Supports all known audio file types; MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more. Still in beta, but looks like the cat's pyjamas. Can't wait for version 1.0!

P.S.: When the heck is this thread being moved to its rightful home? Begone, What Are You Listening To Right Now, hello New Hard Drive Problem!
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-09-2006 at 21:42.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Moved to the H&S forum, at Alex's request.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Thank you, BKS! In honor of the move, I have added Songbird.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

This should be stickied. After all, it's serious business this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Category: Antivirus
    Title: Avast!
    Homepage: http://www.avast.com/eng/free_software.html
    Open Source: No
    About: (from website)
    avast! 4 Home Edition is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. Both of these conditions should be met! Our company offers the Home Edition free of charge, since, in our
    opinion, it is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention; however, many user are not able to or do not want to pay for antivirus software.

(from me)
    Its the only free AV for xp64 that I'm aware of (important since I have x64) & I was never particularly impressed by AVG

Category: Malware removal
    Title: Smitrem
    Homepage: http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/
    Open Source: No
    About: (from website)
    SmitRem is a tool I [noahdfear] created to remove the Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c malware infection and it’s variants, AntivirusGold, PSGuard Spyware Remover, SpySheriff, Spy Trooper, SpyAxe, Security Toolbar, WinHound and SpywareStrike.
    (from me)
    Those are nasty bits of malware that other software has difficulty getting rid of.
    My fathers PC got infected by the initial round of SpywareStrike, nothing I tried helped & Smitrem had a fix several days before any other malware/spyware vendors.
    Last edited by hoom; 02-11-2006 at 02:41.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Slain by mafia-implanted bombs Member littlelostboy's Avatar

I'm looking for a program that can help me clean up the junk on my comp and free up my memory space. Can you guys recommend me one?
    My name is Asinius Commodus, son of the Eagle.

Fellow of the Seven Legendary Writers (but got kicked out)

KoW: Erm, LLB, Asinus means 'ass' in Latin
    LLB: Really? All the better for a story of how an ass became a great leader is alwasy a bestseller.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelostboy
    I'm looking for a program that can help me clean up the junk on my comp and free up my memory space. Can you guys recommend me one?
    Though it will be off topic, I can recommend you a system tools suite that is shareware. Tune Up Utilities 2006 is the best tool suite around that can do even more than you would need, littlelostboy. Sometimes such programs lead to worsening rather than improvement and maintenance of your system - System Mechanic is a good example for such annoywares-, but Tune Up never irritates your system while doing its job. I tried a couple of such suites, Tune Up Utilities is the best by far.

But as I said it's a shareware and the trial version you can download from the link I gave is valid and fully functional for 30 days.

Hope this helps

Category: security/ search
    Title: Goggle Tool bar
    Homepage: http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
    Title: goggle toolbar
    Description: Great pop up blocker solved all my pop up problems. Search and spell check are convenient too.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Updated.

[/Shameless plug]

Are there any open source security programs out there? None on the list...

Hey,
    I need a program that is similar to Microsoft Publisher, any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Hiji
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Just a general question --

Why is this, the single most useful thread ever known to mankind, buried in the "Useful Links" post, which has, let's see, one useful link (namely this one), whereas the "Hardware Reviews" thread gets its own sticky?

Ridiculous. This thread deserves better.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur

Why is this, the single most useful thread ever known to mankind, buried in the "Useful Links" post, which has, let's see, one useful link (namely this one), whereas the "Hardware Reviews" thread gets its own sticky?

I concur. Besides, a 'popular thread' sticky really isnt saving much space until it has more than 1 thread listed is it?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur

Firstly, this is in the Popular Threads link in order to keep the stickies at a minimum and make the page user friendly.

The Hardware Review thread is on it's own for no other reason that hopping people will take notice and contribute to what could be a handy resource for all of us.

But I guess the main reason this thread is "buried" in the Popular Threads sticky is because I have yet to hear someone ask nicely to have it stickied on it's own.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast