Thread: City Management

Bearer of Vilya, Editing Slave Member LordElrond's Avatar

Default City Management

I was wondering how you guys normally played your campaigns. I mean if I'm aiming for realism, should I turn on the only manage with governers present option? I've played with it before, and its harder and at times, annoying. I'm curios to see if anyone actually plays like that, and if its more realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Oh. My. God.

Default Re: City Management

Quote Originally Posted by LordElrond
    I was wondering how you guys normally played your campaigns. I mean if I'm aiming for realism, should I turn on the only manage with governers present option? I've played with it before, and its harder and at times, annoying. I'm curios to see if anyone actually plays like that, and if its more realistic.
    where is that option? And i'm sure some settlements could of been managed temporarily without a governer; like a deputy or something.

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Before you begin a campaign, there's an automanage option over near the difficulty settings. The AI will build and recruit in those cities, for you. I don't let the AI make my building decisions, since they end up wasting my time, as well as mnai. I usually just automanage taxation and set the slider bar on the faction menu to "save".

I have an "iron man" rule that only a governor can choose the building to build, or recruit units. I might permit an ungoverned city to recruit levies or militia-type troops, but not anything good. Repairing buildings is fine, without a governor. As you can guess, my expansion tends to be tied to the number of generals.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Bearer of Vilya, Editing Slave Member LordElrond's Avatar

I'm thinking after the patch comes out I'm going to start my new campaign needing to have a governor present to manage cities. It should add more strategy and depth.... as long as I don't start with Seluekia and micromanage myself to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Oh. My. God.

Hehe. I usually do all the management myself, just because the AI doesn't exactly know what I want to do with the money, and it seems to have this habit of ignoring the sewer and health buildings. Of course, when I installed the mod, I thought "I'll play the Seluecids!"

I about died when all the information that I had to take in hit me. So I started a Casse game and worked my way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Volume II

I about died when all the information that I had to take in hit me. So I started a Casse game and worked my way up.
    ROFL.

I would still micromanage everything, given the choice. Even if it means the bigger my empire gets the more time I waste between end-turns. I simply will not trust my AI ever since in vanilla I clicked on Rome one fine turn to discover a full-stack assortment of incendiary pigs, repeating ballistae and wardogs awaiting me inside the capital without me ever remembering ordering those useless things.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I always leave automanage set on for towns without a governor. However I do untick the boxes that tell it to build buildings and train units. I let it sort out its own taxation but I would never let the AI do my recruiting for me. Not when I know it has that awful habit of recruiting something pretty much every turn. I like to set my legions up in the same way each time, and I'm just not convinced the AI knows how I like it.

I think i read somewhere that a script will generate a "family member" with no movement points in each city. I can't remember where i read this, though. Maybe i'm just going insane.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    ROFL.

I would still micromanage everything, given the choice. Even if it means the bigger my empire gets the more time I waste between end-turns. I simply will not trust my AI ever since in vanilla I clicked on Rome one fine turn to discover a full-stack assortment of incendiary pigs, repeating ballistae and wardogs awaiting me inside the capital without me ever remembering ordering those useless things.
    Wow, that is hilarious. I'm going to have to remember that story, it's just too funny. What in God's sweet name inspired the AI to build those? I always assumed it built whatever Victoria would have advised you to build, and I never heard her advise any of those.