Thread: On AI and Diplomacy

Default On AI and Diplomacy

As we all know the diplomacy in RTW, MTW and STW have not been especially good. In STW and MTW it was mostly that it was too limited, but in RTW one main problem was/is that the ai doesn't care about such things as alliances, and gladly backstab you even if that, looking at their position, would be the most stupid thing they could possibly do next to disbanding their entire military, and not to mention an inability to realize when they are getting badly defeated, not accepting peace even if there chances of doing anything else but being defeated are next to none.

As an example of more reasonable ai behaviour in regards to diplomacy in a game not to dissimilar from the campaign part of RTW we could look at the old game Legion. Although there are some problems with diplomacy there, namely the fact that ai allies never backstab you or cancel your alliance with them unless you attack someone without first formally declaring war, and that the options available are too limited. The first good thing is that you can see how what relations there are with the other factions, something which is needed, it is always useful to know wether they refuse an alliance because the hate you or if they merely dislike you.

The good things about the diplomatic ai in Legion then? First, although at times declarations of war may seem somewhat random, that is mostly in the beginning where almost everyone goes to war with someone else and the player has yet to become more powerful than most of the opponents. The ai does not go to war if they are already in a war (which the RTW ai does almost all the time), but since the ai actually signs peace from time to time this is in no way a problem (in RTW where peace comes very seldom the ai waiting to get peace before attacking their other neighbors would probably make certain factions rather quiet when it comes to starting wars).

When it comes to making peace the ai in Legion acts rather sensibly. If they are at war on many fronts they do attempt to get peace with as many of them as possible. Similar if they are getting beaten up badly they also tries to get peace rather than be wiped of the map. Also if they have some success in a war, and there is no or little hope of taking anything more at the moment, or just if there isn't anything they really want that their opponent have, they try to get peace. One example of that last one could come from my game with the Frentenians:
    As I had conquered most of the former Samnite territory, some additional territory on the eastern coast, as well as the lands that had belonged to the Volscians (as you can guess I was fairly succesful), to my north I had my allies the Romans, and in the south the Lucanians (my allies) and the Calabrians where fighting. Then the Campanians went to war with me, at first glance they did not seem to be able to become any real threat, out of their three starting cities they only had Capua and Neapolis, Nuceria having fallen to the Lucanians. But the Campanians conquered the southernmost of the former Volscian cities, and then asked for peace. I refused. But I was unable to reclaim the city, and an attack I made against Capua also failed miserably. Eventually they also captured Anxur, the northern of the former Volscian cities, and then asked for peace. I refused, and this time i retook the city.

The Campanians stubbornly refuses peace, but since their cities are to welldefended for my army, and they can actually go on the offensive every now and then, so it does make much more sense than when the Egyptians in RTW in my current game with the Seleukids refuses peace, even though all that remains are their Egyptian provinces and they have lost nearly every battle. So while the Campanians in the example still can hope to achieve something more in the war, the Egyptians for whom the best option would be peace and attempt to rebuild their army so they can retake their provinces later and not put their trust in the fact that I don't really want to invade Egypt yet. In that Seleukid game the Armenians fell because of their stubbornness, I mean if your only remaining city is besieged by an army much larger than their garrison and they get offered the extremely generous terms I offered them (for one thing I would give them back the provinces they had had before I invaded them in response of their failed invasions against me) they should have accepted, or atleast come up with a counteroffer.

Now what about ai and the breaking of alliances? Although I don't mind the occasional backstab if there actually is something for the ai to gain, in RTW the ai seems to backstab you everytime it feels bored, as in this example; I, playing Egypt, have among other things taken Athens (from rebels). I am allied with Greek cities who are at war with the Romans who have Epirus, and in peace with Macedon. The Greek cities have a fairly sizeable army in Aetolia (apart from the acceptable garrison). What do you think they do with it?
    (alternatives from 'smartest' to most stupid, order of b-e may be discussed)
    a) Attacks the Romans who they are already at war with
    b) Keeps it there to defend from possible Roman or Macedonian offensives as well as any potential backstabbing Egyptian behaviour.
    c) Goes to war with Macedon and invade Thessaly.
    d) Waits with army until Macedon and Egypt goes to war (bound to happen eventually) and attack whoever it is most beneficial to strike against, and ally with the other.
    e) Allies with Macedon and attack their original ally, the Egyptians, before they get ideas to strengthen their hold in Greece.
    f) Attacks their only ally, who BTW is rather strong --> get beaten up and loose Rhodos, possibly more.

Anyone that has played RTW will probably be able to guess the answer rather quickly. In my opinion alliances should probably not be until someone breaks but a set number of turns, how many would be the best I don't know, and allies should try to help each other, and only backstab the other if there is a good reason. It should be noted that the various actions should have effects with regards to your relations with the other factions in reasonable ways (declaring war against one faction should reduce relations with their allies (and neutral factions to a lesser degree) and increase it with those they are at war with (although maybe not by much)).

To sum up what I would like to see:
    - Some way to tell relations with other factions
    - Ai that actually gives declaring war more thought (or the very least that fights the wars more efficient than currently in RTW)
    - Ai that actually tries to get peace when in war on many fronts.
    - Ai that atleast can consider peace if they are beaten up badly and have little to no chance to turn the tide, so that they can get time to rebuild
    - Ai that tries to get peace if they have gotten what they want from the war (apart from tribute which of course will be demanded if they want it)
    - Alliances lasting for a set number of turns
    - Allies trying to help eachother if they can
    - Ai allies only backstabbing you if they have something to gain from it.
    - Diplomatic actions (declaring wars, declaring alliances void, making alliances etc.) should affect relations (they may do it in RTW but who can tell?) with all factions too some degree. Declaring war too soon after peace or on ally should probably affect relations with everyone much worse than just going to war.
    We have this almost mythical tree, given to us by the otherwise hostile people in the east to symbolize our friendship and give us permission to send caravans through their lands. It could be said to symbolize the wealth and power of our great nation. Cut it down and make me a throne.

Default Re: On AI and Diplomacy

Let's face it, diplomacy in the Total War games needs a complete overhaul. While it may be the best strategy games on the war aspect, it completely sucks when it comes to diplomacy. First of all, diplomacy in RTW is all about moving those little diplomats around, which is micromanagement of very boring things. Instead one could have a diplomacy screen that shows all factions on a Europe map, with their borders and colors, one could just click on one of the factions to begin negotiations. Second of all, diplomacy has been of no use, specially in RTW. Why make alliances that nobody keep? Why have a "protectorate" option when you will never be able to make someone agree to it? Why try to make peace when the computer only wants war? When it comes to diplomacy they should perhaps "steal" some aspects from games like civilization for example...

Default Sv: Re: On AI and Diplomacy

I think the AI need rules when it comes to diplomacy.
    Like if you agree to a cease-fire then you can't attack until x amount of turns and so on with the other options.
    This would be far better then trusting the AI to keep it like it is now.

Instead of messing about moving diplomats around, I wish they could shift to a real-time campaign like the Paradox games (EUII, Hearts of Iron etc.) and have it so you "send" a diplomat (Just by clicking a button instead of having to micromanage them all the way there! I mean what King has time to manage everyone's exact route?) to a certain country with an offer or request, and wait a certain amount of time for a response depending on distance....from a week to several months. Just like in Crusader Kings where it says "King Whateverhisnameis will respond to your request before the 10th of August 1092" or something like that.

This way we wouldn't have to keep moving diplomats around in a completely unrealistic manner....I mean sure I moved my Roman diplomat to Northern Gaul....if they are so insistent that I move the diplomat there....how does he get his message back? and how does he do it instantly?
    Last edited by GFX707; 02-09-2006 at 22:26.

MUSIC FOR THE DEAF, AFTER Member Sykotyk Rampage's Avatar

Instantly.....of course it isn't instant, the African swallow flies at 26 miles per hour, the coconut is tied.........

HARSH MUSIC FOR HARSH MINDS,
    ENVIRON-MENTAL SUITS NOT INCLUDED

Member Member Sir Toma of Spain's Avatar

I really think that the diplomacy in total war is one of its worst aspects (apart from the AI but we won't go into that now will we)

The best diplomacy i've seen in a game has been in Civ IV. There you have all you're options laid out in front of you. You don't have to walk a diplomat through 2 hostile countries and around the black sea (what really pissed me off in RTW is that i could be conquering greece and not be able to speak to the selucids without walking around the entire black sea, and yes i know i could have used a ship but most of those were fighting the greeks.) you just have to click on a button and you can negotiate to your hearts content. The other great thing was that you could see how the AI felt towards you so that it would tell you if it was pissed off at you and why. The diplomacy AI was also good so that if it was allied to you then it wouldn't suddenly declare war on you for no reason escpecially if you owned half of the world. However they would attack you if you were weak or had some boarder cities that had almost no garrison.

If total war could impliment some of these features then i believe that the games diplomacy would improve greatly.

*Suggestion mode off*
    - Fear the one who can break spanish armour -

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Toma of Spain
    Now what about ai and the breaking of alliances? Although I don't mind the occasional backstab if there actually is something for the ai to gain, in RTW the ai seems to backstab you everytime it feels bored, as in this example; I, playing Egypt, have among other things taken Athens (from rebels). I am allied with Greek cities who are at war with the Romans who have Epirus, and in peace with Macedon. The Greek cities have a fairly sizeable army in Aetolia (apart from the acceptable garrison). What do you think they do with it?
    (alternatives from 'smartest' to most stupid, order of b-e may be discussed)
    a) Attacks the Romans who they are already at war with
    b) Keeps it there to defend from possible Roman or Macedonian offensives as well as any potential backstabbing Egyptian behaviour.
    c) Goes to war with Macedon and invade Thessaly.
    d) Waits with army until Macedon and Egypt goes to war (bound to happen eventually) and attack whoever it is most beneficial to strike against, and ally with the other.
    e) Allies with Macedon and attack their original ally, the Egyptians, before they get ideas to strengthen their hold in Greece.
    f) Attacks their only ally, who BTW is rather strong --> get beaten up and loose Rhodos, possibly more.
    I'm playing as pontus in rtr, and i've expanded to around 20 provinces, smashing the selecueds. The egyptians, who have 2 provinces boardering me, and are vastly outnumbered both on land and in the sea, are feeling bored.
    Do they:
    a)Attack the selecueds along with me
    b)do nothing
    c)attack their only ally (from year 1) who is vastly more powerful than them.

Sigh...fix the ai!
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

The best diplomacy i've seen in a game has been in Civ IV
    That's almost perfect. Add alliances, royal marriage and more shifting relationships to the Civ IV diplomacy and it would be perfect.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: On AI and Diplomacy

Agreed. R:TW's diplomacy seems either random or too complex to understand. Either way, it is not very effective, but then diplomacy wasn't the previous games' best feature either. I would also like to see the diplomatic part abstracted, and a way to see what's acceptable to the A.I. and what's not.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Perhaps diplomats would be able to travel far faster than they do (in MTW terms going two or three provinces in one turn instead of just 1) and they could travel over water without a military ship?
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

MUSIC FOR THE DEAF, AFTER Member Sykotyk Rampage's Avatar

I liked the idea of a diplomatic screen (mentioned somewhere by someone else) that you open and make your offer/reply. Maybe the next turn you get a reply or give a reply. So once you make contact with a faction you have a permanent embassy in that faction’s court and in your court.

Eventually this does away with the moving of diplomats around the board, crowding it and making your turns go forever trying to keep up with what diplomat is doing what.

This could go for princesses moving around also. That was the worst part of MTW1’s end game, was moving diplomats and princesses and keeping up with their goals.

HARSH MUSIC FOR HARSH MINDS,
    ENVIRON-MENTAL SUITS NOT INCLUDED

Yep, and actually having to put that specific diplomat unto the AI princess you would like to marry into your faction...

Personally I would prefer not having to wait a whole turn either, because that could make diplomacy take many turns if there is many counter proposals...

Anno Domini MXVI Member Member HighLord z0b's Avatar

I haven't played Civ 4 but Civ 3's diplomacy was excellent, and I would love to see that kind of "diplomacy screen" in M2TW. You could trade off territories, units, trade routes, alliances, princesses etc. to bargain with the AI.
    It would work well if the AI would stick to alliances and agreements.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

I agree with the first post, and the example with the quiz-show type question was (and i gotta hand it to you, Lofman) a very good way of expressing your point.

It isn't just RTW we are talking about. It is also every other total war game. The problem exists in MTW as well, you know. Although I must admit it is considerably worse in RTW. A more complex diplomacy system needs a more complex diplomatic AI.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

While I agree that diplomacy is the major short coming of the total war series it seems to me that the AI acts within a set parameter of behavior that ignores diplomacy altogether.

Time and time again in STW and MTW I have been backstabbed by the AI while in alliance. Upon reflection, in most cases the AI had a numerically superior advantage to me when that backstab took place (by way of florins, provinces, armies). Seems to me that the AI acts rather simplistically and acts from some math equation that determines its action.

Why not shoot for the moon, but my fear is that in order to do a decent diplomacy model, the entire AI methodology would have to be rewritten. Can the Ai be programmed to think 5-15 turns ahead? If so I say, yeah lets go for it, but in fairness to the AI simplicity is sometimes better in the long run.

Predictable and inefficent yes, but hardly disfunctional. Part of the solution might be to have more stats for agents and give them influence as well along with titles. If you build a bishop he should be able to attain the title of "archbishop" and raise his influence and maybe be influential enough to become pope.

The rulers influence needs to be considered as well, and dread and command (taking mtw terms) should the AI attack and alliance member, who at the time might be weak militarily but has a king with superior influence?

My points are it seems to be (in MTW and STW) a simple math calculation, by province whether the Ai attacks or not. Can we do better? yes we can, but there has to be some definable formula for the procession of diplomacy. And there in lies the strength of the current system, its simplicity allows you to plan accordingly.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

I think one of the problems with diplomacy in the TW series is that it maths is so hidden so it is hard to make sense of the AI decisions...

CIV4 as an example shows you the stat of your relationship with the other factions based on your past interactions and positions on the map... So when the AI refuses things or cancels trade agreements it is pretty obvious why.

It is also obvious in CIV4 that the AI is trying to win. If you are right next to another faction and you are both about the same size, unless you setup up a good relationship (with reglion for example) the as the CIVs grow there will be friction and a cool relationship but trade and stuff with still go on. But if you do something to leap head of your neighbour you might well find him suddenly start canceling treaties and starting to build up his troops.

The point is that the activities all make sense because the state of your relationship with the other faction (along with the reasons) was very obvious. Many times the actions of the AI in RTW might well be logical but because the player can;t see the whole picture it does not make sense.

Also the AI in TW is very agressive and when it sees even a small military advantage it will attack without any thought to past events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    Also the AI in TW is very agressive and when it sees even a small military advantage it will attack without any thought to past events.
    Great points in your post, this one stuck out for me. There in lies the paradox of the TW series, do we want a war game or grand strategy game? I would love to have the AI be able to have multiple variables that leads to its decisions in diplomacy. I think its certainly managable as well to, but the issue for me then becomes the more I know about the AI's factoring into diplomatic decisions the more easily I can manipulate it.

Yet another paradox, the more you know the better you can prepare, where as currently, the less factors in the equation the simplicity of the AI behavior which by defauly allows you to better prepare. CIV as exampled by a few is a great example of what MTW could ideally become, with a few tweeks to the religion aspects that model would be ideal.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    But also future events. I'm being attacked by the AI when I outclass them militarily and economically. I can't make much sense of it. Maybe they look at the number of enemies ranged against me and think collectively they can win (maybe they could if player skill was equal). Maybe they look at my very poorly defended border cities and think they are easy pickings. The result is that sooner or later I end up at war with everyone. That's ok, for total war, I guess but rather cramps one aspect of the game.

I second the praise for Civ4 as a model for diplomacy. Trying to maintain a peace in Civ4 is almost as tense as trying to win a war. TW does not really have that aspect.

Post Re: On AI and Diplomacy

As mentioned multiple times in this post already, what MTW2 will need is an International Standings Feature (ISF). Every single one of your actions, be it from negotiating a treaty to declaring war on the most humblest of nations needs to be quantified by the AI and marked against your name in future diplomatic dealings. As a result, this will make both the human player and the AI do a lot more thinking during diplomatic meetings, rather than just clicking a few buttons, agreeing trade rights, selling maps and all the routine things that occur in RTW.

They used this ISF model exceptionally well in Call To Power 2 (CTP2). Here are some screenshots of what I'm talking about (click the thumbs for larger images):

The diplomacy undertaken with your rivals used theatre masks which displayed a rivals emotions to you during the meeting (between diplomats, or diplomats and cities). They were split into 5 categories, as below:-

If the AI started the diplomatic proposal, you could choose an emotion (mask) to counter with, or alternatively set the tone with an emotion of your own if you started the proposal.

As the ISF feature was in constant use, every meeting you had with rivals was stored in the AI’s memory, so basically it never forgot anything. If you were kind, they would usually be kind back, depending on both your and AI’s military strength, technological progression etc. Therefore, in future proposals, they would be more willing to cooperate or reach an agreement without turning to war, breaking a peace treaty etc.

The AI breaking alliances in CTP2 was almost unheard of, as long you maintained regular contact with your allies and didn't isolate them. Sending one-off payments / updated maps frequently also helped to do this, and strengthen the alliance.

Another useful feature was the Intelligence summary scroll. Here, you could view both your own and also your rivals current attitude towards discovered neighbours. Specific information was restricted until you established an embassy in a foreign city, such as the type of government in power, military strength, financial strength etc.

If something even remotely similar to this ISF system was incorporated into MTW2 before its release, then you would have a solid strategic element to accompany the already engrossing battles of the TW series.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Interesting Seasoned Alcoholic (great nic).

Never played CTP2, as you describe it its certainly a good option. Only thing I might add would be the religion factor. Granted as a catholic you might have a good repore with a muslim leader, but if other catholics are sending crusades against him he might start to dislike catholics altogether.

MTW already has influence for kings which dosent seem to matter to much in my diplomatic actions. The system you mention does it have variables for the prestige of the players? If my 5 influence king wants to befriend your 1 influence king, in that system is more apt to make the pact?

One of the aspects that isnt in MTW is the perception of the power of kingdoms. When the pope made an edict kingdoms listened, when England weighed in on the French people listened (sometimes). So expanding on this point, the system you present is a good one, splash in the subtleties of influence, or "titles" influence into the impact of the negotiations and now we have something pretty dynamic.

Sua Sponte

Post Re: On AI and Diplomacy

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    MTW already has influence for kings which dosent seem to matter to much in my diplomatic actions. The system you mention does it have variables for the prestige of the players? If my 5 influence king wants to befriend your 1 influence king, in that system is more apt to make the pact?
    If you were a world superpower for example (in terms of both military and economic strength), when dealing with lesser nations you would usually choose a Kind tone in diplomacy. This is because you are in a sense 'looking down' upon your smaller and weaker rivals (this would usually improve your standing amongst nations). On the other hand, if you were a minnow in a pond of bigger fish, you would usually select a Neutral tone, because you don't have the power to concern your rivals. Most are suspicious of a superpower's motives, and these would be closely watched by the AI.

Basically if you were a superpower hell-bent on destroying the world, backstabbing your weaker allies and threatening every civilizarion you encountered, nobody would want to deal with you in diplomatic negotiations (at least this is realistic ).

Its a shame that Influence doesn't seem to come into play as often as it should do, as you've highlighted. The ISF feature was used rather than influence in CTP2, so basically the AI would treat you as you have already treated others, but this would depend on the AI's core attitudes. For example:

* Elizabeth I (English) - Aggressive Imperialist

These attittudes towards expansion, recruitment, construction, diplomacy and so on were quite broad, as there were a number of variations such as:

* Isolationist Autocratic
    * Militaristic Expansionist
    * Agreeable Trader

You already see elements such as this present in RTW (I'm not sure about MTW as I haven't played it ) in the AI's recruitment and construction biases. EG Balanced Caesar, Craftsman Napoleon, Comfortable Stalin etc.
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 02-11-2006 at 11:53.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Lots and lots of good points here.I particularly like the ideas put forward by Seasoned Alcoholic from Civ2.I would however add something else to the whole diplomacy section of the game.I believe we should have a scale or a rating with each faction even if it was something simplistic like the progress bar in MTW to show your standing in the GA mode.For instance if you formed a trade agreement with a faction you might move up the scale to 1 with that faction.If you married one of your Princes to the youngest Princess of a rival faction you might move up the scale with THAT faction to 2.If you married one of your Princess's to the heir of another faction thus making her the future Queen then you should move up to 4 (just as an example,i'm still making this up) on the scale.Also this might unlock further Diplomacy Options that might have been greyed out on the options list earlier.When the heir becomes King and your beloved daughter becomes Queen you would then have even FURTHER options in your dealings with that faction e.g most favoured trading nation, guarantees of military assistance in the case of an attack by an outsider not allied to that faction.If you attacked someone without first declaring war or maybe even without letting your ally know about it maybe you would move back down the scale with that faction and even with some other factions you are not even dealing with yet (a negetive scale ranking).
    I think religious agents should also have some diplomacy and conversion options e.g dropping an Iman on to a Catholic General might reduce that mans faith(or strengthen his resolve in case of failure) or even start to convert him if his faith is low enough.What if this could be done to Kings or Heirs e.g conversion of state religion could become a possibility and maybe opening up the tech tree for new buildings.Maybe even the formation of a secular state with freedom of religion (imagine the loyalty issues arising from these examples).

Okay i'm done.Just a few ideas i threw out there.Good?Bad?Probably too hard to implement.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."