Thread: The Roman Unit that Begins with P

Default The Roman Unit that Begins with P

Sorry I know how to say it but not how to spell it. They have spears, and I was under the impression they used sword, I am wondering if you guys give them swords as a main weapon later via a reform?

Im just curious I think this mod will be great when it is completly finished.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Default Re: The Roman Unit that Begins with P

Princepes? Yes, they become sword-armed soldiers after the first "reform."

ok I thought there were more reforms is there a place I can read about them?

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

If you really want to get to know about RTW units (including mods such as EBs), the most informative thing is to look directly at the relevant text file - it's called export_descr_unit.txt (EDU file) and will be in the data folder of your EB installation. You can download a nice utility called Caligula that will allow you to browse units in the file easily and see what the different stats are (we should have it on our downloads here at the Org).

Be aware that EB seems to chance some stats that other mods don't vary so much - including swing speed and lethality. So it's not just the attack and defence stats you have to look at.

EDIT: just realised you probably meant you wanted to know more about the reforms, not the units. The reforms are Polybian and Marius. They happen in 209 BC and 107 BC respectively. I think the Polybian reforms largely replace "early..." units with vanilla ones - e.g. early hastati are replaced with hastati. Marius brings alone the legions. But the best way to find out the detail of the different units is the EDU file.
    Last edited by econ21; 02-08-2006 at 02:36.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: The Roman Unit that Begins with P

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    You can download a nice utility called Caligula that will allow you to browse units in the file easily and see what the different stats are (we should have it on our downloads here at the Org).
    Edit: never mind, I found it. Thank you for the tip.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Org's download section should be reorganized?
    Last edited by Ludens; 02-08-2006 at 16:33.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!