Thread: Circumvallatio

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Circumvallatio

I just discovered it's possible to build forts around an enemy settlement you have besieged and create a circumvallatio like the romans did at some occasions. Very cool, has anyone else tried this? On second thoughts it might be a little exploiting, but it was fun to use it once against Pahlava with Baktria. It's not too much exploiting because it costs a lot to build all those forts to encircle the enemy settlement and you need one unit garrisoning in each fort for it to work, but it was awesome to see it work in action Btw it is possible in vanilla RTW too, but not until EB did I really need it so I didn't discover it until now...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Default Re: Circumvallatio

One thing I'd love for someone who can work with modelling to try is to replace the entrances for the undermining of the walls with a larger structure if they can. Something like a wall. It could be really helpful when the besieged army comes out in a sally. Especially if we could stop the actual undermining process and just let these be defensive walls for the attackers. This way you can build it just like you build any other siege equipment. It's not really "against" the hardcode.

Any chance that that could happen?

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

That sounds interesting. My method uses the other part of the circumvallatio concept - slowing down relief armies so that the siege can continue without suddenly being aborted, or allow me to hold the siege for the one turn it takes to build assault equipment and assault it... Slowing down sallies is another good aspect of the circumvallatio, but unfortunately my method of course doesn't cover that.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    One thing I'd love for someone who can work with modelling to try is to replace the entrances for the undermining of the walls with a larger structure if they can. Something like a wall. It could be really helpful when the besieged army comes out in a sally. Especially if we could stop the actual undermining process and just let these be defensive walls for the attackers. This way you can build it just like you build any other siege equipment. It's not really "against" the hardcode.

It would be great if something like that could be effectively modded into the game, I mean we could do as Caesar did whilst sieging Alesia...and I do like the sound of that

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou

Well, we could disable sapping for all units, then the sap points could be used for circumvallatio only.. Would we want to remove sapping completely, though?

Well, it wouldn't be a true one regardless, but I'm just wondering if the model could be expanded upon and lengthened, to form a defensive wall for a section (a section that could do things like protect archers and such) of 50 feet or something like that.

Yes, well, a section of it. I wonder if it could be done with raised ground et all.. AI wouldn't like it, though, I'm quite certain of it. On the other hand, the AI isn't that bright in sieges in any case.

I've seen them run around and avoid other obstructions when sallying forth. They can handle discarded rams, and manouver around them. I don't think it would be too bad for something like this. But then again it should hurt them or a human when sallying out - currently there is nothing there, but besiegers obviously would have had works in place to stop sallies like this.

You could probably allow the sapping to continue, and just lengthen the model.

This could be really nice for those big cities with massive garrisons. really sounds like a great idea. I hope you can find someone who could model it. Didn't the SPQR leader remodel the forts? He might know how to do something like this.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Hehe, it might be that we'd have to keep sapping in; can sap points be built without sappers?

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

I'm pretty sure you can build sapping points without any sappers.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm