Thread: The Three Reichs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Three Reichs

Okay, mainly I my knowledge of history is limited to modern history. So as such the term the Third Reich often pops up, of course. However this begs an obvious question which for some reasons I've just never known, if Nazi Germany is the third reich, what are the 1st and 2nd?

My guesses where that the first was the Holy Roman Empire, and the second was the Kaisers Germany that ended when Germany lost WW1. Is that at all correct? That's just me guessing.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Default Re: The Three Reichs

You are correct in your assumptions that the HRE was the 1st reich, and Imperial Germany was the 2nd.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Wow, i'm better at guessing than I thought. Thanks for that The Silver Knight.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

The nazis also called their regime the Thousand-Year Empire ("Tausendjähriges Reich") in a shameless reference to God's thousand year kingdom on earth according to the Bible (Revelation 20 and elsewhere).
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Actually, the 1000 year reference comes from the first Reich. The Holy "Roman" Empire lasted roughly 1000 years from the coronation of Charlemagne in 800 till it was disbanded by Franz II in 1806, and Hitler wanted to emulate this.

many people believe that they refer to the greek "empire" and roman empire,. it always takes me alot of time to convince them that thats wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    Actually, the 1000 year reference comes from the first Reich. The Holy "Roman" Empire lasted roughly 1000 years from the coronation of Charlemagne in 800 till it was disbanded by Franz II in 1806, and Hitler wanted to emulate this.
    IIRC, Holy Roman Empire was not founded by Charlemagne (he was emperor), but by Otto I in the year 962 when pope (John XII, IIRC) crowned him for Holy Roman emperor of German nation

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Could be, but only if they antedated the First Reich. The Heiliges Römisches Reich Theutscher Nation originated in the East-Frankish Empire only with Otto I (Xth century) and it was first called Sacrum Romanum Imperium in 1254. I will see what I can find on the issue one of these days.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The term Holy Roman Empire was coined by Barbarossa, not by Otto.

Charlemagne was Frankish, and therefore a "german". The eastern succesor kingdom of his empire (initially called East Francia) indeed became the basis of the HRE, after conquering the middle kingdom wich contained the capitals of Charlemagne's empire, Aken and Rome.
    It was my understanding that Hitler wanted to emulate the succes of the HRE, wich can trace itself back to Charlemagne's coronation in 800. Adrian's explanation sounds credible too.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Hitler used both references.

Edit: Charlemagne was crowned as carolus augustus. Later on the term imperator et augustus would become the official title.
    Last edited by Kralizec; 02-07-2006 at 02:30.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

It was my understanding that Hitler wanted to emulate the succes of the HRE, wich can trace itself back to Charlemagne's coronation in 800. Adrian's explanation sounds credible too..
    The Nazionalsozialismus was a very radical change in German history and the raise to power was a fundamental revolution. Hitler always tried to clowd this. He had to calm the conservatives, who rather had the Kaiser back than a Gefreiter from WW1. He had to give them continuity. That is also the reason why he curried favour with Hindenburg.

Edit: Charlemagne was crowned as carolus augustus. Later on the term imperator et augustus would become the official title.
    The notion 'Kaiser' is derived from the title Caesar. Like Czar, too. So all souvereigns tried to build continuity even to Julius