Thread: units similar to others ?

Default units similar to others ?

Ì´m new to the mod and i find very interesting mod so far... but there are several things i´m confuse, went to the read me and it explained many things... but not all of them.

First i find the units to be very similar from factions to factions... wich it seasm realistic, it don`t give their identities to each factions...

Romans for example are full of barbarians units... wich i don`t understand.

Also i find the voices missing,this may be some beta issue, but i have to ask coz i love to hear my General orders..

when you guys think you will finnish with the ui cards, it´s really hard to newbies to understand each unit without looking at them... well, is more a fancy thing, but i hate to see those peasent UI cards on my general bodyguards :)

Last.. i don`t quite understand the timeline of this... what happen to Gauls, Romans, germania, etc?... From what i understood Gauls was a bunch of factions, but they didn`t get all together and for 1 single faction?

Why is so differnet from vanilla on that aspect?

Thanks.

PS. Òps this should be on the General forum... Mod, pls move !
    Last edited by booker; 02-06-2006 at 02:19.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default Re: units similar to others ?

As for the similar units, there may be two things you are trying to say...

1) Yes many of the units in game will be similar, as the mod contains many different Hellenistic and Celtic factions, which historically, used similar units.

2) If you are speaking about the custom battle unit selection, then yes, the Romans (as well as other factions) will be able to have barbarians. This is due to the complex nature of the EB recruitment system. See this thread on how to go about choosing armies: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60256

The voices are missing, this will be eventually fixed.

The timeline is quite similar to vanilla RTW actually, as the mod begins in 272 BC as compared with vanilla's 270 BC start date. To understand the faction names in EB, just think historical accuracy. CA simply made the Gallic and Germanic tribes all into one faction. EB wishes to portray the most important tribes of Gaul and Germania and therefore we are left with the Aedui and Avernii for Gallic tribes to be included, and Sweboz as the Germanic tribe. The other tribes are presented as rebels, but still have some unique units and features available to them.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    As for the similar units, there may be two things you are trying to say...

1) Yes many of the units in game will be similar, as the mod contains many different Hellenistic and Celtic factions, which historically, used similar units.

2) If you are speaking about the custom battle unit selection, then yes, the Romans (as well as other factions) will be able to have barbarians. This is due to the complex nature of the EB recruitment system. See this thread on how to go about choosing armies: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60256

The voices are missing, this will be eventually fixed.

The timeline is quite similar to vanilla RTW actually, as the mod begins in 272 BC as compared with vanilla's 270 BC start date. To understand the faction names in EB, just think historical accuracy. CA simply made the Gallic and Germanic tribes all into one faction. EB wishes to portray the most important tribes of Gaul and Germania and therefore we are left with the Aedui and Avernii for Gallic tribes to be included, and Sweboz as the Germanic tribe. The other tribes are presented as rebels, but still have some unique units and features available to them.

Hope that helps
    Thank you, you were really helpfull.

When i speak about Units, yeah, basically when i fought on EB i don´t recongnice any of the units... i guess it is coz i need to spend more time with the game as well.

Honeslty i don´t know by heart wich Unit is better, the names don´t help either...

I went to google, before i post this and i did some search and yeah what i believe EB did is to divide the Gaul factions to each one.... like RTW vanilla did with Romans.

If i did understand correctly, EB had Gauls faction all divided, Ì´m correct? this is how it was before... but.. my question is.. does Gaul unified when they fought the romans?...

It seems EB went more in depth with factions,, example, RTW vanilla was American, Africa, while EB went for Canada, US, Mexico, Camerun, etc..
    I´m correct?

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Yep, they chose the most important tribes of each generalized faction in vanilla, and did their best to portray the lesser tribes as best with the rebels. It really boils down to 1) the limits of the RTW game, and 2) the sheer complexity of the historical situation.

The units thing is tricky at first, but you will catch on soon enough. Try the Eb website, www.europabarbarorum.com, for background information on the factions, their history, and their units.

As for the Romans vs. Gaul thing, I'm no expert or even enthusiast on the matter (I'm more of a diadochi guy), but I'm pretty sure that the Romans fought the Gauls on different occasions at different times (so many Celtic tribes) but in Ceaser's Gallic wars, I'm quite sure that the Gauls were pretty much unified under Vercingetroix, though for the details of this topic, hopefully someone else will chime in...

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Here is something of the EB stock explaination of Gaul:

Gaul was originally one big kingdom under the conquering king Ambicatus. Everything was fine for quite a while. The 'tribes' are more like feudal noble houses. The region was administered by Gobret and the Vergobret (magistrates and the high magistrate) who helped organize the various lesser kings into a cognizant body, and held a body not unlike a senate. The Biturges lost political steam, and the Aedui came to power; an Aedui Vergobret was in place, so their agenda was being served in Gaul. Everything was fine, until the Belgae and Germanic tribes began to invade the borders. The Belgae were turned back by the Carnutes, but the Germanic tribes had captured substantial holdings of eastern Gaul. Infighting caused the kingdom to collapse. The Aedui maintained legal authority, but technically were powerless over much of Gaul, except Aulercia, which had the Carnutes, who were religiously devoted to proper authority, their own tribes, and the Insubres, who were relatives. A few kingdoms and confederacies formed. There were, notably, the Armoricans, the Gallic-Britons (the southeast of Britain had been part of Ambicatus's kingdom), Aquitae or Aquitannae (which included the Lemovicians and their subjects), and most importantly, the Arverni 'Alliance'.

The Arverni were in an alliance with the Volcae and Sequanes, but this was more a state of subjection; they abolished the magistrative government and had a monarchy with electors and a warrior-senate. The Arverni king and body of electors, to prevent old loyalties from cropping up to the druids, abolished worship of Cernunnos, the druidic god of Gaul, and encouraged worship of Sucellos, a common Celtic god, but usually worshipped in much less extravagant a fashion in Gaul. The Arverni began raiding Aedui caravans, which was a blatant disregard for the law. They were at first little more than another subset of the numerous rebels, and ideologically were probably seen as little more than a pack of criminals. However, they were a pack of criminals with an army. The Aedui were eventually more or less subject to their will for a while, but the war kicked back up in earnest. Eventually, Gauls were choosing sides again, and Gaul began to unify, either as subjects of the Arverni, or a sub-state of the Aedui. Before the Roman invasion, they controlled all of what remained of Gaul (what wasn't under Germanic or Roman control) between them; as an aside, power shifted in the alliance, to the Sequanes, who had a string of kings.

The Germans were invading again, so the Aedui sent a magistrate to Rome to ask for assistance, as they were hemmed in by two enemies. Not all of the Aedui's senate wanted this though, and there was much argument. Eventually, those who wanted to ally with Rome were left without a government, and allied themselves to Rome. The rest fell apart in arguments about the best course of action. Rome immediately gained defacto control over much of Gaul without a fight. All there was left to do was to defeat the Sequane/Arverni alliance, who were already pretty drained from the lengthy war, and to secure the border from the Germanic tribes. After that, it was more mopping up than anything. The whole country had utterly collapsed. It hadn't been that way, that wasn't the normal mode of operation for the Gauls. During Vercingetorix's rebellion, his alliance with the Aedui was strained because the Aedui wanted to reestablish the magistrates, and he wanted to use the monarchy.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by QwertyMIDX; 02-06-2006 at 05:33.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Honeslty i don´t know by heart wich Unit is better, the names don´t help either...
    If there is a description for unit i would suggest to read it. It will help you to understand how this unit was used historically. Use it in the same way in EB and you will be fine.

Thanks for the info.
    I just went to EB site, again and i find there are all the factions with their history, but also each units... i didn´t saw that before...

Aquincum, Pannonia Inferior Ak-Ink, Eravacouw

Charming thread.