Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map Updates and Previews

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Map Updates and Previews

Tyre looks in danger of being the next victim of coastal erosion

You should see it on the battle map its amazing. The ocean is maybe 100 yards from the walls. Absolutely stunning.
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

What work has been done on sieges will there be new siege engines and walls which arent boring, like doube walls?
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

double walls sadly don't work in RTW. you can make them and they look pretty (and we did this) but they don't work. This is because the secondary walls do not connect and so where there is a seam (say the gate house connecting to the wall) it is as if there is a hole in the wall. If troops run over these seams they fall to their death. So we decided to pull the secondary walls out of the game. Not to mention they also completely borked the path finding in larger cities. It would appear the game just isn't designed to utilize multiple walls. As for seige weapons, we can't modify siege animations and so a trebuchet is out of the question. However their will be catapults (not those ulgy RTW ornager ones, there will be new models) and ballista.
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Not to mention that it would probably be impossible to get siege engines to the second wall - weapons like onagers or ballistae can´t move through city gates or wall breaches, so I strongly suspect the same goes for rams, ladders and siege towers as well - and that is assuming the problems Caius already explained were solved somehow.

You are correct, seige weapons cannot enter the cities. The second walls however do not have gates, theres no way of giving gates to them. Other than the guys falling thru the walls and the path finding issues they actually played great when they surrounded the city square. It meant a lot of hard work to capture a city. But in the end they caused more issues than was really needed so we dropped them.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Cities are divided into paths and blocks of impasseable areas filled with houses. Couldn't you place walls in those areas just for good looks?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Cities are divided into paths and blocks of impasseable areas filled with houses. Couldn't you place walls in those areas just for good looks?
    I was thinking something similar - Rome has arches, why not make it look like an open gate, then place wall like buildings around. Ok so they may not work as walls, but you could probably place towers which fire, which would give them a defensive value, and it would look great.

There are major path finding issues that crop up. No matter where the walls are placed. Sig-one who has also run into the path finding issue. Also as far as I know the walls can't function defensively i.e. fire arrows.

No, I know they wouldn't function as walls, but it might look good.

Aye it would. All I know is that Reiks, the man working on settlement plans recently, tried all sorts of wall combinations. The only place they didn't cause path finding issues was the lowest settlement level where the paths were the most basic.

You shouldn't use wall combinations.

You should look at the inner walls as a big house, not a wall. Model the entire inner wall as one object so that there are no joints. Add gateways above all the paths/roads. The walls should further only exist in the impassable areas of the settlement. Normally these are clusters of houses, only now you replace part of it by a wall.

It can work. If you still don't understand it, would be it worthwhile to make a diagram or would you rather spend your time on something else anyway?

5x larger than vanilla, awesome. The most I could get was 2x. Would you be kind enough to reveal the exact map size in pixels ? and share your technique and what files to edit to achieve such largeness ?

-IceTorque

The original size of map_heights was around 1000X900 - 2 times wider and 2,5 higher then vanilla and that makes totally 5 bigger then vanilla map, i guess BDH made it working. Because of troubles in running it, landmass limit and small number of provinces - 69 i made a smaller one, and now the map is 521x591.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

§Very good work , Love the Arabic UI interface... Have you been able then to implement the new buildings since you asked me?

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Actually no. We went the replacing route instead of the brand new buildings route like you suggested. Everything goes as planned according to the tutorials but then the game either crashes at map loading or it loads and the building is invisible.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Well actually I suggested you to replace , not to add new ones , or may be I expressed myself badly ... you need to edit the item.db file , and substituite the objects there with the new cas files you prepared for high mid or what u want to havelike lods , then u need to place the new cas files in the correct buildings folder , remember that the walls need a separate subfolder for it , I think you can see the correct placing by unpacking the models buildings pak and so see how those are organized .... then u need to delete the relative items from the folder (well this isn't actually needed if u edit the db file ) but if u didn't edit the db file u need the game to recreate it I think (this soulution I didn't try ) but if I am not wrong if u delete the item db file the gamwe should generate a new one provided that he finds all the correct buildings in the correct place , u need to follow then the DJ tutorial for that other way by unpaking in the correct sequence all the stuff.... so as you see there are two solutions , or u follow the DJ solution in his tutorial with my small add on at the end of it , or you edit the item db file possibly with an editor or hex editor ....

About the invisible building , it quite never happened to me , but could be for bad export?

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

Wow, just wow. This game looks absoloutely amazing. I really cannot wait until it comes out, and it does look a lot better than medieval 2. I can see you guys have put a lot of hard work into this, and if i worked at CA, id actually release it as an expansion!! IT really does look that good.

Nice work guys and i absoloutely cannot wait to play it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

Knight who says NI! Member Crusader Invasion's Avatar

^^^ Have you payed the demo for M2TW? It was just officially released. I wouldn't say it surpasses M2 for one reason - Caius has limits in modding, CA doesn't.

Member Member Sed Nomine Tuo da Gloriam's Avatar

Does anyone knows where to find the demo of M2TW? I'd like to test it although I feell Caius 's it's better
    Deus Volt!

Quote Originally Posted by Sed Nomine Tuo da Gloriam
    Does anyone knows where to find the demo of M2TW? I'd like to test it although I feell Caius 's it's better
    Here:
    http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...2demo.exe.html
    More links are availiable in the first article, on the main website www.totalwar.com.

wow! this map is stupendous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12