Thread: Battle strategy for non-phalanx troops

Lurking since the Dawn of Time Member SpawnOfEbil's Avatar

Default Battle strategy for non-phalanx troops

Being used to playing as phalanx armies, with nice straight lines, it came as a bit of a shck when I started playing as the Casse. How on earth do you manage these people in battle? Just send them all in after a warcry and mob the opponent?

Default Re: Battle strategy for non-phalanx troops

The Casse are a bit more difficult of the non-phalanx factions, as they lack cavalry ... but, in essence ... yeah, you just try to mob them.

First you deploy skirmishers and weaken the enemy line, then you send in your shock troops to loosen the enemy battle-line. Keep the rest of your units back, and send them in one at a time, until the enemy line begins to collapse ... then you rush in as much as you can into the hole to make it bigger. After that, you should be able to mop up what's left. Of course, flanking is always useful, but I rarely perform that, at least, not until the enemy battle-line is broken and in pieces.

The lack of cavalry is a major problem ... chariots are useful and effective against cavalry, but that's it, they are easily wiped out in melee, and on top of that, they keep killing each other.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Chariots are fine, just smash them THROUGH the enemy line and follow that up with your shock infantry.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

infantry-based non-phalanx armies aren't just "mob them" they are a lot more mobile/flexible and should be used as such, also remember that in 70% of your battles it helps if you carry more javelins than your opponent...

Bearer of Vilya, Editing Slave Member LordElrond's Avatar

What happens the other 30% of the time?
    I really enjoy non-phalanx battles. I enjoy sending wave after wave of barbarians into the enemy until they crumble.

Edit: Nah, you weren't overstating. I love their effectiveness in this game.
    Last edited by LordElrond; 02-14-2006 at 01:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Oh. My. God.

70% of your battles are decided by javelin-advantage. but i was overstating i guess....
    In most of my arveni campaigns i kill of about 15% of teh enemy before h2h begins. Mala Gaeros Rule!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    70% of your battles are decided by javelin-advantage. but i was overstating i guess....
    In most of my arveni campaigns i kill of about 15% of teh enemy before h2h begins. Mala Gaeros Rule!
    I tougth you were dead...

Anyway playing as the Arverni or Aedui just use one unit of gaesatae and a few infantry units to hold the line then encircle them with javelin infantry and they're as dead as can be.

Because Chariots are so scary for foot soldiers, I usually let battle join in as much of a line as I can make. Then, I run the chariots around behind the troops and drive them just behind the enemy once. This seems to lower their morale enough that I can wheel about and smash the weak section of the line to cause a rout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertgregoor
    I tougth you were dead...

Anyway playing as the Arverni or Aedui just use one unit of gaesatae and a few infantry units to hold the line then encircle them with javelin infantry and they're as dead as can be.
    whatever the problem, gaesatae are teh answer!
    have obtained mediovalum (sp...) and can nwo recruit them, bloody expensive..