Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Boondock Saints makes me want to be Irish

A+ BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME. VENGANCE UPON EVILDOERS MAY GOD BE WITH YOU. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111
    It is indeed a great movie.

Been a while since I last saw it though...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Cheppelle Block Party

One word:

Halarious.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Anyone saw the remake of 'The hills have eyes'? I loved the original and I heard this one is even better, yay to seventies style gorefests

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just watched Ocean's 12 on TV, and was like "What? That's it?" at the end. It was disappointing. If you watch it, I suggest stopping after the laser light dance scene (you'll know it when you see it) and imagining the end.

The last movie I saw was Waiting. It was funny the first time around...the kind of funny that gets better if there's someone with a two-beer buzz in the room. I hear that it's funnier if you work in a restaurant, as well.
    Probably. I watched a trailer for it when the employees were almost ready to clean up and leave and the store was almost closed when a couple walked in for dinner. This made the employees very angry, and let me tell you that that is the truth. Delays everyone by half an hour or more.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I watched the movie "Spartan" on TV yesterday - I'd seen it before and did not think I would watch it out a second time, but it sucked me in again. It's written by David Mamet and he has a very compelling but highly stylised way of writing dialogue. It's kind of like rap music mixed with Shakespeare. I love it. The nuances of the plot were hard to discern, but it was very tense and with a bleak atmosphere. A very good thriller.

Hanging out with some friends of mine and we watched "The Island"

I think it was great, but sort of sad. It had a happy ending, but some seemed a bit unreal. It does take place in the future though.

4.5/5

(lets use scale of 1-5 in rating movies in this thread from now on?)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Hanging out with some friends of mine and we watched "The Island". I think it was great, but sort of sad.
    I saw that on a plane. The two scenes when the main character slips out and finds out what the Island is really about were pretty disturbing.

The rest of the film was rather loud and frenetic, although I thought the actor playing lead mercenary hunting the fugitives was quietly impressive.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Saw 'La Stanzo del figlio' last night, Italian movie about a familty losing it's son, and how they deal with it. Good movie, but for gods sake, just pull the trigger and kill me right now, it will take weeks to get my testosteron on a acceptable level. This movie is harsh, yet entirely believable. I have no regret watching it but I did want to break stuff afterwards. If you can handle some serious drama, and have enough tissues just in case you don't, watch it. I can barely watch Bambi and the Lion king without crumbling, so this was a hard one for me

I saw Les Poupees Russes (The Russian Dolls), romance/comedy, from 2005 and "The Descent", adventure/horror, from 2005. Both were quite good and entertaining. Lion's Gate has been holding back USA release of both of these films, and rumor has it that they are going to change the ending of "The Descent" which would be a shame.

I saw Fragile from 2005 which is a passable but not great supernatural/thriller. It has a very large plot hole, and some of the characters seem to stay in denial about the strange events occuring far too long.

I saw Elizabethtown from 2005 which is an entertaining but far fetched romantic/comedy about dealing with failure. I got some really good laughs at various points in this movie. The memorial service is quite funny. As usual, Cameron Crowe works in a lot of rock music, and taking a road trip is how you figure out what's important in life.

I saw The New World from 2005, which is an historical/adventure/drama/romance, twice in the theater and liked it a lot for it's visual style and symbolism, but many people don't like the slow pace and lack of dialog. It's shot on 65mm film.

Avalon from 2001 is a fantasy/sci-fi/drama about how virtual reality can start taking over a person's real life and about the respective values of individual effort and teamwork. I've seen this picture 5 times. I find it thought provoking, but it is slow paced.

The White Hell of Pitz Palu is a silent picture from 1929 beautifully restored from a nitrate print with a new orchestral score shot on location in the Alps at the Pitz Palu (pale mountain). It's one of the "mountain pictures" made in Germany and combines amazing mountain photography by Arnold Fanck with a good dramatic story directed by G.W. Pabst. It also has some impressive flying by Ernst Udt who was a WWI flying ace with 62 kills and the foremost stunt pilot of the era. No stunt people used in this film, and the temperature was well below freezing during most of the shooting. It's available on a Kino DVD.

The Girl Next Door from 2004 is a teenage/high school comedy/romance that was entertaining, but quite far fetched. It was fun to watch.

The Cube from 1997 is a sci-fi/drama that I had never seen. I thought it was very good. It dealt with group cooperation and had a lot of commentary about society. The sequels "Cube Zero" and "Cube 2" (Hypercube) are apparently quite bad.

The Nights of Cabiria is a drama from 1957 by Federico Fellini when he was still filming in the Italian neo-realist style. It's a very good picture about a prostitute seeking happiness with an outstanding performance by Giulietta Massina. The film was the inspiration for the USA film "Sweet Charity", but that film didn't adhere to the original story. You can also see another outstanding performance by Giulietta Massina in the earlier "La Strata" from 1954.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-12-2006 at 14:05.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Let's get this stickied!...

I watched an old favorite of mine. Star Wars Episode:III. I always love the newest ones even if some people say the story is off. The new stunts the playwriters come up with are amazing, and the graphics just get better and better.

5/5

I saw "The transporter". One of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Supporting cast is so-so but the lead is very good (Jason Statham). The fight choreography really makes the movie, it's better than Jet Li or Jackie Chan. I'd never seen anything quite like it, very innovative. The plot isn't revealed to you (you only know what he knows) but they didn't feel the need to throw a bunch of bewildering details at you just to confuse you like so many hollywood movies do these days.

5/5

Sasaki: The Transporter 2 is just as good, if not better, than the first one.

Puzz3d: Cube 2 is not _too_ bad, imo, although, to be honest, it is little more than a re-spin of the first one. However, if you liked the first one, you'll be ok with this one too. Haven't seen Cube Zero yet.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

The action sequences in The Transporter 2 (2005) are a lot less believable than they were in The Transporter (2002). If you are ok with way over-the-top action sequences and fight sequences that approach Jackie Chan movies at times, the film is a lot of fun. Kate Nauta is great as the bikini clad, female assassin sporting twin machineguns. Unfortunatly, she sustained a serious leg injury doing her final fight scene with Jason Statham, and that sequence had to be cut short.

The Tai-Chi Master (USA DVD title Twin Warriors) from 1993 is a very good Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh martial arts movie with about 20 action sequences which are only over-the-top in a couple of places. The fight with the bamboo polls is outstanding, but all the fight scenes are very well done and the story is good too.

Equilibrium (2002) is a well done sci-fi action/thriller movie set in an Orwellian future where feeling emotion is illegal and considered subversive. The government issues a drug to everyone which surpresses emotional feelings. Possessing works of art such as paintings, books and music which might elicit emotion is also illegal. Christian Bale is a specially trained enforcer of these laws. The scientifically researched martial arts skill of "gun kata" allows action sequences reminiscent of "The Matrix". The story has been done before, but this time it's combined with a lot more action.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-12-2006 at 16:07.

Of Sun and Steel Member ArcticSonata's Avatar

curently unrealeased but is poised to be the new standard for films everywhere starring Samuel L Jackson, "Snakes...ON A PLANE!!!!!

Sorry about the double post is it possible for one of the mods to deleate the second one
    Last edited by ArcticSonata; 03-13-2006 at 19:35.
    Narf!!!!!!!

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Just saw Brokeback mountain, overall it's a decent movie. The best thing about it are the beautiful scenery shots though. I'm considering visiting Wyoming now, if i can ever get the enough money to afford the trip. The stroy is a pretty standard love stroy, done by the numbers, only towards the end does it start to deviate and frankly, that's when it starts to drag on. It's also too long, half an hour could have easily been cut. The worst thing about it is heath ledger though, his accent is incredibly unnatural and quite laughable really.

overall: this movie doesn't deserve the hype, the credit or the awards it's gotten, but it ain't bad. Watch it for the beautiful cinematography and try not look at the guys making out ....
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

I saw Ultraviolet a couple of weeks ago. It was a pretty good movie if all you're looking for is a hot chick killing some futuristic bad guys in a sci fi comic book future. Kind of like the FEAR PC game, only without the blood and with a hot chick as the star. Ultraviolet certainly doesn't deserve the pounding it's been taking by the critics. The plot and dialogue is not good, but who cares - that's not the point of the movie. I give Ultraviolet a 75%.

I saw Walk the Line the other day. It was highly disappointing to me. Most of the fundamental parts of the story are never actually told. Ie: never shows where Cash met his first wife; never shows where Cash met his first band mates; never shows how they turned from "The Tennessee Two" to "The Tennessee Three"; never explains what Cash did in the airforce or what the terms of his leaving it were; never shows Cash getting a divorce from his first wife even when the story passes a point in time when he had one; never shows what the medical condition that had Cash addicted to pills was. June says to Cash near the end: "you are a good man", yet the movie consists of about 2 hours worth of almost nothing other than Johnny Cash banging groupies whilst cheating on his first wife, getting drunk & high, vandalizing hotel rooms and stages, acting like an animal towards June, and generally being a total jerk and very bad man. Based on what is shown in the movie, there was nothing to make me believe there was any merit to June telling Cash that he was a good man. Phoenix has an angry look on his face for just about 100% of the movie. Worst of all, the music scenes in the movie often cut out to something far less interesting just when I was getting into the performances. This is especially bad for the Folsom concert which is hyped from the start of the movie, and then they only end up showing a fraction of one song from it being performed. That was highly lame and I felt deceived by the opening of the movie leading up to a climax that wasn't there. Then the movie ends at 1968 and just shows a one-line blurb for June then Johnny for the periods between 1968 and the rest of their lives. I give Walk the Line a 50%.

I saw Derailed (2005) a thriller/drama with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston. I enjoyed it and after the initial buildup was an exciting thriller, but it was implausable in several places. There also is one and possibly more plot holes that are hard to explain away. If you are going to see this movie, don't read anything about the plot because the less you know the better.

I saw House of 9 (2005 - actually filmed in 2003) a thriller something like Cube (1997) and Battle Royal (2000), but not as good as either of those. It focuses on the psychology of a group of stereotypical character types trapped in a situation together. It's not as intense as Saw (2004) probably due to the acting which is average at best. Dennis Hopper plays a priest.

Speaking of Battle Royale, the second one is nowhere near as good as the first one.
    Rehash of the same idea, but whereas the acting and some actions were pretty funny (if you ignore the unlikeliness of it all) in the first one, in the second one they are little more than unrealistic and exaggerated...not too much fun, either.

I liked Battle Royal II (2003) 133 minute version (I guess the 155 minute director's cut is better, but it won't be available until May 22, 2006) because what I wanted to see in Battle Royal was for the kids to turn on the authorities, and that's what happens in the sequel. (I know Battle Royal is about breaking down a group and making the members turn on themselves.) Those kids must be taking out 4 or 5 commandoes for every kid they loose. It's a complete fantasy, but the battle scenes are pretty good. In reality, the govenment would simply have obliterated the island, and kids wouldn't stand a chance against commandoes anyway.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-16-2006 at 23:49.

I'm going to watch the movie Crash tonight. It's supposed to be really good, but really sad.

I just finished watching Crash.

All I have to say is wow. I can't really explain how touching it really is. It's about rascism, but it depicts it in such a great way. Everyone needs to watch this.

Wow. Just wow...

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    I just finished watching Crash.

All I have to say is wow. I can't really explain how touching it really is. It's about rascism, but it depicts it in such a great way. Everyone needs to watch this.

Wow. Just wow...
    i agree with you, i found it moving and terribly sad too
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Yes, Crash packs a real emotional punch. Some parts - the car crash rescue, the guardian angel - are almost unbearable to watch.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Just saw Munich and would highly recommend it. I guess you have to be interested in politics or current affairs to get a lot out of it, but it had a lot more action, characterisation and drama in it than I was expecting. Critics who have damned it for not being exciting enough must have watched too much hyperactive wham-bam conventional Hollywood products. The action is very well done but then ever since seeing the garage lot shoot-out in Sugarland Express, I have been convinced Spielberg is a genius at depicting violence as real and terrifying. The opening depiction of the Munich Olympic kidnapping and its subsequent portrayal through flash-backs are gripping and horrifying. The film has an excellent acting ensemble, with some intriguing characters (if anyone can tell me who or what Louis and his father were, I'd be indebted). Personally, I found it politically neutral, raising but not necessarily answering the question about whether assasinations of terrorist suspects are justified. All sides are depicted as human - the Palestinians assassinated often appear mature, urbane and humane. While some of the Israelis come to doubt their mission, what the film hammers home is the intrinsically awful nature of taking a life, rather than a wider political agenda.
    Yes I went to see it last weekend, I too liked it a lot.

At times it was really depressing and sad - think the terrible ending of the Jewish hostages in the helicopter - and other scenes were done in the way that sets Spielberg apart from the other movie directors.
    The acting was good, Eric Bana who played the lead role did it with all his heart and the supporting actors were all well chosen and fit and played their roles perfectly.
    There certainly wasn't a shortage of action in this movie, the whole movie practically revolves around assassinations and the actual kidnapping of the hostages and the action scenes are really well done, better than in many other action movies.

I'd recommend everyone to see this movie, I enjoyed it a lot at any rate.

PS : Simon, what was your favorite scene / part of the movie ?

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Wow, this is really cool. I just noticed now that my dad is watching the movie, that in many scenes the RTW music is playing! You know the one in the BI clip of the hordes destroying Rome and all? The lady who is chanting? Well, in quite a few scenes that song is in Crash. Tell me if anyone else notices it.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It's not even released yet, but I'm pretty sure this will be a thumbs-down.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382731/

But it's going to be in Punic!

The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

I suspect we have Mel Gibson to thank for that...! I'm pretty sure you're right, the omens don't look good, which is a real shame as this is one story I'd very much like to see done properly and accurately. it doesn't need embellishing, the reality of Hannibal's career is amazing enough.

On a completely lowbrow change a subject I watched Lethal Weapon recently, I'd forgotten what stoopid fun those films are!
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone

Who the hell speaks Punic?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by drone

eh....this _could_ have been nice...but directed and played by Vin Diesel ?
    Is Hannibal gonna be XX (or whatever, the precursor of XXX) ?
    Is he gonna get out there and kick Roman legionary ass with his bare hands as he was instructed in the uber-leet-special forces ? Is he gonna drive cool sports ca-eh, horses ?
    Is he gonna jump from... uhm, hot air balloons ?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Who the hell speaks Punic?

Maltese language (I guess it's called that way, analogy to maltese falcon) uses the syntax from Punic and a variety of words from different languages, of which one is old Punic.

Anyway, last movie I saw was Syriana, and well...I got the general idea, but I think they overcomplicated it and added some confusing moments.

Also, I saw Green Street Hooligans the other day. The whole idea is a bit unbelievable,and it was rather funny to se Elijah Wood get in street fighting (we nicknamed the movie "Frodo hooligan") but in general the depicted the hooligan scene pretty well, and it's interesting movie if you're into it or have some general idea.
    For God, King and Country!

Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast