Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Outrage - Entertaining yarn about the struggles in a Yakuza operation. I doubt there went 60 seconds without someone getting beaten, disfigured, shot, tortured. The sets, style, dress and violence carry the convoluted and nearly ridiculous story. The following trailer seems stupid especially with the music and slow mo that isn't ever present in the movie. It does give a taste of the directing style which is superb

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw the Avengers. It's amazing.

Well written, well directed, well acted and good special effects.

Whedon managed to mix superheroes from 4 different franchises into one movie and make it work.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Tucker and Dale vs Evil. On Netflix, really funny movie. Basically an anti-horror movie, and serves to send the message that people shouldn't be judged by what they look like, how they talk, or where they live. Only an hour and a half long, so if you have the time you should definitely watch it.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Horrible Bosses

Totally overrated. Barely amusing.

6/10
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian to the Iron View Post
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil. On Netflix, really funny movie. Basically an anti-horror movie, and serves to send the message that people shouldn't be judged by what they look like, how they talk, or where they live. Only an hour and a half long, so if you have the time you should definitely watch it.
    Yup. Saw this one a while back and laughed my jaws sore. Nice black comedy to watch if you're having a doozy of a day.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Predators - 2.5 of 5 Stars

It kind of sucked actually. The first Predator was much better. There was though, one part that was IMHO really epic.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The main character is examining the wound on one of his teammates, when the other one (who is, unbeknown to him, a crazy killer who just paralyzed his teammate) says "I thought you were a really asshole, but you came back. I guess you are a good person after all." As he comes behind the main character with a knife. The main character sees his paralyzed teammate hyper-ventilating though, and knows that the crazy guys is about to kill him. He spins around and sticks the knife into the crazy guy, and says "No, but I am fast."

I don't know, maybe I am just a little immature, but I thought that was pretty awesome.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I saw Insidious recently. I think good, fun horror movies are hard to find, but this one left me satisfied.

Last edited by Xiahou; 05-16-2012 at 20:02.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Expendables: Director's Cut - 10/5 Stars
    Yeah, that good. Honestly, it is 50 times better than the non-directors cut. I am not sure I will be able to watch the theatrical release after seeing this.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You could also just buy me a drink.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Predators - 2.5 of 5 Stars

It kind of sucked actually. The first Predator was much better. There was though, one part that was IMHO really epic.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The main character is examining the wound on one of his teammates, when the other one (who is, unbeknown to him, a crazy killer who just paralyzed his teammate) says "I thought you were a really asshole, but you came back. I guess you are a good person after all." As he comes behind the main character with a knife. The main character sees his paralyzed teammate hyper-ventilating though, and knows that the crazy guys is about to kill him. He spins around and sticks the knife into the crazy guy, and says "No, but I am fast."

I don't know, maybe I am just a little immature, but I thought that was pretty awesome.
    I would go to 3 out of 5 for Predators if were taking it that the original Predator is a 5 out of 5 movie.

The newer movie is the best since the original even with all it's flaws and is certainly better than Predator 2 and AVP 1 an 2 combined.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Finally managed to lay my hands on a copy of Hobo with a Shotgun.

It is insanely bloody. I mean it makes Machete look like Sunday morning cartoons for kids. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea. My friend went out of the room when they started sawing the girl's neck.
    That said I found it OK. The it was fun watch the titular hobo with his shotgun, although I would've liked maybe a few more bad guys dying.
    Also I felt the end was a little sad, although in hindsight I guess it sat well with the overall grim theme of the movie. And the greatest heroes always die.

Yeah it's very violent but also hilarious. Reminds me of classics like The 'Toxic Avenger' or 'Bad Taste', so rediculously violent that you can help but laugh. I loved the plague, can beat badguys who carry portable gallows. And the oneliners are awesome.

The Dictator

Many funny scenes, a few amazingly hilarious scenes; overall, great movie, though not as great as Borat.
    8/10
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I saw Dark Shadows last night. It had some ok moments but then there were times when I really wished the movie was over, I got depressed about half way through the movie when I realized that the climax hadn't come yet and I still had to watch it. The acting was intentionally bad for comedic effect but it wasn't funny, just hard to watch. The humor was awful, I didn't laugh once and hardly anyone in the audience did either. Johnny Depp was a little bit entertaining to watch and the setting was interesting but not enough to save the movie. 3/10.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    I saw Dark Shadows last night. It had some ok moments but then there were times when I really wished the movie was over, I got depressed about half way through the movie when I realized that the climax hadn't come yet and I still had to watch it. The acting was intentionally bad for comedic effect but it wasn't funny, just hard to watch. The humor was awful, I didn't laugh once and hardly anyone in the audience did either. Johnny Depp was a little bit entertaining to watch and the setting was interesting but not enough to save the movie. 3/10.
    I also felt that it was more of the same. Burton and Depp should probably stop working with each other for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Meh to hear, love Burton's movies

Watching The Crusader, awesome Swedish series with incredible production values. Especially the sound is simply fantastic, my trusty Beovision says I

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Watching The Pacific, a 10-part mini-series by the same people who did Band of Brothers. In short: Its not as good. I don't know how else to say it, I'm really dissapointed so far. Still have 7 episodes to go though, so maybe it'll get better. The Pacific War was unprecedented in every way, from the size of the theatre, to the composition of forces, to the methods of fighting, to the wholly unique way the war ended. It deserves more than the cheezy and cliche stuff i've seen in the first 3 episodes.
    It's good but as you say it can't match Band of Brothers. To many uninteresting characters for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Machete

When it was first released and I saw the lead actor I thought that this is the man who get's whupped by Antonio Banderas and I did not watch it.
    Then after hearing a lot of good things about it I finally did watch it. And it's everything a guy can want in a film of the genre. Blood, gore and sex aplenty. And it's got some funny, outrageous moments too. The thermometer in the guy's neck. The bit where he kidnaps the daughter and the wife. Full of win.
    All in all excellent film. Must watch for fans of the genre.
    Danny Trejo has made a career out of playing the badguy/biker-with-the-heart-of-gold in countless b-list moves (think van damme type stuff), and sometimes play a minor role in larger films like Heat, and Devils Rejects. He's actually a pretty decent actor and can carry his lines just fine if you consider that he is like 6'4" and is 60 years old
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans being his #1. That movie is too awesome for words.

"His soul is still dancing! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Madness. Con Air was terrible, the whole premise was dumb, even him going to prison in the first place.

Moostruck, Raising Arizona and Leaving Las Vegas are Cage's finest work, and it is too bad he makes crap like National Treasure and Bad Lt these days.

What was the movie where he thought he was becoming a vampire and ran around the park with fake teeth chasing pigeons? That was a doozy as well

Watching The Pacific, a 10-part mini-series by the same people who did Band of Brothers. In short: Its not as good. I don't know how else to say it, I'm really dissapointed so far. Still have 7 episodes to go though, so maybe it'll get better. The Pacific War was unprecedented in every way, from the size of the theatre, to the composition of forces, to the methods of fighting, to the wholly unique way the war ended. It deserves more than the cheezy and cliche stuff i've seen in the first 3 episodes.
    Tell me about it.
    What I hated the most about the series was how they introduced us to so many characters that by the end when they did the "what did they do afterwards" thing I had no idea who half of them were.

If they stuck to Sledge then it would have been better.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Now that i've finished it, I have mixed feelings. Some of the episodes were fantastic, and some of the characters were too. John Basilone's entire story-arc was great, and so was Sledge's. The snarky cool-guy that sledge makes friends with is also a very memorable character. Compared to Band of Brothers, I felt the characters were (mostly) more believable and human.
    What? The Pacific pales in every way when compared to Band of Brothers.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

My biggest beef with The Pacific was how hammy it got, though.
    Wait...that's two different meats.
    This space intentionally left blank

Girl with the Dragon Tattoe, it's good but slightly annoying. If you do an American remake what's wrong with letting it take place in the US with American characters instead of with actors mimmicking a scandinavian accent, it wouldn't hurt the story in any way. It distracts from what is really the superior version imho.

Oh and,

Best intro whatsitcalled I have ever seen, beautiful

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Saw Chronicle.

Enjoyed it, with one gripe; no high school kids in the pacific northwest would carry around umbrellas at school. Clearly the script was written by (dundunDUN) an out of stater!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, great fun. Awesome gadgets, great action and cheesy humor. Perfect entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Saw Chronicle.

Enjoyed it, with one gripe; no high school kids in the pacific northwest would carry around umbrellas at school. Clearly the script was written by (dundunDUN) an out of stater!

CR
    I was watching it with my friend from Seattle and he mentioned the same thing.
    Otherwise the movie was great. Did a great job chronicling Andrew's decent into insanity.
    Not to mention some really funny scenes.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Hey guys the new Twilight Trailers are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Hey guys the new Twilight Trailers are out.
    Time to get a bottle of rum then.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Time to get a bottle of rum then.
    Don't mind if I join you?

Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast