Page 10 of 114 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

I saw Dumb and Dumber (for the 100th time), but this time it was different. I watched it with two of my friends who'd never seen it, which seemed to make it more funny...

Great comedy classic!

Thumbs up Re: Movie Review Thread

dumb, dumber, dumbest.

just a joke!

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

V for Vendetta

9/11 + 1984 + Shakespeare = Great movie!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    V for Vendetta

9/11 + 1984 + Shakespeare = Great movie!
    I think it's a good movie, but if the producers had stuck to the novel's theme that it is justifiable to fight for one's liberty it would have been a great movie. Instead, they were afraid to send that message and created an extremely corrupt government as the justification for V's actions.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Talladega Nights The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. The funniest film of all time
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Haven't seen that, but heard it made $47 million in it's opening weekend, so it's probably good.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

or it could be alot of people who saw it and afterward said it sucked. but seriously Ricky Bobby looks very funny.

10 more days until Snakes On A Plane comes out! It could be the best or worst movie of all time with how much hype it has received. Regardless of how good (or bad) it is going to be, it's hilarious seeing everyone get so worked up over this film.

"There's mother****** snakes on this mother****** plane!"
    Last edited by Beirut; 08-09-2006 at 00:23.

it sounds really cool, but the teasers are stupid (the one where you get a call from Samuel Jackson)

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I eat snakes.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    I think it's a good movie, but if the producers had stuck to the novel's theme that it is justifiable to fight for one's liberty it would have been a great movie. Instead, they were afraid to send that message and created an extremely corrupt government as the justification for V's actions.
    Yeah I like the movie a lot too.

Tough Pyyz3D I think the comics were better ofcourse.They always are but the reason they depicted the government differently is not so surprising but understandable. The times the comics were being made were completely different times. It was the time of Tatcher and the vision of the future was different then now. We have completely different fears the we have then. Everything changes, even our fears and 9/11 only made the change go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertgregoor
    We have completely different fears the we have then. Everything changes, even our fears and 9/11 only made the change go faster.
    The theme of liberty is even more relevent post 9/11. The film would have you believe that democracy is the answer. We are witnessing now how fear can be used to erode liberty even in a democracy.

Liberty yes. But you can't say you're fearing a government like that from the commics now? Are you?

Liberty yes. But you can't say you're fearing a government like that from the commics now? Are you?
    It's possible to put a fascist government into power by democratic means. The idea of giving up liberty for your protection appears attractive when fear is capitalized upon.

Moore remarked that his comic had been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country". I watched the interviews with the filmakers on the DVD. Of course, they all said their changes to the story were improvements, and they never once mentioned Alan Moore who has removed his name from the film and severed ties with DC Comics. I've tried to watch the movie on DVD several times, but I loose interest at the start of the final act because I know that silly ending with the masks is coming. The end should have looked like the massacre on the steps at Odessa in the movie Potemkin (1925).

The Descent (2005) is a well done adventure/horror released last year in Britian, but delayed until now in the USA so that The Cave could have it's theatrical run. The USA distributor, Lion's Gate, also prevailed in its attempt to alter the ending to cater to USA audience sensibilities by cutting off that last minute of the film which leaves the viewer with a completely different impression. I feel the original ending is much better.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 08-14-2006 at 00:16.

It's possible to put a fascist government into power by democratic means. The idea of giving up liberty for your protection appears attractive when fear is capitalized upon.
    Indeed it is possible. History has proven that.
    Moore remarked that his comic had been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country". I watched the interviews with the filmakers on the DVD. Of course, they all said their changes to the story were improvements, and they never once mentioned Alan Moore who has removed his name from the film and severed ties with DC Comics. I've tried to watch the movie on DVD several times, but I loose interest at the start of the final act because I know that silly ending with the masks is coming. The end should have looked like the massacre on the steps at Odessa in the movie Potemkin (1925).
    The ending with the mask I quite a descendo, yes. But I still think that it is a decent movie. Yes they changed it and made it less (hmm what's the word...) shocking (well not the right word but I can't find any better. me non native) but they did send out a message. Perhaps not as bold as moore was but at least it did send some message.

by the way wasn't it that Moore asked to be removed but that he still was on the titles or something?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Anyone seen the following movies:

Click
    Cars
    Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
    Garfield 2: The Tale of the 2 Kitties

I really want to see them all, so I wonder what are your opinions about them.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The end should have looked like the massacre on the steps at Odessa in the movie Potemkin (1925).
    I recently watched this movie like it should be watched, with a full orchestra in the Amsterdam concerthall. Very impressive, and louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    I recently watched this movie like it should be watched, with a full orchestra in the Amsterdam concerthall. Very impressive, and louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.
    Alexander Nevsky (1938) would no doubt be impressive on the big screen as well.

After seeing V for Vendetta (2005), I think I'll watch Ivan the Terrible Part I (1944) and Part II (1948) since I've never seen these two highly regarded movies of Sergi Eisenstein.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Escape from New York isn't very good, but it inspired Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series. I'm only vaguely familiar with it and I got it immediately. Kinda cool just for that, although it's mostly pure corny distopian future/action movie.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Joe Somebody is one of the worst movies ever made.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Default Sv: Movie Review Thread

Just saw Silent hill.
    And all I say is AWESOME !!
    Easily the best game/movie made so far.
    It really captured the feeling of the game and it doesn't hold back on the blood and gore either.
    Also pyramid head kicks major butt in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Joe Somebody is one of the worst movies ever made.
    you saw that one on tv, no? Well itsn't the worst film if you ask me. But it really comes close.

Queen Margot (1994) is a very good adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' classic novel of the same name which focuses on the story of Marguerite de Valois during the events immediately prior to the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre in Paris in Aug, 1572 and covers about a 2 year period after that. The people and most of the events in the story are true, although the cause of death of Charle IX is incorrect and changed for dramatic purposes. Some of the conspiracies can't be known for sure, and the film portrays one of several possible viewpoints. Some of the dramatic romanticism is fictional. The acting and production are both excellent. The movie is in French with English subtitles.

Children of the Century (1999) is the story of the love affair between George Sand and Alfred de Musset in the 1830's. It's very well acted by the real life lovers, Juliette Binoche and Benoît Magimel. It doesn't try to cover their contribution to creative literature or from where their creative talent sprang. The film is in French with English subtitles.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 08-14-2006 at 02:56.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

you saw that one on tv, no? Well itsn't the worst film if you ask me. But it really comes close.
    Well, I saw parts of it, I just couldn't keep watching it.

The problem with the movie is that it struggles with its 'morals' and is also less believable than LOTR.
    First the guy gets beat up in the parking lot, then instead of suing (duh !) he challenges the 'bully' to a fight.
    Everyone in the company cheers him on instead of making fun of him for even trying.
    In the end he doesn't fight the guy because 'violence is not the answer', but then he does hit a guy for saying something about his girlfriend ? Way to drive the message home...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I don't want to bash American movies but they always seem to want to teach us something (=> the moral of the story). A lot of times this is succeful without being annoying, but sometimes it really is to much. In the case of Joe Somebody it is just to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Anyone seen the following movies:
    Click
    Cars
    Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
    Garfield 2: The Tale of the 2 Kitties

I really want to see them all, so I wonder what are your opinions about them.
    The only one I've seen is Pirates, which I didn't think was up to the original. It's non-stop, frantic action - with little or no time for characterization, etc. There's no concession given to the time lapse between the 1st and 2nd films, so it starts out assuming you remember many details of the first episode. The movie is still fun, but take time to watch the first film just before going to see the second - otherwise, you'll just be confused by what's happening so fast on-screen.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Night Watch & Day Watch: Two great Russian fantasy movies. Very dark, very cool, modern era. Also have the coolest subtitles of any movie I've seen, when the vampire is calling the boy the subtitles are red and dissolve like blood etc.
    I saw Night Watch and had a hard time staying with it since I found it confusing. On my 3rd attempt to watch it, I inadvertendly turned on the novelist's comments about 1/3 of the way into the film and it explained what was going on in the movie. I then watched the last 1/3 without reading the comments. In the end, I thought it was a very interesting film which questions the common conceptions of good and evil, and how a person can be used as a pawn in a larger scheme without him realizing it. I wish I had watched it without the comments first and then a second time with the comments, but my feeling is the movie is too confusing to grasp all the nuances without the comments. There are a few things in the movie that the novelist points out are inconsistent with his concept of an "other". He said the movie focused in and explored certain characters whereas the novel dealt more with the overall forces that were in opposition, but he liked the movie very much.

i just saw oldboy a movie about veangeance. it starts out with a man being abducted and imprisoned in a room. he doesn't know by whom or why. it lasts 15 years. and then things really start getting twisted.
    indeed

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nokhor
    i just saw oldboy a movie about veangeance. it starts out with a man being abducted and imprisoned in a room. he doesn't know by whom or why. it lasts 15 years. and then things really start getting twisted.
    That's a fun one

Not a movie, but I bought the second season of Lost. Great television, and I just love this chick,

Nobody, and I mean nobody looks cooler when holding a gun

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Fragony, I hope you haven't bought the second season only because of her.
    You're in for a surprise.
    It's a brilliant TV-series, I can hardly wait for the next season.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Page 10 of 114 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast