Page 100 of 114 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Pacific Rim

I actually really enjoyed it, which took me by surprise, as I wasnt expecting it to be good. Yeah, some pretty big plot spoilers like the whole sword thing (that actually got me angry, but oh well), but other than that, I liked it, mainly because Im a sucker for giant robots smashing things.

Also the soundtrack was pretty great.
    +1

I loved it...

"mechwarrior meets godzilla" - in a good way. One of the most entertaining films I've seen in a long while and the acting was ok (but anyone who expected a deep plot and in depth character development from what is essentially "big robots fighting monsters" will always be disappointed), though del Toro, rarely disappoints (unless of course one doesn't like del Toro and his films).

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asai View Post
    +1

I loved it...

"mechwarrior meets godzilla" - in a good way. One of the most entertaining films I've seen in a long while and the acting was ok (but anyone who expected a deep plot and in depth character development from what is essentially "big robots fighting monsters" will always be disappointed), though del Toro, rarely disappoints (unless of course one doesn't like del Toro and his films).
    Yup, and really, as long as a movie is entertaining to watch, it passes my test, and I think thats really all you can ask of a movie: for it to be entertaining. Added bonuses are its plot or other aspects that can make it great, but just like the Transformer movies, while their plot and dialogue was lacking, it was damn entertaining.

Though I thought Pacific Rim was less cheesy.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Pacific Rim was pretty alright. It had Glados in it, so I am a little partial. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Baby was up super-early, and I wanted to let Mrs. Lemur sleep in, so I watched a weird Swedish film through the haze of early a.m. baby fatigue.

Pretty good film, actually. Starts out pretending to be some sort of lesbian-coming-of-age flick, but rapidly moves into teen-power-struggle territory.

Very good depiction of just how awkward and weird it is to be young and thinking about sex.

Holy hell, The Jackal​ was a terrible movie.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Edit: failing. I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    This describes my recent experience with The Watch better than I can.

Love and Other Drugs otoh, is a good show. at least 7/10 good.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Kick Ass 2

Just a really solid movie overall, really loved it. This summer has been a great summer for movies, first Pacific Rim, now this.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Based on Fragony's good review I had Netflix deliver Waltzing with Bashir. Twas a fine production. Mentally provocative. Would recommend. Just be prepared for the real world, no comedy or romance here.

I must be broken. I can't get the youthful exuberance for sci-fi anything anymore. Elysium demonstrated good direction and actor ability. I just never really got into it. It was far from Avatar quality. It was good. If you really liked Prometheus I think you'll enjoy this one.

(Reflecting on it I couldn't help but think some of the backroom folks believe this scenario is what we are currently headed for, if not already 3/4 of the way there.)
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Member thankful for this post:

Elysium was a good movie. Action was not over the top. The sci-fi aspect was interesting and I felt like Matt Damon's character was actually the least interesting of them all. That's not a diss on Damon, I felt that his supporting cast performed very well.

Just like District 9, the movie is pure social commentary on the present day, there is a reason why it focuses primarily in LA.

Felt kinda cheated by District 9. First half was really good but it isn't going anywhere after the first half, it turns into a stupid action movie. I like stupid action movies, but I don't like pretentious stupid action movies. I watched it till the end but kinda got bored.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Yeah but we got to see two hot guys make out.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Kick Ass 2

Just a really solid movie overall, really loved it. This summer has been a great summer for movies, first Pacific Rim, now this.
    What did you like about it?

I thought it had it's moments, but overall I found it pretty bland. I was bored a lot, and found none of the supporting characters interesting. I loved the first Kick-ass, but the vibe that made that movie so magical was lost in this film.

I did like the comic book subtitles though.
    I like to stream

If the action-scenes are as good as in the first one I am absolutily going to get anyway. Loved the first, Hitgirl has to be thebmost awesome superhero ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonska View Post
    What did you like about it?

I thought it had it's moments, but overall I found it pretty bland. I was bored a lot, and found none of the supporting characters interesting. I loved the first Kick-ass, but the vibe that made that movie so magical was lost in this film.

I did like the comic book subtitles though.
    Like in Pacific Rim, I didnt go into it expecting a serious movie. I went with a good friend and her and I laughed and joked during the movie, making it much more enjoyable. Ill assume if you saw it alone or with someone you hated it would be a bit different I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    If the action-scenes are as good as in the first one I am absolutily going to get anyway. Loved the first, Hitgirl has to be thebmost awesome superhero ever.
    I personally think that Hitgirls scenes are the best in the movie.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Hell yes. Fantastic stuff I loved it.

Off the Map, perfect sunday movie. It's incredibly easy to move me when I am at my weakest, but it's a really good movie, an ode to good people.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

A girl Im close to pressured me into watching it, and I must say, it was a refreshingly new (or at least to me it was) take on the whole "teen coming of age saga" genre.

Though it kind of annoyed me that they never actually went into the perks of being a wallflower. But I suppose that was the point of the movie.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I got to see "The World's End" on Friday night. Overall I thought it was excellent. Perhaps not as strong as the trio's Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, but if those are A's this is like an A -. I feel like I need more viewings before I try to rank them.

If you're a fan of their other movies, I would say this is a must go. The writing is incredibly witty, and Nick Frost's character arc is fun to watch unfold on screen. This movie will have you engaged and laughing your socks off. The only thing that got to me was the movie can feel quite "rushed" at times. Not in a... poor writing to get from a - b sort of rushed, but so much is going on at once you get a little lost.
    I like to stream

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

A girl Im close to pressured me into watching it, and I must say, it was a refreshingly new (or at least to me it was) take on the whole "teen coming of age saga" genre.

Though it kind of annoyed me that they never actually went into the perks of being a wallflower. But I suppose that was the point of the movie.
    One of the few movies that made me cry.

The Master - so much potential: great acting, good direction, interesting premise. "what? that's it? nothing happens? no moral? no point? nothing?" potential < finished script
    John Dewey

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    The Master - so much potential: great acting, good direction, interesting premise. "what? that's it? nothing happens? no moral? no point? nothing?" potential < finished script
    Yeah, I kinda hated it. It seemed like it could be a major epic. Instead it was just a story of bromance gone wrong.

8 Femmes, awesome. Best song imho http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzbM-Y5yAk

French is so sexy

Dredd (2012)

I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was. I was expecting a B-side action flick but it turned out to be great.

Basically the same plot as The Raid: Redemption, but in a different style. If I had to pick a two action movies to show in the same block of time Id show these two side by side.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Vuk 

Yeah, I thought Dredd was boss. I liked it a lot more than Sly's Judge Dredd. I guess I usually like anything with Karl Urban though. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Dredd (2012)
    Instead of trying to make an epic out of it, they went with a tight story line and didn't dumb it down for the non 2000 AD fans. Entertaining flick, pretty well done, and it's got Cersie in it.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Sessions - well that was, uh, different. It was also, er, interesting. mmhmmm. 6/10 for production quality. Not your run of the mill Hollywood subject matter as guys shows go. Also not the knight in shining armor leading man the chicks want. A chick flick for guys?
    John Dewey

One of the few movies that made me cry.
    How? I understand it is a bit sad (I watched the movie a while ago and read the book, movie is pretty solid), but not heartbreaking. Then again, I don't cry from movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    How? I understand it is a bit sad (I watched the movie a while ago and read the book, movie is pretty solid), but not heartbreaking. Then again, I don't cry from movies.
    I'm a very emotional person. If you ever get to know me, you will see how hard I try and fail to cover that fact up both online and in RL.

On another note, I actually saw Expendables 2. Very bad movie overall. Just as I thought, the action was few and far between compared to the first, which makes no sense since the first movie had too much plot already.

Not enough Arnold. Not enough Norris. Not enough Willis. They spent the death on young Mr. Nobody. For a series that likes to play with the fact that they are all fossils, they need to start removing that wall of plot invincibility they have for every major character. I don't know how many they plan on making, but the third one better have a major death in it to symbolize the fact that they are all passing from the spotlight with every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Then again, I don't cry from movies.
    Some people are just are just pussy's. I know that because I am one of them. Extreme violence in movies, or even real violence like these decapitation video's don't bother me at all, but I cried watching Finding Nemo ffs.

Page 100 of 114 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast