Page 103 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

How did you make it work to not have seen Platoon. Yeah, great movie. Berenger and Dafoe are great as total opposites. Berenger plays a terrifying character. I wouldn't survive there I am not made for that.

The Hobbit 2 and many other words. Cheezus, Hollywood, chill out with the epic naming attempts, k? Good movie, not really necessary to bother with the 3D gimmick. The wizard additions were welcome and interesting, the Legolas additions not so much. *Elf.

*Be sure to read the word Elf here with a little reek to it.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Two more movies last night, on the 20th I am going to decide whether or not to just scrap the extra movies because I still have over 20 movies and only 17(ish) days left in my break.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. The Avengers (extra)
    2. Jarhead
    3. End of Watch
    4. The Pianist
    5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    6. Roman Holiday
    7. The Hunt for Red October
    8. The Untouchables
    9. Platoon
    10. Jet Li's Fearless (extra)
    11. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    12. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
    13. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (extra)
    14. Safe
    15. Downfall
    16. Ip Man 2
    17. Cinema Paradiso (extra)
    18. Charade
    19. The Man from Nowhere
    20. 13 Assassins
    21. The African Queen
    22. The Way (extra)
    23. Batman: Year One
    24. Double Indemnity
    25. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    26. Fresh
    27. Witness for the Prosecution
    28. Memorial Day
    29. Imitation of Life
    30. Trading Places (extra)
    31. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    32. The Worlds Fastest Indian (extra)
    33. The Red Violin
    34. Safety Not Guaranteed (extra)
    35. Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
    36. True Grit (1969)
    37. Europa Report (extra)

Batman: Year One is best described how Crazed Rabbit called it, "Gordon: Year One". Not that I minded, because you have Bryan Cranston as the voice of Commissioner Gordon. The movie is a lot darker and includes multiple with PG-13 sexual scenes and swearing, which may seem off putting for someone expecting an animated Batman movie, but the story line is inspired from the Frank Miller comic book story arc, so there is really no getting around his type of writing. It's a very interesting story though that does a good job of tempting you to watch a sequel which never comes by introducing the origin of a few villains and ally's we all know and love. Out of the two Batman animated films I have watched, I would actually say that Year One is my favorite of the two, if only because of the more adult tones which I thought were pulled off well without giving me that excessive Frank Miller feel.

Dr. Seuss's The Lorax is essentially a kids movie, but it is a fun kids movie. Famous people come in to lend their voices such as Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Danny de Vito, Rob Riggle and Betty White. Unfortunately, the rhyming is minimal which is somewhat understandable since a 45 page book can't support a 90 minute movie. Instead there are musical numbers interspersed throughout the movie which hold up very well thanks to the talent of Taylor Swift and Zac Efron. The message of the book is still there and not overdone and if I had to take young kids to see this movie, I at least would not be bored out of my mind watching it with them (I shudder at how my poor mom had to watch Pokemon: The First Movie with my brother and I at the theater.)

Another movie down, I am getting worn down at this point. I know I won't be able to watch the extras, but I dont care, I wasn't really that interested in them anyway. One more movie on wednesday and then I think I will take a two day break and come back on saturday. No point in watching movies if I am too tired to appreciate them.

1. The Avengers (extra)
    2. Jarhead
    3. End of Watch
    4. The Pianist
    5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    6. Roman Holiday
    7. The Hunt for Red October
    8. The Untouchables
    9. Platoon
    10. Jet Li's Fearless (extra)
    11. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    12. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
    13. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (extra)
    14. Safe
    15. Downfall
    16. Ip Man 2
    17. Cinema Paradiso (extra)
    18. Charade
    19. The Man from Nowhere
    20. 13 Assassins
    21. The African Queen
    22. The Way (extra)
    23. Batman: Year One
    24. Double Indemnity
    25. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    26. Fresh
    27. Witness for the Prosecution
    28. Memorial Day
    29. Imitation of Life
    30. Trading Places (extra)
    31. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    32. The Worlds Fastest Indian (extra)
    33. The Red Violin
    34. Safety Not Guaranteed (extra)
    35. Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
    36. True Grit (1969)
    37. Europa Report (extra)

The Hunt for Red October was a pretty good thriller movie. Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery was a good duo to cast although it is a bit unbelievable to take Sean Connery's character seriously with his Scottish accent. The plot had a good twist, had me on edge on who the saboteur was on the sub. Some of the matters at the end seemed a bit silly or waved off leading me to believe that either the screenwriter or Tom Clancy had a hard time preventing WW3 while trying to ride the line throughout the whole movie. Also although I am not familiar with naval rules of engagement, I am pretty sure that the movie depicted captains as having a shit ton of discretion on whether or not to follow orders, and I had a hard time believing the American captain going "Oh you have a hunch, lets go with that then." about 3 times I counted throughout the film. Nevertheless though, I had a fun time watching it. I feel like it still holds up as a good movie some 20 years later.

Member thankful for this post:

Love the music.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Anchorman 2

I really liked this movie, I laughed a ton and that to me makes for a winning comedy movie. There were a couple of parts that were more eye-rolling than funny, but the last 30 minutes might be one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen in a movie.

The movie also sent a great message about the role of media in society.

9/10
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Lemur 

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Battle Royale

A beautiful combination of violence, gore, youthful alienation and love. As deeply affecting as it was satisfying. Would recommend.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Lemur 

Seconded, it's awesome. That girl who starts liking killing is SCARY

So for the holidays I decided to spend some family time watching some Disney movies, notably Tangled and Frozen.

Both were fantastic movies, I really enjoyed it. Before I didnt really care for the new Disney animation but now I really like it. I thought it would just be sappy kids movies but nope I enjoyed it. Laugh all you want, they were awesome. Highly recommend!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So for the holidays I decided to spend some family time watching some Disney movies, notably Tangled and Frozen.

Both were fantastic movies, I really enjoyed it. Before I didnt really care for the new Disney animation but now I really like it. I thought it would just be sappy kids movies but nope I enjoyed it. Laugh all you want, they were awesome. Highly recommend!
    All Disney movies are awesome nowadays. They absolutily perfected the formula. Fun movies with a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Both are great movies. After watching Tangled I wondered how good a frying pan unit would be in a TW game.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    After watching Tangled I wondered how good a frying pan unit would be in a TW game.
    Frying pans, who knew?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

lol, have not updated my list in a while. Basically I gave up watching all of them. I decided I didn't really want to watch most of them. But there are a few that I will watch later on. The last ones I did on the list were End of Watch and I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

For End of Watch I honestly thought it was one of the best cop movies I ever saw. So intense and the acting was great. The camera style for some reason switches oddly from "handheld" to a more professional thing but I didnt mind. I just enjoyed the dialogue because it seemed so real.

Butch Cassidy was an interesting movie, kind of. It sort of rambled on and the plot changed randomly half way through which left no real satisfying conclusion for either story arch, because none of them felt fulfilled. The dialogue kind of got cheesier as it went along as well, because I really enjoyed the banter for the first hour and a half. Some of the older members in here are going to have to tell me how this movie became as popular as it did. The scene with the "Raindrops" song was so oddly out of place, but I heard that the movie made that song really popular. Just dont really get it.

Tonight I am watching Oceans Eleven​ again, for the third time. Because damn it I love a good heist movie.

Simon, a really good Dutch movie, that will make some sense out of what you probably percieve as lunacy. Half of the dialogue can't really be translated but it it's still a really good movie if you miss most of it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNnEWwXGE_s
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-29-2013 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    These were not on the list, but a friend invited me to watch The Hobbit at his place and then we immediately saw Desolation of Smaug in theaters, essentially amounting to 6 hours of Hobbitness today.

For part one, I was really happy with how well they kept to the story line, and I felt like the actors were good choices for their chosen roles. The problem I had was the one I was most afraid of which was that they were either not going to spend enough time on the ancillary dwarves to make certain portions of the book impactful or they were going to cut good portions of the book out. As it turns out over the course of part 2, they began to cut out big portions of the book which were some of my favorite scenes. The scene with the eagles is included in part 1 and (avoiding spoilers) it did match up with what I imagined when I read the book myself about 2 months ago.

The real problem I had was the rapid deviation from the book in part 2, the one which just came out. I do not have a problem with cutting corners and leaving only the essentials, but much of what they changed was simply unnecessary and detracted from the characters of the book and even worse, ruined the atmosphere of the biggest points of the book. Being a children's book, there is no love interest angle in The Hobbit, but because this is a big budget Hollywood film, they just had to shove one in there, where it did not belong, as well as bringing back characters from LOTR who were not present at all in The Hobbit.

The pacing due to the many alterations is now very off in my opinion, the fight I expected to see at the end of part 2 was now put off until the beginning of part 3 because they added a 20 minute fight scene which never occurred in the book. Now granted, they way it plays out in the book, would be very boring if it was portrayed on film (hint, there is lots of hiding and talking and waiting and talking), but I do think the route taken set the movie back in other ways simply to fulfill a big ending fight featuring the main characters.

I don;t want to make it seem like either of these movies are bad, if you have not read the book, you will not know what was added unless you remember what I have been saying while you watch it haha. I was just disappointed because I felt that The Hobbit could have been done more faithfully than the LOTR trilogy because it is not as long as the trilogy and instead found Hollywood shoving its tropes very hard into an otherwise perfect story. Desolation of Smaug still deserves your money however, and I encourage everyone to watch it, if only for the songs and soundtrack that accompanies every Hobbit/LOTR movie.
    Saw it yesterday. I agree with your assessment. The movie really veered away from the book in this second installment and the action sequences were absurdly unrealistic. On a positive note, Smaug was magnificent. It is a shame they mishandled his encounter with Bilbo. On the whole, I am so disappointed
    This space intentionally left blank

Penoza, has to be the best Dutch series ever. A normal mom gets slowly sucked in into the drugs-trade just to survive, which is obviously a pretty damn brutal line of work. I don't know if there is an english version. Watch it if you can find it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-02-2014 at 14:28.

Watching The Bridge, awesome Danish/Swedish crime-series. Vikings certainly are good at making these, a LOT of good movies and series are made in scandinavia for sure.

Hobbit - Smaug goes for a Picnic. Excellent. If you like Peter Jackson's version of JRR Tolkien, then this is it at its best. Keep an eye out for Colbert too!

(I do agree with ACIN's and the Lurker Below's assessment, additions like Legolas were completely unnecessary, and quite simply and obviously a "bums on seats" star attraction move).
    Last edited by naut; 01-14-2014 at 04:44.
    #Hillary4prism

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I have been watching so many films from France and Mexico and Sweden and it is just shocking at how horrible American cinema has become
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Has anyone else seen Her? It just came out here and I went to see it yesterday. It was one of the more interesting films I've seen in some time. A man comes out of a long term relationship and then starts to fall in love with a new AI operating system. The movie follows their relationship and raises a lot of thought provoking questions. The writing is fantastic and Joaquim Phoenix shows off all his skills.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Csargo 

Sleepy Hollow is a TV series - bear with this intrusion.

Highly derivative, but it's fun and simple popcorn-entertainment nonetheless.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Csargo 

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Has anyone else seen Her? It just came out here and I went to see it yesterday. It was one of the more interesting films I've seen in some time. A man comes out of a long term relationship and then starts to fall in love with a new AI operating system. The movie follows their relationship and raises a lot of thought provoking questions. The writing is fantastic and Joaquim Phoenix shows off all his skills.
    Watched it 2 days ago. It had it's moments, and in parts very touching. Thoroughly well acted. I particularly liked the set design, the world felt futuristic, but familiarly so, perhaps sleek-retro-hipster? I don't really know how I felt about it's almost Arthur C. Clarke Childhood's End ending though... The parts preceding it raised interesting questions, but it itself felt out of place, or at minimum an odd development.

And the Alan Watts bit was a complete misunderstanding of everything that Watts was and meant.
    Last edited by naut; 01-27-2014 at 18:05.
    #Hillary4prism

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I have been watching so many films from France and Mexico and Sweden and it is just shocking at how horrible American cinema has become
    These vikings know their trade, there is an absolute wealth of awesome viking crime-series. Tip: Adam's Apples. Hilarious Danish black comedy. It's about a neo-nazi making an apple-pie. Yes.

The Bridge Season 2 here I come. Very cool series. Main character is awesome, a female Swedish Sherlock Holmes, incredibly smart and a total sociopath.

More Penoza, awesome series. I can't believe this hasn't been sold internationally, it's pretty brilliant. TENSE. Right up there with the scandinavian offerings.

So Ive seen Frozen multiple times now, I think Im up to 4, maybe 5? Ive lost track. Its still phenomenal. No regrets, just go see it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I really like Frozen too. The songs are great. Thinking of watching it again when it's out on DVD.

Done with season two of Penoza, best series ever. Incredibly tense. Should it go outside Dutchland, get it. You won't regret it.

I saw Moonrise Kingdom the latest Wes Anderson movie. I actually didn't really "get" the big deal about his earlier movies, but starting with The Life Aquatic, I have been really enjoying them. This one was probably my favorite actually. I would recommend it even if you are not a particularly big Wes Anderson fan.

Csargo 

That movie was too much of a muddle, IMO. The female lead was good-looking, though.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Page 103 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast