Page 106 of 114 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Interiors, GOOD. Very good. Nothing ever really happens but it gets under your skin regardless. Watched it twice by now, that's better because you should want to to let it sink in. Absolutily nothing happens, keep it in mind, not a beer/smoke/cocaine with your idiotic friends-movie. Really recommended.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

21 Jump Street. Light-hearted fun. Most thankfully no cringe-worthy moments that are usually a key trope of the genre.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Constant Garderner, seen it before, good movie. The real motivation is looking at Rachel Weisch, she is so incredibly pretty. Natural beauty, needs no warpaint

The Grand Budapest Hotel. Energetic and entertaining, especially close to the end, though not as good as some reviews made it out to be. The storytelling is in some ways reminiscent of films in the early part of last century. I enjoyed it.

Member thankful for this post:

naut 

X Men Days of the Future Past
    I might be in the minority, but I really liked the First two X Men films. They could've been done better sure, but then I still liked them. The third one had good action, but man the story was bad. They basically wrote themselves into a corner, killing off so many characters.
    Then came Wolverine Origins. Again I liked the movie despite the fact that they totally ruined Deadpool, who's an awesome character in his own right.
    X Men First Class was good, but mainly because of strong acting by Fassbender and McAvoy. The latest Wolverine flick, I don't even remember the name of. I rented it and ended up returning it unwatched.
    Then along comes Days of the Future Past. I stayed away from the trailers and promotions so as not to spoil the story. The movie theater over here is currently holding a special offer. Three tickets for the price of one. When I reached there with friends, we found out that the offer did not apply to this film, so we ended up paying thrice the amount we had planned but it was totally worth it. The whole franchise seemed to be in decline, but this film has saved it. It neatly ties up nearly all the loose ends and the movie ends with something like a clean slate to start with a new story arc.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Apocalypse is coming. The post credits scene gave me chills.

There are some inconsistencies, sure. But for the most part by the end everything falls into place in a picture perfect happy ending. Everything is fine and
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The dead characters are alive again

Great movie, that served the dual purpose of being entertaining as well as salvaging the series.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

12 Years a Slave. Top, top, top quality.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Zatoichi. Samurais! geishas! Many bloody fights! Also a lot of humour and beautiful shots.

Identity Thief - moderately amusing. Disclaimer: I am not a Melissa McCarthy fan in the least. Sub somebody I like in for her and then maybe I can give it 3 out of 5 instead of 1.5 of 5.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Star Trek - Into the Darkness - Good story for Khan. Redundant poo for Kirk and Spock. Lots of entertaining action, but required too many critical success dice rolls for the heroes. That gets old. If I were GM either Kirk or Scotty would have had an auto fail somewhere in there.

disclaimer - I have been eating too much chocolate lately and everything else seems a bit bland these days
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually liked it, it wasn't that bad. If you can watch the film and be entertained the one, even mindlessly, it gets the 'pass' mark.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Loved it. Awesome spectacle. All the actors are fantastic, they are better at being their character than the actual actors from the series. Also liked how they reversed some scenes from The Wrath of Kahn and The Search for Spock.

Dredd: Great movie. Thoroughly enjoyed the 90 minutes of pure fun.

Watch it.

Seconded. Rediculously violent fun.

Finding Eric, wait, a positive movie about lower-class Brittain? Also an oath to the beauty of football. Extra awesome because Contona has a role in it as the (imaginened) shrink of the main character, he is really good as an actor, he's a gentleman. Of course there is tragedy as English movies are never not depressing but there is a ray of light here.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-10-2014 at 08:24.

Raptor, fun B-movie with horrible effect. Loved it.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - have anticipated seeing this for a long time, really intrigued by the previews last year. I appreciate that it had fantastic actors playing their part in a realistic story. However for a kid brought up on extreme action Hollywood drivel, this just didn't bring enough juice to keep me awake. I mean, I saw Jedi using light sabers at the bushy-tailed age of nine. This was more mundane than a chick flick, without cute chicks. Two out of Five.
    John Dewey

Peach Trees, this is mama

No my mama, watched Dred with my mom, she loved it. Told her it is kinda violent, heh

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Enjoyed it a lot. Meant to be watched with your girl.
    John Dewey

About Smith, great. Jack Nickolson plays a role you wouldn't expect, it's arguably his best performance ever. It's hard not to be Jack Nickolson because of total awesomness and he's a different person here.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-15-2014 at 18:13.

Still Life. Good movie but too quiet. I was waiting and waiting for it to take off and it did eventually but for such a short time.

Good movie though, I just don't understand Asian sensibilities. But it's beautiful.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The Raid 2

I think it does its predecessor justice. An overall better story line (though some people I got confused so I think it merits a second viewing), and the action scenes are just as good as the ones from before. Extremely entertaining with so many "oh " moments that I think it will be almost as memorable as its predecessor.

Highly recommend!

And if you havent seen the first one, The Raid: Redemption, and you like action movies, do yourself a favor and watch it. By far one of the best action movies I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 08-03-2014 at 08:15.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Attack the Block

Decent movie. Terrible protagonists. At the halfway mark I was rooting for the aliens to finish off everyone one of those wannabe gang members who think it is OK to mug women using a knife as long as they don't live in the same block.
    How ever did the writers think someone could feel sympathetic to a protagonist whom you see mugging a hardworking woman in the first scene. And the only explanation given in the movie is because they are troubled teenagers.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Of course there is tragedy as English movies are never not depressing but there is a ray of light here.
    Did bend it like Beckham drove you to tears as well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Attack the Block

Decent movie. Terrible protagonists. At the halfway mark I was rooting for the aliens to finish off everyone one of those wannabe gang members who think it is OK to mug women using a knife as long as they don't live in the same block.
    How ever did the writers think someone could feel sympathetic to a protagonist whom you see mugging a hardworking woman in the first scene. And the only explanation given in the movie is because they are troubled teenagers.
    I am guessing it is trying to sympathise with that audience from that sort of background. Not watched the movie but from your description, it is playing to some stereotypes that these teenagers are unloved and cared for, failed by the state and school systems, and mug grannies for cash.

I'll give it a watch from a British standpoint for you, as it is apparently an English movie.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Well, I have to say, I don't even know how you even watched this movie, @rajpoot. I am so tempted to turn it off, and only like 20 minutes in.

Basically, it is a bunch of Chavs being portrayed in a somewhat 'comedy' film during an alien invasion. I don't think you are meant to even be sympathetic to the protagonist and just 'laugh' at how juvenile and imbecile they are. The target audience would actually most likely be the people who they are making caricatures of.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-10-2014 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Well, I have to say, I don't even know how you even watched this movie, @rajpoot. I am so tempted to turn it off, and only like 20 minutes in.

Basically, it is a bunch of Chavs being portrayed in a somewhat 'comedy' film during an alien invasion. I don't think you are meant to even be sympathetic to the protagonist and just 'laugh' at how juvenile and imbecile they are. If you are watching this expecting a proper film experience as you suggested, you would be sorely disappointed and its target audience would actually be the people who they are making caricatures of.
    I suspected that. Showing the cops in a bad light and glorifying the gang members.
    BTW what's 'Chavs'?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    I suspected that. Showing the cops in a bad light and glorifying the gang members.
    BTW what's 'Chavs'?
    Basically, it is teenagers who come from economically deprived urban areas who take their influences from gang-culture and rap music, committing petty crimes, sometimes leading into more serious things such as gang-warfare, stabbings, drugs and other criminal enterprises.

They pretty much talk and act like in the movie.

So yes, a caricature comedy.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-10-2014 at 20:26.

Ah OK.
    I watched this movie for the female lead actually. Liked her 'kookiness' in Perrier's Bounty (which is an awesome movie) so decided to try this out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Winter's Tale was amazingly dumb. Plot holes, weird characters and a horse out of nowhere. But I'm totally glad I watched it.

Page 106 of 114 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast