Inception was the inception of the new sound! Dohhh
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Not surprised they worked on the same things. The music in Inception is truly fantastic, in Interstellar as well, best scene imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf_XkgE1d0

edit, scene is broken, watch that movie if you haven't
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-30-2017 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    @Gregoshi

Here's an article I came across that may shed light on your feelings toward the score. The article isn't about Dunkirk, but it does take on "the new Hollywood sound" and how the pairing of Chris Nolan and Hans Zimmer have helped develop it...
    Thanks for the article, Montmorency. I'll read it in depth when I have a moment (I'm on holiday this week). As for your summary of the article, perhaps I'm not the normal listener*, so the "nerve wracking" score of Dunkirk took my focus off what was happening on the screen and had me wishing the noise assaulting my ears would just stop. What was happening on the screen, be it a ship rolling over and sinking or just a flower in a field dancing in a gentle breeze, didn't matter. It destroyed my immersion in the movie. Anyway, it works for most movie-goers or the trend would have died, so more power to them.

Thanks again for the article on something near and dear to my heart.

* I absolutely detest random-clashing-notes type crescendos that some bands do in concert (like the end of The Beatles "A Day in the Life") yet most of the audience always applaud these things. Ugh.
    This space intentionally left blank

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I saw Dunkirk.

And one week after, it's still stuck in my mind. The cinematography was spectacular and while I say that it did not need a story, it would have been nice to have one. Nevertheless, I loved the scenes, the Spitfire dogfights, the reality of it all. Beautiful.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Number one on wishlist. Dunkerk was a horrible thing, read some books about it I would love to see a proper movie about it when properly done. Knowing who made it makes me pretty sure I won't be dissapointed
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-09-2017 at 18:52.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Go see it, it's fantastic.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I saw Bright on Netflix. I actually enjoyed it. Kinda had a Training Day vibe to it. Its a solid gritty action film, just wish they went more into the background and how there came to be Orcs/Elves/Humans living side by side, especially since they reference events from long ago.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I watched Sleepless yesterday and it was dumber than expected. The second part became completely stupid, Too Hard to Die 3 levels of plausibility.
    On the other hand, I enjoyed The Wall. Rather interesting film and I appreciated the fact that there was no happy end, something very rare for a Hollywood movie involving American soldiers.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

While far from flawless, on the whole I enjoyed Episode 8. Many other Star Wars junkies of my acquaintance did not.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I saw Bright on Netflix. I actually enjoyed it. Kinda had a Training Day vibe to it. Its a solid gritty action film, just wish they went more into the background and how there came to be Orcs/Elves/Humans living side by side, especially since they reference events from long ago.
    I agree, I wish there was more backstory to it.

I was initially interested as a fan of the shadowrun series, so I was kind of expecting something like that, which wasn't really delivered upon. It seemed that elves were above the rest in society, humans were 'okay' and orcs at the bottom.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-27-2017 at 05:41.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    While far from flawless, on the whole I enjoyed Episode 8. Many other Star Wars junkies of my acquaintance did not.
    It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it was just so pointless. At least with Force Awakens there was an expectation that it was setting up something interesting. Last Jedi feels like yet another setup movie, but now what?

Red Letter Media matches my feelings (n.b. I didn't watch the review before the movie):

They have made the point many times that there just isn't enough material in the Star Wars movies to stretch beyond the Original Trilogy - without drawing upon the Extended Universe. It's like trying for an epic franchise out of The Hobbit.

I would go further and point out that the EU books and games have always been the most worthwhile element of Star Wars. Indeed, EU books and games are what got me into the movies into the first place.
    Vitiate Man.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it was just so pointless. At least with Force Awakens there was an expectation that it was setting up something interesting. Last Jedi feels like yet another setup movie, but now what?

Red Letter Media matches my feelings (n.b. I didn't watch the review before the movie):

They have made the point many times that there just isn't enough material in the Star Wars movies to stretch beyond the Original Trilogy - without drawing upon the Extended Universe. It's like trying for an epic franchise out of The Hobbit.

I would go further and point out that the EU books and games have always been the most worthwhile element of Star Wars. Indeed, EU books and games are what got me into the movies into the first place.
    I think it is pretty clear from 8 that 9 will not be the end of the series. With Fisher's death, there is -- effectively -- a complete reboot with all the human players from the Lucas era gone.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Games yeah, the Knights of the republic are better at doing it than any of the new movies, not that they are bad but meh. The first has a really good twist that I didn't see comming

The Dictator, loved it. This isn't for everyone but I love this type of stupid humor

Didn't see Bright, enjoyed seeing it get torn apart.

https://soundcloud.com/mastaartisan/...e-theme-parody
    Last edited by Montmorency; 02-05-2018 at 04:18.
    Vitiate Man.

Didn't see Bright, enjoyed seeing it get torn apart.

https://soundcloud.com/mastaartisan/...e-theme-parody
    All very valid points. I agree that it shouldn't get awards or anything but I still enjoyed it despite it's obvious flaws.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Not a movie but a show on Netflix:

Altered Carbon.

Holy did I enjoy this show. Some parts of it are kinda shaky but I found it a fascinating show which gripped me from the first episode to the last. Definitely worth the watch!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Not a movie but a show on Netflix:

Altered Carbon.

Holy did I enjoy this show. Some parts of it are kinda shaky but I found it a fascinating show which gripped me from the first episode to the last. Definitely worth the watch!
    Tried it but it wants to be too clever for it's own good, it only annoyed me really

Best series on Netflix right now is godless, adore this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RBDGRqUFg

DayZ, pretty good actually. I've kinda had it with the zombie-theme but the scope here is pretty big, some very impressive scenes, a big budget goes a long way

Sinister, best horror movie I have seeen in a while. It's sinister. The opening scene is really disturbing handle with care, yikes

Kill List, on Netflix, no major turns you do not see comming but it is still better to not say anything and allow you to just enjoy it

Syfy just dropped The Expanse mid-season 3! Shit, that's like the only TV show I want to watch.

Is this what Firefly fans felt?
    Vitiate Man.

Talk about "La La Land"

'La La Land' is a decent motion picture, the cinematography is stunning, the music is exceptional, and maybe above all, it's a unique film. Also, creativity has not been the standard in Hollywood lately.

'La La Land' isn't an uncommon film, it just has that status in light of most of the crowd that saw it took the 'idealism' the motion picture offered and transformed it into something different, something the motion picture is simply not sufficient to satisfy.

Sinister two, not good. I love hating the first I don't think a movie ever shocked me that much. As for Sinister 2, the killing with rats was actually done in medieval times, creativity isn't always a good thing, who comes up with that except for Brett Easton Ellis

Not a movie, a series 'Black Crows', cool Arabic series about life in the islamic state. It's quite good, really worth watching, some want out, some feel like belonging there, it is pretty multilayered. It's soft of showing cruelties but doesn't hold back on letting you they happen, it is mostly about the women and children and the leadership, not the warriors

Syfy just dropped The Expanse mid-season 3! Shit, that's like the only TV show I want to watch.

Nah, more like what Arrested Development fans felt like in 2006.

Firefly at least got the Serenity movie to wrap things up, never understood why it was killed

Insidious is great, I love a good horror movie. Scares the crap out of you

Just checked, it hasn't been dropped, season 3 justisn released yet. Good series by the way, very believable sci-fi-world

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just checked, it hasn't been dropped, season 3 justisn released yet. Good series by the way, very believable sci-fi-world
    Third season is currently airing, it's pretty sweet.

A month ago Syfy announced they were cancelling their contract with the show's producers. A couple of weeks later the series was picked up by Amazon because Jeff Bezos intervened.
    Vitiate Man.

Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114 LastLast