Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Saw Fargo yesterday, finally. Really was good, another Coen brothers film to add to my list of good films. Loved the accent.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    Yesterday evening I watched Hotel Rwanda.

An excellent and very moving film with an outstanding performance of Don Cheadle as the Hutu hotel manager who helped to save >1000 lives during the genocide of Rwanda.

Highly recommended

The movie leaves you with a terrible sense of shame...
    i couldnt agree more

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Saw Fargo yesterday, finally. Really was good, another Coen brothers film to add to my list of good films. Loved the accent.
    Excellent movie - the humour, horror and pathos. "And for what? A little bit of money..."

I saw "King Arthur" the other day. Obviously not a movie to be mentioned in the same post as Fargo, but surprisingly watchable. The whole plot and history were rather silly, but it had some redeeming virtues. The acting was decent - I liked the idealistic Arthur and his down to earth knights - and a lot of the costumes seemed authentic. The blue painted Celts and the Saxons with their shieldwall reminded me of those in Total War games. It made me want to fire up Barbarian Invasion again and play the WRE (using Goth's mod for extra realism). The other night I had to fight an uneven battle in Britain against a very beefy invading Saxon army and the way I could claw victory was surprisingly like that in the climatic battle of the film (shoot them in the back and do hit n runs with Roman heavy cavalry).
    Last edited by econ21; 04-09-2006 at 23:47.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I watched The Beach last night.

I'd have to say, "wow, that's one tripped out movie.", but either way it's still worth seeing...

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    Yesterday evening I watched Hotel Rwanda.

An excellent and very moving film with an outstanding performance of Don Cheadle as the Hutu hotel manager who helped to save >1000 lives during the genocide of Rwanda.

Highly recommended

The movie leaves you with a terrible sense of shame...

One of my all-time favourites. Each time I see it the performance of Ben Kingsley absolutely amazes me
    Personally I thought the movie had the emotional impact of a frozen microwave-meal, couldn't care less about the characters which is an odd thing with movies like this.

We should try and get this stickied

I rescently re-watched Star Wars: Episode III. Wow, what a movie. Graphics were awsome and it finished the story great. I just hope we can get the last three movies out somehow!

Touching The Void (2003) is a true story about mountain climbing told in a very effective combination dramatic reenactment/documentary style. The events, which are legendary in the mountaineering community, happened in 1985 in the Peruvian Andes when two climbers attempted to scale a 21,000 foot peak on a face which had never been successfully scaled before. The events are also an example of a classic moral paradox. This is a very well done, realistic movie which was almost made with Tom Cruise in a typical Hollywood style, but thankfully wasn't. I found this to be great follow-up viewing to The White Hell of Pitz Palu (1929) which was also based on a true story.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Saw Hooligans, a pretty good movie about, well, hooligans. It's pretty brutal in places, and imho, a little over the top, but I enjoyed it quite a bit
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Funniest movie I've seen in such a long time!

I basically don't have TV, but live off Netflix DVD's and what I get from my University Library on DVD - so I see lots of movies and almost no TV.

------------------------
    I've watched this last week and a half the first three installments of the British documentary 7 Up (which was followed by 7 Plus 7, and 21 Up). I'm waiting on 28 Up right now.

It's a documentary that follows 14 children from England from different backgrounds and social classes, and comes back to them every 7 years to see how they've changed or if they are doing what they expected to be doing (started in 1963 I think - they just released 49 Up I think). Very interesting stuff.

------------
    I also watched (sorta) 2046 this week and thought it was a real bore. Zhang Ziyi was quite attractive, as were some of the other ladies, but it was too hard to sympathize with the main character. Didn't feel much for it.

Also saw last week La Dolce Vita - man was that long (3 hours). Very interesting though. But not as good as 8 1/2 (by Fellini also). Then I checked out Nights of Cabiria (by the same) and it held my interest, but I didn't enjoy it as much as either of the other two (Marcello Mastroianni is just too cool in the other two, but he wasn't in Nights of Cabiria).

Finally, I watched A History of Violence. I liked the actors, and they all did excellent jobs with their parts, but I just didn't think the story was interesting. Once the big 'secret' was revealed about halfway in, I really lost interest.

Trying to watch Triumph of the Will right now, but gah... it's pretty boring.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Saw Hooligans, a pretty good movie about, well, hooligans. It's pretty brutal in places, and imho, a little over the top, but I enjoyed it quite a bit
    i saw it to and i really enjoyed it...though the reall end sucked...but the end where the guy died whas quite touching

BUT THE VIOLENCE ROCKED

We do not sow.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I saw the Green Mile now that is a damn good flick 10/10
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wow, I think I just saw the funniest movie in the world! Just finished watching (for the first time) Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I can't believe I haven't seen it until now. It's absolutely halarious.

Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!

Favorite part: Either when the French knights are taunting the English or when Arthur fights the black knight by the bridge, cuts off all his limbs, and still the black knight doesn't stop.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Saw Sling Blade this weekend on DVD. Slow paced at times, but a great flick and good acting by Billy Bob.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Totally irrelevant fact, but I was at school with Leo Gregory, who plays Bovver. Shared a desk in French class, I think...appropriately enough he was a bad lad and always in trouble.
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Mr.Deeds--I liked it. Adam Sandler was good and there was some funny stuff, the girl really dragged the movie down though. Those scenes were physically painful. Not sure I'll watch it again, possibly.

Crash--Amazing movie. Very powerful. "Best picture of the year" is well deserved.

King Kong--I swear, only 10% of this movie actually had dialog and half of that was screams and grunts. The action and drama and horror was well done and all but they could have fleshed out the characters more. Three hours is a bit long for a movie with so little going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Mr.Deeds--I liked it. Adam Sandler was good and there was some funny stuff, the girl really dragged the movie down though. Those scenes were physically painful. Not sure I'll watch it again, possibly.

Crash--Amazing movie. Very powerful. "Best picture of the year" is well deserved.
    King Kong--I swear, only 10% of this movie actually had dialog and half of that was screams and grunts. The action and drama and horror was well done and all but they could have fleshed out the characters more. Three hours is a bit long for a movie with so little going on.
    Oh yes.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Just saw The Usual Suspects

If you haven't seen this movie you most definatly should !

Great story, acting and a great plot twist at the end of the film, makes you smile everytime you see it. And that comes from a man who has seen this movie over 5 times already.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    I saw the Green Mile now that is a damn good flick 10/10
    I agree. I saw that movie a couple years ago. Really good.

I just saw Scary Movie 4. I'm pretty pissed that I wont get that two hours of my life back. The only think stopping me from saying it's the stupidest movie in the movie, is that she is kind of pretty.

0 out of 5

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Wow, I think I just saw the funniest movie in the world! Just finished watching (for the first time) Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I can't believe I haven't seen it until now. It's absolutely halarious.

Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!

Favorite part: Either when the French knights are taunting the English or when Arthur fights the black knight by the bridge, cuts off all his limbs, and still the black knight doesn't stop.

No, you haven't. You still haven't seen Life of Brian.

Just finished watching Jarhead. I have to say, it's a great movie. I've always appreciated what our soldiers do, but I now appreciate them more. For anyone who served on these forums: Thank you. For anyone who lost a best friend. I'm sorry.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Wolf Creek.

The only reason I didn't fall asleep was because that would have kept me from pushing the FF button on the remote.

What a dull, stupid, boring, useless, non-entertaining, splop of a film.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Just finished watching Jarhead. I have to say, it's a great movie. I've always appreciated what our soldiers do, but I now appreciate them more. For anyone who served on these forums: Thank you. For anyone who lost a best friend. I'm sorry
    That movie sucked. If you think that reflects reality you have another thing coming. Its mostly an anti war movie. Way to much politics in it. As an ex Marine I really dispise it.

I just watched Tristan and Isodel. A great flick. Though I dont no how much it reflects the real legend. It has really neat castles. Some good fighting scenes and lots of romance for the women.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    That movie sucked. If you think that reflects reality you have another thing coming. Its mostly an anti war movie. Way to much politics in it. As an ex Marine I really dispise it.
    Hmm. Well, I still like it. I disagree with you on the anti-war and that it has too much politics. I wasn't in the military, so the other stuff, I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Alexanderofmacedon; 04-30-2006 at 15:16.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I saw a Bridge Too Far again the other day. It reinforced my recollection that it was the best war movie ever made, at least from the point of view of historical accuracy. Pretty much every scene in it was authentic, but without being stilted in the way that some other historical movies are (e.g. Waterloo). My personal favourite is probably the vignette with James Caan's sergeant taking the body of his captain and forcing an army surgeon to look at it. After finding the captain is not dead and saving him, the surgeon forgives Caan but as they part, says: "Sergeant, you would not really have killed me, would you?" Caan just salutes. I remembering reading the sergeant's words after the event - he said things were pretty messed up back then and he did not rightly know what he'd have done.

The other thing that struck me about the film was the sense of honour in all the characters (even the Germans). They all seemed brave and determined, but motivated by duty not hatred. I guess it's old fashioned and presumably not always true, but the film depicted a nobility of spirit among the combatants, contrary to the psychos, cowards and generally uninspiring soldiers we see depicted in most modern war movies. If war was not really like that, it is at least how we would like it to be.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I might watch that. It'll be a welcome change after seeing all the movies where the Germans are ruthless ******** compared to the noble Allied armies.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

For those that speak dutch, go watch 'Simon'. It is still a good movie if you don't, but it would be like watching Amelie without knowing french; you just wouldn't understand more then half of the jokes. A laugh and a tear, awesome movie with extremily sharp dialogues and great characters.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    I saw a Bridge Too Far again the other day. It reinforced my recollection that it was the best war movie ever made, at least from the point of view of historical accuracy.
    It's good, but Band of Brothers (2001) is the best WW2 movie I've seen. Das Boot (1981) (206 and 293 minute versions) is also very good. For WWI, Paths of Glory (1957) and Westfront 1918 (1930) (93 minute TCM print) are the best I've seen.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-10-2006 at 16:49.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    It's good, but Band of Brothers (2001) is the best WW2 movie I've seen.
    Technically it's a mini series

But yes, it was also one the best war saga's I've ever seen.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast