Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    It's good, but Band of Brothers (2001) is the best WW2 movie I've seen. Das Boot (1981) (216 and 293 minute versions) is also very good. For WWI, Paths of Glory (1957) and Westfront 1918 (1930) (93 minute TCM print) are the best I've seen.
    Das Boot is great, but it's funny how they're openly anti-Nazi and yet are allowed to have one of the precious U-Boots.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Funniest movie I've seen in such a long time!
    You've got to be kidding me. MP (yes, all of them) is just too ridiculous and tries too hard to be funny, you get sick of it after a few minutes.
    Last edited by Avicenna; 05-03-2006 at 21:43.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Funniest movie on the planet is the Ice Age series. Ice Age 2 -pure childish fun even drives the adults into endless laughter.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Casablanca = classic. If you haven't go see it.

econ21 - A Bridge Too Far used to be one of my favorite WW2 flicks; I watched it more recently and was underwhelmed. I probably had my expectations/memories set too high, but it seemed kind of limp - probably the dull (compared to today's) special effects. It is still pretty good, though. The book is better.

Did anyone actually like The Big Red One? I saw the more recent release, and it was just... Gah. Bad...

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    Funniest movie on the planet is the Ice Age series. Ice Age 2 -pure childish fun even drives the adults into endless laughter.
    I've seen those, pretty good.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Anyone watch Escape to Victory last night? Quality football from Pele, quality, um, acting from Sly and a quality beer belly from Michael Caine. And the title really ought to be Escape to a Draw (But a Moral Victory). Still, it's a fun film if silly, and some legends (Pele, Moore, Ardiles) of the game showing us why they stuck to football. Or soccer, if you will.
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Movie Review Thread

My first review at the IMDB has its own thread. Now I wrote my second for Makhmalbaf's نان و گلدون aka A Momement of Innocence aka Bread and Flower. There...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Saw The Sentinel last Friday night.

Good acting, plot, tension, etc. Generally a pretty good action-suspense movie.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Did anyone actually like The Big Red One? I saw the more recent release, and it was just... Gah. Bad...
    I didn't know there was a remake, The big red one has to be one of the best war movies ever.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Saw MI3 a few days ago. Mildly entertaining, in quality somewhere between the first (good) and the second (unbelievable hollywood popcorn blockbuster, worst John Woo movie evar). Not really worth seeing imo.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    I didn't know there was a remake, The big red one has to be one of the best war movies ever.
    I've seen both versions of The Big Red One (1980), and the restored version is better than the theatrical release version. The studio really hacked that picture on Sam Fuller. This was his lifetime project to convey his experiences in WWII, and I think he does a good job of that. He got very good performances out of the cast and the screen play is good and rings true, but his budget was quite small for a project like this. He only had three tanks to make the entire movie. With an adequate budget, I think The Big Red One would have ranked with the best war movies ever made.

Back in the late 1960's, my father, who was a WWII infantry vet who fought in Europe, said that the TV series Combat with Vic Morrow was the most realistic WWII movie/tv show he had seen up to that time. I don't think he ever saw The Big Red One, but it does remind me of that Combat TV series. Another movie that I think is in a similar vein in its portrayal of the soldiers facing a difficult task is A Walk in the Sun (1945) which unfortunately is not available in a decent quality video release. The final assault on the farmhouse has some speeded up sequences right near the end which detract from the realism. Lewis Milestone, who directed this picture, also did Pork Chop Hill (1959) and All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), and other war films noted for attention to detail and a sense of realism. I remember his film Armored Attack (1943) making a big impression on me, although, it's now superseded by Come and See (1985).
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-10-2006 at 17:59.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I just saw War Of The World. It was good, you know, at least in visuals, but it was too much of an action movie for me, I like something more realistic.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Talking Re: Movie Review Thread

The Big Red One! I saw it as a child on the TV and have been dying to see once again in my lifetime.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Meh! I just don't really see what you guys like in it. I found it terribly episodic, as well as uninspiring action and acting. Plus, the Germans never used Sherman tanks in actual war. I can't bring myself to forgive that, even in light of a limited budget.

I guess I was spoiled by Band of Brothers - which is effectively episodic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    I just don't really see what you guys like in it. I found it terribly episodic, as well as uninspiring action and acting.
    It's not supposed to be inspiring. Sam Fuller said, "The real glory of war is surviving.", and that's what he tries to convey in The Big Red One.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I am watching Princess Bride on AMC. It's a great movie, I've seen before, but I like it anyway.

I just saw The last seduction. I liked it a lot, there is a shortage of convincingly evil characters in movies, and Miss Fiorentino does an excellent job. I like movies where the main character is smarter than everyone else.

I got the tenth anniversary editions of Mallrats and Clerks the other day in some package deal. Reasons were obvious.

On Saturday, though, I watched the original Nosferatu from 1922 (eine Symphonie des Grauens), but with English text. I'm not sure if I like this version or Herzog's Phantom der Nacht better, but I certainly need to watch more expressionist films, especially the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
    Last edited by GoreBag; 05-15-2006 at 08:01.

I just saw the movie sleepers dear god that movie makes you wanna' kill some one.

It's about some kids in NYC, chicago or some city(can't remember) Who accidentally drop a hot dog stand into the sub way and hurt some one. They go to juvy for a year where the guards make the kids give them blow jobs and all sorts of creepy stuff. good news though at the end 2 guards are killed and the rest are thrown in jail

It is a good movie though. Don't let the man/boy scenes turn you off. It didn't show them.
    Formerly ceasar010

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    I just saw the movie sleepers dear god that movie makes you wanna' kill some one.

It's about some kids in NYC, chicago or some city(can't remember) Who accidentally drop a hot dog stand into the sub way and hurt some one. They go to juvy for a year where the guards make the kids give them blow jobs and all sorts of creepy stuff. good news though at the end 2 guards are killed and the rest are thrown in jail

It is a good movie though. Don't let the man/boy scenes turn you off. It didn't show them.

Not my cup of tea.

It's is not some creepy pedo movie it's is mainstream. Its got brad pit, kevin bacon, robert deniro,. All sorts of big name people. I think it might have the girl from the movie paparazzi, I think dustin hoffman might be the guy who guns em' down.
    Formerly ceasar010

I thought Sleepers was very good, and it certainly has a really nice cast.
    It's about boys growing into men, and the way they deal with traumas (and ghosts, more or less material) from the past.
    It's hard to go wrong with Kevin Bacon (again, in a negative role), Robert de Niro, Dustin Hoffmann and Brad Pitt all in the same movie.
    I'd highly recommend it.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Yes I agree, Sleepers is worth the watch. As said the cast is very good, with the Niro as the sympathetic priest and Bacon as the guard everyone hates.

It may be shocking at times, but it really is a film to see.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    On Saturday, though, I watched the original Nosferatu from 1922 (eine Symphonie des Grauens), but with English text. I'm not sure if I like this version or Herzog's Phantom der Nacht better, but I certainly need to watch more expressionist films, especially the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
    Nosferatu (1922) and Phantom der Nacht (1979) are both good. A great way to see these two movies is back to back watching the 1922 version first since the 1979 version references the older movie.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) is good, but not an easy film to grasp. Also, unlike Nosferatu, the ending is a cop out. The restored version of Metropolis (1927) and M (1931) are good examples of german expressionist cinema. I also like Carl Dryer's Vampyr (1932) for a movie that can really spook you out watching it late at night alone in the dark. A fairly modern example of expressionism is Rober Altman's Images (1972) starring Susannah York who gives a very good performance. I guess Repulsion (1965) by Roman Polanski is another example, but I haven't seen it.

Some of the people who made these early movies in Europe moved to Hollywood and worked on movies like Dracula (1931) and Frankenstein (1931) where you can see the influence of the cinamagraphic style, although, they aren't purely expressionistic films. Gothic horror films have their visual roots in early expressionistic films, and it's interesting that this influence came to the Italian gothic horror gendre of the late 1950's and early 1960's apparently by way of the spooky forest sequence in Walt Disney's animated movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937). You can also see the visual influence of german expressionism in Citizen Kane (1941), and the whole film noir gendre of the late 1940's and early 1950's many of which present the viewer with the main character's flawed perspective most of the time.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-16-2006 at 22:15.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    I am watching Princess Bride on AMC. It's a great movie, I've seen before, but I like it anyway.
    The word you are looking for is FANTASTIC, I love that movie to death.

Princes Bride = cult.

I just finished watching "Young Frankenstein"

Quite a funny movie, if you ask me...

While we're talking about "Young [insert movie/novel character]" movies, ever watched Young Sherlock Holmes? Quite interesting, and, what a 'coincidence'. Two scenes, at the hideout, look exactly like the place from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, also directed by Speilberg.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Classic.

Love the music for that one.

Frag - Princess Bride RAWKS! So much so that I must mispell RAWKS!

And I saw The Hunt for Red October the past weekend. Confirming that Sean Connery is Teh Man.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Just saw United 93.

Pretty good. Some tense moments even though you already know what happens. Well directed. Very real.

Helps if you are into aiplanes and airplane tech speak. My woman kept leaning over and asking, "What does _____ mean?"
    Unto each good man a good dog

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Just saw United 93.
    Not sure I could watch that. It sounds a like a good film. But I'd probably end up blubbering like a baby. Rage and grief are a hard mixture to contain. Something about 9/11 still affects me, even though I had no personal involvement with it. I'll probably have to wait until it comes on TV and then watch it alone, late at night.

Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast