Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Up. Another fantastic Pixar film. Do I need to say anything else?

The Hangover. Awesome and very funny. A classic among comedies.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Prince of Persia:
    So, I just went and saw PoP against my better judgment with my sisters (two raving fans of the game), and I gotta say...I was pretty surprised. Just to let you know, I absolutely hate the PoP series, and esp SoT. I hated the *** banter between him and her, and the way he talked to himself like a 2 year old kid, and the overall mental-retardation of it all. Add onto that the fact that movies made after video games, with almost no exceptions (DOOM being the only one that comes to mind) stink...really badly. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty low.
    Overall though, the movie was pretty good. It was not at all historically accurate in its portrayal of Persians (but what do you expect considering the game), but it was not offensive at all. The action was good, the CGI was really good, the storyline was interesting, if a little silly. The characters were funny and developed well, and dialog was actually really good. The actors were all at least up to their parts (Even the Prince, and I hate the actor who plays him), and the woman was smoking hot.
    Overall, I would say that it was a well done and enjoyable movie (I never thought I would see a PoP movie, nvm say that about it :P). I notice that the User reviews are a LOT higher than the critic reviews on this, so I would not put a lot of faith in what the critics say.
    Coincidentally, I hated the game and liked the movie, so you would probably expect fans of the game to dislike the movie. My sisters however (who love the games) loved the movie because of how well it captures the game's feel. :P

Anyway, just thought I would write up a review since I just saw it.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Sands of Time was an awesome game. I will concede, though, that the dialogue and soliloquies in Two Thrones were a bit embarrassing.

The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

7/10

Decent movie, though not particularly funny. The accents are awful.
    Last edited by Azathoth; 05-30-2010 at 02:24.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Kung-Fu Panda, can be summarised as 'I adore Pixar'. Nothing to add.

Boys in Company C, good movie, but the biggest surprise is a younger certain legendary drillmaster. Yes that one.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Macgruber. really funny, if very crude movie. lots of jokes i didnt understand, because i never watched Mcgyver, but still very, very funny
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post

Boys in Company C, good movie, but the biggest surprise is a younger certain legendary drillmaster. Yes that one.
    lol, Kung-Fu Panda was hillarious. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I'm afraid this has me confused. Do you mean to say it was no good by lavishing praise on Dreamworks' competitor Pixar and not mentioning the movie's creators? Or do you mean you got mixed up about who made the movie and you do indeed like it?

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish View Post
    I'm afraid this has me confused. Do you mean to say it was no good by lavishing praise on Dreamworks' competitor Pixar and not mentioning the movie's creators? Or do you mean you got mixed up about who made the movie and you do indeed like it?

Ajax
    LOL!!!!!!

just saw Prince of Persia. great movie, far better than the previews made it out to be. amazing story, only one thing i can complain about.

this damned baby a row above us whined literally the entire time. i seriously didn't even hear him stop to take a breath. throughout the entire 2-hour movie, it would not shut the hell up. what made it worse is they didnt even try to shut it up, but my dad took half an hour during the movie to drive my little brother home and then drive back (he's 6, so hes no good at movies). i hate these people. i actually thought for the latter half of the movie that they should wreck into a milk truck, leaving only the baby alive and with plenty of milk to make it shut the hell up. god i hate those people. frickin douchebags.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Robin Hood. I liked the first half of the film, but what was with the second half. The D-Day landings particularly annoyed me.

Saw a trailer for Wild Target.

Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmS3ePcA6VU

In particular this bit cracked me up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmS3ePcA6VU#t=0m58s

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Wife and I watched a film that managed to make Vikings boring. No small trick! Here's the trailer, which contains almost everything of interest from the flick, except for one spectacular disemboweling.

Ajax
    ow fail! Loved it, thought Pixar made it

In Tranzit, a brave concept and a good movie. Russians naturally weren't saints either. I like it when morality isn't straightforward. It was disgusting how the wehrmacht behaved in Russia, but it's a war and it's over, now they are human beings, they are scared and want to go home. Lead actress has spectacularry expressive eyes, hated her face in the Happening but that movie was overall pretty damn bad.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-04-2010 at 08:34.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

The Wrestler. Proud fool! Good performance, can't believe he lost the award to Sean Penn for Milk... I guess that was somewhat political though. Anyway, getting off topic. All in all pretty good.

Harry Brown. Intense, pity about some of the supporting actors, they weren't so great.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Plague City, one of the best horrors ever. I can't find a trailer so it must be a rare find. Bit of a mix between the Blair Witch Project and The Hills have Eyes, could it get any more awesome than that? Truly scary and rather gory. One exceptionally annoying character dies way too late but at least he dies rather horribly.

I just saw the Karate Kid. It was pretty darned awesome. IMHO, it was a lot better than the original.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Robin Hood (the new one)
    it was pretty good, as a movie. they got a lot of facts wrong, like:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    king Richard did not die by a french arrow, for example.

but otherwise it was good. good action sequences, and good plot, even though its nothing like the real legend.
    id recommend it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Robin Hood (the new one)
    it was pretty good, as a movie. they got a lot of facts wrong, like:
    king Richard did not die by a french arrow, for example.

but otherwise it was good. good action sequences, and good plot, even though its nothing like the real legend.
    id recommend it.
    nor did Robin become an outlaw due to
    his potential power to challenge John

A-Team great movie, truly amazing writing, contrary to what the trailer make it seem like. I went in reluctantly, expecting pure junk. came out, it was a truly epic movie, very much worth the money.

Oh common the trailer is also epic! Are you convicted and heavily armed terrorists? 'no' We are. lol

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Saw Get Him to the Greek yesterday with some friends. Funny (if Apatow raunchy) but the end was kind of lame. It looked like the movie was looking for a message and could only come up with something really insipid.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Toy Story 3: 10/10

Maybe I'm a bit biased since I grew up with this series, but the last 20 minutes of this film made me more emotional than any other single piece of media I have seen in my 20 years of existence.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Didn't know there was a third, first two are brilliant. All recent animated movies are truly good really. Lionking was the last good old fashioned one with songs and all that, after that meh.

Didn't know there was a third, first two are brilliant. All recent animated movies are truly good really. Lionking was the last good old fashioned one with songs and all that, after that meh.
    lion king? someones living in the past...

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

@Hooahguy, nor did they perform D-Day style beach landings, with arrows from the clifftops killing soldiers as they leap out of landing barges. What a joke.

I thought the first half of the film was a good watch, but I got progressively more annoyed at the second half.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 06-23-2010 at 17:57.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    @Hooahguy, nor did they perform D-Day style beach landings, with arrows from the clifftops killing soldiers as they leap out of landing barges. What a joke.
    yea, i was pretty annoyed at the blatant copy of Saving Private Ryan scene. and those landing craft? look almost exactly like Higgens boats.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Invictus 9/10

THIS MOVIE WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to be adding the poem "Invictus" to my signature soon as my new favorite bit of poetry.

This movie was beautifully done and very very classy. Morgan freeman was an absolute god and Matt damon did a fantastic job as well. Props to Clint eastwood for a fantastic job as well. Just an undeniably enjoyable movie.

I didnt even especially like mandela before this movie but i have decided to read his auto biography mostly as recognition of all the man accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    lion king? someones living in the past...
    As I said, last good classic Disney, the formula was already growing stale. I really despised everything they dis after that. But when the digital age arived they changed the formula, now it's gem after gem, a laugh and a tear.

As I said, last good classic Disney, the formula was already growing stale. I really despised everything they dis after that..
    even Ratatouille(sp?) ?

And I've wanted to see Invictus, just never had time or anyone to watch it with.

even Ratatouille(sp?) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    All recent animated movies are truly good really. Lionking was the last good old fashioned one with songs and all that, after that meh.
    Fragony's making a distinction between the Pixar films and 'Classic Disney.' Ratatouille wouldn't fall under his classic category. What great 2D hand-animated film has Disney released since Lion King?

Ajax

edit: the answer, of course, is The Emperor's New Groove, though that doesn't really feel like Classic Disney, either.
    Last edited by ajaxfetish; 06-24-2010 at 21:37.

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Fragony's making a distinction between the Pixar films and 'Classic Disney.' Ratatouille wouldn't fall under his classic category. What great 2D hand-animated film has Disney released since Lion King?

Ajax

edit: the answer, of course, is The Emperor's New Groove, though that doesn't really feel like Classic Disney, either.

dont know why, i love that movie.

dont know why, i love that movie.
    For me, I'd say it feels a lot more satirical and sarcastic than the classics. It doesn't have the same innocence. A couple quotes from Ebert's review:

"Groove" is not an animated musical telling an archetypal fable about mermaids, lions or brave young Chinese girls. It's a goofy slapstick cartoon, with the attention span of Donald Duck.
    "The Emperor's New Groove" seems to have been made over in a corner of the Disney lot by animators who just wanted to laugh a lot and wear funny hats.
    It's not your typical Disney animated film. It feels more like something from Dreamworks. Yet I'd have to say it's their best traditional-animation piece since the Lion King. The more traditional stuff has been lacking over the last decade or so.

Ajax

Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast