Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

National Treasure.

Waste.

Of.

Time.

(unless you're a small kid, in which case it's good fun)

Audition--Not for the squeamish

I enjoyed it tremendously.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Saving Private Ryan on TNT. Even though it was on TV it was uncut. I REALLY liked it.

I did however hate it when at the end, the translator kills the german soldier he befriended earlier. I know it's just war, but it doesn't make it any better.
    Put it this way, as you being the guy. You've been brought to the squad, and you've become very attached to them, due to the fact that they've saved your life on numerous occasions. This guy machineguns your squad and kills one person. Then, you fight with your squad to allow him to live. He lives, and goes away. He then comes back, and kills yet more of your squad. Do you think at that stage you would feel any pity for him? The translator has already shown far more restraint than most others, but in the end this guy is just scum in his eyes. Lying, filthy, scum. It may not be a moral thing to do, but it surely is what almost everyone would do in his situation.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

I would also reccomend interview with a vampire purely for the reason that it is a good watch but it also has Tom Cruise as evil. Or atleast semi evil.
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius
    Put it this way, as you being the guy. You've been brought to the squad, and you've become very attached to them, due to the fact that they've saved your life on numerous occasions. This guy machineguns your squad and kills one person. Then, you fight with your squad to allow him to live. He lives, and goes away. He then comes back, and kills yet more of your squad. Do you think at that stage you would feel any pity for him? The translator has already shown far more restraint than most others, but in the end this guy is just scum in his eyes. Lying, filthy, scum. It may not be a moral thing to do, but it surely is what almost everyone would do in his situation.
    I've already argued this point, and discussed this with Alex a page or 2 ago in this thread.

I tend to agree with you Tiberius. I shall not argue - nor will I ever - that shooting an unarmed man is a good thing to do, but i do sympathise with the man who did it.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 06-11-2006 at 12:27.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Manchurian Candidate. If you're looking for a very good, relatively believable political thriller this is recommended. Great acting and a solid, intriguing plot made it entertaining to watch. Trailed off a little shortly before the end, but got back on track very quickly.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Audition--Not for the squeamish

I enjoyed it tremendously.
    Kidikidikidi............

brrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    I've already argued this point, and discussed this with Alex a page or 2 ago in this thread.

I tend to agree with you Tiberius. I shall not argue - nor will I ever - that shooting an unarmed man is a good thing to do, but i do sympathise with the man who did it.

It's not that I don't sympathise with what he did. He was the most generous of the punch, but I looked at him as the good true soldier, and I expected he would be the one person who wouldn't do that.

It's just a movie (although I know it happend on all sides throughout the war in real life) so I will not argue it anymore.

Saw II - I saw this movie ( ) with a friend late and night and it was awsome. Most people would think of this as a horror pointless movie with a bunch of random killing, but it's much more. It's more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie.

Enemy at the Gates - I've been wanting to watch this for so long and finally I got to. It's one of my favourite movies now. I recomend it to everyone who likes that kind of stuff.

Four Brothers - Well it looks like I can pick movies, because this was an other one I rented that was absolutely awsome.

Go watch every one of these if you haven't.

Enemy at the gates is a great movie. Also i liked national treasure it was clever and had some good history. Also i just saw X-Men 3, it was a good movie but
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    EVERYONE DIES
    "Nuts" -Gen. Anthony McAuliffe-

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    If you liked The Last Seduction (1994), definitely checkout Bound (1996).
    Thanks for the recommendation, that was a really great movie.

Jurassic Park II and Jurassic Park III. Both excellent movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Jurassic Park II and Jurassic Park III. Both excellent movies.
    50cc good taste!!! quik we are losing him!!!

Anyway. Finaly saw 'Batman Begins' and I enjoyed it immensily. After non-talent Schumacher destroyed the excellent batman series I was very sceptical, and was pleasantly surprised that this might just be the best batman movie ever. The only thing that was dissapointing was the city itselve, nothing Gothic about it.

Also watched 'A history of violence', great movie. It starts out harmless enough, only to kick you in the face later. There isn't a lot of it, but the violence is extremily graphic, this is sure as hell not a movie for the weaker tummies. Cronenberg really wants to show that violence is a very ugly thing.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I saw "Go tell the Spartans...", a Vietnam war movie starring Burt Lancaster as a grizzled major commanding some American "advisors" in 1964. The film was made in 1978, but somehow feels ten years older. It can't compare with the modern production values and brilliant execution of Deer Hunter or Apocalypse Now, which IIRC were made in the same year. But the fact that it seems a little low budget and not a typical modern Hollywood movie means that the plot is genuinely unpredictable and has a sense of danger - no actor is safe.

Burt Lancaster is the stand-out of course, as a man who senses that everything is going to fall apart but does his duty with honour and good humour. There's a lovely scene where he insists on taking a dangerous mission over the objections of a boffin-ish intelligence officer he's frequently argued with in the past.

Lancaster (challenging): "What's the matter, Lieutenant, do you love your commanding officer?"

Boffin-ish intelligence officer (befuddled): "Yes, sir"

Lancaster (humourous, assured): "Well that's all right, son, because I love you too."

28 days later: Excellent zombie horror movie. Although it turns out the zombies aren't the real horror. Any movie which has the apocalypse brought on by animal rights activists has to be good.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting, I've been looking for a good zombie horror movie. Saw Shawn (sp?) of the Dead recently, a good movie. I'll have to check out this 28 days later.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Interesting, I've been looking for a good zombie horror movie. Saw Shawn (sp?) of the Dead recently, a good movie. I'll have to check out this 28 days later.

Crazed Rabbit
    If you're looking for a good horror movie, well... OK, horror/comedy satire movie with odd things in it, then I highly recommend Bubba Ho-Tep. Can't beat a movie with Elvis (Bruce Campbell) and JFK (Ossie Davis, yes I said Ossie Davis, I won't spoil this funny part) in a nursing home fighting an evil Egyptian mummy. Go rent it now! No, now. Get off the couch and go! Quick!
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    28 days later: Excellent zombie horror movie. Although it turns out the zombies aren't the real horror. Any movie which has the apocalypse brought on by animal rights activists has to be good.
    Technically there are no zombies in 28 Days Later, and the rage virus was developed by scientists not animal rights activists. I thought this movie was very good with good scares, character arcs for both main characters and interesting social commentary all of which you look for in this gendre. The original music score is also good, and the film has some interesting experimental cinematography. The movie was more effective in the theater than it is on a small TV screen. I liked the theatrical ending, and didn't care for either of the two alternate endings on the DVD.

Straight into Darkness (2005) is a thought provoking war movie. Jeff Burr, the writer and director of this film, says "Straight into Darkness is a character-led story that is set in the last winter of the Second World War, just after the Battle of the Bulge. It focuses on two American soldiers and their enigmatic, psychological, and religious journey between the lines." It is that, but it's also a powerful allegory for the tragedy which mankind is acting out. After watching the film you may want to read the poem "The Conquoror Worm" by Edgar Alan Poe.

Musa, alternate title The Warrior, (2001). Set in China in 1375 it's the story of a group of Koreans who try to establish diplomatic ties with the Ming Dynasty after the Ming had driven the Yuan (Mongol) Dynasty north of The Great Wall. It's an epic picture with very well done action set pieces (and a lot of them) without the fake wirework common in many of these movies, and it's a good story with lots of characters both major and minor who all receive character development scenes. The actors all seem to be ethnically correct, and the costumes are very well done; great photography as well. It's not a good guys vs bad guys type of story as everyone in it has both good and bad characteristics. This film didn't get a theatrical release in the USA, but has recently been re-released on DVD.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 07-02-2006 at 23:17.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Yuck at Jurassic Park.

I watched Rising Sun recently, quite exciting but I got a bit confused with all the Japanese sayings by the end. Don't like Sean Connery's disrespect of Sun Tzu though

Other films that I've enjoyed are The Firm and The Pelican Brief.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I saw Sin City on TV over the weekend. It was an agreeable way to waste time. Visually impressive, with the black and white effects. The acting of the lead "hard men", and especially their voice overs, was effective. I did not recognise Mickey Rourke as Marv, whose middle segment the "long goodbye" was the best of three stories. The plot and the ultra-violence reminded me of Tarantino's first two films, but without the innovation or audacity. Ultimately the whole thing was rather juvenile (every woman was an object of desire), but what do you expect of a film based on a comic?

I also ended up watching Alien Resurrection again. The first time I watched it, I missed the first half and thought it the worst of the franchise. Seeing the whole thing redeemed it slightly, but it was still ultimately a waste of time. They should have stopped after Aliens.

Saw 'Panzerkruizer Potempkin' with full orchestra, awesome. Shame so much of the material was lost, it doesn't really show that the crew are treated so badly.

Glory to the revulotion, reminded me a bit of our state-television

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Just watched Collateral. I must say I was suprised. I was expecting a really shoddy movie, but it was atually good. The plot held together nicely, the cinematography was good and not bad acting (except I hate the way Tom Cruise runs!). It was a bit cliche, but still a decent movie. Defenately worth my evening.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Finally saw Darwin's Nightmare on cable -- excellent documentary, although rather depressing. Good use of atmosphere. For a film about such touchy subjects it managed to be fairly apolitical.

28 Days Later is a silly movie. The zombies aren't zombies and they skitter around like chipmunks. And the idea that a squad of soldiers would revert to atavistic rape and pillage after one month strains credulity. I liked the film when I first saw it, but it didn't age well, and when I saw it again on cable every little plot hole was big and obvious.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, goodness. I just saw a most awesome movie;
    Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
    I was expecting another generic martial arts movie, and was totally surprised. The fighting in this movie was probably the best I've ever seen in any movie, and the stunts were amazing, made even more so because there were no special effects or stunt doubles for the leading man (Tony Jaa).

Jaa is a villager in rural thailand who's buddha idol's head is stolen. He goes looking for it in Bangkok, and the fight scenes that result are like nothing I've ever seen. Also, since Jaa uses muay thai fighting, his style is very different from most martial arts movies.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Oi! National Treasure wasn't so bad!

Erm. Gotta think of a movie now.

The Princess Bride. Though that's been mentioned here before, I'd wager. But I won't go back and look.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Oh, goodness. I just saw a most awesome movie;
    Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
    I was expecting another generic martial arts movie, and was totally surprised. The fighting in this movie was probably the best I've ever seen in any movie, and the stunts were amazing, made even more so because there were no special effects or stunt doubles for the leading man (Tony Jaa).

Crazed Rabbit
    Yes that was excellent

His other movie "tom yum goong has even better fight scenes.

I just watched Shanghai Knights, the sequel to SHanghai Noon. They managed to make it even funnier than the first. Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson.

stalin

Bad boy Bubby: the best "Have sex with your mom and eat cockroaches" movie ever
    Last edited by stalin; 07-17-2006 at 17:44.

'Les temps du loup'. Ok, now this is a good movie, yay to post-apocalyptic goodness. A woman slowly realises that something bad has happened, it is never explained what happened, but there are great food shortages and humanity is at it's finest in this not-so-feelgood movie. No relief, there is no hope, western civilisation has collapsed. In a brilliant endshot you glaze at the beautifull french landscape from a train, a farm here and there, it all feels dead. This is a kick in the face, just like 'Threads' and 'the day after'.

District B13 kicks all kinds of ass.

Here's a clip from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJD...district%20b13

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Just watched K2, mountaineering film about, erm, K2. Second highest mountain on earth, really really hard to climb, so our heroes Michael Biehn and some guy with glasses join an expedition to climb and find the true meaning of friendship, life, love and all that piffle. The expedition mainly comprises of dislikeable irrelevant people whose function is to drop out so our heroes can make the summit bid.
    The problem with making mountain films is you either end up with silliness (Cliffhanger, Vertical Limit) or a nature documentary. This comes somewhere in between, with accidents and (from the literature I've read) a fairly accurate portrayal of how miserable life is at 26,000 feet in a tent. I dunno, it's ok. They couldn't film on K2 anyway, cos of it being too remote and frankly bloody dangerous, but only an expert would know. Ok if you like mountains, probably better to watch Touching the Void though.

Also watched Ong Bak (again) cos I love violence, especially the bit where Tony Jaa breaks that guy's leg. Altogether now...aahhhhh, cringe!
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast