Page 79 of 114 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Watched War Horse last Monday, after watching the play last year. Absolutely dire film, sentimental to the point of getting in the way of actual emotional connection to the audience. Adding in the lazy historical generalisations (I.e. the implication that all of the British were "good" whilst some of the Germans were "villains"), a ridiculous plot and a lack of awesome puppetry and you're left with a resounding disappointment. Not sure why the New Yorker raved about it.

Roger Dodger

It's not a coming of age film....it's not a comedy exactly, or a drama. But...it's an awesome film.
    I mean you sit down and watch it with your friends and you feel like going back to those teenage years when everything felt so much more magical. We guys were all laughing a lot reminiscing our own antics in college.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Act of Valor: 4/5
    Script: 1/5
    Action: 100/5

That basically sums it up. Cheesy script, the Seals aren't the best actors, but the action is absolutely perfect! It is definitely worth seeing for that alone.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Watch Tunnel Rats for the awesome intro song, then quickly turn it off before you realize its a bad movie (and that the song is a cover).
    I love that song.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Chronicle was surprisingly good. Like a low-fi white-boy version of Akira.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Empire of the Sun
    Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Acting was ok, but all I saw the movie as was one very long coming of age film that was oftentimes boring.
    6/10

Con Air
    While Nicholas Cage's southern accent is laughable, the rest of the film was superb. Some really funny scenes and some really sombering scenes.
    9/10
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Empire of the Sun
    Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Acting was ok, but all I saw the movie as was one very long coming of age film that was oftentimes boring.
    6/10
    It doesn't help that the main character is so punchable

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

It's a shame Hugo didn't win Best Picture. I haven't seen everything from 2011 yet (including The Artist) but of what I have, Hugo was easily the best.

It was good for the first half, but when it turned into a movie about the early movie business it became awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Fargo is a comedy in my book, it's all tragic of course but it's packed with hilarity. I adore the soundtrack, soooooo tragic it's perfect. The Coen brothers are masters of small touches, they have yet to make a movie I didn't REALLY like
    Yeah, Fargo is definitely a black comedy. Agreed on the soundtrack too, it reminds me of Taxi Driver in parts which is high praise.
    Last edited by Graphic; 02-27-2012 at 14:33.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Con Air
    While Nicholas Cage's southern accent is laughable, the rest of the film was superb. Some really funny scenes and some really sombering scenes.
    9/10
    Put. Then bunny. Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Yeah, Fargo is definitely a black comedy. Agreed on the soundtrack too, it reminds me of Taxi Driver in parts which is high praise.
    If you haven't seen it already 'No country for old man' is just as good. How they come up with the sitational comedy I don't know, but it's brlliant, yay for being lovily mocked

If you haven't seen it already 'No country for old man' is just as good. How they come up with the sitational comedy I don't know, but it's brlliant, yay for being lovily mocked
    No Country is one of my three favorite movies from 2007 (other two being Zodiac and There Will Be Blood).

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Empire of the Sun
    6/10
    It may grow on you. When I first saw it in my twenties, I was underwhelmed. I caught it again quite recently at about double that age and thought it was a tour de force.

I am not sure what changed - maybe I was looking at the "punchable" main character from the perspective of a parent rather than of a young man. It makes you view the boy's losing his parents, and later losing his innocence, quite differently. And I think Christian Bale did a jaw dropping job - I am not sure he has done anything better since - with a powerful cast of supporting characters.

Partly, I guess I was no longer looking for an action film. The film's plot has the messiness that comes with a real life story (yes, it's fiction but based heavily on the author's own war time experiences, IIRC). Watching it in the same way as you would watch Schindler's List, it is very moving.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    It may grow on you. When I first saw it in my twenties, I was underwhelmed. I caught it again quite recently at about double that age and thought it was a tour de force.

I am not sure what changed - maybe I was looking at the "punchable" main character from the perspective of a parent rather than of a young man. It makes you view the boy's losing his parents, and later losing his innocence, quite differently. And I think Christian Bale did a jaw dropping job - I am not sure he has done anything better since - with a powerful cast of supporting characters.

Partly, I guess I was no longer looking for an action film. The film's plot has the messiness that comes with a real life story (yes, it's fiction but based heavily on the author's own war time experiences, IIRC). Watching it in the same way as you would watch Schindler's List, it is very moving.
    Christian Bale's best work to me will always be American Psycho.

Red Tails

Terrence Howard's inspiring speeches got old fast.

The dialogue for white pilots was like something a 12 year old would write, because they pretty much just said out loud what was happening on screen or expressed their feelings in short, simplistic sentences. Like "Those black pilots did OK. I NOW LIKE BLACK PEOPLE AND AM NO LONGER RACIST." Its almost like something out of a Family Guy sketch. Black dialogue wasn't much better with them joking and having a good old time like they were hanging out in a bar...but during a life-and-death dog fight. I half expected one of them to go YIPEE!!! like young Anakin in Phantom Menace.

Action was decent but not great. Climax was over in a flash and there was no tension during it. They cut down jet planes like they were Wright brothers planes.

Love scenes were pretty bad but not as bad as Attack of the Clones because at least here they couldn't speak to each other.

I don't normally harp on technical inaccuracies in war movies because its nearly completely beside the point (thats right, Org war buffs!), but seeing a particular maneuver done twice that looked like something only an X-wing could do was a bit much. It was cartoonish.

It just came off as much more corny, simple and overly reverent than it needed to be. Now that I've seen it I agree with the criticisms I heard. It needed to be more serious and darker. Miracle at St. Anna was better in every way (St. Anna is highly underrated IMO), and even Windtalkers (which was basically Hard Boiled dressed up as a WW2 movie) handled this kind of thing better. The tone of the movie is akin to propaganda (it actually ends with a patriotic speech with the "star-spangled banner" playing in the background) which doesn't ever really sit right with me. War is a dark thing and therefore I like my war movies to be dark.

I don't regret seeing it the one time, but that'll be it.

TL;DR - It's exactly what you imagine a George Lucas affiliated war movie to be: a ball of corn covered in cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    St. Anna is highly underrated IMO

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version) - Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but I ended up liking it quite a bit.

*minor spoilers*

What I didn't like:

- The beginning was handled horribly.Iit was just a clusterfrack of one piece of information after the other in rapid succession, compounded by the difficulty in remembering who all the different Henrick Wancherstrom Lochbrach Dieterhaufenschlombergs were. I had to piece together what was going on while also trying to pay attention to current scenes. It was made even worse by the music being too loud and therefore difficult to hear some dialogue.

- The rape scene didnt need to go that far...im no prude but it just felt gratuitous after a while. I feel like an old fart saying this but I really wanted this scene to end ASAP. I think they could have cut that whole arc revolving around the rape and the movie would barely have suffered for it.

- The editing was so fast that you barely got to enjoy any individual scene. I cant think back to a specific scene I thought was really well done because no one stays in one spot for more than two minutes. Unfortunately one of the only scenes that was slow enough to take in was the rape scene.

What I did like:

everything else
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-05-2012 at 08:11.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Put. Then bunny. Down.

Incendiay, *sigh* another Magnolia-clone. Few stories, few events. And guess what EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED geddit?

So clever

Incendiay, *sigh* another Magnolia-clone. Few stories, few events. And guess what EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED geddit?

So clever
    I hate every one of these kinds of movies.

There's also Crash, Traffic, Syriana, Babel. At least 2-3 more I cant recall

Yeah and many more even the type of music is the same, I actually meant Babel in the above, screwed up

Fun fact. The Rock and Con Air are actually Nic Cages 2nd and 3rd best movies ever.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Fun fact. The Rock and Con Air are actually Nic Cages 2nd and 3rd best movies ever.
    Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans being his #1. That movie is too awesome for words.

"His soul is still dancing! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

His best movie is obviously 'Leaving Las Vegas', true romance for true men: booze, hookers & jazz

Watched the Secret of Kells again.

The movie is really good as far as animation goes. A distinct style. I specially liked the forest scenes and how they depicted the vikings, but the best part of the movie, even after the second viewing is Aisling's song.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Watched the Secret of Kells again.

The movie is really good as far as animation goes. A distinct style. I specially liked the forest scenes and how they depicted the vikings, but the best part of the movie, even after the second viewing is Aisling's song.
    I forgot I've not watched this animation until the end. It's on my list again for this week.
    Thanks rajpoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

The pleasure is all mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I forgot I've not watched this animation until the end. It's on my list again for this week.
    Thanks rajpoot
    How can you not....

Ah well. World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles. Starts out interestingly enough, first half is great. Kudo's for putting Michelle Rodriguez and Bridget Moynahan (gawd sooooooo pretty) in one movie

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I've watched 'the twillight samurai' last night. It was a decent slow movie. It's more a portrait of the tragic protagonist than a story. "They said he was an unlucky man, but he would've disagreed"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

War Horse

Having not paid much attention to the trailers and commercials about this because I thought it was just some stupid animal movie that was going to rob me of a chance to see a good WW1 movie (which are very rare), I expected this to be lame.

Well aside from spending too much time on the farm in the beginning, I have no complaints. As much as it's a story about a horse, its just as much a story about the hardships of war that the people who take possession of the horse face; people from both sides and civilians.

The combat scenes are very well done as well.

It was very refreshing to see a real war movie that covers the darkness and human cost of war, instead of just people fighting each other for 2 hours or it devolving into a modern propaganda piece glorifying war.

Highly recommended.

Dorian Gray, deliciously depraved. Never read a book from Oscar Wilde, maybe I should.

Page 79 of 114 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast