Page 80 of 114 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I've watched 'the twillight samurai' last night. It was a decent slow movie. It's more a portrait of the tragic protagonist than a story. "They said he was an unlucky man, but he would've disagreed"
    Really enjoyed that film. If you're digging around in post-Kurosawa samurai flicks, I would also recommend Taboo (a.k.a Gohatto).

Member thankful for this post:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The Abandonded, genre-lovers only. Very effective US/Russian horror-movie, genuinly scary. Great setting, please mom I don't want to go to an abandonded Russian farm do I really have to? Yikes. Old deserted buildings are always freaky

The Abandoned was pretty cool, yeah! :D
    This space intentionally left blank.

Got a tip for you btw Haxie, you should check out Ki-duk Kim's work. Budhist monk and film-director, can't imagine you not liking it; Budhist themes but modern movies

Drive--Uh, I guess, think "The transporter" except with an uninteresting and incoherent and mostly silent and expressionless protagonist. A good car scene at the beginning but that's it. Very artistically filmed, which is I suppose one of the main reasons for the good reviews.

The main problem with the film is that it fails at the type of character it wants to have. The guy in the transporter is a likable guy who got into a life of crime, we're ok with it because we like him and because he sticks to his moral code, and the movie is about the line he won't cross, so he becomes a good guy part way through the movie. The guy in drive makes no sense as an actual person (and certainly not a likable one), he's just a stand in for a concept that the creators of the movie think is really cool. It's like having a movie about a rebellious teenager where the director cuts out completely what he's rebelling against and why and just has bunches of shots of him calmly doing rebellious stuff.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Lone Wolf & Club saga

Why did the Imperials go through the trouble of the Boshin War when all they needed was to get the Shogun's executioner on their side?
    Fountains of blood, cool atmosphere, crazy villains. Its pretty insane at times but never sinking to anime levels...it maintains a tone somewhere between Kurosawa and Kill Bill.

They go in the following order:

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
    Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
    Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades
    Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril
    Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons
    Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell

An interesting note: the protagonist, Ogami Itto, has supposedly killed more people on screen than any other single character in cinematic history. He kills 150 people in just the last movie alone.

Just watch the swedish "Girl with the dragon tattoo", liked it a lot. Is the english remake worth watching at some point or not? It seems like a huge change to cast daniel craig and that girl...

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Just watch the swedish "Girl with the dragon tattoo", liked it a lot. Is the english remake worth watching at some point or not? It seems like a huge change to cast daniel craig and that girl...
    The english version has a more graphic feel to it and the ending is slighty changed but not that essential story or anything.

Sexual scenes are more in you face and maybe even a bit disturbing.

I aint read the book so of course the english language version might be more true to the book I dunno.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Drive, cool crime movie. Bit slow at first but good. Will have to inform a friend that he has a brother in America because it's scary how much he looks exactly like the main character. I hit him in the face 2 weeks ago maybe I shouldn't have.

A Dangerous Method

Very well written, one of those movies where you're happy to just listen to people talk. Very well acted by Fassbender. Mortensen acts the part of Freud but comes off a bit wooden, I think Christoph Waltz (first choice) would have added some depth and character to him. It's interesting but aimless, one of those "this is what happens to these people over a number of years" kind of movies. There's nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Really though, Fassbender is great (in general, not just this).

Watch it.

The Hunger Games - I was dragged to the movie only having heard that this was the latest Harry Potter-Twilight tween book-to-movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fairly well crafted dystopian future that was heavy on the violence and light on the angsty teen girl love fantasy and/or magic (ugh... magic). It was also pretty deep for the genre, with a seemingly equal balance of Left and Right wing slippery slope type messages. The most interesting thing about the movie for this politico was its ability to reflect the viewer's own subconcious ideological leanings (which is definitely not why people are flocking to the movie, don't get me wrong). I'm actually surprised the source content is popular with the teen set. It was a genuinely good movie, and could have been great if it weren't constrained with a PG-13 rating. It is a kid's movie, after all.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 03-26-2012 at 06:32.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    The Hunger Games - I was dragged to the movie only having heard that this was the latest Harry Potter-Twilight tween book-to-movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fairly well crafted dystopian future that was heavy on the violence and light on the angsty teen girl love fantasy and/or magic (ugh... magic). It was also pretty deep for the genre, with a seemingly equal balance of Left and Right wing slippery slope type messages. The most interesting thing about the movie for this politico was its ability to reflect the viewer's own subconcious ideological leanings (which is definitely not why people are flocking to the movie, don't get me wrong). I'm actually surprised the source content is popular with the teen set. It was a genuinely good movie, and could have been great if it weren't constrained with a PG-13 rating. It is a kid's movie, after all.
    There's a movie owwwwww? Loved the books

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    There's a movie owwwwww? Loved the books
    Hehe, how could you miss it? It's apparently breaking box office records around the world.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 03-26-2012 at 07:44.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I thought this was under the impression this was going to be Battle Royal: the american remake. Damn my ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Squeezin's View Post
    I thought this was under the impression this was going to be Battle Royal: the american remake. Damn my ignorance.
    First two books kinda are just that really. Great fun I recommend them, but keep in mind that it are children-books despite the sometimes astonishingly brutal violence

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    A Dangerous Method

Very well written, one of those movies where you're happy to just listen to people talk. Very well acted by Fassbender. Mortensen acts the part of Freud but comes off a bit wooden, I think Christoph Waltz (first choice) would have added some depth and character to him. It's interesting but aimless, one of those "this is what happens to these people over a number of years" kind of movies. There's nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Really though, Fassbender is great (in general, not just this).

Watch it.
    Thanks for the mini-review Graphic.

I've long had my eye on this one; just haven't gotten around to actually watching it yet. A pity to hear Viggo's turn as Freud was less than stellar, but then he does seem to have a tendency to under-act at times (although I've enjoyed most of his roles that I've seen).

Thanks for the critique, PJ. I'm rather interested in seeing this one -- especially as I want to watch it before I read the books -- so that's good to hear.

I suspect the movie could potentially appeal to a wide range of audiences, as the books on which they're based (plans are already being made for filming the sequels) seem to enjoy similar mass appeal.

As an example, my (now) ex-girlfriend is 28 years old, a huge geek (like myself), and generally despises books written for teen girls; yet she thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy. Alongside that, my former roommate/landlady (who's your more "normal" 31-year-old woman) also liked the series quite a bit, even though she normally doesn't care for books with a sci-fi/dystopian setting.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

First two books kinda are just that really. Great fun I recommend them, but keep in mind that it are children-books despite the sometimes astonishingly brutal violence
    Funnily enough you come out thinking you have seen a load of gore but it's nearly all implied or out of focus or so fast you dont see anything but get the idea.

Director did well to keep the feel of the violence which is obviously what the books about in essentially a 12s movie.

I had never heard of it till I seen the trailer for it went to cinema and found myself in a cinema full of exira and delira tweens.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Hobo with a shotgun, with a title like that you know it's going to be fun. And it's full of win. We all miss the consciously terrible movies from the 80's, just admit it. The makers obvious pleassure in making terrible movies is charming. (and that is why The Expendables fails so badly) Planet Terror was awesome. Machette was awesome. This one is also awesome. A loveletter to terrible movies.

Hobo with a shotgun, with a title like that you know it's going to be fun. And it's full of win. We all miss the consciously terrible movies from the 80's, just admit it. The makers obvious pleassure in making terrible movies is charming. (and that is why The Expendables fails so badly) Planet Terror was awesome. Machette was awesome. This one is also awesome. A loveletter to terrible movies.
    This I got to see.
    Thank you.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    This I got to see.
    Thank you.
    He's delivering justice one shell at a time

I thought Hobo with a Shotgun was terrible, and I usually love stuff like that. It's terrible beyond its attempts to be terrible on purpose. It's really bad and all the strawberry syrup blood in the world couldn't have saved it.

I thought Hobo with a Shotgun was terrible, and I usually love stuff like that. It's terrible beyond its attempts to be terrible on purpose. It's really bad and all the strawberry syrup blood in the world couldn't have saved it.
    Oh common,you are just grumpie. There's a wealth of awesome oneliners like 'time for skate-rape' and worse.

The Expendables fails at being terrible? I couldn't agree more. :) It does darned good at being awesome though.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Expendables was a huge letdown. Didn't have an 80s/early 90s feel at all, it felt like it was only 45 minutes long and the action was kind of tame. I blame this on them shooting while not being sure if it was going to be R or PG-13. Hopefully for Expendables 2 they'll know it'll be R so they can let the expletives and Rambo level gore loose.

It's not bad but after Rambo (2008) it just wasn't up to par.
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-29-2012 at 00:43.

Expendables was a huge letdown. Didn't have an 80s/early 90s feel at all, it felt like it was only 45 minutes long and the action was kind of tame. I blame this on them shooting while not being sure if it was going to be R or PG-13. Hopefully for Expendables 2 they'll know it'll be R so they can let the expletives and Rambo level gore loose.

It's not bad but after Rambo (2008) it just wasn't up to par.
    I'll admit that the last Rambo was the definition of awesome (better than all the other Rambos before it IMHO), but you have to remember that Expendables was a different type of movie. It was not Rambo part 5. I personally think both were awesome, but in different ways.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

It didn't need to be Rambo 5, but have violence and testosterone somewhere in the same league.

Rambo was surprisingly good. Sure is the goriest movie I ever saw

Its the only movie I know of that shows what 50 cal bullets really do to bodies. They don't get shot up, they come apart!

It didn't need to be Rambo 5, but have violence and testosterone somewhere in the same league.
    It had great characters, and cool martial arts instead. And are you forgetting the beheading with a giant knife and the AA12 scene just to name a few?

Its the only movie I know of that shows what 50 cal bullets really do to bodies. They don't get shot up, they come apart!
    lol, my brother said the same thing.

Play Misty For Me. Got this because, well, it's Eastwood.
    Not like his usual fare, which I knew. What I did not know that the film is actually chilling. I was expecting it to be kind of cheesy like some of his other non-western movies, but it was actually kind of creepy. The actress who play Evelyn nails it IMO.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Page 80 of 114 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast