Page 81 of 114 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Silent Hill, not that bad really except for the ending, does a fair job of recreating the feeling of being half-awake in someone's nightmare. Fans hate it but fans tend to do that.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I've watched 'the twillight samurai' last night. It was a decent slow movie. It's more a portrait of the tragic protagonist than a story. "They said he was an unlucky man, but he would've disagreed"
    Watched 'Hidden blade' by the same director, based on books by the same author as the Twillight samurai.
    I wouldn't recommend watching one in a short period after the other as they're practically the same movie. The same theme, the same style, the same story telling, the same character of protagonist, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

I just watched Wrath of the Titans, and it was pretty awesome. It has a lot more storyline and character depth than the first movie, and also has better action.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I can't accept the basic premise of The Hunger Games, so I kinda feel the whole thing is dumb. Odd that I can get involved in the magical world of Harry Potter but not some random dystopia.

The Eagle, pretty cool. But not enough battles. In a movie about Romans and Picts there should be many battles. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    The Eagle, pretty cool. But not enough battles. In a movie about Romans and Picts there should be many battles. Period.

Yeah I watched this one when it came out. Nice scenery. Love movies featuring open vistas, specially highlands. But not bloody enough. And the premise is a little silly.

Centurion is a lot better. TBH I found it at par with Gladiator.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Could also use more battles but it's bloody alright. And warrior-women are always awesome. Period.

Awesome movie indeed

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

There was not enough half enough screen naughtiness with Olga Kurylenko in fact there was none.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    There was not enough half enough screen naughtiness with Olga Kurylenko in fact there was none.
    Agreed. She was also hot in Doomsday. Something about her. something savage, perfect casting for both movies.

Agreed. She was also hot in Doomsday. Something about her. something savage, perfect casting for both movies.
    Darn you guys are silly! I was rolling my eyes every time they showed her because of how unconvincing she looked. Seriously, would you have the same opinion if she was not Ukrainian?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Transformers 3
    I didnt really like the first two movies, but the 3rd was actually pretty good. Also the main character's LI in the 3rd is hotter than the first 2. Though there is still some annoying dialogue and cringe-worthy lines.

8.5/10
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Darn you guys are silly! I was rolling my eyes every time they showed her because of how unconvincing she looked. Seriously, would you have the same opinion if she was not Ukrainian?
    How could you not like the way she looks at the camara when she kills that slave, she is a wild one, she is half wolf you see.

IMO Olga Kurylenko just didn't take to that psychotic, vengeful character well. She looked way too......out of place amongst all the other Celts.
    What I liked about the movie was that it was well balanced. Enough action, enough blood and decent enough story, without any silly scenes that might make a man cringe (the 'battle' scene at beginning of The Eagle for instance)

How could you not like the way she looks at the camara when she kills that slave, she is a wild one, she is half wolf you see.
    lol Frags, that is so cheesy! I, personally, thought that was a bit of bad acting, but to each his own.
    Want wild?

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    IMO Olga Kurylenko just didn't take to that psychotic, vengeful character well. She looked way too......out of place amongst all the other Celts.
    What I liked about the movie was that it was well balanced. Enough action, enough blood and decent enough story, without any silly scenes that might make a man cringe (the 'battle' scene at beginning of The Eagle for instance)
    She IS out of place, Romans killed her people and she was adopted by the Picts remember. Whoever her people were I don't know but we are still seeing the consequences it had to UK's women even today

Priest, pretty cool. Nice handdrawn intro sequence, I wish someone actually made an animated movie of a graphic novel.

The Brothers Grim, for a Terry Gilliam movie pretty unimpressive, brilliant people also have to pay the rent I guess, it has nothing of his trademark surrealism. Not bad though, had a few good laughs

Open Range.

I got this one over a year back, but had been waiting for the right mood to see it. Western movies are a treat now-a-days and good Westerns are rare. With a cast like Kevin Costner, Robert Duval and Michael Gambon, and all the good reviews I was pretty sure that it'll be worth it.
    And it was. It's a good movie for our times.
    The other recent movies (or relatively recent) which I remember ATM are Appaloosa and 3:10 to Yuma (I would've included Unforgiven but then that's Clint Eastwood and it's 1991, so it's an entirely different class).
    I did not much like 3:10 to Yuma. Maybe because I never like Russel Crowe that much, and maybe because it deviated fromt he story and made the badguy seem like an antihero instead of a real badguy. Appaloosa I liked quite a bit, since for one I like Viggo Mortenson, and two, it had some really great gunfights and music that made up for all the duller scenes.
    Now Open Range is good, but it's not as great as I was hoping it would be. Once again it's got too much talking and unecessary sceans. Furthermore, not enough gunfights.
    It's a good movie, nice dialogue and everything. But it's only as Western as it can get when you put in a bunch of horses and cowboy hats. Lacks the feel.
    I guess that's because maybe people today won't appriciate the kind of Westerns they made back then...maybe because .45s don't cut it for action movies these days, and so they had to make it into something else.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-11-2012 at 19:31.

Get 'The Proposition' , I could argue that it's a better movie than Oncw upon a time in the Wext. Incredibly awesome movie

The Thing, a true classic, with 'Jacob's Ladder' THE horror-movie from the eighties. When an old movie is remastered as good as this I don't mind paying a little extra.

The Thing, it's not a remake it's a prequel. It naturally benefits from better special effects, the creature is suitably disgusting. A shame it lacks the tension of the original. It's pretty forgetable sadly.

Just saw Recoil. 2/5 Stars. It was a pretty bad movie.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Is there a movie Britons hate more than U-571?

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen Haywire? I heard that it was really poorly received, but looking at the trailer and the first 5 minutes, I am not entirely sure why people didn't like it. It looks like it is gonna be darned good to me. I missed it in the theatres, so I am going to have to see it when it comes to Redbox.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen Haywire? I heard that it was really poorly received, but looking at the trailer and the first 5 minutes, I am not entirely sure why people didn't like it. It looks like it is gonna be darned good to me. I missed it in the theatres, so I am going to have to see it when it comes to Redbox.
    Seen it in the cinema over here.

If I had to guess I would have to say the jazz or blues music or whatever it was just feels wrong in an action movie. It sort of makes the screen action feel a bit restrained even though she is beating people around the whole shop. I would lay a hundred euro in Paddy Power people were turned off by the film score without even copping there is plenty action.

It's worth a look if nothing but for the fact there are plenty of top actors in it and it's an action movie with a woman in it.

On a side note there is a fair bit of it is set in Dublin and I know all the locations as there all in the city centre.

Seen it in the cinema over here.

If I had to guess I would have to say the jazz or blues music or whatever it was just feels wrong in an action movie. It sort of makes the screen action feel a bit restrained even though she is beating people around the whole shop. I would lay a hundred euro in Paddy Power people were turned off by the film score without even copping there is plenty action.

It's worth a look if nothing but for the fact there are plenty of top actors in it and it's an action movie with a woman in it.

On a side note there is a fair bit of it is set in Dublin and I know all the locations as there all in the city centre.
    Yeah, I thought it looked really good.

Yeah, I thought it looked really good.
    It's not the best action movie I ever saw but it's not the worst movie I have seen either.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Last week I saw Tintin and The secret of Kells

Tintin
    I liked Tintin very much. I was in awe with the CG work. Altough I would've prefered the ligne claire technique, I understand why they did it and it's simply breath taking. Secondly I thought they were true to the spirit of the comic and the characters. I'm sure most who worked on this were or became fans of Tintin.

The secret of Kells
    I liked this one just for the fact that it was well made and different from the blockbuster animations. It has been praised a lot in this thread and I can see why but perhaps due to all this praise, I expected something more. In liked the humour, the drame, the stylization (5 monks drawn sometimes as 1 entity for example) but it wasn't on the same level as The triplet of Belle-Ville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Saw The Twilight Samurai on TV last night. It was good. Liked the acting.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Zombieland.

Good horror comedy. Although not so much horror. Think along the lines of Shaun of the Dead.
    I generally like Jesse Eisenberg's films and this one was no exception. Worth watching with a few beers and crisps on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Zombieland.

Good horror comedy. Although not so much horror. Think along the lines of Shaun of the Dead.
    I generally like Jesse Eisenberg's films and this one was no exception. Worth watching with a few beers and crisps on the side.
    I second this. Better with friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Is there a movie Britons hate more than U-571?
    The Patriot, of course!

Never has there been a more anti-Brit movie. When they aren't bumbling idiots, they're sadistic madmen. It's glorious in a 'screw history, Amerrika: **** yeah!' kind of way. Amazingly, they cut a lot of the worst out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQj...eature=related
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 04-21-2012 at 12:48.

Member thankful for this post:

Page 81 of 114 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast