Thread: Centurion: Total War

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Centurion: Total War

I have quietly doing this little project. This mod is based on a game called Centurion: Defender of Rome.
    Centurion: Defender of Rome is a turn-based strategy game released in 1990. It's a very entertaining game and will keep you coming back for more, even despite its age. Centurion: Defender of Rome is a classic game, one that started the strategy genre, and is the basis for the modern game in said genre, including the Total War saga.
    More about that game in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=4545242

What I want to do is bring some of that games fun into RTW. I have been working on this for a long time and I think now I have finally something to show. Since I am not good moddeler and I don't have all the fancy programs for it then most of the units in this mod are from RTW and BI. But I am trying to create a nice and challenging(but most of all - fun) campaign none the less.

Some info about this mod:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    So what factions will be in this mod?
    There will be 10 major factions and 9 minor factions.
    Major factions are Rome, Carthage, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucids, Gauls, Iberia, Scythia, Parthia and Germania.
    Minor factions are Samnites, Syracuse, Pergamon, Mauretania, Sparta, Dacia, Thracia, Britons and Armenia.

What about units?
    Every major faction have 5 different 'factional' units. Minor factions have 1-2 of those.
    There will be 5 types of units(for major factions): Militia, Infantry, Cavalry, Special Unit 1, Special Unit 2
    Those Special Units can be recruited in capital provinces(every factions starting province), so guard those places well!
    But to make things not so boring there will be many cheap regional units. Beside regional infantry and cavalry units you can also recruit missile units. For Romans, for example, it would be hard to fight against Parthia or Scythia if you don't have some regional units helping you out.
    Also some regions/provinces will have special units that you can recruit only from that place. So, owning Crete and Rhodos might be a good idea!

Will there be 'Marian Reforms'?
    Yes, I will use it(It's impossible not to use it). Romans will go through a complete make-up. Stronger and more capable units and Auxiliary units from Regional barracks. Rome after reforms is terrible oponent. All other major faction will receive 1 special unit(mostly heavy cavalry/infantry) to counter Romans.
    But to make things more interesting then 2 minor factions will receive late Roman units too if they have survived that long. These factions are Syracuse and Samnites(Yes, they are Scipii and Brutii factions from Vanilla).

Below You can see current units for major factions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Roman Empire

Pre-Marian. 1.Town Watch, 2.Legionaries, 3. Roman Cavalry, 4. First Cohort, 5. Praetorian Cohort

Post-Marian: 1.Urban Cohort, 2.Reformed Legionaries, 3. Legionary Cavalry, 4. Reformed First Cohort, 5.Praetorian Cohort, 6. Praetorian Cavalry(Post-Marian Special unit for Romans)

Post-Marian Auxiliaries: 1. Light Auxilia, 2. Auxilia Spearmen, 3. Auxilia Archers, 4. Auxilia Cavalry

Carthage

1.Militia Spearmen, 2.Poeni Infantry, 3.Poeni Cavalry, 4.War Elephants, 5.Sacred Band Infantry, 6. Sacred Band Cavalry(Post-Marian unit)

Macedon

1.Peasant Militia, 2.Phalanx Pikemen, 3.Macedonian Cavalry, 4.Royal Phalanx, 5.Companion Cavalry, 6.Argyraspides(Post-Marian unit)

Egypt

1.Egyptian Militia, 2.Egyptian Infantry, 3.Egyptian Cavalry, 4. War Elephants, 5. Royal Phalanx, 6.Hetairoi/Companions(post-Marian unit)

Seleucids

1.Peasant Militia, 2.Phalanx Pikemen, 3.Macedonian Cavalry, 4.War Elephants, 5.Cataphracts, 6.Argyraspides(Post-Marian unit)

Gauls

1.Peasant Warband, 2.Gaulish Warband, 3.Gaulish Cavalry, 4.Forester Warband, 5.Gaulish Heavy Infantry, 6.Gaulish Heavy Cavalry(Post-Marian unit)

Iberia

1.Militia Spearmen, 2.Iberian Infantry, 3.Iberian Cavalry, 4.Scutarii, 5.Heavy Scutarii, 6.Iberian Heavy Cavalry

Parthia

1.Peasant Militia, 2.Eastern Infantry, 3.Horse Archers, 4.Heavy Horse Archers, 5. Cataphracts, 6.Heavy Infantry(Post-Marian unit that needs to be added)

Germania

1.Peasant Warband, 2.Germanic Infantry, 3.Germanic Cavalry, 4.Raiders, 5.Heavy Infantry, 6.Germanic Heavy Cavalry(Post-Marian unit)

Scythia
    No Preview
    1.Peasant Warband, 2.Scythian Infantry, 3.Horse Archers, 4.Scythian Heavy Cavalry, 5.Scythian Heavy Horse Archers, 6.Scythian Heavy Infantry(Post-Marian unit that needs to be added)

As you can see I need some help with some of the unit names but that's not all.

I'm currently looking someone who could write some faction/unit/building descriptions and someone who could help me with some units. Also, someone who have the patience working with all those text files is welcomed!

Next time I'll show you some parts of the campaign map.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-16-2009 at 15:57.

Default Re: Centurion: Total War

You should be able to turn off the Marian Reforms by adding this line:

Code:
    marian_reforms_disabled
    To the top of Descr_Strat, right after the start and end dates. That is how BI comes normally, so if you are using the BI executable it should not be a problem. I imagine it works with the RTW executable as well.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Blog Entries

I know that but Marian Reforms will add a new layer to the mod.

Blog Entries

A small update.

This is the current world:

All factions will start with 1 province - their capital. But many factions will have small armies positioned near rebel settlements near by to help AI to expand.

Must say that Sparta currently is too strong. They mass produce Spartan hoplites and can easily take over Balkan!

Blog Entries

Current priorities: Adding 1-2 towns to North-Western Africa(Siga and ??), Adding 1 town between Egypt and Syria(Pelusion), 1-2 towns to Gallia(???).

Other things to do:
    1. Replacing Unit info cards with pics from units in-game(in M2TW style)!
    2. Creating missing factional and regional units!
    3. New faction/unit/buildingdescriptions.

Blog Entries

Small Update:

1. I left the idea of replacing unit info cards with pics from units in-game. Too much work and I don't have the time for it.
    2. Added Pelusion and Babylon.
    3. Following regions have all of their units done:
    Italy: Italian Skirmishers, Italian Light Infantry, Italian Cavalry
    Egypt: Egyptian Bowmen, Nubian Spearmen, Nubian Cavalry, Nubian Champions
    Western Africa: Skirmishers, Numidian Javelinmen*, Numidian Cavalry
    Gaul: Celtic Slingers, Celtic Warband**, Celtic Light Cavalry
    Greece: Heavy Skirmishers, Hoplites, Greek Cavalry

* I think I replace them with another unit. Javelinmen are similar to skirmishers so there is no point having 2 skirmishers in this region.
    ** Currently I have Naked Fanatics from RTW as Celtic Warband but I think I will replace them with another unit as well. Perhaps some unit from BI?

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

If you want I could help with unit and building descriptions.

Blog Entries

That would help me a lot!!

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

All I need is what you want done.
    I'm not a Historical 'Wiz' , but a little bit of research should get what you want.

Blog Entries

I'll let you know what I currently need within couple of days.
    To get you in the mood you could check out this website.
    It's a fansite for Centurion: Defender of Rome. It's the game I'm trying to bring to Total War 'universe'
    There should be even download link so you can actually play that game! It's the battle strategy I love the most!!
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 03-02-2009 at 12:37.

cool, il check it out. good luck with the mod

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

Blog Entries

Small update:

Most of the development and most of the news will be posted in this place: http://ikworld.proboards.com/index.cgi

Feel free to check this out and help me with your suggestions!

coming along nicely Ibn, lookin forward 2 it.
    ~WotB~
    Strategos Epilektos Panaitolos Ankyrikos Commander of 1sy Lydian Army

~BtSH~

Consul/Dux Cornelius Blasio

Blog Entries

Thank you.

I'm trying to create a good and challenging campaign.
    Battles and new units are secondary objectives. Probably there will be some new units in future but currently I'm using RTW and RTW:BI units.

Blog Entries

Once I get a message from EB-Team I will post some campaign map pics with new settlements.
    The thing is that I hope they allow me to use EB campaign map textures!

Blog Entries

A small campaign map update in here!

I have 2 pics there and a list of settlements yet to be added.

Edit: I'm using Europa Barbarorum campaign map textures. So, all credit for making CTW campaign much prettier goes to them!
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-16-2009 at 15:58. Reason: link removed

Blog Entries

Hi,

Could someone help me with my campaign map. For some reason I get CTD's when I enter couple of my new cities. The game just crashes to desktop and doesn't give any reason why it does it. I have added other provinces as well and they seem to be working.

So, any could some good mapper help me out?