Thread: Help with Casse? Reborn RTW fan runs to EB :P

Question Help with Casse? Reborn RTW fan runs to EB :P

Hey guys.

EB has got me back into RTW which is a good thing really.. but then again maybe not allgood as I spend all my time on it

I was never a really great RTW player before and only knew basics of the gameplay and never really got into or understood a lot of the deep aspects of the game.

So EB comes along and I look at the site then wow it looks great! I love history a lot although I don't study it. Its just such an interesting subject, at school most the time its made a bit boring but as soon as I left school I got more and more interested, mainly because of where I live (Colchester).

Loving British barbarian and early 'tribes' (at least the idea of them and what I little I know) I think i'll try out with the Casse to get me going.

Anyway after a few attempts I get sortof going but MANY years behind, after trying to get a good income. I then finally go over to europe to find its all been taken up by the Aediu and Sweboz (At least the west and north east).
    Both being my allies, I don't really want to mess starting a huge war where i can't really do any good.

Now to the questions

As I said i'm not an expert with RTW so maybe you can refresh and help me out on a few things that may improve my gameplay.

1. So I ask, is the Casse's only main goal to take the whole of Briton/UK (At least whats known as the UK now)??.

2. How on earth do you get going well to start with? From the gameplay guide I learnt to sell the fleet as its taking a lot of income away but still I find it tricky to get any sort of income...
    Remember i'm not great with the deep aspects so I might be missing the obvious :-P

3. Retinue, I never really got it when I first played RTW. Do you transfer them between generals/family members? What ways do you gain them?

I ask the above because i'm starting again as the Casse, after taking well over 192+ years to actually get to europe but I was only figuring out and boy does ending turns take time!?

I've got more questions and stuff i'd like to ask but i'll let you take the shock of this long post and questions first :)

I'm really enjoying the EB mod and I can't wait for the patch :)

Thanks!
    David

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Default Re: Help with Casse? Reborn RTW fan runs to EB :P

Quote Originally Posted by David_VI
    3. Retinue, I never really got it when I first played RTW. Do you transfer them between generals/family members? What ways do you gain them?
    You can transfer them by clicking and dragging the ancillary portraits from one general down to the other on the "army" view of the stack or town. Some can't be transferred, because the general has an ancillary that clashes with the new one.

Most are gained by having your general sit in a settlement, but some are gained by travelling outside or winning battles. In EB, gaining an ancillary (not having one transferred) can also affect your general's traits. A comedian might cheer him up, for example. A gladiator might cause the general to become a bigger fan of the games. Academies provide a lot of ancillaries (especially in Athenai and Alexandreia!) These ancillaries usually teach your general some academic skill.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Quote Originally Posted by David_VI
    1. So I ask, is the Casse's only main goal to take the whole of Briton/UK (At least whats known as the UK now)??.

2. How on earth do you get going well to start with? From the gameplay guide I learnt to sell the fleet as its taking a lot of income away but still I find it tricky to get any sort of income...
    Remember i'm not great with the deep aspects so I might be missing the obvious :-P
    Malrubrius did a good job with the ancillaries question. I'd just add when transferring ancillaries, the family members doing the transferring should be in the same stack, settlement, or what have you.

1. Casse's victoly conditions should also show up as a trait for your faction leader.

2. E.B. has tweaked vanilla RTW a bit, you have to decide what to do with your starting forces; all out attack, or disband and build. They've really cut back on how fast an economy grows, and made unit recruitment and upkeep costs higher. So, yeah, almost everybody's income is tight at first. Pick your battles carefully, expand, and build ecnomoic upgrades and you should be doing fine. Remember, at first, you probably won't be able to afford to throw stacks and stacks of troops around. :)
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    You can transfer them by clicking and dragging the ancillary portraits from one general down to the other on the "army" view of the stack or town. Some can't be transferred, because the general has an ancillary that clashes with the new one.

Most are gained by having your general sit in a settlement, but some are gained by travelling outside or winning battles. In EB, gaining an ancillary (not having one transferred) can also affect your general's traits. A comedian might cheer him up, for example. A gladiator might cause the general to become a bigger fan of the games. Academies provide a lot of ancillaries (especially in Athenai and Alexandreia!) These ancillaries usually teach your general some academic skill.
    Oh yes. Thanks for that, I had some idea how they worked but just needed a bit more info and backing up about it so I could use them to my advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Mujalumbo
    Malrubrius did a good job with the ancillaries question. I'd just add when transferring ancillaries, the family members doing the transferring should be in the same stack, settlement, or what have you.

1. Casse's victoly conditions should also show up as a trait for your faction leader.

2. E.B. has tweaked vanilla RTW a bit, you have to decide what to do with your starting forces; all out attack, or disband and build. They've really cut back on how fast an economy grows, and made unit recruitment and upkeep costs higher. So, yeah, almost everybody's income is tight at first. Pick your battles carefully, expand, and build ecnomoic upgrades and you should be doing fine. Remember, at first, you probably won't be able to afford to throw stacks and stacks of troops around. :)
    Thanks!

It seems very hard to get started on EB, but i've only tried the Casse so far!

more :D

4. Is it a good idea to send your diplomat abroad before disbanding the fleet? The guide says so but i'd like some more helping info... is it best to just go around making trade agreements with every faction you come upon? What about alliances? which factions are best for what when visiting them with your diplomat.. for example when i first tried I made just the Aedui and sweboz allied..

5. When starting again now I know a bit more, what difficulty would you recommend for the best gaming experiance on EB but good for getting more used to it?

Thanks again!
    David

I started my first (and current) EB Casse campaign on M/M. It's been great so far. Here's what I did and you can too!

Indeed send your diplomat across the channel before disbanding your 'fleet'. Make your way across the world after that garnering trade agreements. Other than that, the Casse have the unique advantage of not being at war with the rebels from the get go, so use that to your advantage. I personally sat back for years and years, building up a nice economy and starting city, then trained some troops and took over the isles. It took about 12 years, and boy was it fun.

After I had full control of both islansds, I sat back for another good while, building back up my economy and newly conquered provinces. After a few more years, with a huge surplus and a nice army to boot, I invaded the mainland. And ah, the rest is history .

Here's my current situation, 142 B.C.

Basically, the best thing about the Casse is your two main natural advantages. The beginning of the game, your at peace with the rebels and if you play on M, it'll stay that way until you decide to change it. After you're good and ready, attack and take the islands. The second advantage now is your natural borders. You're on an island and nobody is going to attack you. When you feel sufficiently prepared, go ahead and wreak havoc on the mainland.

Take your time, build up, attack and consolidate. Casse shall rule the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderland
    I started my first (and current) EB Casse campaign on M/M. It's been great so far. Here's what I did and you can too!

Indeed send your diplomat across the channel before disbanding your 'fleet'. Make your way across the world after that garnering trade agreements. Other than that, the Casse have the unique advantage of not being at war with the rebels from the get go, so use that to your advantage. I personally sat back for years and years, building up a nice economy and starting city, then trained some troops and took over the isles. It took about 12 years, and boy was it fun.

After I had full control of both islansds, I sat back for another good while, building back up my economy and newly conquered provinces. After a few more years, with a huge surplus and a nice army to boot, I invaded the mainland. And ah, the rest is history .

Here's my current situation, 142 B.C.

Basically, the best thing about the Casse is your two main natural advantages. The beginning of the game, your at peace with the rebels and if you play on M, it'll stay that way until you decide to change it. After you're good and ready, attack and take the islands. The second advantage now is your natural borders. You're on an island and nobody is going to attack you. When you feel sufficiently prepared, go ahead and wreak havoc on the mainland.

Take your time, build up, attack and consolidate. Casse shall rule the world.
    Wow! A lot of great info and tips!
    Thank you! I shall now go start my Casse empire! :)

David

I'd be really interested to see where your campaign goes. Would you mind updating us on the situation as the game goes along? Screenshots, info, whatever.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderland
    I'd be really interested to see where your campaign goes. Would you mind updating us on the situation as the game goes along? Screenshots, info, whatever.

Good luck!
    I'll try my best! I'm not that great at explainingthings and such! :)

All i've done so far is send my diplomat around a lot of the known world getting trade agreements and just building up my capital.. turn after turn... The Casse feel quite peaceful at the moment!

Just as a bit of followup advice that might be of some help to you.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...9&postcount=19

Take your time though!

One poster here disbanded his fleet before moving his diplomat to the mainland. Didn't he go like fifty or sixty years before anybody realized the Casse even existed?
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra