Thread: RTW:Which faction do u think is the most FUN to play ?

Mujahidin_Eastern TIGERS Member AndyNgFL's Avatar

Default RTW:Which faction do u think is the most FUN to play ?

Which FACTION do u think is the most FUN to play ? Why ?

Pls also state your campaign / battle difficulty and your version of RTW you are playng !
    Last edited by AndyNgFL; 05-16-2006 at 04:15.

RTW [ Gold Edition ] Version 1.5 / 1.6
    Difficulty - VH/VH

M2TW [ Gold Edition ] Version 1.03 / 1.05
    Difficulty - VH/VH

Adversity reveals e genius of e Leader, gd fortune conceals it.

WAR has NO RULES

Wardog Beastmaster Member Wardruid's Avatar
    I live in a pretty quiet place in Baguio city, Benguet, Philippines. Nuff said

Default Re: RTW:Which faction do u think is the most FUN to play ?

Seleucid Empire and Romans
    Campaign and battle diff. is medium
    They're fun for me 'cause they're pretty versitile when all their units are available. I'm recently playing the BI version of the old RTW.

The parthians
    the same
    They're fun 'cause they are perfect for maneuver warfare
    "For as long as there is man there shall be war."
    -Albert Einstein

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Playing EB I´ve to say the Seleukids or Romans.
    Back on RTR it was Greece or Macedon.
    With vanilla I prefered one of the Roman factions.
    In BI it was a draw between west and east Romans.

Romans, Macedon and Carthage in RTW
    BI its definitely the ERE and the Franks

I play on H/H difficulty.

On BI my fave campaign has been Alemanni on hard and medium battles. You've got good units, including fun ones like beserkers. Your within striknig distance of Rome but push too early and Franks, Saxons, Lombardi and Burgundi will kill you from your rear. Then mid stages of the game you have to defend off the hordes.

DECEBALVS PER SCORILO Member Diurpaneus's Avatar

Gaul is the funniest campaign.....the serious campaigns are: Germania and Julii.these are my favourites and i play them 100% serious

for intellectual players who enjoy protracted tactical engagements, who arrange armies very precisely and engage in the most orderly and controlled manner for optimal effects and minimal casualties, Greek/Macedon are the most fun as their armies only as combat effective as their tactical deployment.

for players who focus on the rushing and overwhelming your opponents and not so much on the details, barbarians is potentially the most rewarding factions to play. they do require a lot of skill to use properly as well as their armies are more disorganized and low in morale, hence organized manoeuvers are much harder to pull off (timing need to be perfect or armies will rout).

for those cunning players who use hit-and-run tactics to soften their opponents before moving in for the final kill, eastern factions with mainly horse archers are a hot favourite.

for those who really are interested in a challenge, throw-away factions (non-playable factions meant to be an easy kill) are a common choice. examples include Numidia and Pontus who have limited/weak unit choices.

p.s. one thing i dont like about this game, almost every faction except rome has phalanxes. barbarians who cant even move together in a orderly manner can form a tightly arranged phalanx formation? most infantry for other factions except barbarians and romans are all spearman phalanxes? this cheapens the idea of a phalanx and takes much fun of them.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I enjoy playing the Romans most because of the look and feel of the faction - methodical, well equipped and relentless. In vanilla RTW, the Senate missions, long speeches and civil war keep the game interesting for the Romans. Phalanx and horse archer armies just seem boring to play (although no doubt lethal) against the AI while smelly barbarians don't appeal. (Barbarian factions in EB and increasingly, RTR are getting more interesting though.)

In terms of fun gameplay, in vanilla RTW I found the Carthaginians, late Seleucids and Pontus interesting. Tactically, they are not all about the phalanx in the way that Greece and, to a degree, Macedon are. They have interesting support units - especially cavalry. They also have more open strategic positions - being more on the peripherary, they have more options and things are unlikely to be decided so suddenly.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

The phalanx armies aren't fun if you're sieging though. Almost worthless when attacking an enemy.

Carthage should be interesting, but not fun if you can't be bothered to spend the first few turns managing everything to have enough money and troops to defend yourself from the Romans, Greeks, Numidians and Iberians.

In RTR, RTW and BI my fave have to be the Romans.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Quote Originally Posted by longbowmen

p.s. one thing i dont like about this game, almost every faction except rome has phalanxes. barbarians who cant even move together in a orderly manner can form a tightly arranged phalanx formation? most infantry for other factions except barbarians and romans are all spearman phalanxes? this cheapens the idea of a phalanx and takes much fun of them.
    That's because most the factions you are refering to are Alexander's successor states, so egypt, seleucid, greek cities, macedon, etc etc so they do use phalanxes. Greek Cities without phalanxes just wouldn't work. So it's historical really.

Edit: And it's only Germany who can form phalanxes that's a 'little' out there. Thracian armies IIRC did pick up greek ways as they lived so close. They are sort of a blend between civilization and barbarism.
    Last edited by Monarch; 03-29-2006 at 18:02.

the romans...it satisfies me to butcher them BARBARIANS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    On BI my fave campaign has been Alemanni on hard and medium battles. You've got good units, including fun ones like beserkers. Your within striknig distance of Rome but push too early and Franks, Saxons, Lombardi and Burgundi will kill you from your rear. Then mid stages of the game you have to defend off the hordes.
    Playing Alemanni was easy. Use your Faction Heir move to exterminate Augusta Vindelicorum, the large town south of your Capital, hiring mecenaries on the way. It can be done in 3-4 turns. Then turn back and crush the Romans in 1-2 turns and the road to Rome is pratically a breeze.

Difficulty - VH/VH

Difficulty - VH/VH

WAR has NO RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Diurpaneus
    Gaul is the funniest campaign.....the serious campaigns are: Germania and Julii.these are my favourites and i play them 100% serious
    I think you got the meaning wrong. Fun is not funny. Fun is enjoy. In another words ...

Which faction do you enjoy playing ?

Difficulty - VH/VH

Difficulty - VH/VH

WAR has NO RULES

[QUOTE=longbowmen]
    p.s. one thing i dont like about this game, almost every faction except rome has phalanxes. barbarians who cant even move together in a orderly manner can form a tightly arranged phalanx formation? most infantry for other factions except barbarians and romans are all spearman phalanxes? this cheapens the idea of a phalanx and takes much fun of them.[/QUO

I suppose that's to give them a good chance of winning against more 'civilised' armies.

I always enjoy playing the Greeks, cutting the Romans to pieces. No Roman has ever survived my Greek ships.

For players new to this game I suggest: play the Julii - Gaul is no match for Hastati - even if the Hastati are poorly deployed.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

My favorite faction is the Scythians, theres something satisfying about riding down from the steppes and squashing civilization beneath the hoves of my might horses and riding on to sack rome.
    Yes all those horsies riding around and pillaging and looting is so much fun!
    Those noble HA are so brutal and then the axeman are good for sieges and such.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

I think the Romans are probably the most 'fun' of the factions in RTW. You have a fairly easy start, and soldiers good enough to hold off your opponents whilst you build up strength so there's less frustration than with some factions. You also have a senate dishing out orders and a bit of rivalry with your fellow Roman families to keep things interesting. Legionaries are also more fun to use than tricky phalanx units who have a habit of acting like morons. Finally, when civil war kicks in, it's Roman versus Roman and that's always an interesting showdown, even if you do just end up facing endless stacks of Praetorians and Onagers.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyNgFL
    Playing Alemanni was easy. Use your Faction Heir move to exterminate Augusta Vindelicorum, the large town south of your Capital, hiring mecenaries on the way. It can be done in 3-4 turns. Then turn back and crush the Romans in 1-2 turns and the road to Rome is pratically a breeze.
    So don't do that. Input house rules to make it harder. I'm saying I paly the boring 'finish as soon as possible' way mate.

For me the most fun faction is scythia because I like axsemen.
    offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

Carthage without a doubt. The array of units, the starting position, just everything really. I usually play on either M/M or VH/M but I prefer M/M to be honest.
    Playing as Carthage is also a lot more fun if you impose certain rules on yourself (which I saw in one of the PBeM's here at the .org) such as, have to invade Rome via the alps, etc.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Now that I've downloaded EB, I've got to say that EB is the most fun to play. It's not just a mindless rush to build masses of units and conquer like vanilla, with the rebels not only being a little better, but often even more of a challenge to conquer than the main factions! (Over a full stack in most rebellious cities) The fun factions would probably be the more completed ones at the moment, such as the Greeks with their special touches (Olympic games and Greek UI, and a decent amount of units) and challenging starting position, the Romans (not playing them yet though, don't like having the Greek Romans).

Previously, it was very difficult factions like Numidia, Parthia, Armenia ...

NOW ? Its normal REBELS ! I still cant win with them !

Difficulty - VH/VH

Difficulty - VH/VH

WAR has NO RULES

Well, an advantage would be putting all taxes on VH. A disadvantage would be that everyone is going against you.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Vanilla RTW has to be the Romans. CA designed the game around the romans, so they are by far the most fun to play.

Im much more of a BI fan, and it would be a toss up between the Huns and Franks for me. I love horse archer dependant armies, and the heerbahns of the franks are great.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

New Member Member Johnsus Coolius's Avatar

I'd say Dacia. Although it was originally unplayable, it's pretty easy to conjure up huge mobs of infantry able to smash Thrace and Macedon within a few turns. Pontus also is a good option, and its not as easy. Carthage has really complicated diplomatic relations, if you're into that.

Holy necromancy Batman! Just shy of a decade.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Armenia.
    Heavily armored horse archers; how can you go wrong?
    Ja-mata TosaInu