Thread: What a joke.

Default What a joke.

I have downloaded and installed the fixed factions mod from TWC and played as Rome. Look at what they have to do to win? Is that possible to do that for the other roman factions but have hold all the settlements and take off rebels as you can't destroy them.

offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: What a joke.

Destroying the rebels does sound rather soul-destroying. I hated the "conquer the map" victory conditions of STW and MTW. The Glorious Achievements were much better, as are the BI faction specific goals.

EB also requires the Romans to wipe out very many factions, but not the rebels thank goodness and no more than they really did, IIRC. Such grandiose victory conditions make the game feel rather epic.

By contrast, holding 50 provinces in RTR is rather anti-climatic - given the greater number of provinces on their map, I sometimes feel I am just getting going when I've won the game. Playing as Seleucia, in particular, scarcely seems bothering with, it's already got so many provinces. I guess that will change with 7.0.

stalin

Can the senate build any temples now?

I'll find out if they do build temples.

They can't build temples.

How do you change the win conditions for the factions yourself instead of installing a mod?
    Last edited by Bombasticus Maximus; 05-18-2006 at 09:23.
    offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bombasticus Maximus
    How do you change the win conditions for the factions yourself instead of installing a mod?
    Dunno - you'd probably have to start messing around with scripting. But you don't really need to. When you win, there's a "play on" option. Conversely, if you meet your objectives before the official win conditions, just stop playing.

What I will do is When it allows me to take rome I'll not take it and wait til I have destroyed everybody then take it.

stalin

But you have rome already...

Only if you´re playing as the Senate and that´s not supposed to happen in the first place.

You always have the choice of playing on after meeting the victory conditions from version 1.2 on, so when you´re asked whether you want to continue, check yes (if you´re asked if you want to quit check "no", of course, right now I don´t know how the game formulates that question). Simple as that.

I mean another campaign.

I am playing on 1.0 thats why.....

I suggest you get at least patch 1.2, for a variety of reasons. Whether to get 1.5 - that would require getting 1.3, or installing BI, first and that one is really big, download-size-wise - or not I´ll leave open to discussion, it certainly improves a lot but adds some quirks as well (the butt-spike issue and diplomats losing influence after failed negotiations are among them).

But you´re right, from what I´ve read, in 1.0 (and possibly 1.1) you can´t continue after completing your goals.

Well I have two installs one of 1.0 and one of 1.5 and BI at 1.6 so 1.0 is fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    Destroying the rebels does sound rather soul-destroying. I hated the "conquer the map" victory conditions of STW and MTW. The Glorious Achievements were much better, as are the BI faction specific goals.

EB also requires the Romans to wipe out very many factions, but not the rebels thank goodness and no more than they really did, IIRC. Such grandiose victory conditions make the game feel rather epic.

By contrast, holding 50 provinces in RTR is rather anti-climatic - given the greater number of provinces on their map, I sometimes feel I am just getting going when I've won the game. Playing as Seleucia, in particular, scarcely seems bothering with, it's already got so many provinces. I guess that will change with 7.0.
    If you consider the victory requirements to be rather meaningless: try to edit this descr_win_conditions.txt file.

It really isn't difficult:

[name of faction to which the following conditions apply]
    imperator - ('standard' victory condition: 50 regions + Rome)
    hold_regions - [region which is to be held], [region which is to be held], etc.
    take_regions - [number of regions that are to be taken]
    short_campaign outlive_factions - nothing follows on this line
    [name of faction which is to be outlived], [name of faction which is to be outlived], etc.

Now the simple reason why the Senate gets those 'insane' victory conditions is according to me: now they won't make war upon any other state themselves, and now they can't possibly win which is to eliminate the scenario in which you start your campaign and immediately get this 'You have lost' message. Seeing that they control Rome from the start...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    I suggest you get at least patch 1.2, for a variety of reasons. Whether to get 1.5 - that would require getting 1.3, or installing BI, first and that one is really big, download-size-wise - or not I´ll leave open to discussion, it certainly improves a lot but adds some quirks as well (the butt-spike issue and diplomats losing influence after failed negotiations are among them).

But you´re right, from what I´ve read, in 1.0 (and possibly 1.1) you can´t continue after completing your goals.
    I beat it on 1.1 and it's possible. You could try this on 1.0 if you want. Basically, v1.2 and on add an option to continue on the victory screen. Well, before that it would force you to go back to main menu except you can hit escape and get to the options menu. Save the game and then hit the check to go back to main menu. Reload your save you just made and you're after the victory screen so you can continue.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

You're screwed...