Thread: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

"PBeM: Play by mail games are games, of any type, played through postal mail or e-mail. One example, chess, has been played by mail for centuries (when played in this way, it is known as correspondence chess)."

"Hotseat or hot seat is a multiplayer mode provided by some computer games and video games (usually turn-based games), which allows two or more players to play on the same computer using the same single set of input devices (e.g. mouse and keyboard), by taking turns using the input devices."

- Wikipedia

Yes this is a multiplayer mod for Rome - Total war

Installation Instructions:

Unfortunately this doesn't come with a nice easy installer, as its not really fully finished/tested. Here are the instructions on how to make it work. I hope they are clear enough:

Run the script generator and follow the instructions to generate the script. The script generated will be placed in C:\
    Place the script in Rome - Total War\data\scripts\show_me (NB for PBE multiplayer games this should be done on all the PC's)

This script must be activated whenever you load the game to play your turn. This is done through the advisor. Here are some basic instructions on how to make this happen:

Open Rome - Total War\data\export_descr_advice.txt

Find this entry:
    Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
        GameArea Campaign

Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
            Uninhibitable
            Verbosity  0 
            Threshold  1 
            Attitude Normal
            Presentation Default
            Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
            Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1
    Edit it by adding the line written in bold and in red:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
        GameArea Campaign

Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
            Uninhibitable
            Verbosity  0 
            Threshold  1 
            Attitude Normal
            Presentation Default
            Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
            Script scripts\show_me\HotSeatScript.txt
            Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1
    Remember, this must be done on each players computer
    How to play

To start the game
    The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script.

Playing your turn

To start your turn, load the quicksave file sent to you by the last player.
    Each player must run the script at the start of every turn.

To do this:
    • Press F1
    • The shortcuts scroll will appear
    • Press the (?) button in the top right hand corner of the scroll which appears
    • The Advisor will appear giving you advice on the scroll, ignore this, and press the Show me how button.
    The script will then be running, you can close the advisor and the scroll.
    Play your turn as you like. I advise you to make it a rule to auto-resolve all battles as playing them will give you an unfair advantage over the opponent, who will be controlled by the AI.

End your turn as you normally would.

At the end of your turn, your screen will lock, the UI will be hidden and a message will appear saying "save successful".

1. If you are playing Hot Seat (several players on one computer)
    • Press CTRL + L
    • The next player should wait for the game to load, then start his/her turn by running the script...
    1. If you are playing Play by Email Multiplayer
    • Quit the game and send the Quicksave.sav file found in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\saves to the next player
    • The next player should load this file and start his/her turn by running the script...

Notes:

Potential Problems
    The script included here is fully functional and will allow you to play MP. However, there are a couple of uncertain points. This mod was never fully completed and there hasn't been any testing on certain aspects of the game. Therefore, watch out for these areas when playing, and if you find some odd behavior, please report it back here.

1. Messages and Annoucements

Usually at the start of your turn, a series of messages and announcements will slide down the left hand side of the screen (announcing births, plagues etc).
    Unfortunately because of the way this script works, this has been disabled.

The effect of this on gameplay
    : If a general dies, it won't be announced. Check your generals and govenors.

2. Local player decisions: Diplomacy, Stand/Retreat, etc

The way this script works is it changes which faction the game thinks the user controls. When it arrives (in the turn order) at the start of the next players turn it switches control.

However, not all the decisions you make in game are made during your turn. For example, if an AI faction attacks you, you usually must decide to fight or flee. If the AI attacks player 1's army, but the computer still thinks you are player 2 (i.e. after player 2's turn), the AI will make the decision to stand or fight on behalf of player 1. Similarly with diplomacy. The AI may accept or refuse an alliance on your behalf.

Remember, this won't always happen. If the AI faction has its turn directly after yours for example, you will still be the official local faction and will be allowed to choose yourself.

The effect of this on gameplay
    : Always check your diplomacy at the start of your turn. Always check your armies at the start of your turn.

3. Senate Missions

Test seem to indicate that no senate missions are offered after the first senate mission offered to any of the roman players.

House Rules and Gameplay Notes:

There are no prescribed house rules, however here are some which you should consider:

• Battles against the AI: You may wish to make it a rule that all battles must be auto resoved, or that battles against the AI can be fought by the player. However, I strongly suggest that battles between players be autoresolved. Any other form of play is unfairly biased against the defender.
    • "Unoffical" Alliances: Remember to consider the fact that a diplomacy between players is now unlimited. Secret deals can be made to attack one player, possibly in exchange for a city or a pile of gold. Remember though that backstabbing may earn you a reputation.
    Finally:
    I hope sombody finds this fun.
    If anyone wants to expand on this or use it in a mod, please contact me first, but I'll certainly say yes

Edit: Helps if I include the download link

Myrddraal
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 06-12-2006 at 22:57.

Default Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Edit: Thanks to UltraWar's testing, this post is no longer necessary, the above download works as expected. The original post (which is no longer relevant) is in the spoiler tags below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    VERY IMPORTANT

I think this may be the wrong version of the script generator. I don't have a copy of RTW availiable at the moment. If someone would be willing to do a quick test for me I would appreciate it very much.

Please generate a simple hot seat game and play a couple of turns. Things to look out for:

• Are the units you moved in your last turn exactly where where you left them.
    • Do the AI factions only have one turn every time you press End Turn

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 05-21-2006 at 19:40.

Nobody willing to even test it?

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

I'll test it now that i've found this thread

I have all the time in the world to test it.

Will there be a Email Multiplayer Campaign going to be launched soon?
    If so i would like to be Pontus/Carthage/Thrace

Cheers

I have the other version ready to upload here, I'm just not sure which is the working one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Cheers

I have the other version ready to upload here, I'm just not sure which is the working one. Thanks
    No problem

I have a problem with the script as the game CTD's when i get past the game information screen... i think the script isn't working right....

What version of RTW does they script need to run?

Edit: Downloaded the MP Multiplayer Script - Thanks Myrddral!

No he is not loosing money but his settings changed back after loading his new turn. Example: Turn 1(my friend): he's setting the bills up in Memphis. Ends his round.
    turn 1 (me): Im playing whatever.
    turn 2 (my friend):he's checking his cities and the bills in memphis are setted low again.

He gets the money as normal as every time but it is very unpleasent (don't know a better word) to change the bills in 20 regions every round because sometimes he just forgott something or it costs a lot of time.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "setting up the bills" K(n)ackzwerg...

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "setting up the bills" K(n)ackzwerg...
    I think he means "taxes"

DOH! I don't want to make you scared! ;-)
    Yes I meant the taxes. Sorry.
    Oo

great stuff, thank you alot for making this, seems to be working fine for me with blue lotus, will give it a proper test this weekend.
    one issue i noticed on install like someone was saying the help thing can seem to not appear after clicking the question mark in the top right corner, it took me a while to figure it out but this still happens before any steps have been taken with the multiplayer process, it seemed to be something to do with the patching process to me, i reinstalled rome made a copy of the folder, patched to 1.5 then ran it and tryed clicking the question mark and still no help appeared, so i tryed running a unpatched copyed version and this ran the help as it should, so i then did the steps above again but on the unpatched version this time and it all worked, when i clicked the questionmark the help appeared and the rest from there worked fine. (thats the best i can explain it sry) (also blue lotus requires patch 1.5 but i had no problems with the help not apearing with that)

Hi!
    I got a question, how do I make some factions AI-controlled?

*bump*

No one can help me?

Joohoo, when you run the script how many players are you choosing?

I have another weird problem, on about the 3rd or 4th turn, after hitting end turn instead of the AI just playing through like the last 3 turns and showing "Save successfull" it just pauses on an AI faction and refuses to move.

I am playing as Seleucids and my brother is Macedon, him going first as in the desc file.

It worked fine for the last 3 turns but now it just pauses and won't continue.

Awsome job anyway.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Digital Pariah, its great to hear that you're enjoying the mod

I'm enjoying it, too. We have a three person campaign going on right now. We're on turn 25, I think. It's much better than just playing with the AI all day. This is a GREAT mod!

That's good to hear. I wonder how many people are using this mod. I honestly have no idea...

Hi I'm trying to play the mod with BI 1.6 hotseat

I have done the installation, now I run the enscript...when I don't understand when I have to start campaign greets

That's good to hear. I wonder how many people are using this mod. I honestly have no idea...
    Heh, group of EU2 players have been playing it for over a year. There is about 7-8 of us, and we are using following nations: Rome, Carthage, Macedons, Seleucids, Egypt, Armenia (that's me), Thrace, Scythia, Germania, Britons, Spain. Some nations in the list are dual kingdoms (like Thrace/Scythia) or Seleucids/Egypt after my expansion against both of them (I am Armenia). It's pretty good, we play most of our PvP battles using battle system (we take screenshots of the battle screens and then implement them in MP). This requires some commitment from players as well as no cheating but so far it was good.

Only issue we have is keeping the activity up, the campaign is a long one so we changed number of players. Some nations suffered because of it. So far we have probably made about 40 turns in a year. Not ground breaking speed but it's going forward. At first we were very concerned over ability to keep it running :).

Right now we are probably starting new campaign on the side, with proven players (only 5 of us most likely) and using a mod. This looks promising :).

Thanks for your mod, it really did make some things possible. I only wish if they would implement real MP campaign capability, PBEM or something. It would make the game that much better.

Im useing a windows vista with al the stupid security settings and warnings and every time i use the scrip generator, it dosnt generate it in C:
    and i cant find it anywhere else. It might be because of security. Does anyone know how to fix?
    Thx in advance
    -ArmoHawk

Sorry I've lost the code for that generator a long while ago..

I don't quite understand why it doesn't work though...

I'm using RTW Gold (Vanilla+BI) with Rome Total Realism Mod.

I've started new game with romans (in RTR there's only one roman faction - in data files as romans_julii).
    I've generated script for 2 players romans_julii, macedon
    Script looks good - there isn't any misspeling and its finely divided into two parts (I suppose it's like it should be)
    The rest is done like in tutorial

(note: RTR has different descr_strat.txt file - the original isn't overwritten. I've used the faction order of RTR's file)

After I click help button in shortcut scroll the game dies. The window just disappears (with no - even instant - instability).

Is there any chance for me to run Multiplayer on my moded Rome, or do I have to chose between Realism and Multiplayer?

Hello,

I have a question to you, because the srcipt generator doesnt work. He doesnt make a file in C so i could not play. Or I make something wrong? Could you help me please? Than you.

Sry for my bad English...

Sgt.Feldsau

Hello Myrddraal. Thanks for looking this up.
    I tried the script generator, with the romans_julii, greek_cities and Egypt, and it creates a script on my harddrive ( C:).
    Where do I need to place this text? Just leave it on C, or do I place it inside the Rome -folder?
    Then I start the game, but I can only select one faction to play with. So i start this campaign, but I can only play as the romans. The advisor doesn't pop up when I press the ? -on the help scroll.
    Thanks.

Hi there lsteve,

It's not enough to run the script generator. You also need to follow the instructions in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876

Myrddraal

Default AW: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

lol i know it's stupid to ask now because this trhead is very old but i make all how it's wirrten by you but when i press f1 and click on the (?) nothing happend... i just want to play with my friends with your awesome mod a campaign :D can anyone tell me a way out of this? *sry for my bad english

*i really did all how the discreption says..

Default AW: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Sorry for a new post but i cant edit my old as junior member :D

but now i have a much bigger problem now i cant play a simple online game.. everytime this comes: Anschließen an Spioel gescheiter (GS) i googlet it but nothing pas really.. i use Gold VErsion so there are no patches.. help please only you can correct my stupid fails to play with HotSeat Mod

Please help..
    After i downloaded the generator file , and i start running the generator exe file it says that the file version is not compatible with the version of windows you're running, and blablabla..
    I have a windows 7 64 bit home basic..

How to i fix this??.. please
    And thankx..
    :)