Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Default Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

That makes sense.

Thumbs up Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Pariah
    Hi all,

I felt I had to post to say well done to Myrddraal on this mod, it gave myself and my friend a lot of fun last year. We used it to play hotseat and PBeM. Sadly we got to around 267BC and one of my friend's family members kept turning invisible or being in two places at once, then we started gettting CTD's. Was awesome fun while it lasted though.

Incidentally, we were playing as Scipii and Brutii and it worked fine up to that point so I don't understand why so many people are having problems with Roman factions...
    Just an "update", since the start of the year my friend and I have played a game with him as the Lombardi and me as the Franks (horde on horde action, lots of fun - he was in Rome very fast. lol) and currently we're playing a game where he is the Seleucid Empire (lucky wossname, elephants, legionaries, cataphracts and chariots!) and I'm Carthage (Yes I get elephants, but where are my beloved archers!?!?! )

In the Horde vs Horde game we had a minimal amount of family member cloning (just one or two, in very specific areas), we solved this by sending any and all copies and originals on suicide runs, preferably a bireme seeking out a big juicy pirate fleet. Then we just avoided the areas in future. We had NO CTD's this time either.

So far in the Seleucia vs Carthage game, the only quirk is that if he sent a unit (peasants certainly, don't know if other units work) west from Dumatha to Bostra they would gain a family member a turn or two along the road. This "magic spot" moved along the road to Bostra, then seemed to "disappear" (if it's already invisible, how can it disappear? ) but I have my suspicions that it returned...we're gearing up for major war against each other now so we're not sharing info as freely as we do in the early part of a campaign.

Just thought I'd put in my 2p worth to mention a couple of (manageable) bugs, and how we deal with them. I wish I could find a "magic family member generating spot"

Finally, thanks again for an awesome mod Myrddraal, it's still giving me heaps of fun!

I look forward to playing this,but i dont get how to instal or even how to activate it so il send a private message to the creator, and im too very glad someone has created something like this,me and my mates very thinking about it since 2004,cheers!

urospopadic, I responded to your questions in a private message.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Digital Pariah, its great to hear that you're enjoying the mod

I'm enjoying it, too. We have a three person campaign going on right now. We're on turn 25, I think. It's much better than just playing with the AI all day. This is a GREAT mod!

That's good to hear. I wonder how many people are using this mod. I honestly have no idea...

Hi I'm trying to play the mod with BI 1.6 hotseat

I have done the installation, now I run the enscript...when I don't understand when I have to start campaign greets

^ Can you explain further what your problem is? I don't understand.

I have done until here.

To start the game
    The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script.

WELL "On starting the campaign" is where you can choose your civs??

Playing your turn

To start your turn, load the quicksave file sent to you by the last player.
    Each player must run the script at the start of every turn.

To do this:

* Press F1
    * The shortcuts scroll will appear
    * Press the (?) button in the top right hand corner of the scroll which appears
    * The Advisor will appear giving you advice on the scroll, ignore this, and press the Show me how button.

I don't understand the beginning of this :S

THX
    Last edited by IamOdysseus; 09-04-2007 at 09:31.

^ I still don't understand what you're asking. You choose your factions when you generate the script.

Well, I'm just sending another Thank You to you, Myrddraal. I'm starting another campaign, based in twcenter, using your mod. We're going to make an AAR for it. Your mod is becoming increasingly popular on the TWC. :)

On start of the campaign is when the game loads. When the map first appears.

Thanks for the thanks SSJVegetaTrunks

Let me know if there are any intersting game summaries around.

Im useing a windows vista with al the stupid security settings and warnings and every time i use the scrip generator, it dosnt generate it in C:
    and i cant find it anywhere else. It might be because of security. Does anyone know how to fix?
    Thx in advance
    -ArmoHawk

Sorry I've lost the code for that generator a long while ago..

I don't quite understand why it doesn't work though...

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    That's good to hear. I wonder how many people are using this mod. I honestly have no idea...
    Heh, group of EU2 players have been playing it for over a year. There is about 7-8 of us, and we are using following nations: Rome, Carthage, Macedons, Seleucids, Egypt, Armenia (that's me), Thrace, Scythia, Germania, Britons, Spain. Some nations in the list are dual kingdoms (like Thrace/Scythia) or Seleucids/Egypt after my expansion against both of them (I am Armenia). It's pretty good, we play most of our PvP battles using battle system (we take screenshots of the battle screens and then implement them in MP). This requires some commitment from players as well as no cheating but so far it was good.

Only issue we have is keeping the activity up, the campaign is a long one so we changed number of players. Some nations suffered because of it. So far we have probably made about 40 turns in a year. Not ground breaking speed but it's going forward. At first we were very concerned over ability to keep it running :).

Right now we are probably starting new campaign on the side, with proven players (only 5 of us most likely) and using a mod. This looks promising :).

Thanks for your mod, it really did make some things possible. I only wish if they would implement real MP campaign capability, PBEM or something. It would make the game that much better.

Hi Guys!
    I have a big problem using this Mod.
    When i start a mp campaign using only two or three roman factions (i mean just a combination of julii, scipii and brutii without other nations), the hotseat mode works fine just for the first turn. In fact when last player ends his turn, after the "game saved" message, if you click CTRL+L or try do load quicksave by the menu, the game crashes to desktop.
    If I try to reload the quicksave restarting the game, i can play the turn normally, but the next player has the same problem with CTRL+L.Using one, two or three roman factions with one or more non-roman factions, I have not problems.
    I've read all this topic, but i didn't find the solution. I try to use -show_err but no error messages appears when game CDT.
    I'm playing with the 1.5 version of Rome (installed with Barbarian Invasion). NO other mods previously installed.
    The localization of the game is in italian language. This caused me a little problem first, 'cos the advisor has not localizated messages on my version when i select (?) after clicking F1. i resolved the problem using other pieces of AdviceThread into the Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread.
    Now the mod works fine except in the case I've explained above.
    Hope you can help me.
    Thank you

I heard there were problems when trying to play as Roman Factions (at least as multiple ones).

So if you're playing a multiplayer campaign and in the installation do you enter just the faction that you're going to play or everyones faction

Hi vergilius, I'm afraid I really don't know what causes the instability with the Roman factions. If reloading the game allows you to play on, then I can only suggest you keep doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Hi vergilius, I'm afraid I really don't know what causes the instability with the Roman factions. If reloading the game allows you to play on, then I can only suggest you keep doing that.
    Ok, thanks for your attention!
    I'll try to play it reloading the game..I will bring you my experience about that ;)

However let me thank you for this Mod ;)

Bye

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Sorry for digging up an old thread...

Have you found a way to PvP the battles yet? I've been using this for...ever...it actually introduced me to the .Org , but in all the time playing it the best PvP solutions ARE to auto-resolve or script out the battle casualties. The only problem with the second is i can't LAN a game with the exact number of units...we've been having a long process of using a third party of archers...

Basically, i want to thank you for this wonderful mod, and introducing me to the forums, but it would be nice if we could PvP
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Here were my plans for pvp:

An external program which reads the army details out of the savegame files. You then select the two armies which must fight and the program exports those armies and battle location as a historical battle.

How to read the results back from the historical battle into game is a bit trickier, perhaps generating a script which would spawn the the two resultant armies and rely on the players disbanding their two original armies. Or, if there was a way, edit the savegame file with the results of the battle (which might need to be entered by hand into some program)

All the generating bits aren't so hard, it's the reading and writing to the savefile which would be tricky. I tried to cooperate with a team which were already working on a MP system to read and write to savegames, but they weren't interested.

I won't be doing any more work on this mod, but if someone is interested in continuing the work, I'd be more than happy to discuss it with them.

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Thanks for replying so quickly, it's an old thread so I honestly didn't expect such a fast response!

But, as you have said, i already have a generic script that can be edited to spawn the battle results. I'm just not skilled enough to edit a savegame files, but the historical battles option sounds perfect...I will research it more and, hopefully, we can discuss it.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

any time

well i dont suppose that anyone has ever figured out the "roman crash" same thing happens to me when i try to play more than 1 roman faction. at the end of the last players turn the game crashes. guess were stuck with just trying to play it by continously reloading the game and loading the autosave.

LET ME START BY SAYING amazing mod mYDRAAL I LOVE THIS GAME AND LOVE PLAYING MULTIPLAYER WQID FAM AND FRIENDS U MAKE DREAMS TRUE.

Now i was wondering if you were possibly working on a Medeival total war 2 multi camp cos hat wud rock to. plz get back to me thnx.

Two of us just started a game, and thanks, Myrdaal, for your work on this mod that I know we were going to enjoy tremendously, as PBEM is our most common mode of gaming these days.

I have two quick questions for whomever still visits here, and a minor observation. As the host of my game, I know I picked the Julii and Seleucid factions (with myself as the Julii). But after my first turn, I found I was the Scipii instead. I don't really mind this, as I would rather have Sicily, but could this possibly be because my opponent had, when setting up the macro, selected Scipii? And a corollary question -- since we will soon begin a three-player game -- is does each player have to go through the setup routine, in which the factions are entered in proper turn order, or just the host?

My observation is sort of a question too, I guess. We have discovered that each time a turn begins, every city is set to auto-manage, even though we have turned this option off in the game. This is not a huge annoyance, but is there any way to prevent it from being reset every turn?

Thanks very much!

@Remise

Only one person has to run the generator, but then they should send the generated files to all players.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the auto-manage problem.

@LOTE

I believe there's a hot seat option already provided with M2TW.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast