Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: New forum game "Mafia" [Concluded]

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default Re: New forum game "Mafia"

Here are two things that I feel would make the next game more interesting:

1. Players would be able to send a PM to GeneralHankerchief saying exactly why they should be a mafiosi. GeneralHankerchief would then choose the best ones and use them as the mafia. This way, we can suspect a) who is the most eager and b) who can write the best persuasive argument etc. etc.

2. Players should get to choose how they kill their targets, too. This way it is more strategic for the mafia but the people have to be more deductive (death by overdose of soy sauce: "Lehesu?" "Surely, it can't be." "He must have been framed!" "Maybe that's what he wants us to think!" etc. etc.)

I think these would both make the game more interesting.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Good idea Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting ideas.

Not too sure about 1, but I'm definitely thinking about implanting 2. It's sort of already happened- Kage requested DW be killed with a katana.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have not read the final report of what happened between Divine Wind and Kagemusha please go back a page to see. For those who have: I present my write-up (long).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What now follows is a rundown of the entire game from my (the game organizer and overseer) point of view. I’ve been itching to post this for a while, especially after the events near the end. This post is long, but informative if you wish to know exactly how the game went. For the most part, I held off with the commentary on your reactions/kills/votes, but I have it all here.

After I closed the game to any new participants, I determined that there would be 2 mafiosi and one execution per session, in order to give both sides an equal chance. While I was hoping for more players, I realized that that having four people in the mafia would end the game pretty quickly. After writing each player’s post number down, I put them all into a hat. Out came 18 and 5, the numbers corresponding to Kagemusha and Shadows. I had my mafia. Immediately Mithrandir committed seppuku, perhaps not wanting to be a redshirt like some of the other mods mentioned.

It was now time for the kills. I admit I was expecting BKS to go, but when I received the PMs I was surprised. Shadows in many of his PMs gave a reason for the killing. He selected UltraWar, saying that the two knew each other and that UW would probably suspect him. Kagemusha chose Wonderland and gave no comment. The villagers then proceeded to execute Alexander the Pretty Good. Around this time Discovery1 began his persecution of Ice, in what would produce some hilarious quotes.

Ideally, I wanted the first Mafioso to be executed around the time when about half the original players were still alive. However, Shadows placed himself in grave danger by selecting Dutch_guy, who had named him in the first session of voting. Kagemusha picked diablodelmar and gave no reason, as usual. The villagers picked up on Dutch_guy’s murder, as well as Shadows’ suspicious-sounding name, and went after him. He escaped by only one vote, with Lemur as the sacrificial lamb (Hate to tell you Lemur, but your post asking whether anyone had any strategies probably doomed you).

Shadows wised up and instead of selecting somebody who had named him in the last round, went with a safe pick and went after SSNeoperestroika. Kagemusha selected Hiji. However, Shadows’ safe pick didn’t seem to be enough, since he was still in danger of being executed. This was one of the several times that to two mafiosi aligned in order to save themselves. Shadows again escaped by one vote, setting up a revote between Lehesu and Peasant Phill (Phill, my apologies for spelling it with one L in the game ). Phill got executed 7-6.

Kagemusha was in a pretty good position right now, having not been suspected at all. He picked Craterus to go in the next round. Shadows still had to be careful, however, and selected Tiberius. Because one mafioso was getting off clean and another was barely getting off at all, I tried to make their kills reflect that. Up until Crazed Rabbit named him in Session 6, Kage had a very stealthy way of killing his victims. This was in contrast with Shadows’ style, which was more out in the open. Poor Lehesu was unanimously executed, making Shadows the living person with the most votes. Since he got off clean in the last session, I was expecting Session 5 to be wide open, much like Sessions 1 and 2 were.

However, here began a streak of sessions that were probably influenced by comments (including mine) and marred by stoppages, including headaches and revotes. First, King Henry V posted what I had been thinking for a while now: How the heck was BKS still in this? When Bar Kochba (Shadows) and Zalmoxis (Kagemusha, after a long wait. –I was half-telling the truth about the big headache in order to cover for him) were the next to die, people immediately started naming BKS as the killer (By the way guys, BKS did accuse a few people in the beginning). However, thanks to Discovery1, people soon started naming Ice and it was a 4-4 tie (Also by the way, a reason for naming Ice is that he wasn’t that active, but if anyone bothered to check his user profile they would have seen that he hadn’t been on for ten days, thus proving him innocent). During the original tiebreaker of “whoever hasn’t voted yet vote now, first one wins” I figured that since BKS had mod duties, Ice was wherever, and Rythmic was currently dealing with a family situation in real life nobody else would vote so I re-opened voting up to everybody. Alexanderofmacedon cast the deciding vote for BKS, and the long Session 5 was over.

After discovery1 had made a beautiful rant about Ice still being alive, I made the mistake of finally commenting on the game. Mainly, Disco probably showed everyone that Ice was innocent because he himself was still alive. Shadows capitalized on that, explaining to me in his kill selection of Disco:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows PM (reposted with permission)
    it appears to me that Ice will most likely garner the blame, so discoovery1 is my next victim.
    Meanwhile, Kagemusha picked littlelostboy, in a selection that was widely ignored by everybody thanks to the death of Disco. Some people (Crazed Rabbit and Uesugi Kenshin) had him pegged as Disco’s killer, but they were only half-right. Anyway, it was all moot since Ice was sent to the execution room. It was at this point where I decided to shake things up a bit, since there were six people left (thanks to Rythmic asking me to leave him out, which I agreed) and two of them were in the mafia. The “note” in Ice’s execution post was just there for dramatic effect. However, the “master plan” part was based off of a couple of PMs Kagemusha sent me when it became clear that he would get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha PMs (edited together, reposted with permission)
    It seems i will barely survive.But it also seems that after Ice is gone and we put two Orgahs out of their misery with Shadows there are only two Villagers and two Mafiosos left in the game.
    Here is my devious plan for the end game.I havent got yet confirmation from Shadows that he agrees but i sure hope so.

If i survive this round like it looks like.Lets Kill Grazed Rabbit and Uesugi Kenshin and blame AlexanderofMacedon.That way we will win the game and stay alive both.What do you think?
    While he left out Divine Wind, the plan was still flawless. I, however, didn’t want the game’s finish to be that anticlimactic, so I started manipulating things a little bit in order to achieve an exciting end. First I decided that the next execution would be a double execution, in order to give the villagers a chance. Nobody would be aware of this until I publicly made the announcement. Then, I PM’d the remaining four innocent players, one-by-one (I think you can’t see who the other recipients are in a mass PM but I wanted to make sure), and made them do a little detective work.

Quote Originally Posted by My PM to Alexanderofmacedon, Divine Wind, Crazed Rabbit, and Uesugi Kenshin
    Do not reply to this message. Do not mention this message to anyone, anywhere. In it contains clues for the identity of the remaining mafia players. Yes, there are still two left. But the tables are about to be turned.

-Four of you are innocents.

-One of you did not vote in Session 1.

-You four votes were split in two ways in Session 2.

-Only one of you voted for Peasant Phill in Session 3 (non-tiebreaker). None of the four of your votes were for a mafioso in the same session, however a mafioso did receive at least one vote during that session.

-Two of you voted for both people who were eventually executed in the last two sessions.

-The other two of you were the only two who voted for both mafiosi at some point in the game.

-One of you voted for Zalmoxis before he was killed.

Use this information wisely, and the Frontroom may yet be saved. I have one more surprise in store. Once again, please do not reply to or mention this message at all. Thanks.

General Hankerchief
    With a little snooping the previous pages of the thread (as well as putting some things together, I didn’t want to make it that easy), our four innocents could figure out who else was innocent, thus leading them, by process of elimination, to the two killers. The mafia knew nothing about this. For the first time in the entire game, Kagemusha and Shadows were in the dark.

I was on when Crazed Rabbit got his copy of the PM. Judging by how his “last activity” was on the Mafia board (the times even kept being updated!) for at least half an hour he was taking it seriously. Also judging by post #263, where he passionately called for the execution of Kage (and also he said he thought Shadows was the other one) it was time well spent. However, Rabbit couldn’t actually vote in that round, seeing as he was killed by Kagemusha (He and Uesugi Kenshin, who was killed by Shadows, were the only two people to have voted for Kage in the entire game). This is when I dropped the bomb about the double execution. Surprisingly, everyone took it in stride. I didn’t even get a hint of a complaint from either of the mafia.

Then something happened that I figured would but hoped it wouldn’t. Four-way tie. The mafia, of course, stuck together and the two innocents successfully deducted who the mafiosi were. I realized that a revote would be useless, and didn’t want Beirut, who wasn’t even playing, to cast the deciding votes. In the show Survivor, when there are two people left and one has to be the winner, the host brings out those who were previously voted off to determine the winner. I eventually came to the conclusion that this is what I had to do, and thus, I brought back the dead for one last vote. Surprisingly, it was pretty tight. After Rabbit and Kenshin conveniently both died after naming Kagemusha, I figured that the dead would heed Rabbit’s advice and take out Kage and Shadows by a large margin. However, the vote was split three ways, between the mafiosi and Alexanderofmacedon (Divine Wind only received one vote aside from the mafia’s). In the end Shadows was finally executed but Kage somehow survived, having Alexanderofmacedon executed instead of him.

Finally, it was over. I posted the last kill (Divine Wind, beheaded by a katana as Kage requested) and the final list.

I’d like to thank everyone who showed an interest in the game, whether it be by participating or whether you came later and just showed support. You guys (and some hilarious quotes) made it the way it was. I’d also like to thank our mafia, Shadows and Kagemusha for always being present. If I had selected someone like Bar Kochba, who got teh ban shortly after the game started and never once posted again, or Ice, who mysteriously disappeared halfway through, the game pretty much would have died. This mafia was devious, collaborating together on kills and votes, as well as active. If it wasn’t for my meddling near the end they might have swept, claiming a total victory.

As previously stated, I’m going to take a couple of days off before I start a second game. Anyone interested can post in the new thread when the time comes. I had fun with this, and I hope you all had fun too. Thanks.

General Hankerchief
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Hope you have a nice time off General see you in a couple of days.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Argh, I'm sorry everyone.

If I looked back and checked for clues... my votes would have made it a civilian victory.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Firstly, id like to say a very big well done too GeneralHankerChief. Excellent write-ups, and lots of fun. Thanks for all the effort!

Second, congrats to Kagemusha! You played an excellent game, along with Shadows of course, but when i received the hint PM of GHC, it was too obvious that you and Shadows were the Mafia chaps!

Oh and thanks for the death by Katana.

A true and honorable death for a Samurai

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind
    Shadows of course
    More like Shadows of
    Corpse

I crack myself up

Slain by mafia-implanted bombs Member littlelostboy's Avatar

That was an excellent game GH! Good write up too! If only I had paid attention to the clues....
    My name is Asinius Commodus, son of the Eagle.

Fellow of the Seven Legendary Writers (but got kicked out)

KoW: Erm, LLB, Asinus means 'ass' in Latin
    LLB: Really? All the better for a story of how an ass became a great leader is alwasy a bestseller.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

The dead were stupid enough not to take your advice and take down Alexanderofmacedon instead
    That's why the dead don't talk

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Amazing! More! More! More! I heartily support allowing mafiosos to choose the manner of their victims death, too.

I was playing from sheer spite. I took out the guys that voted for me...
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First off, a very hearty congrats and thanks to GeneralHankerchief, for a most interesting and awesome time.

And, a somewhat reluctant congrats to Kagemusha. Personally, I thought that after I got killed after naming you, and after going after you full throttle with that one post, people would definately get you, if not shadows. Alas Lehesu, that vindicative King of Soy, had to go and ruin it all (along with a bunch of other dead people!). (Poor AoM)

But even with my posts urging your execution, you survived. I will confess, when I named you as mafia after Rythmic dropped out, I was pretty much just shootting in the wind. But then I got the PM, and immediately devoted myself to solving it.
    Here's a word doc I used:

Shadows (MAFIA)
    · Voted in 1st session
    · Voted Lemur 2nd session
    · Voted Peasant Phil 3rd session
    · Received a vote during 3rd session!
    · Voted Ice in almost last session
    · Voted Ice in last session

Crazed Rabbit (Villager)
    · Voted in 1st session
    · Voted Shadows 2nd session
    · Voted Lehesu 3rd session
    · Voted BKS in almost last session
    · Voted Kagemusha in last session
    · Voted for Shadows & Kage

Uesugi Kenshin (If Kage is mafia, he is not (probably))
    · Voted in 1st session
    · Voted Shadows 2nd session
    · Received a vote during 3rd session!
    · Voted Ice in almost last session
    · Voted Kagemusha in last session
    · Voted for Shadows & Kage

Kagemusha (MAFIA)
    · Voted in 1st session
    · Did not vote in almost last session

Divine Wind (villager)
    · Voted in 1st session

Alexanderofmacedon (Villager)
    · DID NOT vote in 1st session
    · Voted Lemur in 2nd session

All for naught, unfortunately. But the rabbits are still after you, Kagemusha, and one day you will have to refuel your steamroller!

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

ARG!!!

Kagemusha I knew it was you!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Oh, and next time shoot me in the face not the back!!!

PANSY!

(I mean no offense by this, really...)
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Thank you GeneralHankerchief and all the others specially my Mafioso friend Shadows!This was a great game.Why i suggested Kenshin and Rabbit to die after they suggested me was that i believed some of you would think that i was framed.I think it was luck that i survived after GeneralHankerchief messed up my plan with the double execution.But here i am still alive.It was pleasure doing deadly business with you guys!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

A letter is found on the floor, and upon opening it, Kagemusha reads:

Mister Kagemusha,

I believe you now owe the Backroom, Kingdom of War and Love, an outstanding sum of $1,000.00 for all the weapons and ammunition purchased over the last week or so. Thank you for your time, and we hope to do business again.

Regards, ceasar, gunmaster
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Once more, well written and highly enjoyable GHC.

thanks
    Abandon all hope.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Ah so I finally know who killed me....although judging by GeneralHankerchief's final write-up I could have known it for a longer time.

Great final summarization GeneralHankerchief, looking forward to the next Mafia game !

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

yes and ill be in this time!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Day breaks in the Frontroom. All is quiet.

The final two villagers left, Divine Wind and Kagemusha, met in the town's center square. The meeting was just unplanned, it just kind of happened. But they waved to each other and started talking.

"So. That was some vote last night, huh?" Divine Wind took a brave stab at starting a conversation. Kage took it in stride, however.

"Easy for you to say, Mister I-only-got-three-votes."

DW laughed at this. "We need to bring in some women from the Babe Thread to repopulate this place." Kage just chuckled and DW went on. "Hey... I know we both voted for each other, but I'm sorry about that. What's important now is that the mafiosi were executed. It's just us now."

Kage nodded. "And I'm sorry I voted for you too. I just felt like I needed to protect myself.

"I really thought you were a mafioso but you changed my mind. Come on, let's go get some beers."

"Yeah, but we'll have to pour 'em ourselves." They both laughed and headed out of the town square.

After a few seconds, however, Divine Wind stopped walking. There was no real explanation for this, aside from the fact that Kagemusha had taken out a giant katana and was looking threateningly at him.

DW turned around. "Wha- wha-?"

"You were right the first time." In one big slice, Kagemusha, a mafioso, then proceeded to separate DW's head from his body. Dumbfounded, he never had a chance. Kage then wiped off his katana and continued talking as he walked away.

"You almost had me. All four of you innocents pegged me and Shadows -correctly, too- as mafiosi. But it still wasn't enough. The dead were stupid enough not to take your advice and take down Alexanderofmacedon instead. I admit it got a little hairy for a minute there, but this was still the easiest assignment I've ever had. See you losers in the next life."

Some time later, Chief of Police Beirut came upon the body of Divine Wind. Seeing a souped-up steamroller driving off in the distance, he realized that the Kingdom of Peace and Love was no more.

Here is the final status list:

Still alive:
    Kagemusha

Committed seppuku:
    Mithrandir

Killed:
    UltraWar
    Wonderland
    Dutch_guy
    diablodelmar
    Hiji
    SSNeoperestroika
    Craterus
    Tiberius
    Bar Kochba
    Zalmoxis
    littlelostboy
    discovery1
    Crazed Rabbit
    Uesugi Kenshin
    Divine Wind

Executed:
    Alexander the Pretty Good
    Lemur
    Peasant Phil
    Lehesu
    Big King Sanctaphrax
    Ice
    Alexanderofmacedon
    Shadows

Result: MAFIA VICTORY
    hey i didnt read this! i was right it was Shadows!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and Kagemusha)

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

So... when'll the next Mafia start?
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Slain by mafia-implanted bombs Member littlelostboy's Avatar

how about having a monopoly game at the same time?
    My name is Asinius Commodus, son of the Eagle.

Fellow of the Seven Legendary Writers (but got kicked out)

KoW: Erm, LLB, Asinus means 'ass' in Latin
    LLB: Really? All the better for a story of how an ass became a great leader is alwasy a bestseller.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littlelostboy
    how about having a monopoly game at the same time?
    Sounds good

Blog Entries

Thank you for the kind words.

A new game has begun.

Mods, feel free to lock this.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112