Thread: how to promote a captain.

Default how to promote a captain.

I have one Roman captain, who have won four heroic victories and remained as a captain and fight bravely .

I have one babarian unit that accidentally became the captain of a bunch of high-valor Roman units (two or three chevrons), and won a heroic but dead easy battle against the Gaul King and his body guards (only). He got promotion to the general and family member with three stars !!!

If there is a Labor Board in the RTW, I will file complain for the poor Roman captain. It is unfair to him.

My question is, how to promote a captain? How do I observe which one has the virtue to be a general so that I can send him to battlefields?

I only wish there is an option that player can promote qualified captains to general or family member every three or four turns.

Now I am short of generals and some of my old generals must toil away running among different cities to manage them!

Default Re: how to promote a captain.

i only know one way win as many battles as you can.
    btw welcome to the org!!!

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Welcome to the org! I often have trouble with this sort of thing too, but unfortunetly I don't think it can be helped.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leoku
    and won a heroic but dead easy battle against the Gaul King and his body guards (only). He got promotion to the general and family member with three stars
    That's about it. If you want more family members, send some captains out rebel hunting. Make sure not to kill any of your own guys (basically use a ton of archers and then chase 'em with the cavalry once the arrows are out). Usually a victory without ANY losses on your side will be "Heroic" and net your captain a position into the royal family.

Welcome to the Org!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    That's about it. If you want more family members, send some captains out rebel hunting. Make sure not to kill any of your own guys (basically use a ton of archers and then chase 'em with the cavalry once the arrows are out). Usually a victory without ANY losses on your side will be "Heroic" and net your captain a position into the royal family.

Welcome to the Org!
    One thing that I notice is that, in all of the promotions in my campaign, almost all the promoted, luck generals have one virtue "being in the battle" in the general's promotion dialog. What on earth does that mean?

Does the captain need to physically join the fight and not stay at the sideline? My poor roman captain almost join the fights in every battles, but I have to admit, he joins the fight at later stage of the battle, does this affect his chance?

Based on this assumption, the best way is to send captains to challenge enemy generals with one or two stars (never exceeds three) with numeric superiority of experienced units. Am I right? It takes quite a few excellent battles with my own generals to create experienced units before I am able to dispatch a captain.

The resources of Julii simply cannot afford such luxury.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Welcome to the ORG.

Nice first post
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hi

Gaining a new general via promotion of captain via 'Man of the Hour' (MotH) is nothing to do with how many battles, how won, or casualties.

MotH is to do with the relationship between how many generals/governors you already have and the number of regions you control.

Expand rapidly with a low rate of 'coming of age' and you will see MotH on almost every captain led battle. I have had 4 in one turn after a particulary rapid expansion on 5 regions captured. I am currently capturing 2 regions a turn and try to pick the location/irder of captain led battles in order to take advantage of the MotH that I know will occur.

This relationship is not one to one but its quite close to it.

If you have expanded slow or have high coming of age/marriages then you will rarely see MotH.

Hope this works out for most players.

PS.
    The captain doesnt have to do anything in the fight itself.
    The quality of the MotH will be influenced by how good the victory was...Heroic tends to give you 4*+, clear victory 2*
    Last edited by Severous; 06-13-2006 at 06:53.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526