Thread: Res Gestae Total War - The Promethean Legions - Bugs and Problems report.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Default Res Gestae Total War - The Promethean Legions - Bugs and Problems report.

The Official Problems and bugs Thread for the first release of Res Gestae - the Promethean Legions:

Marcvs

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Default Re: Res Gestae Total War - The Promethean Legions - Bugs and Problems report.

Like I've said before, Res Gestae crashes to desktop or freezes whenever I try to fight a battle. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Res Gestae onto a blank, non-modded Data folder twice already. While the Imperial Campaign loads now, every time that I try to go into a battle it crashes or freezes on the loading screen.

When it crashes, it tells me that I'm missing a CAS file of some sort. One of them is:

Error: Filename doesn't exist: data/models_unit/Prome_new_mount_horsesFourSaddle_high.cas

Or another one I've had is something about "early_lesser_general" so I figured that must be something to do with an early Roman captain.

And when it freezes, well, it freezes. All I can do at that point is turn off and reboot my computer.

I'm not sure what to do. Someone told me to completely uninstall RTW and delete the Activision folder and then reinstall it 1.1, 1.3, and 1.5 all over again before reinstalling Res Gestae.

But before I try that I'd really like to know why I'm seeing these stupid CAS file alerts - I think all the CAS files are there!

Default Re: Res Gestae Total War - The Promethean Legions - Bugs and Problems report.

Becouse probably the cas files have finished somewhere else , may be u wronged the path in installation or u did something that aborted this part of the installation u need to remove it all or get a free version of RTW unmodded and install the mod , follow exactly the ionstructions and wait untill it is complete , about the freezes be sure that u activated the script or it will freeze the game .

Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

I uninstalled Res Gestae, uninstalled RTW, and deleted the Activision folder.

I reinstalled RTW, then the 1.3 patch, and finally the 1.5 patch.

Then I installed Res Gestae.

Same problems. It freezes right before the battle loads. Sometimes with the .CAS messages.

I'm starting to think that maybe those Res Gestae CAS (and possibly DDS?) files didn't get installed correctly. I'm not sure what I can do.

I did a search for the files by name. I searched for "data/models_unit/Prome_new_mount_horsesFourSaddle_high.cas" and it said that it couldn't find it on the C drive.

Is there a step in the installation process of Res Gestae that I may have missed? I seemed to do everything right; I downloaded it, and went through the entire process. I'm so confused!!

*edit* I've noticed that while the export_descr_unit file has all of the file names of the new units, the Data/models_unit folder does not have any of the new Res Gestae files. I searched the whole computer for those files: they couldn't be found in the C drive!

I've also noticed in models_unit folder that there are some units with a .rum ending. Is that part of the vanilla game, or was that added in by you, Prometheus? I'm not sure if that's relevant, but it did stand out to me.

Anyhow, yes, what should I do about those files?
    Last edited by Naja; 06-24-2006 at 06:06.

I need to let you answer this from the autoinstallers guys , I am not familiar with this part since it is not a problem related to the mod itself but the installing way , luckily enough you are the only one having this problem so it can be solved....

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Alright, so what must I do? Do I just have to wait for one of the autoinstaller people to respond?

1) be sure that you have completely uninstalled Rome the ifrst time .

2 ) you have a clean copy of RTW patched up to the 1.5

3) when you runned the installer you let it work in the proper directory ? You waited that it did all the work without interrupting ? some people said you have to keep pressing a Y or D to complete the install , but I haven't used it so I am not sure .... www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54126
    you can find eventually more questions and answers , if nothing works you must wait for one of they guys to get online and answer you there....
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 06-24-2006 at 08:43.

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

This may sound like a stupid question,but how do you install the mini patch?

just wait for the new installer, where you can select languages etc...

Congratulations to your release! I've found a minor problem with the equites auxiliarii skin.

The end spike of the lance doesn't appear in game, but is there in the skin, so perhaps there exis a slight texture mapping problem.

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 06-24-2006 at 09:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcvs Traianvs
    just wait for the new installer, where you can select languages etc...
    ok thanks

The model doesn't have a back spike so its not a bug.

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Turns out I didn't use the install_script. That cleared it up.

Languages don't work and i can't speak Italian.

there is a language folder , find your own and copy paste those files in the text folder ....

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Sometimes in battle, the officers lose their swords! The Roman Captains, Signifers, Aquilifers, and Vexillarii (but never the Centurions) have their swords dissapear in the middle of battle, and they just swing their arms at the enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    there is a language folder , find your own and copy paste those files in the text folder ....
    Tried it man, i've even tried deleting the other folders so only English is left but it is still in Italiano.

Quote Originally Posted by Naja
    Sometimes in battle, the officers lose their swords! The Roman Captains, Signifers, Aquilifers, and Vexillarii (but never the Centurions) have their swords dissapear in the middle of battle, and they just swing their arms at the enemy!
    Vanilla RTW did this, and every mod that exists it happens in so we can hardly call it a RG bug.

I've noticed that sometimes when any of my Legionary Cohort units charge another unit, that over time they start to turn so that their back is facing the enemy. I have to keep correcting this by turning the formation back to face the enemy. It's very annoying.

Thats a hardcoded RTW bug when units have hold formation turned on.
    To prevent it, either stop them so they hold position or take hold formation off.

Couple of bugs:
    Greek generals have a horse with black crest & black saddle.
    I expect this is just due to the original release being only for Roman units & also that the same issue will exist for other units that have not been updated yet.

Hastati (if not others) have issues with their swords, they have some strange distortion down the top side when held horizontally & the tip is also strangely distorted. Will post a screenshot when I get home from work.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Roman Funditores, when throwing stones with their slings, make the sound an archer unit makes when shooting arrows.

Remember that this mod is studied to be merged with following ones guys ...

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

While the Urban Cohorts can now fight with swords, their swords are transparent.

While I noticed the Urban Cohort change, what other changes did the 4th patch make, Prometheus?

Are you going to fix the Funditores problem, and the Centurion problem too?

And when do we get to see those extra-nice skies? ;)

stalin

most of the non roman new horses ( the ones with hats ) are missing their sprites, when zooming out the riders levitate. using patch 4d.

I've installed the mod and it works fine for me: well except that when I move the camera just before the enemy general is killed or any similair battle event (with the camera zooming in for a shot of the action) the game stops responding and when I try to quit by using the Task manager I get an system error saying that the video driver stopped working. Bad timing of mine I guess.

On the Installer: you will have to keep reading what it says to you - it really doesn't like to be left alone. After each pack has been unpacked, the apropiate files have been replaced it will repack the pack and this takes some time and you will need to manually activate this by pressing the apropiate key(s) - the installer tells you what key(s) to press. So it's just a matter of a good deal of patience and reading whatever it says to you.

On the language: if I'm not mistaken you will need not only to copy/paste the apropiate files in the language folder - the text folder will need some of them too. At least, that's what I did and I found the mod to be in perfect English execept for 'capitol' (should be 'capital') in the description of the Fields of Mars.

On the mini patch: this is again a matter of copying/pasting the apropiate files in the apropiate folders - these folders being models_unit and models_unit\textures both to be found in the data folder in your RTW folder. The patch I used came in RAR file format, so you will need a program that can handle this format. (Winzip can't.)

On the mod itself: I found out that the balance is a little, well, gone. I mean Hastati being nearly Vanilla Praetorians? Seeing that the units of non Roman factions haven't been altered, this makes the game a lot more difficult and gripping to play as Carthage - which is my first and current RG campaign. Also: the look and feel has been greatly improved by the new campaign map structure and character looks. Ships look like ships for example and not like those strange pieces we knew of before.

Hope you can all enjoy the mod now, and that other packs for other factions are available soon.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 07-05-2006 at 23:35.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Roman javelin units (Leves Auxiliaria, Antesignani, Velites) do not auto-fire properly. They throw the first volley, but stop firing after that. I have to manually tell them to fire for every volley!