Thread: Totalwar games on the Apple MacBook Pro

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Totalwar games on the Apple MacBook Pro

My life is now complete.

I have been an Apple user for some years now, with an aging Win PC uglying up the study for my beloved MTW and a few old games. When it became apparent that Apple was introducing Intel Core Duo chips into its new laptop line, I decided to invest in a new MacBook Pro. Just a week or so after buying, Apple produced the beta enabler Boot Camp, which allowed the MBP to boot into Windows XP as well as Mac OSX.

I sourced an OEM copy of Windows XP SP2 at a very reasonable rate, and this weekend had the chance to sit and install it. I thought I would share some tips in case anyone wants to follow suit.

You must upgrade your MBP firmware from the Apple site before starting and then download the Boot Camp software. This enabler will almost certainly be in the new release of OSX, Leopard, later in the year. I imagine because of the known hardware configuration, the install went flawlessly - once one thing was sorted out: unplug the Mighty Mouse if you have it, and ideally all USB peripherals save a keyboard. Bluetooth mice and keyboards won't work either, I understand. The reason for this, as I discovered, is that the MM particularly seems to disable the laptop keyboard, so XP will not respond in setup to keyboard commands - a bit of a downer. If, like me, you had never had to deal with a stuck CD before, you can eject it by holding the trackpad mouse button down at reboot.

Boot Camp partitions the drive easily - I chose 15 GB for the XP partition as I was planning to put games and games only on there. It prompts for a blank CD to write all the drivers to. Then you insert your XP disc (only SP2 will do) and away it goes. Just over one hour later, pop in the driver disc and it auto runs and installs all your drivers - the monitor suddenly looks gorgeous again, and Airport and Bluetooth work immediately. Being Windows, one has to go through the virus checker update and stuff as you would with a new install.

To switch between OS's hold the alt/option key at boot up. You can set the default OS in Control Panel (XP) or System Preferences (OSX).

First of all, I installed RTW. This was barely playable on my old PC and I wanted to see what it looked like for real. The install was straight and easy, and it looks lovely! Next MTW with VI and the XL mod.

MTW stalled on the first disc with an error message. Oh No! There was some problem with copying a file, which a suggestion on the Apothecary sorted out. Simply, I copied the first CD over to the hard drive and ran setup from there. The rest of the install went smoothly and now I have MTW running like a dream.

So I have the best of all worlds: A fantastic work computer running OSX with all its ease of use, security and portability, and a play partition with gorgeous graphics and MTW.

It's like Christmas!
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Totalwar games on the Apple MacBook Pro

If this solution had existed five years ago, I would never have bought or built a PC. It was the unavailability of Fallout or Shogun on the Mac side that drew me into the Microsoft Borgsphere.

Boo Apple.

Yay Microsoft.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    Yay Microsoft.
    Bash Apple all you like, nobody's going to give you any heat for it. But "Yay Microsoft"? That could get you tarred and feathered in plenty of Network Admin offices. Big fan of the Borg, are you?

Boo Apple.

Yay Microsoft.
    seconded.

You guys are freaking me out.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    If this solution had existed five years ago, I would never have bought or built a PC. It was the unavailability of Fallout or Shogun on the Mac side that drew me into the Microsoft Borgsphere.
    Uh-oh, I have a brother here.

Vault 15 welcomes you, vault dweller.

On Topic: In 3 weeks of my whole work life experience, I've seen that a Mac is a must for graphics design works. You open Corel Draw 12, double click an existing document, and if it is some rich document, you wait around 5 min. while opening and saving it.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I'm sorry, but Mac Lovers are pathetic.

"Ooh, look, i like Mac, because unlike Microsoft they're not a big horrible greedy company! Plus the computers look nice!"

Oh do be quiet. Mac is a small but still horrible greedy company. And in my opinion, the computers look awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by currywurry

"Ooh, look, i like Mac, because unlike Microsoft they're not a big horrible greedy company! Plus the computers look nice!"

Oh do be quiet. Mac is a small but still horrible greedy company. And in my opinion, the computers look awful.
    Thank you for your constructive contribution to the thread. I will take your views under advisement and review my IT policy and personal tastes urgently.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

There are a few apple users like this, and they do tend to be quite condescending, though to suggest that all apple users fit this gross generalisation is misinformed. What type of computer you use, it depends on what you're used to or what you've been exposed to combined with your type of occupation, I've been raised the MS DOS -> Win16 -> Win9x -> WinNT way so for it's difficult to adapt to a mac. Now that the latest Macs have Intel processors and the OS is now a type of Free/Net/OpenBSD UNIX, which many Linux/UNIX users are familiar with, it makes the mac much more accessible and viable.

More like there are a few who aren't. And the first computer I ever used was an 80's era Mac. But windows is better than Mac OS any day.

Bash Apple all you like, nobody's going to give you any heat for it. But "Yay Microsoft"? That could get you tarred and feathered in plenty of Network Admin offices. Big fan of the Borg, are you?
    If a network isn't based on linux the admins should be fired.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

You're conflating two separate issues. Let's break them down, shall we?

(1) Yon't like Macs or Mac users. Well, that's your business. Some people don't like men who wear brown shoes. No accounting for taste.

(2) People who dislike Microsoft are myopic. And here I would suggest you have a long heart to heart with your sysadmin. There's a reason large operations that require stability don't run on Microsoft software. There's a reason that network admins and sysadmins reserve a small, cold part of their hearts for hating Microsoft.

If you don't understand this geek anger, just move along, nothing to see here.

More like there are a few who aren't. And the first computer I ever used was an 80's era Mac. But windows is better than Mac OS any day.

If a network isn't based on linux the admins should be fired.
    Hmmm... well I admin two small networks, one based on Server 2003 and XP clients (9 machines and server), the other antique is on Netware with Win98 workstations and is due for (read "badly in need of") an upgrade (6 machines and server).

If I moved all of my XP clients onto Linux tomorrow, they may have just a little difficulty adjusting. They might also be wondering where their QuarkXpress, Photoshop, Illustrator and Coreldraw have gone to... then when they recieve files from customers in Mac or Windows formats that they can usually open or import without difficulty, they may start to get a little flustered at yours truly.

But never mind that, I can don my horn rimmed specs and tank top and explain that Linux is the best for them and that if I didn't change to Linux then I should be fired. Then tell them to get on with their design work using Openoffice and the Gimp...

Mac OSX is actually a BSD UNIX. Which is of the UNIX/Linux breed of OS's. So if Windows is better than MacOS and network admins that don't run their networks on Linux should be fired, what exactly is your point?
    Last edited by caravel; 07-11-2006 at 15:09.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Which is ironic as Mac is the ones who are their Programs on their OS on their Hardware and not really open to intergration. I say blame Mac for being so close minded that it created an MS dominated world.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Pape? It's Linus Torvalds on the phone, and he wants his free, stable operating system back ...

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Linux is an even better example of what is great about having a product that will work with more hardware rather then a monopolised subset.

Now why isn't it used in such abundance within corporations may be because of the fear of what is new or different. Because it isn't marketed as aggressively, suffers from a poor image, isn't easy to find preloaded, may require tinkering to load games, in a server environment it may require a rare (read expensive) skillset etc It is essentially not enough like a supermarket item for the mass consumer. It has a niche similar to that of overclocking and PC modding... which is getting more mainstream everday as evidenced by ASUS latest case the 3600. Linux will eventually acquire a larger portion of the market, but it will rely on word of mouth and manufacturers finding a profitable use.

I have nothing against Linux, I have either used high end Sun Systems or MS PCs. MS covers low end applications nicely and is the GUI of choice as it is so widely spread. As an IT professional I find it is best to have a wide skill base coupled with a couple of specialities. MS covers a wide part of the market so is a good one to fall back on. My specialities lie in Telephony servers and my future training is in VoIP (Cisco flavoured).
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Could be interesting. I use a mac for everything except gaming and have done for ages. It's always made so much more sense to me than Windows and has always been more reliable and easy to use; if I can use it for gaming my computer needs will be complete.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

I just got a mac laptop, the MacBook and am very pleased with it. I really want to get TW working but need bootcamp to work...

Ya Misr!

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

I just got a mac laptop, the MacBook and am very pleased with it. I really want to get TW working but need bootcamp to work...

Ya Misr!

Bootcamp is a free download. What you really need is a legit copy of Windows 2K or Windows XP. Then you'll be cooking with gas.

(Bets source for legitimate copies: Ask your favorite sysadmin or netadmin. They always have more copies than they need.)