Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra
    I'm willing to help out in a part time capacity as needed, not much computing skills though but I could do some research if required.
    Good. In what factions/regions are you good and what period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    Hey, 31 factions is official, so now the Timurids can be their own faction
    No, they'll be not included.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Default AW: Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Hey, 31 factions is official, so now the Timurids can be their own faction
    that is a nice idea... but it is sad that they will not be included

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

You guys really found 31 factions more important than them?

I'm Scottish, so probably them, but I'd be willing to look into others if it was needed, just let me know.

Default Factions

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra
    I'm Scottish, so probably them, but I'd be willing to look into others if it was needed, just let me know.
    We have researcher for Scotland and he from what I know finished research of Scotland.

Any other area?

You guys really found 31 factions more important than them?
    Not all 31 factions.

I hope that I will publish list later today in the name of team.
    Watching

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    sorry edyz, but as i'm sure you know, "hoplitai" really just means "heavily-armored soldiers." I'm not sure what in what capacity the Byzantines use "hoplitai," but they do, as well as "hoplitikon" and "hoploi bares" (is that the proper diclension on baros?) along with non-hopl-references like "stratiotai" etc.
    If my knowledge holds true, hoplatia was the name denoting the hoplites, thus named because of the hoplo, the shield that the Ancient Greeks valued for their phalanx. Though the word did survive for later use in some Byzantine manuals, it does not mean "heavy soldier" but merely someone who would have participated in a phalanx formation.

Default Re: Factions

We have researcher for Scotland and he from what I know finished research of Scotland.
    Yes, there are two researchers for Scotland, one is a Gael Professor and the other one is myself. Scotland's lineup list of units is completed.

And there won't be any kilts/tartans.
    Or Woad Paint. :P

Hey Great idea!! making this mod would really improve the game!! it seriously lacks the whole historical part!!
    I hated, as an medieval archaeology student, to see so many anacronism in a game that claims to be historical.. i have so many things i could critisize in the game!! but I'll spare you for that so therefore I would love to help with this game.. and since I study archaeology in denmark i would gladly help with anything I can.. and If there's something i don't know.. I can allways ask my teachers so if you need any help you know where to find me
    "…Birds of battle screech, the grey wolf howls, spears rattle, shield answers shaft. …Then many a thegn, laden in gold, buckled on his sword-belt. …The hollow shield called for bold men"s hands..."

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Talking Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Id love to help you out! But im currently banned from modding by my folks...might change in the next couple of weeks! Im sure my help would be small for such a mod, but I could help out on several aspects.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Clan
    If my knowledge holds true, hoplatia was the name denoting the hoplites, thus named because of the hoplo, the shield that the Ancient Greeks valued for their phalanx. Though the word did survive for later use in some Byzantine manuals, it does not mean "heavy soldier" but merely someone who would have participated in a phalanx formation.
    The hoplon shield did indeed give it's name to the soldier, but...

If you look at the word 'hopla' > (heavy) arms (pl. of hoplon) > hoplitai > (heavy) armed soldiers...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

hey guys,i'm new here, i was searching for mods and i've jumped here....interesting project,what can i say.But i'm a little disappointed,everyone who mods forget about the romanian principates(Moldavia,Carpathia and Wallachia).Thanks to Moldavia and Wallachia(Carpathia was under the ocupation of hungary),the Turks never passed the Danube on their conquest mission over western europe
    i'm from romania and i would like to see one of this factions added(Wallachia would be cool).i can be a researcher 4 you if you need any.

Good luck to your guys with this!!

MCM

Quote Originally Posted by xmart2k
    hey guys,i'm new here, i was searching for mods and i've jumped here....interesting project,what can i say.But i'm a little disappointed,everyone who mods forget about the romanian principates(Moldavia,Carpathia and Wallachia).Thanks to Moldavia and Wallachia(Carpathia was under the ocupation of hungary),the Turks never passed the Danube on their conquest mission over western europe
    i'm from romania and i would like to see one of this factions added(Wallachia would be cool).i can be a researcher 4 you if you need any.
    romania was for some centurys turkish.

romania was for some centurys turkish.
    YOU LIE!

We(yes i'm romanian too) undertook major battles with the turks...and just Dobrogea was actually Turkish for a while ...we paid a regular gold fee and some romanian soldiers were converted and taken into the ottoman army but we never had turkish rulers, and ...you can take my word for it..there are no turkish influences throughout romania now, just hungarian ones...in Transylvania.
    Furthermore...with not even a shadow of disrespect... i believe you shouldn't be influenced by Bram Stoker's Dracula(which is the main sourse of knlowledge for foreign ppl regarding our country)...with Vlad Tepes(aka Dracula) ruling over Transylvania (LIES) and the big battle map animation with the turkish banner just stopping at it's borders...it's just another big fat LIE. I hope i didn't offend anyone with this reply..it's just how i feel about things
    NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! COME BACK...ONE YEAR

no turkish influence? why are there still people who speak turkish?
    if 3 ppl in the whole of romania speak turkish that doesn't mean we have turkish influences...ppl DO NOT speak turkish by god...unless they are turks and came to romania on vacation...their a minority, far more gipsies(rroma) than turks i assure you,the hungarian influences i was speaking of, were actually real..if u travel to some of the old medieval cities that were under hungarian rule half of the ppl speak hungarian. And you can hardly call 2 words from our vocabulary that don't even show in dictionaries(because they're slang), an influence.
    Furthermore...the whole phanariot rule and other things like the "southern Moldavia" beeing anexed by the ottoman empire..that's just later, a couple of centuries after the mod ends, not to mention that in 1066 when the game begins..none of the principates were under foreign rule...and the mod ends just BEFORE we get seriously invaded so the most important romanian battles our little moments of glory fit right in the game's time span.
    Playing the romanian principates would make the game very challenging, fighting on 2 fronts with little funds...so on and so forth

i was wondering...not sure where to post this...are you going to change less realistic things which don't very much have to do with history such as the gargantuan range of crossbows?...(bows should have much larger range and rate of fire, and a little less damage and crossbows should reload really slow and deliver devastating damage but at close range and only when shot str8 forward and not ballisticly) or the heavy cavalary's puny charge bonus?...there should be like a running through sensation when attacking light infantary for example...
    i can't wait to see the mod done keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by SoupNazi
    in 1066 when the game begins..none of the principates were under foreign rule
    Wrong. Wallachia and Moldovia were under Bulgarian control until 1018, then Pecheneg control until 1090 at which point the Cumans held them. Transalvania was under Hungarian rule from the early 11th century.
    Wallachia didnt become independant until the 13th Century, Moldovia the 14th Century and Transalvania the 16th Century. How exactly would you implement a Romanian faction from that?

so romanians will be rebels? this raises a question tho...in fact i was going to ask anyway: will rebels vary in troups depending on the region their in? for example will irish have some other special troups that can be recruited only by them, or will all the rebels be an anonimous mass of ppl just idle-ing away waiting to be destroyed?

Romanians in medieval? This is serious?

Wallachia and Moldova will be rebels = Petcheneges.
    Watching

Hi, my names Joey Britt and I'm new here, but would love to help with this mod. Whilst my modding skills are pretty limited, I feel that I could learn if needs be, but I am definately interested in helping research. My specific topic areas that I am knowledgeable in are:

- The Holy Roman Empire under Charles V (i.e Lutheran crisis etc)
    - France in late 1500s - the French Wars of Religion
    - The Miliatary Revolution of C15-16th
    - England under the Tudors
    (I also know rough details about the rest of Europe in the Early Modern Period)

Whilst I understand that most of the research will be focused on the start point of the game at 1066, I would be most grateful if I could help with information from later periods (perhaps events etc that happen) and help out the various faction researchers (particularly HRE) and/or be part of a research team for the later years of the game.

One thing I would say, without knowledge of how hard it would be to code, is that if you want a *realistic* mod of the ages that M2TW covers, the Miliatary Revolution is a massive turning point for the end of the 1400's and early 1500's. Whilst this includes the obvious moving from sword to gunpowder, one can't overlook the massive shift in the style of fortifications to match this. Starting at Civitavecchia in the early 1500s (i forget the date precisely), Trace Italienne fortifications were a huge part of the Early Modern landscape. As I said, the option to upgrade current fortifications to Trace Italliene may be damn hard to include in the mod, but, for the sake of realism, it is my belief that is should be in there as without it, no fortification was safe from the cannon.

Cheers,
    Joey Britt

I think this mod is planned to end safely before the 1500s. Hopefully in the year 1453.

If youre still looking for a 2d artist Im willing to help, I have got good experience with Photoshop, Fireworks (I mostly use photoshop), Flash and Dreamweaver.

i'd love to help you guys too with some unit art-work..i can research and draw some things..i have a knack for this kinda stuff...so if u need me send me a message or reply to my post

Rex Pelasgorum et Valachorum Member Rex_Pelasgorum's Avatar

Wrong. Wallachia and Moldovia were under Bulgarian control until 1018, then Pecheneg control until 1090 at which point the Cumans held them
    How exactly would you implement a Romanian faction from that?
    That is why i said in a previous post on a different topic, that Valachia should start UNDER THE PROTECTORATE OF CUMANS. It is extremly accurate from a historicall point of view.They could emerge sooner or later, like in real history, depending on some factors (in true history, when the hungarian ioke starting to grow, especially in Southern Transilvania, many vlahs crossed the mountains and settled in Valachia, thus helping in the cristalization of the state).

It should be mentioned that during those times the Hungarians penetrated the Carpathian Basin , and fought against the Vlachs from there, managing to overwhelm them.

Also, i repet, Hungary should be an unique faction, having to choose in the begining either to remain catholic, either to return back to the old pagan ways, as violent pagan reactions took place overthere until the XI-XII century...

Adding a Valachian faction, would not just spice up history , but also would make the gameplay more interesting. An early valahian army, would be an army made of low-quality units, uncapable of fighting in open field, but mastering the art of ambushes, traps, etc.... Choosing the terrain would play a crucial role... like in real history Also, managing to hold on against such great empires from nearby, would be also more than challenging.

I hope that in the near future, i will manage to muster some other people interested by Vallachians and not just, and launch a sort of "Ottoman invasion" campaign, set in the Balkans and Asia Minor around the XIV-XV century...
    Dogma nemuririi sufletului îi fãcea curajosi fãrã margini, dispretuitori fatã de orice pericol, poftitori de moarte (apetitus morti) luptãtori cu hotarâre si cu o întreprindere de speriat.
    (Metianus Capella)

I have no idea where to post these, i'm sorry for my clumsiness.

The drawings are from last year..i've been improving my technique ever since...but unfortunately these are the only figure drawings i have on my computer that are worth showing at the present time. The drawings are posted in reverse-chronological order

in my research for the game i found some incredible art-work. i dunno if u guys have the liberty to use these but i'm posting one of them in hope that it might help. this one is from osprey's history books-the english knight...i have lots more..english longbowmen...medieval russian armies...the templar and hospitaller knights...and so on and so forth..with alot of interesting text about them too.

Thumbs up Recruitment

OK.

For week or two there will be posted about members who want to join and have knowledge or/and skills we need.

mac89, SoupNazi

You'll be contacted for several days. Don't worry. I need to post that in our Developer subforum.

Ja'chyra

This also apply on you.

We'll see... We'll see...
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 11-19-2006 at 15:39.
    Watching

Default Re: Recruitment

OK.

For week or two there will be posted about members who want to join and have knowledge or/and skills we need.

mac89, SoupNazi

You'll be contacted for several days. Don't worry. I need to post that in our Developer subforum.

Ja'chyra

This also apply on you.

We'll see... We'll see...
    All three have now been contacted.
    Medieval: Total Realism

I think you should include Bulgaria as playable faction.... We were huge nation in early medieval years, may be the biggest enemy of Byzantium.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast