Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Default Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

regarding allocations poland at this time did not control its northern most maritime province.

Yes I rememeber. it was GREAt i telling slovak you serbian. And we understand us.
    and what is with RTR forum ???
    Medieval II : Total War userbars HERE
    www.totalwar.hotgames.cz < Admin of biggest Czech and Slovak fansite.

Amir of the office desk Member Cebei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kataphraktoi

Another possibility is to integrate any unique units from the beyliks into the Turkish Sultanate faction, is it ok to call the Turkish faction the Turkish Sultanate?
    Between 1038-1500(the game's end) there are 3 major Turkish sultanates in the region:

The Great Seljuk Sultanate (1038-1157)
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Reich-map.png

The Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate (it was part of the Great Seljuk Sultanate, but it broke away later on) (1078-1318)

The Ottoman State ("empire" after Constantinople, 1453) (1291-1923)

There are dozens of other principalities and states in the region.

Anyway, I think it will be correct to call them all as "Turkish Sultanate" or "Turkish Empire" as we cannot name these 3 states individually. Unique units can be integrated into the faction, but I expect having unique rebel units will be real fun
    When the game ends, peon and king go into the same box.

Another note:

Is it possible to incorporate the famous Janissary band into the game?

http://www.muslumangenc.com/media/ma...ter/mehter.JPG

Historically, it would have positive morale effects on friendly troops and negative morale effects on enemy troops.

I think we can make them buildable in cities; but they won't be a single unit. Rather a single Janissary band would be comprised of 20-30 units and their movements could be modelled similar to units operating a trebuchet or cannon.

I can even supply you with Janissary band music mp3s as unit sounds; you will hear them playing when you get closer, which fits into the existing voice engine of the game.

What do you think? An Ottoman army is never realistic enough without the janissary band!! :)
    Last edited by Cebei; 08-08-2006 at 23:12.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

I think their should be a band...but they should be recruiteable, and boost morale when their by troops .

Heres my reasearch so far for the cities and territories of the maghrib and tunis:

Cities, Provinces:
    Almoravids:
    -Marrakech
    -Tangier
    -Fes
    -Sijilimasa
    -Cordova
    -Sevilla
    -Bealrics
    -Granada

Almohads:
    -Marrakech
    -Tangier
    -Fes
    -Sijilimasa (western sahara, it would be the city in that big blotch of desert below all of the fertile provinces in your map).
    -Cordova
    -Sevilla
    -Granada
    -Tunis
    -Tripoli
    -Kairouan
    -Algiers

Grenadines (Al-Andalus):
    -Granada

Hafsids:
    -Tunis
    -Kairouan

Ill translate them later, once I can gather more books and materials. Until now, please critisize etc. Also, I have a question about the provinces of the game: Will they work similar to RTW? Because I heard in some FAQ awhile ago that one could build a castle separate from a city and recruit soldiers there...

Ya Misr!

Quote Originally Posted by beauchamp
    I think their should be a band...but they should be recruiteable, and boost morale when their by troops .
    Historically, the janissary band members are not recruited, they were trained in cities in special music schools. But I agree they should have a "range" under which they can have the morale bonus.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

You have wrong spelling on the map. Believe me.
    Are we talking about Branicevo - Pomoravlje? If so, yes I did mispell it :laugh4
    I only noticed it after I saved it as a gif file. And also Beligrad, I spelt it as Beligread...bad!

regarding allocations poland at this time did not control its northern most maritime province.
    Noted and acted upon

GOt ur PM, sure go ahead, knock urself out!!

Yes I rememeber. it was GREAt i telling slovak you serbian. And we understand us.
    and what is with RTR forum ???
    Are u asking where is RTR forum? If so, its offline for the moment :(

Anyway, I think it will be correct to call them all as "Turkish Sultanate" or "Turkish Empire" as we cannot name these 3 states individually. Unique units can be integrated into the faction, but I expect having unique rebel units will be real fun
    Exactly what I was thinking!! I won't treat rebel factions as rebels, but as independent faction in their own right, so expect unique rebels as such

Is it possible to incorporate the famous Janissary band into the game?
    i would love, I hope there is "priest" unit in the game which we can mod into a Janissary Band...
    I can even supply you with Janissary band music mp3s as unit sounds; you will hear them playing when you get closer, which fits into the existing voice engine of the game.
    ANother great idea!! It should be LOUD!

Ill translate them later, once I can gather more books and materials. Until now, please critisize etc. Also, I have a question about the provinces of the game: Will they work similar to RTW? Because I heard in some FAQ awhile ago that one could build a castle separate from a city and recruit soldiers there...
    I think the FAQ is referring to the tech tree option where u choose between a structure that gives u better military infrastructure or a better revenue raising infrastructure.

Have u checked the 1066map I posted recently???

Historically, the janissary band members are not recruited, they were trained in cities in special music schools. But I agree they should have a "range" under which they can have the morale bonus.
    Well, it could be possible to create a music building of some sort.

Too bad no sub-woofers back then

Hip Hop Janissaries anyone??
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-09-2006 at 06:50.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Now for my little comments. THis is not a proper preview like the ones MA (which were quite good actually), more like a conceptual diary of whats in mind. This is for the all the Byzantine/Romaion fans out there. :P

Structure as follows - PROVINCE : CAPITAL : PORT

1) BARION : BARION : BARION
    In 1066, the Romaion have a small little foothold in Southern Italy in Barion. In this fortified city, the Romaion flutters alone hostile surroundings. However, it is also a prosperous city and port. Historically, it took a long siege to capture the city, a testament to its fortifications and to its defensive qualities by which to defend the Romaion claim to Italy. A good focal point for recruiting Norman and Longobardian Ethnikoi.

2) RAGUSA : RAGUSA : RAGUSA
    The seat of a Strategos since the time of Basil I, the port city of Ragusa is a combination of direct control and autonomy in that while it is part of the Romaion administrative system, it is dependent on resources deployed locally and not from the centre. Therefore, the Strategos maintains a different institution and system from other Romaion provinces. Ragusa is capable naval power in its own right, historically, Ragusa begins to assert its independent character as the game moves on and away from the orbit of the Romaion sphere. Good province to train reliable, competent naval forces...that is, if you keep control of an independent-minded people like the Ragusans.

3) EPIROS : IOANNINA : DYRRACHION
    The mountainous terrain of Epiros is a strategically important defensive barrier against the encroachments of invaders coming from the West. However, its treacherous terrain is also a factor in governing this region. The terrain has given its inhabitants an independent character and disputatious nature, and yet, would the state's most valiant and brave fighters when called upon. Ioannina is the region's capital and is superbly situated defensively. Its port is the prosperous and strategic Dyrrachion, the first stage of the Via Egnatia, the major road that runs through to Konstantinopolis. Ideal region to recruit hardy Albanian and Vlach infantrymen ideal for mountainous guerilla warfare.

4) MAKEDONIA : SKOPI : NO PORT
    The home of heroes like Megas Alexander and his invincible phalanxes is now a province that guards the northern approaches to the Thessalia and Ellas provinces. Its capital Skopi is located at the peak of the Axios River and served as an important strategic defensive guard into the flatter, richer plains surrounding Thessalonki and the Thessalian plains. Historically, Makedonia is the crossroads of many rival powers which in turn bring a variety of ethnikoi in the region. It is possible to recruit Tourkoi cavalry from this region due to settlement policies of Romaion Emperors in the 11th century.

5) THESSALIA : THESSALONIKI : THESSALONIKI
    The second city of the empire is the port city of Thessaloniki, with its superb fortifications and its international reputation as a trading entrepot, it is the ideal location of the capital of the province of Thessalia. Not only does this province benefit from trade, but also from the richer agricultural produce of its plains further south. As an important naval center, one can raise excellent naval forces.

6) ELLAS : ATHINAI : ATHINAI
    Birthplace of Greek civilisation which later gave the Romaion their new language, a hellenised Christianity and a new cultural outlook after Latin culture faded away in the face of a strong Hellenic character in the east. While not as famous as it was, Athinai is still the capital of an iimportant province. It is the location of a famous and prosperous silk manufacturing center (located in Thebes). Athinai is also a good location of naval forces where the naval tradition is still strong. A prominent site in Athinai is the Church of the Virgin Mary, once dedicated to a different female, the goddess Athina - from whence the city derived its name - located on the Akropolis.

7) PELOPONNISOS : KORINTHOS : PATRAS (I'm thinking of combining it with Ellas later because it was combined under the Komnenos later and it would free up a province)
    Korinthos was actually the capital of Ellas, but for purposes of province segmentation, it can't be. Korinthos is thus, the leading city and capital of the Peloponnisos peninsula of Greece. Like Athinai, it too benefitted from the silk trade and prospered. Its port is the port city of Patras to the north-west. Historically, it was conquered by the Frankish Crusaders and the peninsula named Morea.

8) EUBOEA : KHALKIS : KHALKIS
    A strategic island base as a place of refuge for civilians and defeated military forces as well as a place to keep an eye on the mainland. Its capital is the port city of Khalkis. Island has a decent agricultural base. Historically, it was acquired by the Venetians.

9) KRETE : KHANIA : KHANIA
    Once a base for Musliim piracy, now an important naval bulwark against such piracy. The province of Krete guards the entrance into the Aegean Sea and not an island to give up easily. Krete has acquired a reputation for its archers. Historically, Kretan archers were famous in the later Romaion army, even participating in the final siege of Konstantinopolis in 1453, and note for their fierce courage. Historically, it was claimed by the Venetians who acquired the privilege of recruiting such archers.

10) RHODOS : RHODOS : RHODOS
    Another island guarding the approach to the Aegean Sea. Of historical significance as a Crusader outpost against the Ottoman Tourkoi. Rhodos has an excellent naval tradition and can be used a base for training excellent naval forces.

11) THRAKE : KONSTANTINOPOLIS : KONSTANTINOPOLIS
    The "Queen of Cities" resides in the province of Thrake. Known as a holy city protected by God, Konstantinopolis is a rich and prosperous economic and political center of the Romaion empire. Here, one can find all the trading goods of the world transversing froom the East to the West in its busy markets. The capital is famous for its collection of sacred relics and abundant gold domed churches so as to secure its reputation as a major pilgrimage point. Major famous buildings are the Hagia Sophia; the Nea Ekklesia; Porta Aurea; Acqueduct of Valens; The Great Palatial Complex; The Hippodrome; Hagia Eirene and Sancta Sergios and Bacchus. The capital also boasts the best fortification in the medieval world with a complex and formidable triple barrier series of walls on the landside. Located in Konstantinopolis is the Scholon (The Schools) who are the Imperial Tagmatic forces which form the heart of the empire's professional forces and the Emperor's bodyguard and also a strong naval fleet equipped with the deadly "Greek Fire" or Igro Pyr.

12) BALGARIJA (using Slavic form) : TURNOVO : VARNA
    Formerly, the Roman province of Moesia, but now effectively part of the Bulgarian homeland. This province enjoys the double protection of the River Danube and the mountain ranges to its south. In between this enclosure is a rich and fertile plain for the growth of agricultural produce. Its capital, Turnovo, is well situated in the mountains and provides adequate protection against invaders. Its port is Varna on the Black Sea coast. One can recruit hardy, cunning and brave Bulgarian solders into the Romaion army as either competent cavalrymen or infantrymen versed in guerilla warfare.

13) BRANICEVO - POMORAVLJE : BELIGRAD : NO PORT
    Standing at the intersection of many rivers is the "White City" or Beligrad (Beograd). It is an important strategic location guarding the approaches to the Balkans. The province has been settled in recent centuries by various tribes of Slavs. Here one can recruit the tough warriors of the Slavic tribes especially Serbs as "Symmachoi" or allies.

14) KLIMATA : KHERSONESOS : KHERSONESOS
    The province of Klimata is a strategic location that allows the Romaion to monitor the movement of steppes peoples as well as a base for importing goods from the north such as furs, slaves and amber. As an intelligience center, the Romaion can train excellent spies, intrepid merchants and also mercenaries of the steppe kind and the Varangian kind.

I'll complete the remaining 14 provinces later.
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-09-2006 at 10:05.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

kata i looked up on theodosia and this is wat wikipedia said:

"it was destroyed by the Huns in the 4th century AD.

Theodosia remained a minor village for much of the next nine hundred years. It was at various times part of the sphere of influence of the Khazars (excavations have revealed Khazar artifacts dating back to the ninth century) and of the Byzantine Empire.

Like the rest of Crimea, it fell under the domination of the Kipchaks and was conquered by the Mongols in the 1230s."

also why klimata? every source ive seen has called that theme chersonesos.

Klimata is the proper administrative name for the theme, I forgot what it translated too though...

Hmmm, I'm thinking it through and perhaps Khersonesos is probably the best.

Phew...I really wanted Cherson in, but wasn't too sure yet because of the rise of Theodosia, Sudak and other towns in the Crimea later...but apparently it survived well into the 14th cent. Good enuff for me
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-09-2006 at 10:04.

MTR researcher - Scandinavia Member Ringeck's Avatar

A potential unit list for the Danes. Not really finished, and a mix of swedish, norwegian, icelandic and danish sources have been used for it.

The Danish (Scandinavian) army consists of a lot of solid infantry with missile infantry mixed in, but is weak in cavalry before the high medieval period, when some elements of it may fight mounted.

5) MILITARY UNITS:
    Name of military unit: Ting-Hlídmennr
    Description of military unit: Royal retainer, early period (1052-1150). The guard infantry of the Danish kings and greater nobles, comparable to the Anglo-Saxon Huscarls.
    Unit Type: MEDIUM TO HEAVY INFANTRY
    Estimated Combat Characteristics
    Melee Attack: 6
    Defence: 8
    Charge: Medium
    Armour: “Norman” helmet, with the occasional aventail, Padded Vápentreiyu, Maille Hauberk, the occasional lamellar on top of the maille. Some leg and arm splint defenses.
    Melee Weapons: Swords, Axes, Two-Handed Axes
    Missile Weapons: None
    Defensive Panoply: Kite shields, the occasional poached-egg shield
    Speed: Slow
    Morale: Excellent
    Discipline: Excellent
    Notable abilities: Can form wedge, can form shieldwall

Name of military unit: Gestír (early and late period)
    Description of military unit: Light professional infantry of the retinue, used for police duties in peacetime. Commoners.
    Unit Type: LIGHT INFANTRY
    Melee Attack: 5
    Defence: 7
    Armour: Helmets and, Padded Vápntreiyu, the occasional maille.
    Melee Weapons: Axes/Swords
    Missile Weapons: Bows
    Defensive Panoply: Round or kite shields
    Speed: Fast infantry
    Discipline: Normal
    Notable abilities: Can form shieldwall

Name of military unit: Leiðangsmennr (early period)
    Description of military unit: The ship-levy of the norse, primarily called out for the defense of the kingdom
    Unit Type: LIGHT INFANTRY SPEARMEN
    Melee Attack: 4
    Armour: None, the occasional “Norman” helmet AND maille to represent a rich farmer
    Melee Weapons: Spears + axe or sword
    Missile Weapons: None or bows (or separate unit)
    Defensive Panoply: Large round shield, the occasional kite shield or poached egg shield
    Morale: Weak to average
    Notable abilities: Can form shieldwall, can form “phalanx”

Name of military unit: Leiðangsbogimennr (early period)
    Description of military unit: One-half of the Leiðang was required to bring bows to war.
    Unit Type: LIGHT INFANTRY ARCHERS
    Melee Attack: 3
    Defence: 6
    Charge: Weak
    Armour: None, the occasional “Norman” helmet AND maille to represent a rich farmer
    Melee Weapons: sword or axe
    Missile Weapons: war bow
    Defensive Panoply: Large round shield, the occasional kite shield or poached egg shield
    Morale: Weak to average
    Notable abilities: Can form shieldwall, can fire flaming ammo

Name of military unit: Skutilsveinr (high period)
    Description of military unit: Scandinavian knights and king’s top hirdmenn who often fought on foot
    Unit Type: HEAVY CAVALRY can dismount to HEAVY INFANTRY
    Melee Attack: 8 on horse, 7 on foot
    Defence: 7 on horse, 8 on foot
    Charge: Strong on horse, Medium on foot
    Armour: Padded Vápentreiyu, Padded Brýnbrok (chausses), Maille hauberk with mittens, maille leggings, helmet (either chape-de-férs, cervellieres or great helmets) with maille coif underneath, Pláta (coat-of-plates), some of them under the maille. Some Pannzara outer textile armours. The horses are also covered with padded armour and/or maille – the typical high medieval knight.
    Melee Weapons: Lances, swords/axes/maces
    Missile Weapons: Crossbows
    Defensive Panoply: Heater shields
    Speed: Normal cavalry, slow infantry
    Notable abilities: Can form wedges, can form shieldwall (on foot)

Name of military unit: Hirdmennr (high period)
    Description of military unit: The rank-and file men-at-arms of the king, the main body of his retainers.
    Unit Type: HEAVY INFANTRY
    Melee Attack: 6
    Armour: Padded Vápentreyiu, Maille or Pannzara, Chapel-de-fer (Stálhufvu) helmet
    Melee Weapons: Spears, swords/axes/maces
    Missile Weapons: Bows or Crossbows
    Defensive Panoply: Large infantry heater shields
    Speed: Normal infantry
    Morale: Good
    Discipline: Good

Name of military unit: Leiðangsmennr (high period)
    Description of military unit: Richer men of the later Leiðang. Better equipped, some may be mercenaries
    Unit Type: MEDIUM INFANTRY
    Armour: Stálhufvu helmet, vapentreiyu, maille hauberk, the occasional pannzara.
    Melee Weapons: Spears or other polearms, swords/axes/maces
    Defensive Panoply: Large infantry heater shields
    Morale: Normal

Name of military unit: Leiðangsbogimennr (high period)
    Description of military unit: The later archers of the leidang
    Unit Type: MEDIUM INFANTRY ARCHERS
    Melee Attack: 4
    Defence: 6
    Charge: weak
    Armour: Vápentreiyu, stálhufvu, the occasional maille or pannzara
    Melee Weapons: swords/axes/maces
    Defensive Panoply: bucklers
    Notable abilities: Can form shieldwall

Name of military unit: Riddere (late)
    Description of military unit: late medieval knights of the emerging professional army
    Unit Type: SUPER-HEAVY CAVALRY can dismount to SUPER_HEAVY INFANTRY
    Melee Attack: 9 mounted 8 dismounted
    Defence: 8 mounted 9 dismounted
    Charge: Strong
    Armour: Full plate mail in the german style
    Melee Weapons: Lances, longswords/axes/warhammers/maces/poleaxes
    Defensive Panoply: Small shields or none
    Notable abilities: Can form wedge

Name of military unit: Knægter (late)
    Description of military unit: Men-at-arms, mercenaries and recruited men
    Unit Type: HEAVY INFANTRY
    Melee Attack: 7
    Armour: Late medieval plate-and-mail and helmets
    Melee Weapons: Longswords, Axes, Poleaxes, Halberds
    Defensive Panoply: Large shields or none
    Notable abilities: Can form phalanx

Name of military unit: Armbrøstskydtere
    Description of military unit: Professional crossbowmen
    Unit Type: HEAVY MISSILE INFANTRY
    Charge: Weak
    Armour: Late medieval plate-and-mail and helmets
    Melee Weapons: longswords/axes/maces/picks
    Missile Weapons: Heavy Crossbows
    Defensive Panoply: None or pavises
    Notable abilities:

Name of military unit: Leiðangsmennr (late period)
    Description of military unit: MEDIUM MISSILE INFANTRY
    Unit Type: Late medieval militia and levy.
    Armour: Helmets
    Melee Weapons: “Sword-spears”, halberds
    Defensive Panoply:
    Notable abilities: Can form “phalanx”

Name of military unit: Valslynge (early)
    Description of military unit: Early man-powered torsion catapult
    Unit Type: ARTILLERY
    Melee Attack: 1
    Defence: 2
    Armour: Padded vápentryiu, helmets
    Melee Weapons: swords, axes, or spears
    Missile Weapons: Light catapult
    Defensive Panoply: round shields
    Morale: Weak
    Notable abilities:

Name of military unit: Valslynge (high)
    Description of military unit: A mangonel or trebuchet, likely crewed by foreign mercenaries.
    Unit Type: ARTILLERY
    Melee Attack: 1
    Defence: 3
    Armour: Padded vápentreiyu, helmets.
    Melee Weapons: swords, axes or spears
    Missile Weapons: Trebuchet/Mangonel
    Defensive Panoply: large infantry heater shields
    Speed: Immobile or slow
    Morale: Weak
    Notable abilities:

Name of military unit: Kanon
    Description of military unit: A late medieval cannon, of the banded metal type. While the earliest reference to gunpowder in scandinavia come from 1250 or so, and a fellow named Paal Fisiler definitively demonstrates it, and explains it as a psychological weapon - "One often uses such hærbrest in war in order to make those who do not know of it flee in all directions" - in Bergen between 1292 and 1296, real siege artillery did not become common until the later middle ages.
    Unit Type: GUNPOWDER ARTILLERY
    Melee Attack: 3
    Defence: 4
    Armour: Helmets, Jacks.
    Melee Weapons: longswords, poleaxes, halberds
    Missile Weapons: Cannon
    Defensive Panoply: None
    Speed: Immobile or Slow
    Notable abilities: Boom!

Note that the norse, and late medieval danish, needs serious correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebei
    I bought a DVD with tons of music and videos of the reconstructed modern band when I was vacationing in Istanbul this summer. Perhaps we could use that too.

MTR Researcher for the Rus Member Cadmus's Avatar

Eh, and ye want the provinces in their native language too? Because not many people can read Russian. But there's also an alphabet for Latin alphabetist.

And another thing, as the game spans from 1066 til 1453, there will be new units that pop up in the armies, so I will first give you the starting units armies consisted of.

But man, those Rus are an annoying bunch of relatives, quarreling with each other all the time. I had too find which Prince was at war with the rest (luckily it was only one), but should you have chosen 1067, things would have looked much more unpleasant for me, since mych of the Rus territory was conquered by this renegade.

Also, you all know Moscovy, which succeeded Kievan-Rus, well, I guess we won't be seeing it the game then, unless you let it emerge, but there's isn't even a Princedom of Moscovy back in 1066. So no Moscow for us. History will look a bit different for the Russians in this game.

So... don't you dare to change that date now .
    "Knighted by the Chevaliers de Sangreal, Lasiurus rises to enter the Kingdom of Light and Shadow"

Eh, and ye want the provinces in their native language too? Because not many people can read Russian. But there's also an alphabet for Latin alphabetist.
    Lol, please don't write in Cyrillic, only the Roman Alphabet equivalent of the Russian Names

And another thing, as the game spans from 1066 til 1453, there will be new units that pop up in the armies, so I will first give you the starting units armies consisted of.
    Possibly to 1492 as well, but 1066 IS PERMANENT...WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!

But man, those Rus are an annoying bunch of relatives, quarreling with each other all the time. I had too find which Prince was at war with the rest (luckily it was only one), but should you have chosen 1067, things would have looked much more unpleasant for me, since mych of the Rus territory was conquered by this renegade.
    Originally, the date was 1054, even more easy for u!!

So the date is fixed to 1066. I've put all Rus territories under Rus control, but its not a STRONG control, I want re-create the breakaway period of the Kievn Rus which means that each Rus province will have unique troops!! yay!!! yay!!! yay!!!

Also, you all know Moscovy, which succeeded Kievan-Rus, well, I guess we won't be seeing it the game then, unless you let it emerge, but there's isn't even a Princedom of Moscovy back in 1066. So no Moscow for us. History will look a bit different for the Russians in this game.
    Yeah...a pity. Its funny though, the person who founded Moscow was the grandson of a Byzantine Emperor by blood How nice, the Third Rome was founded by a descendant whose ancestor reigned in the Second Rome.

I bought a DVD with tons of music and videos of the reconstructed modern band when I was vacationing in Istanbul this summer. Perhaps we could use that too.
    Cebei is the head researcher, he'll be responsible for collating all Turkish related material and stuff, I'll help him organise it too if he wants. But he's in charge of Turkish related resources. He's the Sultan

A note to all researchers, Ringeck's unit list is a good example of what's expected. And remember, add as many units as possible. While we might not use all of it due to hardcoded limits, it would be nice to have a large list to choose from.

Those Danish unit lists are great. I'm drooling over it!

Those Danish unit lists are great. I'm drooling over it!
    They're a bit of an amalgam of different scandinavian sources, really. Due to the norwegian law collections and sagas we've got very good sources on the high medieval norwegian army, so most of the "high" lineup is norwegian, whereas the "late" lineup is primarily swedish and danish.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Will their be native americans as well?

Ya Misr!

Linked to map.

Yet again, an early draft of scandinavia and the isles (+ Ösel, which for some reason is colored danish in the map) and Finland. Map included.

Denmark is the greatest kingdom of Scandinavia and has been so since before the Scandinavians started recording history, although the kings of Norway, spurred on by their descent from saint-king Olaf, have ended Danish influence in that region. In 1066 the danes are considering invasion of England to protect the norse settlers of the north of the country.

1: JYLLAND: ARUS: ARUS
    Jylland has been the center of Danish power during the Viking age, and from here Canute began his conquests. The city of Arus (modern Aarhus) has been the trading centre of Jylland for centuries. In the south, the massive Danevirke defensive works, crossing the peninsula at its narrowest point, makes invasion from the south very difficult. Jylland has excellent agricultural land.
    Resources: Grain, Fish

2: SJAELLAND/FYN: ROSKILDE: ROSKILDE
    The city of Roskilde, recent center of the royal mint, is the growing capital of the Kingdom of Denmark. It is reportedly the largest city in the Kingdom, and is, besides a royal hall, one of the largest churches in the kingdom and a planned cathedral school, well fortified after the last years wars with Norway. The islands are also the center of Danish shipbuilding.

3: SKÅNE: LUND: HELSINGØR OR TRELLEBORG
    Lund is Skånes largest city and the see of the Scandinavian church (in 1103 it will be made the center of the archbishopric). The city is very defensible, located on a hill next to a riverford, and the province of Skåne has some of the best agricultural land in Scandinavia.

4: GOTLAND: VISBY: VISBY
    The Island of Gotland has been a rich trading-island for centuries, a lynchpin of the Baltic trade. Gotland rules itself -decicions are made here by an assembly of free men and the laws they have all agreed on. Visby is a growing centre of trade.
    Resources: Amber, Slaves, Fish

5: NORWAY: NIDAROS: NIDAROS OR BERGEN: BERGEN
    Norway is a large, mountainous region, with pockets of good agricultural land and a few cities. The city of Nidaros, center of the Norwegian church, is the closest thing Norway has to a capital. Nidaros has a natural harbour and is a center of the trade in fish, whalebone and fur. The Norwegians build excellent longships, and make decent iron from bog ore. The king and his northern jarls also tax the heathen samii and lapps in the north and bring in exotic furs that southmen desire, and traders get their share of it by selling iron to the nomads.
    (Around 1070 King Olav “the Meek” will make Bergen his capital, and the city will remain so until Oslo takes over in 1319. Perhaps it would be better to make Bergen the capital of Norway in the mod)
    Resources: Iron, Hides, Fish, Whalebone

Sweden isn’t truly united in 1066. The Svear and Götar are divided into chiefdoms and elect their kinds - they have seen kings come and go in recent years, and fight amongst themselves a lot, not the least over matters of religion. Christianity is gaining the upper hand in these lands, but the question is far from settled.
    6: GÖTALAND : LÖDÖSE: LÖDÔSE
    The Götes are fiercely independent and keep to the older ways - paganism still lingers in many of its territories, although Christianity is clearly the dominant religion. In the Viking age, the city of Birka controlled the Baltic trade trough the territories, but the trade has recently moved north.
    Lödöse is a city on the western coast river outlet of the Göta river, and is growing rich from trade with southern Norway, the Baltic, and Denmark.
    Resources: Timber, Hides

7: SVEALAND: UPPSALA: SIGTUNA
    The Svear are still pagan or half-pagan, most of them, men say. At the cult centre of Uppsala the norse gods are still worshipped openly, although the White Christ’s worshippers are growing in number. Still, the yearly Ting at Uppsala gathers both christian and pagan Svear to decide public matters, and every nine years human sacrifices swing from the old trees. Sigtuna has taken over the trade which once came through Birka, and has ties to the Russian and Baltic lands. There are great resources of iron in Svealand, which will one day produce Europe’s first known blast furnaces and come to dominate iron production in northern Europe until well into the 17th century.
    Resources: Iron, Timber, Slaves

Finland is still independent in 1066 – the Swedes have yet to begin their expansion into the Baltic.

8: FINLAND: ?: ?
    The Finnish, Tavastian, Karelian and Samii clans live in tribes along the coasts and lakes of Finland, resisting the attempts of outsiders to convert or tax them. Except for the island of Åland, there are few Svear in their lands, although they are welcomed for their trade. The clansmen are still pagan, although they know of Christianity and some have even let themselves be baptized.
    Resources: Timber, Hides

9: THE ISLANDS: ?: ?
    The different islands of the north sea and around the coasts of Scotland, northern England, and Ireland were settled by the norse in the Viking age and still have close cultural ties to Norway, although they don’t really regard themselves as subject to the king. They include the Isle of Man, the inner and outer Hebrides, the Shetlands, the Orkneys and the Fareoar. The islemen still trade with and raid their neighbours in Scotland and Ireland.
    Resources: Fish

10: EYSYSLA (ÖSEL)
    The Islands of Hiiuma and Saarema have still not been incorporated into any kingdom and live as they have for centuries, frequently mounting raids into the Scandinavian countries and getting the favour returned now and then.

15) BYTHINIA : NIKAIA : AVYDOS
    A large and prosperous province west of the capital. It is here that Orthodox Christianity was established at the councils of Khalkedon and Nikaia. Nikaia is the capital of this province. It is a strongly fortified city.

16) LYDIA : SMYRNA : SMYRNA
    The province of Lydia is fertile and production region with a rich port city in Smyrna. It is vulnerable along the coastline. The province also includes the island of Khios, Khios is famous for its mastic. In the medieval period, mastic was a very valuable resource. This will be a valuable export from Lydia.

17) LYKIA : ATTALEIA : ATTALEIA
    The historical naval theme of the Cibbyrheaots is located here. In the 8th century, colonies of Mardaites were settled here as oarsmen and form a good base for recruiting sailors and training naval forces. It is a mountainous region in the interior, but the coastline enjoys good conditions with an important strategic port like Attaleia.

18) ANATOLIA : IKONION : NO PORT
    The plateau of Anatolia is dry and barren, and yet is the home to the empire's toughest and hardiest warriors. The capital of Ikonion is located here and serves as a critical city to hold as the key to the Romaion heartland.

19) KAPPADOKIA : KAISAREIA : NO PORT
    Skleri, Kourkuas and the Phoki are famous Romaion military families who live in this region as the source of the empire's best military might and leadership. The historical city of Kaisareia is their base. Any Basileus recruiting native professional military forces and generals should look here.

20) PAPHLAGONIA : SINOPI : SINOPI
    The port city of Sinopi is a rich prosperous location and capital of Paphlagonia.

21) PONTUS : TRAPEZOUNTA : TRAPEZOUNTA
    Trapezounta is another important port city along the Black Sea coast. Not only is it an ideal trading port city, it is also an excellent base for gathering intelligience on neighbouring regions to the east. Excellent spies can be recruited here as well as merchants. The mountainous Pontic peaks of the region also make it a highly defensible region. One can recruit guerilla Laz warriors here.

22) KHARSIANON : SEBASTEIA : NO PORT
    Traditionally, the weakest point of the Anatolian defenses of the empire, it is nonetheless the location of the strategic city of Sebastea.

23) KILIKIA : SIS : SELEUKEIA
    Acquired last century by the Romaion, Kilikia is a flat plain ringed by mountainous terrain. Its capital is Sis, later the capital of Kilikian Armenia historically in the 12 cent.

Anyone want to change this? Since Sis was made a capital in 1186, it could easily be some other city in Kilikia if history changes. Personally I'd prefer Tarsus or Anarzabus (Anarzava) and port as Seleukeia or Korikos.

24) LYKANDOS : MELITENE : NO PORT
    Once a formidable seat of an Arab Emirate but now a seat of a Strategos protecting the empire's borders.

25) EFFRATIS : EDESSA : NO PORT
    A venerable city of Christian tradition, it is now within the empire's possessions. It is also a well located city along the trade route to Antiokheia. It is also a defensively important city on the frontier.

26) ARMENIA : THEODOSIOPOLIS : NO PORT
    Another seat of an Arab Emirate but now incorporated into the empire.

27) KYPROS : FAMAGUSTA : FAMAGUSTA
    An important island that is rich through trade and as a military naval base to watch over the Levant. Famagusta is its capital. Historically, it was conquered by Richard the Lionheart during the Third Crusade.

28) ANTIOKHEIA : ANTIOKHEIA : ANTIOKHEIA
    The seat of a patriarchate and an important Christian city. It is now the empire's greatest city on the Syrian frontier. It is the frequent target of the Fatimids because of its strategic importance and its economic prosperity adding great wealth to any empire.

Note, in a map I'm making changes to:
    I've combined the Magdeburg province with Saxony which allows me to add a third province for the Moors, which means Sijilmassi will be another city in the Maghribi region.

10: EYSYSLA (&#214;SEL)
    The Islands of Hiiuma and Saarema have still not been incorporated into any kingdom and live as they have for centuries, frequently mounting raids into the Scandinavian countries and getting the favour returned now and then.
    I coloured it red, but it wasn't for the Danes It was just red!! And its not a separate province.

2: SJAELLAND/FYN: ROSKILDE: ROSKILDE
    The city of Roskilde, recent center of the royal mint, is the growing capital of the Kingdom of Denmark. It is reportedly the largest city in the Kingdom, and is, besides a royal hall, one of the largest churches in the kingdom and a planned cathedral school, well fortified after the last years wars with Norway. The islands are also the center of Danish shipbuilding.
    Yep, already its own province.

In fact all province slots have been filled so OSEL can't be included in, it will be attached to a Scandinavian province, most likely Gotland. However, there may be more province deletions so I'll keep the Hebrides, Orkneys in my mind...

Thanks for the maps.
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-09-2006 at 17:43.

No Americans, it wouldn't be too medieval if it was included. Either 1453 or 1492 is the end date.

Does anyone want a little island called Pharaoh's island put there...not as a province, but an island nonetheless, it has an interesting history as a Byzantine/Crusader and Ayyubid fortification base in the red sea

Ringeck is the newest member of the team, actually he already was a long time ago, I forgot to add him hehe
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-09-2006 at 18:49.

cadmus, if you wouldnt mind you can send me the russian names written in cyrillic. i hope to translate them based on a specific transliteration system.
    im realy hoping everything in this mod will be in native spelling like Eb, it just adds so much flavour to the game :)

In fact all province slots have been filled so OSEL can't be included in, it will be attached to a Scandinavian province, most likely Gotland.
    Probably better to attach it to Estonia.
    Remember to turn the border inside sweden 90 degrees.

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

Just checking in...
    Briefly viewed Ringeck's list for Denmark's units, and there is one minor complaint that I have. And that is that the unit "Armbrøstskytter"(professional crossbowmen) have excellent morale. I feel that excellent morale should be something reserved for units that for an example are fanatical (like gazis) or are very sure of them selves if not arrogant (like knights). I think this does not fit well with a unit of missile infantry, actually especially not since they are professional because most professional soldiers were simply mercenaries and mercenaries were often known for abandoning the field if the battle did not promise well to them (what good is payment if you're not alive to use it?).
    I didn't read much of the list nearly only "armbrøstskyttere" but there is one thing I want to propose for every factions and that is that most common soldiery have poor to average morale and that good morale and up is reserved for the more elite or skilled soldiers...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

An Important note on defining MORALE and DISCIPLINE:
    MORALE: - Motivation, mentality and attitude
    WEAK: This means that soldiers have low motivation and confidence, they don’t believe in the war they are fighting and are demoralised for having to participate in it. Most likely to break and run when pressure is applied.
    NORMAL: Those with normal morale are soldiers who view war as an occupation and fight for the basics of soldiery: pay. They certainly have the spirit to fight and will give a good account of themselves in battle but only to a certain point
    EXCELLENT: Soldiers with excellent morale and highly motivated. It is not just high pay, but perhaps also for a cause they believe in such as religion or justice. Even independence is a cause for excellent morale. They are likely to last longer in battle.

DISCIPLINE: - Ability to listen to orders, maintain order and stability, and endurance under heavy fighting
    WEAK: Unlikely to listen to orders to rally, or are impetuous and may attack without orders. However, this does not mean they have lower morale, it may be the opposite!
    NORMAL: Normal level of discipline means that soldiers will follow orders and do as they’re told and are often able to maintain order and stability competently enough.
    EXCELLENT: They are likely to maintain a strong order and stability in the heat of battle and likely to last longer in such conditions. They are also capable of complex strategic movements. They may be high in morale but not impetuous, they listen to orders as disciplined soldiers.

Just checking in...
    Briefly viewed Ringeck's list for Denmark's units, and there is one minor complaint that I have. And that is that the unit "Armbrøstskytter"(professional crossbowmen) have excellent morale. I feel that excellent morale should be something reserved for units that for an example are fanatical (like gazis) or are very sure of them selves if not arrogant (like knights). I think this does not fit well with a unit of missile infantry, actually especially not since they are professional because most professional soldiers were simply mercenaries and mercenaries were often known for abandoning the field if the battle did not promise well to them (what good is payment if you're not alive to use it?).
    I didn't read much of the list nearly only "armbrøstskyttere" but there is one thing I want to propose for every factions and that is that most common soldiery have poor to average morale and that good morale and up is reserved for the more elite or skilled soldiers...
    Even if Riingeck wanted to edit it, he can't he's a junior member.

Probably better to attach it to Estonia.
    Remember to turn the border inside sweden 90 degrees.
    done

MTR Researcher for the Rus Member Cadmus's Avatar

Polak, I'll try to send them this afternoon, because I have to sing a mass this morning (in Latin ). But maybe I'll also include all the documents that I have found, which I have translated into Russian. Normally it's not that difficult to transcribe them into a readable alphabet, but I'll send them through anyway.
    "Knighted by the Chevaliers de Sangreal, Lasiurus rises to enter the Kingdom of Light and Shadow"

Regarding Morale on the crossbowmen:

We'll have to change all such minor details when we implement the real game system anyway - since we only have RTW to go by, there's no telling exactly what "stats" we are going to be seeing in M2TW, and we need to balance things out against other units. The unit list is, as stated, only a sketch anyway - the idea is to establish the scandinavian combined army (which it basically is) as an infantry-heavy, slow and relatively heavily armed army. If we do get to split up the danes and norwegians, the danes will get more "continental" in style while the norwegians will get the good levies and heavy infantry.

I do agree on the morale thing - even though I think we'd reserve the higher levels of morale to the professional and cocky troops. Most "fanatics" in medieval history (be they muslim ghazis or the peasant's crusaders) tended to show themselves less fanatical when they actually were required to fight and die...

I'm more embarrased over the name - it's barely proper modern danish.

Only three possible levels of morale and discipline each is going to group 90% of all units as normal/normal....

Even if Riingeck wanted to edit it, he can't he's a junior member.
    Someone rectify that? I'm going to have to edit a lot of things when we start working on models anyway.

Only way to rectify it is to make lots and lots of posts...but u have to make sure they are right the first time or else u can't edit it

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast