Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

MTR researcher - Scandinavia Member Ringeck's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Urgh. Well, I paged a moderator about it.
    That being said, I'd like to have a concept artist to work with. I have a lot of material that can translate into concept sketches for different units and buildings - if we do the more generic ones first, we can use them indifferently of whether the spesific units make it to the final cut.

MTR Researcher for the Rus Member Cadmus's Avatar

Is this what you would like?

Military Units:

Early Rus Empire:

Cavalry / Конница

- Druzhina bodyguard / Prince’s bodyguard / Личная Охрана Князя
    Description: These were the closest friends of the Prince, always standing by his side, when fighting, when drinking and feasting, and dividing every plunder. They were armed with all kinds of weapons such as swords or sabers, a lance, and sometimes other bludgeoning arms. They also used the bow, having copied that from there steppe adverseries, and it made them very versatile.
    Unit Type: Medium / Heavy Cavalry (gradually started to use heavier armour)

- Druzhina (Cavalry) / Дружинники
    Description: Besides being bodyguards for the Prince, the Druzhina cavalry also sallied out to have some fun and plunder of their own.

- Boyars / Бояри ( High Rus Empire )
    Description: The Boyars have always been there from the beginning, but started off as the Druzhina, the sidekicks of the Prince. They were from all kinds of origin, but gradually, as they became more and more real Rus, they began to follow own glory and wealth. And from this the boyar families arose, the highest nobility in the Rus empire, and those who tried to nibble away from the power of the Prince.

Infantry / Пехота

- Varangians / Варанги
    Description: The ‘barbarian’ warriors of the Rus army, and also the most fearful. Coming from the north with their Drakkars, they first became the rulers of the Slavs, later on, as these northern leaders became , they still called upon these nothern warriors, to aid them in battle. Clad in heavy chainmail with a broad axe cleaving the air these warriors were fiercesome indeed to challenge.
    Unit Type: Heavy Infantry

- Urban Militia / Милиция = Infantrymen / Пешцы
    Description: Both the Urban Militia and the Voi can in fact be seen as one group, but there can be made a difference, as there were soldiers called upon to defend the city when assaulted. They were usually armed with a spear, axe or sword, with a shield, and leather armour.
    Unit Type: Medium Infantry

- Peasant Levy / Voi / Вои
    Description: Like the name says, these were soldiers last called upon, and least reliable, although they could still put up a fight when they needed to defend their homeland. They were dressed in mostly light armour, something which they could afford, and with the standard weaponry.
    Unit Type: Medium / Light Infantry

Missile /

- Horse Archers / Black Hats / Чёрные Клобуки
    Description: These soldiers originated from the steppes, and were in fact mercenaries in the Rus Army. The were or Turk, or Cuman (Pecheneg as some prefer) or any other steppe tribe of the area.
    Unit Type: Missile Cavalry

- Archers / Streletsi / Стрелецы
    Description: These were the archers of the Rus empire, in fact the ‘backbone’ of the army, because they had a very important role, and were used in large numbers. Off course, they needed to be backed up/defended by the regular infantry.
    Unit Type: Missile Infantry

- Psiloi / Рсылой
    Description: These were skirmishers, in fact widely used in many armies of the Middle Ages, hence the Greek name.

Crossbowmen / Самострелцы ( High Rus Empire )
    Description: In fact, the crossbow never became so widely used as in the West. The bow stayed the most important missille weapon of the Rus. Only Novgorod tended to deploy crossbowmen in large numbers.

As for all the documents I have found, I'm first going to search for some more (there are so many, I never knew). But everything else I finish now, I will PM, to Kataphraktoi that Template, and to Polski those Russian 'texts' to transcribe.
    And about the provinces, do you need that soon, else I will try to PM it this evening, but else it'll be Saturday, or even Sunday (depends if my girlfriend asks me out )

Poka!
    "Knighted by the Chevaliers de Sangreal, Lasiurus rises to enter the Kingdom of Light and Shadow"

Hmm, no edit than? Well, I see there are still some (many) mistakes left in the text, but it's just a preview eh.
    But, about the abilities and skill points of these soldiers... I'm not very familiar with the system, so I'll let you guys do that, ok?
    "Knighted by the Chevaliers de Sangreal, Lasiurus rises to enter the Kingdom of Light and Shadow"

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

u have 6 months to finish the research template. No rush!
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

I'm just enjoying myself with this. It's been 1,5 month and yet another 1,5 until lessons start again, so I need to stay in shape, ye know.
    Anyway, I'll send you my map, it's the only thing I'm gonna send, the rest you'll have to wait for, or until you ask. But can I attach something in a PM, cuz I can't find it...

Amir of the office desk Member Cebei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ringeck
    I bought a DVD with tons of music and videos of the reconstructed modern band when I was vacationing in Istanbul this summer. Perhaps we could use that too.
    Oh yeah! That will be very useful.

There are different janissary songs for mobilization, defence, attack, victory etc... oh man, I can't wait to see the janissary band incorporated into the game. That will be crazy!
    When the game ends, peon and king go into the same box.

I tried picking a team, but the researchers didn't respond. What do I do?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Don't worry, because u have 6 months or so, thats plenty of time. Plus some members like Polak966 is researching not just Poland but contributing to other factions too so u'll see a lot of criss-crossing co-operation between researchers.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

I searched the archives for my previous work for Medmod series and found this.

SELJUK UNIT ROSTER (start-1299):

Seljuk Light Horse: The majority of Seljuk tribal cavalry were light cavalry armed with a composite bow. Up to 100 arrows might be carried in quivers, bow case and even in boots. Typical garb was a topcoat with a right over left flap. A variety of caps and turbans were worn.

- Armed with bows
    - Increased arrow number
    - Armored

Turcoman Light Horse: Turkoman auxiliaries made up the bulk of Seljuk armies. Turkomans were a Turkish nomadic group originating from Central Asia who, while hard to discipline, and who generally fought for plunder, were well regarded for their fierceness. They were armed with bow and javelins. They wore topcoats and black fur or felt caps. Turkomans are a quite versatile troop type. Turkomans light cavalry appear in Medieval Syrian, Fatimid, Ayyibid, Mamluk, Khwarizmain, Ikhanid, Timurid, Islamic Persian armies among others.

- Armed with javelins/bows
    - Fast
    - Poor morale

Askari: These cavalry were the personal troops, known as Askaris, of the Seljuk Sultan and/or the major emirs. Askaris were a full time force paid in cash or with use of land (the iqta'at). They wore armour of various eastern styles and were armed with light lance, bow, sword and shield.

- Armed with bows
    - Armored
    - Good attack
    - Very good defence

Turcoman auxilliary: Due to increasing clashes with the Byzantine army, Seljuk state felt a need for infantry force to protect the cavalry. These Seljuk light foot soldiers are skirmishers, armed with javelins and short swords.

- Armed with javelins
    - Good defence
    - Poor morale

Turcoman auxilliary archers: Well this was nicely done in MM3.14 no need to alter.

Armenian HC: No need to change. But, I doubt if we should continue using it after 1299. I sense they turn into ordinary Ottoman Sipahi after 1300. Though this is FULLY open to criticisms.

OTTOMAN UNIT ROSTER (1299-1453):

Akinci (appears 1299) Akinci (or raider) cavalry wears a style of buff-leather armor originally introduced by the 13th century Mongols. The circular ear-pieces on his helmet are also of Mongol derivation, while his straight sword is typically Iranian.
    - Armed with bow
    - Good attack
    - Good defence
    - Fast

Turcoman Tribal Horseman: (ugrade of Seljuk –pre1299- Turcoman horse) Turcoman horse archers formed the bulk of early Ottoman armies. Most would have been unarmored or have only a leather-lamellar cuirass. Regiment’s leader also wears an iron helmet with an ample mail aventail.

- Armed with bow
    - Fast
    - Vulnerable to missiles

Ottoman Sipahi: I dont feel any need to alter the exact unit in the game.

Ottoman Baltaci: Now in MM3.14 this is brilliantly done. Its MTW translation is the Ottoman Infantry. It carried an axe and sword and also a large shield, but did not have any bows, so whoever suggested the removal of bows of Ottoman infantry, did very well. Features are the same. Baltaci; were used in assaulting fortifications, its axe could break wooden gates and the shield could protect the infantry from missiles.

Ottoman Deli: These horsemen were very light armored scouts. They were fast and the horses had tremendous stamina. Their job was to scout the battlefield or bring routers back for ransom.

- Their stats can be done the same as hobilars

Tatar cavalryman: (appears around 1400, bonus in Crimea) Tatar tribes from the Crimea who fought in traditional style as horse-archers, were the most effective cavalry in the Ottoman army. They wore iron skull cap under his fur hat, and a (probably) captured Russian mail and plate cuireass under his felt coat. Tatars were not “Ottoman” per-se and the inclusion of Tatars in an Ottoman army depended on the good relations of Ottoman sultan with the Tatar khan.

My research gave me no clue about a specific Armenian-type cavalry in the Ottoman army. They rather rode along Seljuk armies which was pre-1250 approximately.

Yaya infantry: (appears in 1326, bonus in Bulgaria) Yaya infantry looks similar to a 14th-15th century Turkish nomad, typical features being the segmented hat. As a foot soldier, he also has the laced gaiters of an Anatolian or Iranian peasant. Yaya infantry used crossbows (which was a Hungarian influence) and carried a small shield to protect himself from missles. He also has a sword which he can use to protect himself in melee.

- Armed with crossbow
    - Shield protects from missle fire
    - Good defence
    - Fast

Nefer Janissary Infantry: (appears in 1360) Nefers are equipped with a bow and wears a fluted “turban-zirh”, chain mail helmet, and a mail hauberk beneath his coat. His sword is a European import suspended in a Middle Eastern manner. If I am not mistaken, in MM3.14 they got a bonus in Anatolia or Rum. They were traditionally bonusful in the Balkans, so I guess original Bulgaria bonus is more correct. These guys were raised from Christian provinces of Ottomans.

Features same with the Janissary infantry in the game

Zirhli Nefer: (appears 1413) Janissaries who wore full armor were simply known as Zirhli Nefer or ‘armored soldiers’. They were used as assault troops and formed part of the Serdengeçti or ‘head risker’ elite. They had highly decorated gilded helmet with a plume holder on the front, a flexible neck guard, a mail-plate cuirass and thigh and knee protections. His shield is a form adopted from the Ottomans’ Eastern European neighbours, while his tirpan staff has Italian influence.

Features same with the Janissary Heavy Infantry in the game PLUS disciplined, excellent morale and ignore all routers regardless of elite or not

Kesici Silahkarda Müsellem: (appears 1413) Janissary Assault squads also included archers, because the muskets took so long to reload. Kesici archers had longer range and better accuracy than ordinary archers and carried a crude wooden pavise to protect himself from missle fire.

- Features same with the Janissary Archers in the game PLUS a pavise and disciplined, excellent morale and ignore all routers

Yanici Silahkarda Müsellem: (appears in 1440, GAH You can only use them for 13 turns lol) Janissaries’ use of firearms and cannons has always been feared by Ottomans’ enemies. At first Janissaries, so proud of their neat appearance, disliked dirty guns but after witnessing their power in Hungarian wars they accepted the arquebus. Typical Ottoman matchlocks were longer and larger than those of the West and according to a French observer, Ottoman arquebusiers could shot from a great distance, even by holding arquebus with their one hand. Janissaries’ enemies also noted that Ottoman marksmen could shoot accurately by moonlight, while speed and accuracy of Ottoman musketry still amazed the Austrians until the late 17th century. They also carry swords for melee.

- Fast
    - Disciplined
    - Excellent morale
    - Shoot poorly in bad weather
    - Vulnerable to missiles
    - Ignore all routers
    - Good defence
    - Missiles very good vs armor

P.S.: These guys were historically the pride of Janissaries and fuelled the expansion of Ottomans to a great degree. They could shoot a massive 80 gram bullets, piercing through 3-4 ranks of armored infantry. When you consider that these guys were trained from infancy, they could achieve extreme accuracy. So I think (keeping in mind that they can be used only for a little time frame of 13 turns 1440-1453) it wont be wrong to program them historically accurate.

Levents: (Appears 1410) Levents were Ottoman “marines”. They conducted amphibious operations like assaults on coastal fortifications and boarded ships. Their arquebuses enabled weakening an enemy formation before charging in with their tırpans. They were not Sultan’s slave soldiers and had relatively independent life, which made them inclined to running away when things go wrong.

- Very strong charge
    - Very good attack
    - Good defence
    - Missiles very good vs armor
    - Poor morale
    P.S.: Their arquebuses should be weaker than Yanici silahkardas’ arquebuses.

Bostanci Havani: Janissary bostanci corps were responsible for siege warfare and developing extraordinary siege weaponry. This trench-mortar threw 2 grenades and was cocked and then fired by pulling two seperate chords. The grenades are not as destructive as the standard siege cannons, so should be used not against the castle walls but on those hiding behind them.

- Mortar firing two rounds at the same time

SELJUK RANKS AND TITLES:

Beylerbeyi: Commander-in-Chief
    Emir’ul Ulema: Amir of the staff officers
    Subasi: Commander of an army
    Reis’ul Bahr: Naval commander
    Khan or Atabey: Provincial ruler

OTTOMAN RANKS AND TITLES:

Yeniceri Agasi: Commander-in-Chief of the Janissaries
    Basvezir: Grand Vizier
    Reis’ul Bahr: Naval commander
    Bashaseki Agasi: Personal bodyguard of the Sultan
    Pasha or Wali: Provincial ruler
    Mufti-al Kubra: Grand “Mufti”, the religious leader.
    Defterdar: Finance Minister
    SELJUK RULERS:

Suleiman ibn Kutalmish 1077-1086

Command: 5
    Dread: 4
    Piety: 4
    Acumen: 1

Kilij Arslan I 1092-1107
    Command: 7
    Dread: 5
    Acumen: 3

Malik Shah I 1107-1116
    Command: 3
    Piety: 2
    Acumen: 4

Mas'ud 1116-1156
    Command: 6
    Dread: 6
    Piety: 3
    Acumen: 5

Kilij Arslan II 1156-1192
    Command: 8
    Dread: 9
    Piety: 5
    * Scant Mercy

Suleiman II 1196-1204

Command.: 5

Kilij Arslan III 1204-1205
    Dread: 7
    Piety: 6
    Acumen: 6
    *fine leader
    *skilled attacker

Kay Kaus I 1210-1220

Dread: 2
    Acumen: 6
    *fine leader
    *irredeemably witty

Kay Kobadh I 1220-1237

Command: 5
    Dread: 1
    Piety: 7
    Acumen: 8
    *builder
    *steward

OTTOMAN SULTANS:

1300 - 1326 Osman I (ruled from c. 1290)

Dread: 0

- expert attacker
    - fine leader
    - mighty warrior

1326 - 1359 Orhan

- skilled attacker
    - fine leader
    - great warrior

1359 - 1389 Murad I

Command: 6
    Piety: 8
    Acumen: 7

- Highly educated
    - Skilled attacker
    - Irredeemably witty

1389 - 1402 Bayezid I Yildirim

Acumen: 7

- Expert attacker
    - Utterly fearless

1413 - 1421 Mehmed I Celebi

Piety:6
    Acumen:8

- Skilled attacker
    - Highly educated

1421 - 1444 Murad II

Command: 9

- Educated
    - Expert defender

1444 - 1446 Mehmed II, Fatih

Command: 9
    Piety: 8
    Acumen: 9

- Expert assaulter
    - Highly educated
    - Irredeemably witty
    - Mighty warrior

SELJUK HEROES

Amir Afsin (1064-1098) -Commander-
    Loyalty: 8
    Dread: 3

Atsiz Uvakoglu (1102-1138) -Commander-
    Loyalty: 8

Artuk Eksukoglu (1170-1204) -Commander-
    Loyalty: 7
    Dread:2

Kasimmudevle Aksungur (1230-1266) -Commander-
    Loyalty: 6
    Acumen:2

OTTOMAN HEROES

Aleaddin Ali Bey (Osman and Orhan Gazi’s Vizier) (1300-59)
    Loyalty: 9
    Piety:5
    Command:7
    Acumen:8

Akcakoca (Orhan Gazi's famous commander) (1288-1353)
    Dread: 5
    Acumen: 2

Candarli Ali Pasa (Murad I and Bayezid I’s Vizier) (1359-1402)
    Loyalty:9
    Piety:6
    Dread.:0
    Command:6
    Acumen: 8

Candarli Ibrahim Pasa (Mehmed I and Murat II’s Vizier)(1401-1444)
    Loyalty:9
    Dread:1
    Command:6
    Acumen:7

Candarli Halil Pasa (Murat II and Mehmet II’s Vizier)(1410-1463)
    Piety:8
    Acumen: 9

Yunus Emre (Alim) (Birth year not known - died 1321)
    - Brought large amounts of people to Islamic faith by his poems and Islamic teachings. Still, his poems are widely known in modern Turkey.

MALE NAMES
    - Afsin
    - Akalp
    - Akbatun
    - Akcebe
    - Akin
    - Alpay
    - Alp
    - Atakan
    - Ayhan
    - Bahadir
    - Balaban
    - Balamir
    - Barbaros
    - Baris
    - Barkin
    - Barlas
    - Bugra
    - Bumin
    - Cengiz
    - Ceyhun
    - Çaglar
    - Çagri
    - Daghan
    - Dalokay
    - Dinç
    - Dogan
    - Dursun
    - Efekan
    - Emre
    - Erdogan
    - Eren
    - Ertugrul
    - Görkem
    - Gültekin
    - Günhan
    - Gürhan
    - Hakan
    - Ilgaz
    - Iraz
    - Ilhan
    - Ilkay
    - Kaan
    - Kartal
    - Ogün
    - Oguz
    - Okan
    - Orbay
    - Orçun
    - Orhan
    - Orkun
    - Ökmen
    - Önder
    - Sancar
    - Sargin
    - Selçuk
    - Sergen
    - Serkan
    - Sungur
    - Tarkan
    - Tayfun
    - Timur
    - Tolga
    - Tugrul
    - Tunca
    - Turan
    - Turgay
    - Ugur
    - Uygur

Heir name list (heirs have only Celebi secondary name)

Osman
    Orhan
    Murat
    Bayezid
    Mehmet
    Selim
    Süleyman
    Cem
    Mustafa

FEMALE NAMES

- Abakay
    - Akay
    - Alev
    - Akhatun
    - Asena
    - Aypare
    - Basak
    - Birce
    - Burçak
    - Ceren
    - Ceylan
    - Deniz
    - Dicle
    - Ece
    - Idil
    - Ilbike
    - Ipek
    - Maral
    - Oya
    - Oylum
    - Parla
    - Pinar
    - Selda
    - Tuna

MALE SECONDARY NAMES ( “komutan”s list of secondary names)

- Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Bey
    - Çavus
    - Çavus
    - Çavus
    - Çavus
    - Çavus
    - Çelebi
    - Çelebi
    - Çelebi
    - Arslan
    - Pasa
    - Pasa
    - Pasa
    - Pasa
    - Gazi
    - Gazi
    - Gazi
    - Gazi
    - Han
    - Aga

Women secondary names

- Hatun
    - Sultan
    - Kadin

Tradable goods in Asia minor

Spices: saffron, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace, pepper, salt, and sugar.
    Drugs: opium, balm of mithridate, arsenic, benjamin (the balsamic resin, benzion), mirobolani (an astringent plum-like fruit), and perfumes.
    Textiles: silk (green, blue, red), crimson damask, crimson velvet, camlets, cotton, linens, carpets.
    Foods: wheat, barley, millet, raisins, olive oil, oranges, lemons, rhubarb, wines (malmsey, madeira).
    Dyes: Cochineal (red), indigo (blue).
    Luxuries: gold dust, slaves, copper, quicksilver, coral, Chinese porcelain, Lemnian earth, precious stones, pearls, frankincense, sandalwood, alum, gum arabic, glass trinkets, mirrors, wallpaper, furs.

I was unable to find a precise division of these goods into the provinces. These are Ottoman tradable goods in Asia Minor, but the source does not deal with more precise assesment.

- Agriculture-wise the most fertile region under Ottoman rule was the Anatolia and the valley between Euphrates and Tigris. Rum, Nicaea, Anatolia and Lesser Armenia are high income provinces in general.

- All of the Asia Minor provinces have high risk of earthquake.

- Trebizond, Edessa and Nicaea are floodable areas.

Notes:

1) On who did what type of information on rulers go here for Seljuks link

and here for Ottomans: link

2) Although I know that none of these units will make it into the mod because of limited unit count, I put them here to present historical names of the existing units, and/or to create substitutes for will be extracted units.

Though the above list can be enriched to a great deal. Also I know I need to provide some skeches to build unit graphics. Slowly...sloooowwlyy...

Tradable goods in Asia minor

Spices: saffron, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace, pepper, salt, and sugar.
    Drugs: opium, balm of mithridate, arsenic, benjamin (the balsamic resin, benzion), mirobolani (an astringent plum-like fruit), and perfumes.
    Textiles: silk (green, blue, red), crimson damask, crimson velvet, camlets, cotton, linens, carpets.
    Foods: wheat, barley, millet, raisins, olive oil, oranges, lemons, rhubarb, wines (malmsey, madeira).
    Dyes: Cochineal (red), indigo (blue).
    Luxuries: gold dust, slaves, copper, quicksilver, coral, Chinese porcelain, Lemnian earth, precious stones, pearls, frankincense, sandalwood, alum, gum arabic, glass trinkets, mirrors, wallpaper, furs.

I was unable to find a precise division of these goods into the provinces. These are Ottoman tradable goods in Asia Minor, but the source does not deal with more precise assesment.

- Agriculture-wise the most fertile region under Ottoman rule was the Anatolia and the valley between Euphrates and Tigris. Rum, Nicaea, Anatolia and Lesser Armenia are high income provinces in general.

- All of the Asia Minor provinces have high risk of earthquake.

- Trebizond, Edessa and Nicaea are floodable areas.
    Lol, I hope some of those trade goods were existing when Byzantium had Anatolia

Wraithdt and I selected the Turks as a effort for concepts. :D

Hey guys, I'm going to release a new update of the research template soon.

PM ur email addresses
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-12-2006 at 06:39.

OFFICIAL MTR ANNOUNCEMENT!!

THE 2006 MISS MEDIEVAL CONTEST!!

Just like Miss Universe, we have the medieval version!!

All contestants from:
    1) Christen-dom
    2) Dar-al-Islam
    3) Pagan-dom

will compete for the prestigious title of "Miss Medieval"

Our concept artists/skinners/modellers/anyone in the MTR is asked to submit a contestant for the Miss Medieval Contest.

Requirements:
    1) A rendered picture (no photographs back then :D) of the contestant, no nudity!! Thats sinfully punishable by death!!...except maybe if ur from Pagan-dom but its still punishable by death. Make it modest and make it medieval Send as many entries as possible.

2) A personality profile including the following biodata -
    Weight:
    Piety level out of 10:

3) Provide answers to the following questions:
    a) If I was Miss Medieval I would like to use my influence to:
    b) If there was one thing I wish for in the world it would be:
    c) If I was to be a queen of a state, it would be:
    d) If I was a man, the kind of soldier I'd be would be a:
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-12-2006 at 06:54.

First of all, you guys are Gods!

i think this project, has a load of potential, and with the new possibilites of M2TW, and the talend of the MTR, the mod can be something Big and Bad.

But first of all some comments of mine.

You guys should increase the number of provinces in England and perhaps France. If M2TW is still going to rely on 1 city/castle per province, than this is something you should reconsider.

Why is "Rus" a united Empire? I'm not too familiar with Russian history, but wasn't there division since death of Yaroslav? I understand, that the Rurikids during this period, were prety close with each other but the unity implied is somewhat dangerous.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Saweet Idea kataphractoi! Ill try my best to bring a hottie from Al-Maghrib!
    Last edited by beauchamp; 08-12-2006 at 16:25.

Ya Misr!

In response to SaberHRE: Well, yes, there was division, but the major events of this breaking happened just after 1066, and at the end of 1066, when Vseslav of Polotsk first attacked Novgorod, and then went on to strike at the heart, Kiev, and the surrounding principalities. With that, the Rus faction was also attacked by the Polovtsi to the south (better known as the Cumans I suppose).

You could see that it is difficult to make one faction out of the heirs of Yaroslav the Wise, but at this time, in 1066, it's still acceptable to make one Rus faction. But I see Polotsk already split from this. Iziaslav, the Grand Prince then, with his brothers still united against Vseslav, so you see there was still a bond. But they were beaten very badly by Vseslav, who even managed to conquer Kiev, but was then 'betrayed' and put in chains.

In the beginning of the 12th century, Vladimir Monomakh managed to stabilise everything to a certain level, but after that we have the Mongols coming, and you know what then happened. Only Novgorod, which by then had become a Republic governed by the Vetche, managed to avoid the greater damage done to the rest of ye old Rus.

By the way Sabre is a member of MTR
    We've recieved many members that I keep forgetting out team registars!!
    I happened to chat to another new member, he is a skinner/modeller.
    We also have Madtao from TWC, another talented skinner/modeller.

You guys should increase the number of provinces in England and perhaps France. If M2TW is still going to rely on 1 city/castle per province, than this is something you should reconsider.

Why is "Rus" a united Empire? I'm not too familiar with Russian history, but wasn't there division since death of Yaroslav? I understand, that the Rurikids during this period, were prety close with each other but the unity implied is somewhat dangerous
    We're working with a province limit of 199 like RTW. But I am always looking to add more provinces if possible.

Rus is not united in 1066, it only has the "facade" of appearing united. IN the game, the Rus is internally UNstable. A plyer will find that this facade of unity breaks down after a couple of turns. Remembber, this starts as an internal matter before it becomes a battle between the principality states!!
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-12-2006 at 16:50.

[IMG][/IMG]

Theirs the major cities of my sphere of reasearch, next Ill do maps of the nations and timeperiods.

Ya Misr!

So you are gonna split them? For I have found numerous sources, including the Primary Chronicle, that during the debacle with Vseslav, they were nog broken yet, and all the principalities were ruled of Iziaslav, Sviatoslav, Vsevolod (the three brothers) or their children.

But I gather you want to make it a bit more fun, and challenging for the player to truly unite and stabilise the region... I will confide in the thought that everything we know from the past, out of the sources we have, is not to be trusted 100%, so I'll concur.

Ive added another province for the Moors so that Sijilmassi has its own province, will release new map soon.

To Cadmus,
    Rus will have all its territories as upon the death of Yaroslav but within a few years of playing from the year 1066, the player will find his Rus state shattered by internal rebellions. This is where we intend the "real" breakup of the Kievn Rus into smaller priincipalities.

So no, they won't be split

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kataphraktoi
    Are we talking about Branicevo - Pomoravlje? If so, yes I did mispell it :laugh4
    I only noticed it after I saved it as a gif file. And also Beligrad, I spelt it as Beligread...bad!
    I will send you e-mail and write what is wrong spelled. Cumans control some wrong provinces, according to the new map (revision 3, I think). And location of Ragusa is again wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmus
    And starting date is... 1066? Which is very good. There is strife amongst the heirs of the Rus
    According to Primary Chronicle (Повесть временных лет) in 1067 was war between Vseslav (son of Bryatchislavov) and three Yaroslavitch: Izyaslav, Svyatoslav and Vsevolod.
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 08-13-2006 at 09:46.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Holy Roman Empire

1066(Early)

Ruler: Henry IV

Henry IV is perhaps best known for his fight against Hilberand of Rome aka Gregory VII "The mad man of Canossa :P". It was worth however to understand who he really was. Born into the Salian(or sometimes known as Franconian) dynasty he was a product of his age, not concious of the changes occuring in his times. Like his father Henry IV tried to assume a strong imperial rule, for many of his subjects a tyrannical and absolute rule.
    His policies of extending the royal domain and strengthening the royal rights in particular were disliked by the Saxon freemen. Germany at the time was no feudal state. It was based upon local traditions and the new factor: feudalism. The great dukes were sometimes considered leaders of tribal states, known as stem duchies. All of Henry's subjects being freemen, serfdom being at it's infancy evolved only till Conrad III.

In creating a MTR Henry IV character we might consider few things:

a good command: around 5
    a good acumen: 5-6
    a weak/shattered influence: 3
    a small piety: 1-3

Important generals:

Anti-imperial camp:

Magnus Billung

Magnus from the mighty saxon Billung clan is the son of Ordulf, current duke of Saxony. Like most of his subjects he opposes Henry's abbortive policies and leads an rebellion with saxon insurgents known as the "Saxon revolt". A man of rather mediocre military knowledge me makes it up by having a lot of support from his subjects(so this could be represented by giving him a big army, which will revolt with him).

weak command: 1-2
    average acumen: 3-4
    good piety: 4-6
    very low loyalty

Otto von Nordheim

Otto von Nordheim is a very interesting character, whose personalities is much weaved by legends. He is like Magnus a Saxon, coming from the influential Nordheim clan. Bestowed with the Duchy of Bavaria by the queen-mother Agnes, he enjoys a good reputation, which is shattered when he joins the rebellion with his fellow Saxons. He does not receive support from his stem Duchy, having relied most on his Saxon estates. As a leader he is well respected, for both courage and military prowess.

very good command: 5-6
    appalling acumen: 1
    average piety: 3-4
    low loyalty

traits:
    some sort of courage and military skill traits

Fine leader
    Chivalrous(i bet there is going to be such a trait :D)

Rudolph von Rheinfelden

Perhaps the most senior leader of the anti-imperial camp. Duke of Swabia and imperial magister of Burgundy. Probably the most powerful man in the Empire. At first he is a supporter of Henry, sending his Swabians many times into Thuringia and Saxony, however when the investiture conflict takes places he shows his true face by abandoning Henry, and in consequence is chosen anti-King. He receives support from most of his lands and those of Imperial Burgundy(dynasties such as Longwy, Salm). He is a skilled and trusted leader(he died in bitter close-combat fight, after loosing most companions and his right arm!)

Lesser magnates of Anti-imperial camp:
    Hermann von Salm
    Henry of Luxembourg
    Egbert of Meissen
    Hartwig von Magdeburg, bishop
    Burchard von Halberstadt, bishop

Imperial Camp

Frederich von Hohenstaufen

A man of rather obscure or ambigious origin. He was a Swabian noble who remained loyal to Henry IV, and in recognition was rewarded with the Emperor's daughter's hand and the duchy of Swabia.

Henry of Ostmark, also known as Henry von Wettin
    A man like Frederich of rather obscure origin when compared to great magnates of anti-imperial camp. He was the son of Dedo, and soon margrave of Lusatia and of Ostmark(Austria, which exchanged hands few times between Bohemians, Wettins and Babenbergs).

Wracislaw of Bohemia
    Probably the most successful Bohemian King and most senior leader to imperial camp. Brave, wise, handsome he is the Roland of his age. His loyalty to the Emperor is absolute, though he was rather mildly rewarded for his services. More to that he was a pious and humble man. His relations were cooled down only when the Emperor broke the promises of Lusatia and Ostmark.

I will try to make a list of units soon

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

I'll start doing some real work on the military units when I get home (Will have what I need to do that then). I will also perhaps determine which cities/ports should be in each province, I'll order some more books while here so I can manage the rest as well.
    Should I also perhaps do things for Syria? Just wondering because both the Ayyubids and the Mamluks controlled Syria (as well as Jazirah) and the Fatimids controlled parts of Syria...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

I have an important question regarding gameplay.

We all rememer the squalor in RTW, but not all of us know how to do deal with it. I'm tired of slaughtering my cities every time they reach a big population, this is wrong. In Middle Ages, slaughter of a city was considered a great offence, and such offence was not quickly forgotten. Just take the Mongols who often slaughtered people. There was some sort of prayer of German peasants made in 13th century which made it well into mid 14th century "Lord save us from the wraths of the Tatars".

Further, "city" revolts or in general revolts took place rather rarely. In a city of 10000, if 7000 people are homeless beggars nobody cared, and nobody revolted. Two reasons, it was a rule, and reason two they did not have weapos because there beggars.

My point being in general is that, we should seriously limit the influence of squalor on "rebel mood"(if CA still leaves the squalor system just like it is in RTW).

Thanks Kataphractoi, I was going to suggest that Sijilimasa get its own province.

Ya Misr!

All hail the first contestant to Miss Medieval!

- If I was Miss Medieval I would like to use my influence to: Get a very rich (and very old) husband, with lots of power and no male heirs whatsoever.
    - If there was one thing I wish for in the world it would be: One of those nifty Pope hats – they look very stylish.
    - If I was to be a queen of a state, it would be: A state of chaos
    - If I was a man, the kind of soldier I'd be would be: the kind of soldier that would do everything and anything for Miss Medieval, willing to lay down his life for her at a moments notice and give her any spoils of war he may come across. In essence, be a role model which all the other soldiers could follow.
    Medieval: Total Realism

@ SabreHRE

Don't post research information on factions here, but keep it in a research template like this.

http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynex...chTemplate.doc

It saves us a lot of space here for discussion.

@DukeofSerbia
    I think Cadmus was earlier expressing how he was glad that the date was 1066 and not after because of the conflict in 1067.

And yes, i did notice the wrong location of Ragusa.

I'll start doing some real work on the military units when I get home (Will have what I need to do that then). I will also perhaps determine which cities/ports should be in each province, I'll order some more books while here so I can manage the rest as well.
    Should I also perhaps do things for Syria? Just wondering because both the Ayyubids and the Mamluks controlled Syria (as well as Jazirah) and the Fatimids controlled parts of Syria...
    That should be fine, Cebei's information on Anatolia overlaps with mine, but thats fine.

@Publius, definitely suitable for heretic burning if not a sacrificial pyre

HASHASHIN!!!

Hi one and all, I have another announcement.

Wraithdt, he of the Gothic MAA and Hashashin fame has volunteered to do the loading screens for MTR:AOA, he has asked me to compile a list of possible loading screen depictions. I urged MTR members and other org members to suggest their own top 5 loading screen subjects.

Eg. Top 5 selections:
    1) Battle of Manzikert
    2) Saladin on horseback in the sunset
    3) A scene from the 100 years war
    4) Genghis Khan on horseback
    5) The Hagia Sophia

Remember, not all suggestions listed will be depicted...so to make sure your suggestion has a good chance of being depicted, provide interesting descriptions.

I will compile all suggestions into a document and send it to Wraithdt for him to peruse at leisure.
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-14-2006 at 05:46.

1) French knights trudging through mud (and of course dying) at Agincourt
    2) Good shot of the artillery at work (impact on walls might be good)
    3) Scene from the inquisition (not sure how you would do it, but perhaps dungeon with instruments of torture on walls, and then some shadows projected onto the walls of people?)
    4) Heretics burnt at the stake
    5) Pope sitting in the Vatican (probably doing something, say ordering a war or blessing kneeling knights or something)
    Medieval: Total Realism

1) janissaries storming the walls of const.
    2) the mongol cav charging polish cav at the battle of liegnitz with henryk pobozny's head on a pike.
    3) a shot of alp-arslan accompanied by possibly 2 generals standing on a lage hill overlooking the marching byz. army (thisd would count as manzikert)
    4) battle of grunwald (tannenberg)
    5) teutonic knights "converting" prussians

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

1) Crusaders breaking into Jerusalem (going berserk)
    2) A picture of the siege engines bombarding the walls of Acre in 1291 (I think the Mamluks built over 80 counter-weight mangonels for that battle, some of them being the largest ever built, as well as a large number of smaller engines for providing covering fire
    3) A picture from the Alibegensian Crusade, preferably depicting the papal legate (don't remember his name) telling that knight (don't remember his name :P) "Kill them all, God will know his own"
    4) Muslim clerics attempting to convert Templars after the battle of Hattin (those who did not convert were immediately executed)
    5) The last grandmaster of the Templars burnt at the stake
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast