Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

I just want to pop in with the following post:

My PC is undergoing repairs at the moment and i'm still doing exams, I'm not going to get it back until I'm finished. It just distracts me. :)

A small question to Kataphraktoi: Could you please send me an e-mail with the subject I will be researching? I have been waiting for some time now and I would like to get started with researching. :)

See you all around. I will pop in on IRC when exams are done.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

Just have one thing that I'd like to say. Since I'm pretty decent at drawing (Though not clearly as good as Wraithdt and the other guys) I could if you want draw concept art sketches for my own factions so that you have less work to do... I've drawn sketches of two types of Armenian soldiers so far...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

i saw yesterday at my local museum new drawings with all the wariors who passed into Romania from crusader knights on their way to Jerusalem to fanatical turks.could i reasearch something about that?and what do you use for drawing ?and do you model 3 d units with 3 d modeling programs?i have 2 3 d modeling programs and i know that you must be good to make a decent unit...i still have problem modeling the sword.
    When you feel like your pissed, stupid, angry with your morale lower than the flour...think that once you were the first out of 350.000!

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Thematikoi Hoplitai
    https://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?...oplitaifm0.jpg

The thematic infantry in this time period is in dire straits. Deprived of sustenance and their pay, they have been allowed to decay. However, while being ignored, these infantrymen have kept themselves busy on their lands as farmers. Their physique is maintained through hunting and hard labour. They carry a spear, shield and sword as basic equipment. IN fact, they are lucky if they have even these three together.

https://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?...toxotaiwe9.jpg

The Skoutatoi in the top left corner represents the majority of the heavy infantry of Byzantium. Leather/padded corselets and leather/felt caps are commonly used as defensive panoply. For weapons they carry a kontos (4-4.5metres though not portrayed in the drawing), a spatha and a kite-shaped shield.

The Skoutatoi at the bottom represents the heavy infantry that ideally equipped according to the sources. He wears a Klibanion of banded lamellar with pteruges and a lamellar plates covering his upper arm. For his limbs he wears the common splinted type. His helmet is a simply construction with a mail aventail hood attached to it.

THe archer iin the top right corner represents purposefully trained and recruited archers. Again, represented ideally if the equipment is available. He wears padded armour and is equipped with a composite bow, quiver, spatha, handaxe and a small shield. His helmet is of leather construction with padded aventail.

https://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?...hraktoixs7.jpg

Please don't take this as a concept for a unit in MTR:AOA, it is just for fun.
    What if Byzantium never declined after 1071? Could they have produced Kataphraktoi influenced by western and eastern influences in the 1350s?
    WHo knows. Its just for fun

saw yesterday at my local museum new drawings with all the wariors who passed into Romania from crusader knights on their way to Jerusalem to fanatical turks.could i reasearch something about that?and what do you use for drawing ?and do you model 3 d units with 3 d modeling programs?i have 2 3 d modeling programs and i know that you must be good to make a decent unit...i still have problem modeling the sword.
    Lol, i have no idea, cos none of our skinners, modellers talk here often, they are busy with their own projects
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 08-29-2006 at 05:29.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Those imaginary Kataphraktoi look sweet!

I those kind of units did exist, but they were not called Kataphraktoi(talking about 1400 period)

Did they? Well in that case they propably were foreign mercenaries, as with nearly all the effective units in the Byzantine army during the middle-ages...

Also just thought I'd post it here... here is a WIP list of units for the Fatimid Caliphate... Would be grateful for any help with the names, as said in the research template the names should preferably be in the faction's native tongue... and I don't speak Arabic... Not necessary for the agents though I think.

Armenian Bowmen
    Armenian Cavalry
    Saharan Cavalry
    Daylamite Infantry
    Daylamite Caliphal Guards
    Sudani (Black African Infantry)
    Nubian Longbowmen
    Abyssinian Guarsds (Palace troops)
    Hawwallah Labour Corps (Rabble like infantry with sapping ability)
    Jund Misr (Cairo Militia)
    Ghulams (Palace troops)
    Ahdath Urban Militia (Light, Heavy and Missile types)
    Naffatun (Fire corps)
    (Urbanized) Arab Faris
    Arab Tribesmen
    Arabian Infantry
    Bedouin horsemen
    Bedouin Camel Warriors
    Saharan (Berber) Cavalry (Could be called Tuareg since they were effectively their precursors)
    Berber Tribesmen
    Ismaili missionary (Heretic priest)
    Emissary
    Spy
    Assassin (perhaps hashishin, because the Fatimids had close ties with them)
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 08-29-2006 at 21:28.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan
    Did they? Well in that case they propably were foreign mercenaries, as with nearly all the effective units in the Byzantine army during the middle-ages...
    I wouldn't call them Cataphracts... They were basically knights, many being foreigners, but still I can remember from somewhere "Greek Knights". Oh well nevermind.

O btw have you seen the recent screenies. Mounted cannons on elephants! http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/aa.jpg

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

@Randarkmaan: Just PM me the names and Ill get them translated, It might take some time because I am just starting school again .

Ya Misr!

It might take some time because I am just starting school again
    Same with me, painful aint it? I am trying to take it seriously so I will mainly get work done in the weekends... BTW I sent you a PM
    -Stephen Fry

great work fella's, may i ask a couple of questions:

1) it appear that you have removed America (good decision) in order to allow greater faction variety in eurasia, if you do get 30 factions to play with how far will you extend the game eastwards? it would be cool to have some of the more notable eastern empires/kingdoms.

2) RTW:BI apparently introduced some sophistication to the religious mechanics that allowed modders to simulate religious schisms, how sophisticated do you believe you can be with making the shia faction/s display as more than just heretics? will you consider a reformation event in the 15th century.

3) some RTW modders managed to create a four season year from the standard two seasons, given how unpopular the M2:TW time mechanics have proved with fans do you intend to implement somethings similar to a fixed multi season year for time passing?

regards

PGtips

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

As per request, I have made you guys a forum at www.medievaltw.com.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

1) it appear that you have removed America (good decision) in order to allow greater faction variety in eurasia, if you do get 30 factions to play with how far will you extend the game eastwards? it would be cool to have some of the more notable eastern empires/kingdoms.

2) RTW:BI apparently introduced some sophistication to the religious mechanics that allowed modders to simulate religious schisms, how sophisticated do you believe you can be with making the shia faction/s display as more than just heretics? will you consider a reformation event in the 15th century.

3) some RTW modders managed to create a four season year from the standard two seasons, given how unpopular the M2:TW time mechanics have proved with fans do you intend to implement somethings similar to a fixed multi season year for time passing?
    1) depends on province limit, and so far, the province limit has meant we can't really expanded that much east.

2) well, it seems the hardcode won't allow a distinct SHia religious identity so we have to subsume it under heretics, however, there will be a distinct Shia tech tree for Shia factions like the Egyptians early on with an option for turning to Sunni Islam. There are implications for this but I'd rather not say now. Its not because of any secrets, but rather, its just that we haven't planned that much on this issue as yet.

3) Most likely, yes.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Quote Originally Posted by kataphraktoi
    1) depends on province limit, and so far, the province limit has meant we can't really expanded that much east.

2) well, it seems the hardcode won't allow a distinct SHia religious identity so we have to subsume it under heretics, however, there will be a distinct Shia tech tree for Shia factions like the Egyptians early on with an option for turning to Sunni Islam. There are implications for this but I'd rather not say now. Its not because of any secrets, but rather, its just that we haven't planned that much on this issue as yet.

3) Most likely, yes.
    many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, if i may distract you just a moment more:

1) what are the province limits? are they like the faction limits in that you hope for 30 but plan for 21?

2) is there any plan to allow for certain western euro nations and england to break away in a reformation event?

3) is there any preference at this stage for a two season or four season year?

regards

PG tips

1) what are the province limits? are they like the faction limits in that you hope for 30 but plan for 21?

2) is there any plan to allow for certain western euro nations and england to break away in a reformation event?

3) is there any preference at this stage for a two season or four season year?
    1) 199 plus sea

2) mod only goes up to 1453 and maybe 1492

3) we haven't thought about it, the 4 season year is my personal preference.

i thought the province limit turned out to be higher

apparently they confused 255 with province limit, it turns out 255 is the model limit for units, not provinces.

Hi guys, good news, we have our own dev forum at www.twcenter.net !!!

But now the question is this....what about the password?

PM me.
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 09-02-2006 at 16:01.

From most beatifull city on dunjaluk Mostar,Bosna..now in cold Norway thanks to neighbouring primitives...

Hello everyone!

Great concept arts! If any of you are nearly goos to 3d moddeling as making that concept art, than this mod is going to kick ass!

Anyway, I will be lurking here from time to time ;)

You say wrong things at wrong times ALL the time!
    You'r mouth is like a fabric of mistakes!- Lana (My Girlfriend)

Pls can i play with some faction,when the game is released?
    When you feel like your pissed, stupid, angry with your morale lower than the flour...think that once you were the first out of 350.000!

I was browsing through my old M:TW modding files and came across some work I made for a mod. Perhaps it is usefull for you, mostly 15th century though. (the greens and purples are because of M:TWs faction colouring)
    Lol, I forgot to thank you Duke John for ur pics They look great!!

I suppose you're already in a modding project?

Great work!
    The mod will become amazing with so many ambitious and hard-working people behind it. All these ideas and proposals, incredible. I am thinking about becoming a researcher as well... but it seems you have enough, haven't you?! Otherwise I could do some research about the HRE e.g. Let me know when you need someone for something like that, i am a only a student but i am massivly interested in medieval history.
    “It is more difficult to destroy a prejudice than an atom.”

Great work!
    The mod will become amazing with so many ambitious and hard-working people behind it. All these ideas and proposals, incredible. I am thinking about becoming a researcher as well... but it seems you have enough, haven't you?! Otherwise I could do some research about the HRE e.g. Let me know when you need someone for something like that, i am a only a student but i am massivly interested in medieval history.
    Specify which faction you want to research for.

If you want to research for HRE, PM cutepuppy and SabreHRE.

Attention all members, latest version of research template and important accompanying notes for them. Its a must read!!

Will be posting a partial unit list for the Byzantines on the developer's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by McFloit
    Great work!
    Welcome to the Team!

Kataphraktoi, a question. As a military researcher for HRE i've decided to limit the "special" unique units of HRE for early and high to 2 maybe 3. Need to know your attitude about that. The reason for this huge reduction, is the fact that, for example i don't recognise some units(such as alledged Thurngian archers), as special units. Some regions were famed of their military. Franconia was known for her knights, fine, but that doesn't give her a special Franconian Knights Unit. So would'ya think about it?

Kataphraktoi, a question. As a military researcher for HRE i've decided to limit the "special" unique units of HRE for early and high to 2 maybe 3. Need to know your attitude about that. The reason for this huge reduction, is the fact that, for example i don't recognise some units(such as alledged Thurngian archers), as special units. Some regions were famed of their military. Franconia was known for her knights, fine, but that doesn't give her a special Franconian Knights Unit. So would'ya think about it?
    My opinion is that you should identify as many units as possible, but not because of implementing every single unit, but rather to give us the flexibility and choice to pick and choose which ones are appropiate when the time comes for developing the unit lists. I agree, if a region is famed for certain units, I don't think there should be a unit named after the region unless there is a strong historical basis which names them as "Franconian Knights unit".
    Moreover, we may script advantages for certain regions or something like that.

SabreHRE do u have the password for TWC?

MTR Researcher for the Rus Member Cadmus's Avatar

Hi there to all. How's work progressing? Only a couple of months and a new horizon will rise.
    Oh, and check this. I don't know what I did to distress CA and give us this :p
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/731/731089p1.html
    Anyway, there timeline starts later, as such some units they included I've not found yet, but I'll check with my professor when lessons start again.
    And so it seems they are keeping the eras, but in another way, so I'm very curious. They start with Princes, then they have Tsars (unless they have already a Tsar included from the start, and Prince Vladimir is his son, the son from Vsevolod as mentioned and as history tells us).

Успеха!
    "Knighted by the Chevaliers de Sangreal, Lasiurus rises to enter the Kingdom of Light and Shadow"

kataphraktoi yes i do have an account and password for TWC why do you ask?

ohh... I just seen the thread on TWC. No i haven't got the password yet.

Why is there no edit option?

Amir of the office desk Member Cebei's Avatar

Hello, your Turkish researcher has returned from vacation. Can somebody give me a link to the discussion forum of this mod? Or are we continuing from here?
    When the game ends, peon and king go into the same box.

Um - The 'close ties' the Fatimids had with the Hashishin were that the Hashishin spent their time killing off the Egyptian noteables (I think Shahanshah's death was attributed to the Hashishin).

The Hashishin were a Nizari cult (from the older brother of Caliph Ahmad al-Musta'li, who was deposed in favour of the latter). An-Nizar rebelled and was defeated, Hassan i-Sabah (I think) fled to Iran and began mustering armies, murdering Sunnites and Shi'ites and spreading Nizarism.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Hmm... The Hashishin were Ismaili shia-muslims just as the Fatimids and as far as I know most of their murders where carried out agaisnt the Abbasids of Baghdad...
    However I don't know that much about them, so you're probably right...
    Oh, and I said "perhaps"
    -Stephen Fry

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast