Thread: 3d sound failed to initialize

Default 3d sound failed to initialize

I get that message everytime I have tryed to open RTW after reinstalling it. I have tryed installing the latest video card drivers. Thanks in advance.

My specs

712mb of ram
    Navidia Gg force 64MB video card.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Boy's Guard Moderator LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Re: 3d sound failed to initialize

Seems some kind of DirectX problem. Try doing this:

Start > Run > Type "dxdiag", hit OK > Click "Yes" or "No" if something about WHQL certificates is asked, doesn't matter which one> In the new window, click "Sound" tab above > Drag "Hardware Acceleration Level" (sp?) to "None" > Hit "Exit" > See if it works > If it does, I'd like a beer.

Diddn't work
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

SorBlade15, God's Grace Member The Spartan (Returns)'s Avatar

ha! no beer for you LEN!

Try clicking Start Menu, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, & Device Manager (assuming you're using Windows XP). Once Device Manager is open, look for any yellow question marks or red "X" marks - especially within the "Sound, video, & game controllers" section. If there are any present, it means your hardware isn't configured properly, and you'll need to load drivers or make other changes.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Boy's Guard Moderator LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    ha! no beer for you LEN!
    In such situations, best drink is a cup of cold water.

DestHope, Geezer57 makes a nice suggestion as usual. Let's ee if there's anything hardware-related.

Sorry for the delay I was gone for a week, there are no xs or marks
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Sorry for the delay I was gone for a week, there are no xs or marks
    Well, that mostly means the O/S has detected the hardware and has an audio driver it assumes works. Since the DXdiag.exe thing didn't provide any useful info this time, I'd open up the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the Audio tab, and look at the Sound Playback box - is your device listed? If so, click on the "Advanced Audio Properties" button, select the "Performance" tab, and see where your Hardware Acceleration is set - you want it on "Full".

If that's all O.K., then I'm stumped for now.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

The acceleration was set at none so I switched it to full but it didn't make a difference. By the way: thanks for helping me.
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    The acceleration was set at none so I switched it to full but it didn't make a difference. By the way: thanks for helping me.
    You're more than welcome - we all have to start somewhere!

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas on your problem - anyone else have any thoughts?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Defend Your Castle Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I yes.
    Run dxdiag.In sound make a Test of DirectXsound.Comment us the results

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

im having the exact sam problem. pm me if you find how to fix plz

hi guys, i got the same problem.

/bump

I had the same problem, when i asked (on a different thread) a suggested problem was a scratched disk, which my disk is a little battered and to solve the problem i did nothing more than clean my disk, try that
    hope this helps.

I have same problem if oyu know how to solve it pm me

I just figured out how to fix this. I JUST did it right NOW actually (Literally) and what was wrong was i had installed Roma W/e (to lazy to minimize and look :P ) into a folder in "downloads" even though i knew it said it wouldnt work. However i didnt have the same paths in the real folder in the "Programs(x87)" or w/e, so i just decided to try it like that. After setting it to open with the Rome.exe thing, i ran it, and it came up with that same error. Here's how to fix it, nothing complicated like others said! Just go to the Roma installer, run it, And PUT it in the "Rome total war" folder, which is in "The Creative Assembly" (IN PROGRAMS(x87) SECTION) You dont even have to uninstal it first! Tell me if this helps! actually, just e-mail me if it works or doesnt work, (I'll post after this post, seeing as your post count has to be one or higher, and this is my first :P) just e-mail and i'll send you step by step screen shots! (If you're not allowed to post e-mails on this, please make this one exception, because i googled this problem to find a solution, and when i couldnt, and found it myself, i thought back at how disappointed i was, and tought i'd help everyone out!!) :) So ya, e-mail me Thanks if it works, or questions if it doesnt, but this worked for me, so.. :P

b-biscuit@hotmail.ca is my e-mail, guys

(EDIT) Sry, forgot you forum people hate multiple posts in a row and prefer you to edit.. :3
    Last edited by bartman132; 05-29-2011 at 02:15. Reason: Forgot about spam

So... did everyone having this issue have a 64bit OS?
    "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington

im going to guess i get this because im using a laptop. here are my system details and stuff:
    windows 7 64 bit home premium
    the model is a HP G62 if this helps
    processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor with 2.20 GHz
    RAM 4.00 GB (3.74 GB usable)

hope someone can find a solution other than not using a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    I get that message everytime I have tryed to open RTW after reinstalling it. I have tryed installing the latest video card drivers. Thanks in advance.

My specs

712mb of ram
    Navidia Gg force 64MB video card.
    I had this problem when trying to use a mounted image. It's a problem with the installed files, when i installed it with the disc it created 3D sound files, and when i installed it with the mounted image it did not. All i had to do was copy the files from the physical CD installation to the mounted CD installation files.

However, i am trying to install it again now with the mounted CD and it has not installed the sound files again, so i cannot tell you what the folder was called that included these files. Am currently looking for a place where i can download the files.